Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to interview Darrell Bevell

I’d look to steal a quarterbacks coach from the Chiefs, Eagles, or Bears. Essentially take a QB coach from the Andy Reid coaching tree.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-01-2019, 08:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lots of folks pretty quick to write off a guy that went to (and won) the Superbowl with a second year QB just a few years ago.

Is he responsible for passing on the 1 yard line and not giving the ball to beast mode? Pretty sure that's why he was unemployed for the past season.

(01-01-2019, 08:36 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 08:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lots of folks pretty quick to write off a guy that went to (and won) the Superbowl with a second year QB just a few years ago.

Is he responsible for passing on the 1 yard line and not giving the ball to beast mode? Pretty sure that's why he was unemployed for the past season.

That is very likely why he went unhired last year. 
I'm not going to judge man's entire body of work by that single decision, but feel free to do so yourself. 

He's the first candidate to be confirmed. There will be more. I don't know much about the guy beyond his track record, which is pretty impressive and includes working with a young QB to great success. It makes sense he'd get an interview in Jax. to me.

(01-01-2019, 08:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 08:36 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Is he responsible for passing on the 1 yard line and not giving the ball to beast mode? Pretty sure that's why he was unemployed for the past season.

That is very likely why he went unhired last year. 
I'm not going to judge man's entire body of work by that single decision, but feel free to do so yourself. 

He's the first candidate to be confirmed. There will be more. I don't know much about the guy beyond his track record, which is pretty impressive and includes working with a young QB to great success. It makes sense he'd get an interview in Jax. to me.

Yeah I don't want to judge him on one decision either, but that was... I mean... just straight up egregious.

Oddly enough Bevell was at one time considered the hot Coordinator for a HC position. Then he threw the football at the goal line in the Super Bowl and his career hasn’t been the same!

I’m very surprised that no team hired him last season. It has to make you wonder why

(01-01-2019, 08:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 08:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He won with a powerhouse defense and a QB that made plays with his feet. I want an OC who can work with a QB, by utilizing his passing abilities and pushing the ball downfield. Not by drawing up bubble screens over and over.

Wilson passed for 3400 yds and rushed for 540 that season. 
26 TDs - 9 INTs and a 8.2 yards per pass attempt

Not really seeing evidence to support your claim here.

That is my proof.

(01-01-2019, 09:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 08:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Wilson passed for 3400 yds and rushed for 540 that season. 
26 TDs - 9 INTs and a 8.2 yards per pass attempt

Not really seeing evidence to support your claim here.

That is my proof.

Quote:He won with a powerhouse defense and a QB that made plays with his feet.
Uh, Wilson averaged 30 yards a game on the ground and yet threw 26 TDs --  but he just "made plays with his feet?"

(01-01-2019, 09:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 09:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That is my proof.

Quote:He won with a powerhouse defense and a QB that made plays with his feet.
Uh, Wilson averaged 30 yards a game on the ground and yet threw 26 TDs --  but he just "made plays with his feet?"

Average NFL QB's don't even rush for 200 yards in an entire season.

(01-01-2019, 09:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 09:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Uh, Wilson averaged 30 yards a game on the ground and yet threw 26 TDs --  but he just "made plays with his feet?"

Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, Tebow.  Some  guys can do it and throw the ball.  Its not like they are Lamar Jackson

Until the NFL eliminates PI spot fouls we need to adapt to this passing league with a new pass happy OC and supporting cast.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(01-01-2019, 10:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 09:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Average NFL QB's don't even rush for 200 yards in an entire season.

Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, Tebow.  Some  guys can do it and throw the ball.  Its not like they are Lamar Jackson

That's funny you included tebow in there lol

(01-01-2019, 09:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Uh, Wilson averaged 30 yards a game on the ground and yet threw 26 TDs --  but he just "made plays with his feet?"

Stop digging, bro. First rule of holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

I think Bevell would be a good hire and play to the strengths of our personnel.

He ran for 539 yards in 19 games.  

8 QBs ran for over 350 yards in the 16 game regular season this year. 

Wilson's running was not a defining element of that offense -- but personally I welcome an OC that can be smart about using his QBs wheels if it's in the player's skillset.

I think Bevell would be a nice upgrade as well.

(01-01-2019, 10:19 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 09:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Average NFL QB's don't even rush for 200 yards in an entire season.

Stop digging, bro. First rule of holes.

Huh?

(01-01-2019, 11:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 10:19 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Stop digging, bro. First rule of holes.

Huh?

It's a problem you seem to have, you're very stubborn when you have a stance and even when people prove you wrong you continue to try and defend your position, and look foolish to most everyone on the board.

(01-01-2019, 11:18 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 11:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Huh?

It's a problem you seem to have, you're very stubborn when you have a stance and even when people prove you wrong you continue to try and defend your position, and look foolish to most everyone on the board.

Because I haven't been proven wrong. Bevell had an elite defense and a QB who utilized his feet to get key yards. He capitalized on his QB's athleticism to gain yards through the air by having DB's crowd the line, looking for the run, pass option. By doing this, they used short, quick throws like bubble screens to move the chains. That kind of strategy only works if you have an athletic QB who is a risk to run. Ideally, we will come out of this draft with a pure drop back passer who can move the ball through the air. Bevell's strategy of moving the chains would be useless if that happens.

(01-01-2019, 08:27 PM)roycee Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 08:20 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Belichick is overhyped because he has Brady. Every coach with a HOF QB looks a lot better. Caldwell would be the #1 GM with Brady on this team and the defense killing teams trying to pass to keep up. Belichick coaching this team would have similar results.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

In 08 with no Brady they were 11-5 and Matt Cassel looked like a great QB.

In '95, the genius Belichick lost twice to an expansion team. In his first 18 games with the Patriots, he was 5-13 and on the verge of being fired before the Jets injured Bledsoe. The rest is history. 

Belichick is just another guy. A guy that hit the lottery. 

I should also note the Patriots missed the playoffs the year you mentioned. Doubtful that would have happened with Brady.

(01-01-2019, 11:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 11:18 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: It's a problem you seem to have, you're very stubborn when you have a stance and even when people prove you wrong you continue to try and defend your position, and look foolish to most everyone on the board.

Because I haven't been proven wrong. Bevell had an elite defense and a QB who utilized his feet to get key yards. He capitalized on his QB's athleticism to gain yards through the air by having DB's crowd the line, looking for the run, pass option. By doing this, they used short, quick throws like bubble screens to move the chains. That kind of strategy only works if you have an athletic QB who is a risk to run. Ideally, we will come out of this draft with a pure drop back passer who can move the ball through the air. Bevell's strategy of moving the chains would be useless if that happens.

You’re trying to pigeonhole the guy’s entire offense into a couple of pages from his playbook. I don’t find it an accurate overview of that offense at all.