Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to interview Darrell Bevell

(01-01-2019, 08:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 08:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lots of folks pretty quick to write off a guy that went to (and won) the Superbowl with a second year QB just a few years ago.

He won with a powerhouse defense and a QB that made plays with his feet. I want an OC who can work with a QB, by utilizing his passing abilities and pushing the ball downfield. Not by drawing up bubble screens over and over.

That is not maroneys phylosophy. so we wont get a guy who is pass oriented. on the other hand Bevell has never had a offense finish higher then 15th in the league

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He would be whelming. Definition of lukewarm. Unfortunately, with a FO on thin ice we aren't going to be able to attract any of the top OCs that will be able to choose between the 8 open jobs that will have much more leash. So, whatever.

(01-02-2019, 12:19 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 08:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He won with a powerhouse defense and a QB that made plays with his feet. I want an OC who can work with a QB, by utilizing his passing abilities and pushing the ball downfield. Not by drawing up bubble screens over and over.

That is not maroneys phylosophy. so we wont get a guy who is pass oriented. on the other hand Bevell has never had a offense finish higher then 15th in the league
Which is why it's not a great hire. Sure its not the worse and he does have a lot of experience, but if they want this team to win they need to get someone that runs a modern offense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

(01-02-2019, 12:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 11:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Because I haven't been proven wrong. Bevell had an elite defense and a QB who utilized his feet to get key yards. He capitalized on his QB's athleticism to gain yards through the air by having DB's crowd the line, looking for the run, pass option. By doing this, they used short, quick throws like bubble screens to move the chains. That kind of strategy only works if you have an athletic QB who is a risk to run. Ideally, we will come out of this draft with a pure drop back passer who can move the ball through the air. Bevell's strategy of moving the chains would be useless if that happens.

You’re trying to pigeonhole the guy’s entire offense into a couple of pages from his playbook. I don’t find it an accurate overview of that offense at all.

Then you and I can agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Video 

(01-01-2019, 09:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 09:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Uh, Wilson averaged 30 yards a game on the ground and yet threw 26 TDs --  but he just "made plays with his feet?"

Average NFL QB's don't even rush for 200 yards in an entire season.

Patrick Mahomes must be below average then according to you. 

Please just stop.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

BB5 averaged 355 yards rushing per year for his career. imagine how many yards he would average with a competent OC who knew how to use his running ability.

(01-01-2019, 07:49 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 07:46 PM)knarnn Wrote: Who would you like to see as a candidate?

Jim Bob Cooter?

He's terrible

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019, 06:17 AM by Bullseye.)

(01-01-2019, 07:11 PM)BklynJag Wrote: @jasonlacanfora Darrell Bevell set to meet with the Falcons and Jaguars about their offensive coordinator positions

Don't know how much I trust JLC, but if this is true I think this is a good move (the pass in the Super Bowl notwithstanding).

(01-01-2019, 10:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 09:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Average NFL QB's don't even rush for 200 yards in an entire season.

Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, Tebow. 

One of these things is not like the other.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

When analysing Bevell just remember he routinely had the worst offensive line in the league to work with as Seahawks OC. That means you HAVE to call quick hitting plays.

Even still, I thought he was pretty creative and had some nice concepts. I'd be fine with it

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019, 06:44 AM by Bullseye.)

(01-01-2019, 09:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 09:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Uh, Wilson averaged 30 yards a game on the ground and yet threw 26 TDs --  but he just "made plays with his feet?"

Average NFL QB's don't even rush for 200 yards in an entire season.

Was Brunell average here?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...ving::none

Was Steve Young average in San Francisco?

What abut Elway?

Favre?

Is Rodgers average?

Roger Staubach?

Montana?

Donovan McNabb went to 6 Pro Bowls and had numerous seasons above 200 yards rushing.  Was he average too?  Rushing & Receiving

In three of his four Pro Bowl seasons, Rich Gannon eclipsed 200 yards rushing.

: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...ving::none

I get your point that a QB's primary worth is tied to his ability to pass the ball effectively and function within the pocket.  But I don't get this arbitrary ceiling of 200 yards rushing you seem to have placed on QBs separating the good-great from merely average.

NFL history is replete with good to great QBs rushing for more than 200 yards in a season.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019, 08:48 AM by RicoTx.)

(01-02-2019, 06:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 07:11 PM)BklynJag Wrote: @jasonlacanfora Darrell Bevell set to meet with the Falcons and Jaguars about their offensive coordinator positions

Don't know how much I trust JLC, but if this is true I think this is a good move (the pass in the Super Bowl notwithstanding).

(01-01-2019, 10:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, Tebow. 

Aaron Rodgers is right-handed?   Laughing

In all seriousness, I can't believe there are people in the world that are so disillusioned that they bring up Tebow as even an adequate quarterback.  He is /was awful.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-02-2019, 12:19 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 08:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He won with a powerhouse defense and a QB that made plays with his feet. I want an OC who can work with a QB, by utilizing his passing abilities and pushing the ball downfield. Not by drawing up bubble screens over and over.

Well that's not true but good try.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/c...eveDa0.htm

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019, 09:29 AM by Bullseye.)

(01-02-2019, 08:46 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 06:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Don't know how much I trust JLC, but if this is true I think this is a good move (the pass in the Super Bowl notwithstanding).

In all seriousness, I can't believe there are people in the world that are so disillusioned that they bring up Tebow as even an adequate quarterback.  He is /was awful.

Well played sir.   Laughing

(01-01-2019, 08:20 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 07:55 PM)JNev Wrote: Good thing Belichick isn’t available, we would’ve probably wasted our time interviewing that castoff since he got fired by the Browns

Belichick is overhyped because he has Brady. Every coach with a HOF QB looks a lot better. Caldwell would be the #1 GM with Brady on this team and the defense killing teams trying to pass to keep up. Belichick coaching this team would have similar results.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the team really fell off when Brady had his ACL injury back in 2008 (11-5), and when he missed 4 games due to deflategate in 2016 (14-2, 3-1 without him).  Clearly Tom is propping up the myth.

Not dismissing the impact that Brady has had on his success, but that goes both ways.  That was just the perfect marriage of coach and QB.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(01-02-2019, 08:46 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 06:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Don't know how much I trust JLC, but if this is true I think this is a good move (the pass in the Super Bowl notwithstanding).

not only do they think he could have been a good QB......they think the NFL blackballed him for being openly religious

(01-02-2019, 09:30 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 08:46 AM)Rico Wrote: Aaron Rodgers is right-handed?   Laughing

not only do they think he could have been a good QB......they think the NFL blackballed him for being openly religious
Can't wait for the NFL to blackball Trevor Lawerence and Wentz......

(01-02-2019, 09:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 09:30 AM)JackCity Wrote: not only do they think he could have been a good QB......they think the NFL blackballed him for being openly religious
Can't wait for the NFL to blackball Trevor Lawerence and Wentz......

Poor Trevor's gonna have to play in Canada or find another sport after that presser

I see one big problem with Bevell and Cooter... that is, neither one is named Dirk Koetter. 
'02

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019, 11:45 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

LOL ... at least we know Bevell isn't scared of passing when he's 1 yard from the goal line and has a power RB (see Seahawks vs Patriots super bowl interception)

(01-02-2019, 05:04 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 07:49 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Jim Bob Cooter?

He's terrible

Though I disagree,  I don't think Jim Bob Cooter would be a good fit for the Jaguars if the Jaguars continue to want to be a rushing foundation team.  Cooter is better suited for a team with the passing game being the foundation on Offense. Cooter seems like a round hole for the Tom Coughlin and Doug Marrone square peg.