Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tom Coughlin - The head man in charge

(01-03-2019, 10:19 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: No
He’s the General Manager. 
He compiles and assesses the data brought to him by the scouts working under him. 
This isn’t a difficult concept, people.

Just curious, of the 31 other teams, how many general managers need approval on their picks?

I don't know that 'final say' means Caldwell needs approval on picks. It's speculation.

I'm sure Tom has a LOT of input when it comes to the draft board, or overall strategy (do we go all in to get player X, look to acquire future picks, etc), but to say Dave is running to Tom's office every time he wants to scout a guy, or sign a free agent during the year is oversimplifying the idea.

Tom has final say. If something like a Kareem Hunt situation happened here, and Tom told Dave to release the dude before all charges were filed, Dave is releasing the dude. If Tom thinks we should extend a guy before Free Agency, Dave is going to work to get that deal done. If Dave likes a prospect, and Tom thinks it's a bad fit, the guy is either off the board or dropped way down the charts.

Same thing happens with most franchises with an owner assuming the oversight of Operations. Shad has opted to hire a guy with more football acumen to handle these responsibilities.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2019, 01:49 PM by Adam2012.)

(01-03-2019, 10:27 AM)FBT Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 10:23 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So Caldwell is neither a general nor a manager in the essence of their definition?

I think he's still a GM in the traditional sense.  He just has a boss.  It's definitely a unique structure.

Off the top of my head I can think of Oakland. You think Mayock can override Gruden?

What about New England? Do they have someone with the title of GM?

Why does anyone think the Owner should have a clue about football personnel or operations? Are only former players or GMs allowed to be owners? I don't want my team's owner thinking he knows football - although anyone who has watched more than five games on tv thinks he qualified to run an NFL team.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(01-03-2019, 09:54 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 10:02 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: We got two GMs and it still don’t work.

lol

(01-02-2019, 09:40 PM)EricC85 Wrote: So an article by fan boys at BBC is all the clarification we need? I get it the buck stops with Coughlin don't argue against that, has nothing to do with the horrible drafts from 2011-2014 or the crap free agents in that time period. You want to wash Caldwell of the BB extension and Bryant pick ok, no problem that's the least of my concerns. Caldwell set us back with his ground up rebuild and then missed on multiple high draft picks, time after time after time.

I just hope they've figured it out now that we're going to use this same group to pick our next QB. Don't kid yourselves even if next year totally sucks we're with this group until we see what comes of whoever the draft under center this year.

Yeah.

Am I missing something? I only saw Alfie saying TC has all the power, that's it.

Either way 2 things:

1.-Caldwell has been awful
2.-If this is true he is useless, why exactly should we keep him?

The article was vague, but it did include a link to the statement by Khan that they posted in a previous... post.  Calling them "articles" feels wrong.

(01-03-2019, 01:48 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 10:27 AM)FBT Wrote: I think he's still a GM in the traditional sense.  He just has a boss.  It's definitely a unique structure.

Off the top of my head I can think of Oakland. You think Mayock can override Gruden?

Why does anyone think the Owner should have a clue about football personnel or operations? Are only former players or GMs allowed to be owners? I don't want my team's owner thinking he knows football - although anyone who has watched more than five games on tv thinks he qualified to run an NFL team.

I gave a few examples earlier, EVPs; GMs; and AGMs exist in various hierarchies around the league. New England's GM wears a hoodie on the sidelines on Sunday.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-03-2019, 01:48 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 10:27 AM)FBT Wrote: I think he's still a GM in the traditional sense.  He just has a boss.  It's definitely a unique structure.

No.  Mayock is pretty much a glorified scout.  Gruden has complete control there.  Davis has basically handed him the reigns.  

Belichick is their GM for all intents and purposes.  I'm sure Robert Kraft has enough trust in Belichick most of the time to run the franchise, but he has injected his editorial opinion into some personnel decisions.  All indications are that Kraft pushed Belichick to trade Garoppolo.  So even the almighty Bill has to answer to someone.  

I think for the most part, owners leave football decisions to those who are qualified.  There are exceptions, such as in Dallas where Jerry Jones pretty much fancies himself a personnel expert.  

I agree that in most instances, an owner who is more hands-off is preferred.  I think Khan recognizes his limitations with this team, and understood that he needed to have someone in charge of football operations similar to what he's got on the business side of the franchise.  I think when he inserted Tom into that role, he hoped that it would be a mentor type relationship between he and Caldwell.  That may still be very much the case.  I don't think our ownership is trying to steer things on the football side.  He's leaving that to the pros.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(01-03-2019, 11:59 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 11:43 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Let's step back and look at what's happened to the team at a high level since TC came aboard.

2017 - Made the playoffs and went to the AFC Championship game and finished 2nd in the league in defense when nearly everyone was expecting the team to flounder at the bottom half of the standings.
2018 - Team regressed for multiple reasons, much of what was outside of the team's control. Extraordinary volume of injuries on the OL, regression of the QB, team chemistry issues and ridiculously conservative (at times) offensive play calling.

It's OK to be mad about 2018.  But based on the track record, dumping everything and everybody and starting over is silly and counterproductive.

Everything bar injuries in 2018 was "within the teams control"

Play calling was the only thing within the team's control. Even if it wasn't, one season was pretty fun, and one wasn't. Some people want to blow the whole thing up when we can easily be back to the playoffs and/or contending for the superbowl with a few personal changes and some better luck in the health department.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Some people just don't get it.  Tom Coughlin is not a GM.  His job is to run the team in place of the owner.

He doesn't strike me as a micro-manager as a lot of people suggest.  He doesn't tell Caldwell who or who not to draft/sign.  He doesn't get involved in personnel decisions with perhaps the only exception being discipline in fines and/or suspensions.  He doesn't tell Coach Marrone who to start, what plays to run, etc.  He delegates those duties to them as General Manager and Head Coach respectively.

Remember, according to what was reported Shad Khan retained Coughlin with instructions to make his moves but keep as much continuity as possible.  It was Coughlin's decision to retain Caldwell and Marrone.  The upcoming decision(s) regarding Bortles or maybe Fournette are Caldwell's to make with perhaps some input from Coach Marrone.

Caldwell makes the decisions regarding player acquisition and/or release.

Marrone makes the decisions regarding how he uses whatever players are available to him.

Both answer to Coughlin who ultimately answers to Shad Khan.

It's called "Chain of Command".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2019, 05:55 PM by JackCity.)

(01-03-2019, 03:45 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 11:59 AM)JackCity Wrote: Everything bar injuries in 2018 was "within the teams control"

Play calling was the only thing within the team's control. Even if it wasn't, one season was pretty fun, and one wasn't. Some people want to blow the whole thing up when we can easily be back to the playoffs and/or contending for the superbowl with a few personal changes and some better luck in the health department.

Play calling, who we had at QB, team chemistry, player regression. These are things that stemmed from poor performance at front office and coaching level.  

No need to blow it up at all, we have talent. Just a lot further away from competing now. I don't have any faith that the people in charge know how to evaluate QBs so it makes me fairly skeptical that the issue can be solved in the next 2 years.

(01-03-2019, 05:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Some people just don't get it.  Tom Coughlin is not a GM.  His job is to run the team in place of the owner.

He doesn't strike me as a micro-manager as a lot of people suggest.  He doesn't tell Caldwell who or who not to draft/sign.  He doesn't get involved in personnel decisions with perhaps the only exception being discipline in fines and/or suspensions.  He doesn't tell Coach Marrone who to start, what plays to run, etc.  He delegates those duties to them as General Manager and Head Coach respectively.

Remember, according to what was reported Shad Khan retained Coughlin with instructions to make his moves but keep as much continuity as possible.  It was Coughlin's decision to retain Caldwell and Marrone.  The upcoming decision(s) regarding Bortles or maybe Fournette are Caldwell's to make with perhaps some input from Coach Marrone.

Marrone makes the decisions regarding how he uses whatever players are available to him.

Caldwell doesn't make the final decisions about player acquisition and/or release and he doesn't get to decide on Bortles or Fournette. I'm sure he has lots of input on both, but if Tom says no they don't happen.

Coughlin is not playing the role of what most teams owners do. He's much more involved than that.

Personally, I had the impression that Khan hired him to oversee the football part of the Jaguars, just as
Lamping oversees the business side.
Khan has so many irons in the fire i suppose he felt he needed a full time guy for football operations.
I still felt it was a wise move and Khan put the guys on notice....another year and I might have to
step in guys.
Tom decided to keep doug and dave.....so here we go for 2019.
If I was 904nette.....I'd be paying more attention for sure.....if it's not too late.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-03-2019, 05:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Some people just don't get it.  Tom Coughlin is not a GM.  His job is to run the team in place of the owner.

Yeah I don’t think you understand that the majority doesn’t agree with your opinion on Toms role. Most, like myself, believe he has a much larger role in personnel than what you described.

(01-03-2019, 05:50 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 03:45 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Play calling was the only thing within the team's control. Even if it wasn't, one season was pretty fun, and one wasn't. Some people want to blow the whole thing up when we can easily be back to the playoffs and/or contending for the superbowl with a few personal changes and some better luck in the health department.

Play calling, who we had at QB, team chemistry, player regression. These are things that stemmed from poor performance at front office and coaching level.  

No need to blow it up at all, we have talent. Just a lot further away from competing now. I don't have any faith that the people in charge know how to evaluate QBs so it makes me fairly skeptical that the issue can be solved in the next 2 years.

Caldwell doesn't make the final decisions about player acquisition and/or release and he doesn't get to decide on Bortles or Fournette. I'm sure he has lots of input on both, but if Tom says no they don't happen.  

Coughlin is not playing the role of what most teams owners do. He's much more involved than that.

Believe what you want.  Good leadership doesn't work that way.

Regarding the part in bold, are you certain about that?  Any proof?  Because if that's the case, then Coughlin is the one not being a leader.

A good leader allows those appointed or in a position lower than him the freedom and flexibility to make their own decisions and he backs them.  Coughlin is ultimately responsible, but he's not going to micro-manage the people that work for him.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(01-03-2019, 05:50 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 03:45 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Play calling was the only thing within the team's control. Even if it wasn't, one season was pretty fun, and one wasn't. Some people want to blow the whole thing up when we can easily be back to the playoffs and/or contending for the superbowl with a few personal changes and some better luck in the health department.

Play calling - yes, no doubt
Who we had at QB - It's the same QB who took us to the AFC Championship last year, can't fault them with going what worked
Team chemistry - This changes from year to year and a few personnel changes can impact it, but you can't really predict/control how players are going to relate to each other
Player regression - Coaches develop players but ultimately players are responsible for doing the work to stay there
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

What would be truly fascinating would be to actuallly find out which of Dave's decisions Tom has vetoed, and the ones he has made by himself. 

Unfortunately we will probably never know.

(01-03-2019, 06:19 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

Yeah I don’t think you understand that the majority doesn’t agree with your opinion on Toms role. Most, like myself, believe he has a much larger role in personnel than what you described.

I find it odd how many folks just dismiss that big press conference when Coughlin uttered the now famous "we want to win lunch" remark. 

In that same presser, Dave was asked how his job had changed. He said "I'll basically be doing the same thing I've been doing."  With Coughlin, Khan and Marrone all sitting there nodding their heads in agreement. 

It's like that never happened to some people. 

I'd bet a quarter of the league if not more operates with a fully functional GM that has a boss in the chain of command between him and the owner. 

This stuff is not new and it's not rocket science either.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2019, 08:13 PM by JackCity.)

(01-03-2019, 06:59 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 05:50 PM)JackCity Wrote: Play calling, who we had at QB, team chemistry, player regression. These are things that stemmed from poor performance at front office and coaching level.  

Play calling - yes, no doubt
Who we had at QB - It's the same QB who took us to the AFC Championship last year, can't fault them with going what worked
Team chemistry - This changes from year to year and a few personnel changes can impact it, but you can't really predict/control how players are going to relate to each other
Player regression - Coaches develop players but ultimately players are responsible for doing the work to stay there

This is a cop out. 

Team chemistry and player performance are the direct responsibility of the coaching staff to get right. If players aren't performing , especially when almost the entire team regresses, that's a coaching problem. Likewise with team chemistry. 

Having effective QB play is the job of the front office and coaching staff. They had numerous opportunities the last two season to upgrade that position and they chose not to do so. 

The coaching staff , players and front office all caused the 2018 season. It's only fair that they are held accountable for doing so

(01-03-2019, 06:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 05:50 PM)JackCity Wrote: Play calling, who we had at QB, team chemistry, player regression. These are things that stemmed from poor performance at front office and coaching level.  

Regarding the part in bold, are you certain about that?  Any proof?  Because if that's the case, then Coughlin is the one not being a leader.

A good leader allows those appointed or in a position lower than him the freedom and flexibility to make their own decisions and he backs them.  Coughlin is ultimately responsible, but he's not going to micro-manage the people that work for him.

Control of the roster was taken from Caldwell and given to Tom. They were pretty open about how closely they would be working together on things but that Tom would ultimately have the final say.   

And yeah as I said, Caldwell still has a lot of input, he just doesn't have final say. I'm sure there are multiple decisions Caldwell has pushed for that Tom has allowed him to do and went along with. Blake Bortles for one, but again, it's evident that was his decision, heavily influenced by Caldwell.

Honest to god. What the hell does it matter who is to blame? Caldwell was here well before Coughlin came back so he gets no excuse.

This team thought their poo didn’t stink and the nfl kicked them in the teeth.

It’s time for the players to wake up and start playing good football again.

There aren’t any more excuses for the players, coaches, front office, Tom Coughlin, etc....

(01-03-2019, 06:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

+1

Exactly, a good manager doesn't fire everyone every time things go awry.  A good manager gets his management team together, collects as much data as possible, evaluates the situation, coaches his subordinates on how to achieve the desired results and sends them on their way.  Now should the same issue rise again then he/she may need to demote or let people go.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

For those upset about the firings and hirings of certain position coaches please feel free to pick up your pitchforks here. I found who you can blame:

Quote: Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan has given Tom Coughlin total control of the team’s football operations.

That includes having final say on the 53-man roster, free agency, the NFL draft, and, apparently, approving the hiring of assistant coaches.

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...head-coach
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(01-14-2019, 11:01 PM)knarnn Wrote: For those upset about the firings and hirings of certain position coaches please feel free to pick up your pitchforks here. I found who you can blame:

Quote: Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan has given Tom Coughlin total control of the team’s football operations.

That includes having final say on the 53-man roster, free agency, the NFL draft, and, apparently, approving the hiring of assistant coaches.

Old news. That's a 2017 article. 

TC having "final say" is nothing new.  It doesn't say he's deciding these hires - it says he has to approve them.

(01-14-2019, 11:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 11:01 PM)knarnn Wrote: For those upset about the firings and hirings of certain position coaches please feel free to pick up your pitchforks here. I found who you can blame:

Old news. That's a 2017 article. 

TC having "final say" is nothing new.  It doesn't say he's deciding these hires - it says he has to approve them.

It says he’s overseeing the process.

The date of the article is irrelevant as the structure of power is the same today as it was the day the article was written.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."