Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to interview Darrell Bevell

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 05:33 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-11-2019, 05:24 PM)JagsTilTheEnd Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 05:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I was trying to type two different things in different tabs. I didn't even notice that. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix it. Maybe I should try to do one thing at a time. I'm a terrible multi-tasker. My bad.  Blush

So what you are saying is you don't remember it then?

I do remember it. I was on two different chat boards at once in two different tabs and I wrote part of a sentence meant for one chat board on the wrong tab. Obviously, Seattle and New Orleans can't be in the same Superbowl. I learned a lesson. Never try to carry on two conversations at once, on a computer. It's a recipe for disaster. I should've proof read it before I hit send. I take full responsibility for the mix up.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-11-2019, 03:23 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Lockett 2016 season tape cut-up:

From the summary (a few seconds in the video you get to see numbers of targets/routes) 

"With Tyler Lockett finally returning to the practice field, I felt it was time to do a film update. For this video, I tracked his 66 targets from his 2016 season and looked at the general trends of his role in the Seahawks’ offense. Since I did this last offseason, his potential change in role was actually of more interest to me. Well after studying his tape, his role was actually largely the same as it was last season.

Based on his tape, a large portion of his role in the Seahawks’ offense was to horizontally stretch the defense. Quick bubble screens made up a good portion of his routes. In many zone based schemes like Alex Gibbs’ for example, teams will use outside zone to move the linebackers. Bubble screens in Seattle’s offense accomplish the same thing."

LOL this thread is getting fun.

Thanks for posting that.

FWIW -  17.8% of Lockett's 2016 targets were screens.

Also interesting to note that the NFL's next gen stats began their collecting in Bevells 2016 season in Seattle.
Russell Wilson ranked smack dab in the middle of the pack in the "Air yards to the sticks" category. 
If you aren't familiar - this is what that means. 

Air Yards to the Sticks (AYTS)-Air Yards to the Sticks  - shows the amount of Air Yards ahead or behind the first down marker on all attempts for a passer. The metric indicates if the passer is attempting his passes past the 1st down marker, or if he is relying on his skill position players to make yards after catch.

If Bevell was calling as many bubble screens as has been repeatedly suggested, Wilson's ranking and numbers there would be much lower.

Might be a while if we have to wait for the Rams to be out of the playoffs for Taylor to get the job officially and then start the interview process.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1...8724335616

Whatever the Jaguars do, they need to have the guts to throw more on early downs. Run first is a losing strategy. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you...y-screwed/

(01-12-2019, 10:47 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Whatever the Jaguars do, they need to have the guts to throw more on early downs. Run first is a losing strategy. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you...y-screwed/

The determination of whether it works or not is the talent on the field.  You can't run on first down more than half the time if you don't have the dogs out there to get you 5 yards or more pretty consistently in that situation. 

The Rams have run on first down tonight 9 times. Working pretty well for them.
(make that 10 times)
(Make that 11 times)
(13)
(14)
(15)

I'm just gonna stop counting now

(01-12-2019, 10:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 10:47 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Whatever the Jaguars do, they need to have the guts to throw more on early downs. Run first is a losing strategy. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you...y-screwed/

The determination of whether it works or not is the talent on the field.  You can't run on first down more than half the time if you don't have the dogs out there to get you 5 yards or more pretty consistently in that situation. 

(make that 10 times)
(Make that 11 times)
(13)
(14)
(15)

Number of runs without 3 out wide? Probably like 3/4 at best. That's where the Jags need to be smarter

(01-13-2019, 12:04 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 10:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The determination of whether it works or not is the talent on the field.  You can't run on first down more than half the time if you don't have the dogs out there to get you 5 yards or more pretty consistently in that situation. 

(make that 10 times)
(Make that 11 times)
(13)
(14)
(15)

Number of runs without 3 out wide? Probably like 3/4 at best. That's where the Jags need to be smarter

LOL
Preaching to the choir. 
Posted this so many times, I should have made it my signature. 

1st down run sets need to present the defense with some challenge beyond "I dare you to tackle #27." They pretty well figured that one out.  Gotta give those LBs and DBs something else to consider.

(01-13-2019, 12:04 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 10:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The determination of whether it works or not is the talent on the field.  You can't run on first down more than half the time if you don't have the dogs out there to get you 5 yards or more pretty consistently in that situation. 

(make that 10 times)
(Make that 11 times)
(13)
(14)
(15)

Totally agree. Rams also have an elite OLine who have started every game together.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 09:36 AM by SeldomRite.)

(01-12-2019, 10:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

(make that 10 times)
(Make that 11 times)
(13)
(14)
(15)

The talent is definitely the biggest part. If the defense feels like you can and will pass on first out of whatever alignment and personnel you're in then they can't do like it seems they do against the Jaguars.

That being said the jaguars don't have receivers that strike fear in the defense lined up wide, so they'd need to do more of just going pass instead of lining up for run with a single receiver split out with the defense feeling like they need to defend pass anyway.

(01-13-2019, 09:29 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 12:04 AM)JackCity Wrote: Number of runs without 3 out wide? Probably like 3/4 at best. That's where the Jags need to be smarter
Totally agree. Rams also have an elite OLine who have started every game together.

Yeah, quality and stability are key. Made me remember this tweet frommid December (our number went even higher as we kept missing starers even after that tweet)

https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...5718016001

These numbers are crazy.

(01-13-2019, 09:29 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

(make that 10 times)
(Make that 11 times)
(13)
(14)
(15)

The talent is definitely the biggest part. If the defense feels like you can and will pass on first out of whatever alignment and personnel you're in then they can't do like it seems they do against the Jaguars.

That being said the jaguars don't have receivers that strike fear in the defense lined up wide, so they'd need to do more of just going pass instead of lining up for run with a single receiver split out with the defense feeling like they need to defend pass anyway.

The Jags caused defenses to load the box their personnel usage most of the time.  After Grant went down - the Jags rarely lined up in run formations that didn't dictate a stacked box in response.
 In the rare cases they did attempt to spread out some receivers and still run the ball, the issues weren't about a lack of respect for the receivers.

It was two things:
  • Teams game-planned week after week to stop the run and let the Jags make errors in the pass game.
  • The offensive line was in shambles - so defenses knew they could stop the run and pressure the QB.
The Jags receiving corps had a bad year of dropped passes, but I don't think opposing staffs didn't respect their ability to get open deep. They just didn't respect that the football would get to them accurately or consistently.