Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles

(01-06-2019, 03:59 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 03:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They'll have to tag him to keep him.  He can opt out of the $20 mil extension by paying 2mil.

Foles will cost them around 25 million for one season  --  but they could also pay him that number and then trade him for a 1st round pick.

Which I think is what’s going to happen.  That’s the only way the Eagles can cash in on his success.  It’s either that or just let him go.

They don't have any leverage though. They can't afford him, so teams know that. They have to trade him or release him. He also knows they can't afford him, so why agree with the trade? If he goes on the open market, he gets a huge contract, if he signs and gets traded he is limited to 1 team setting the value.

They needed to trade him before this year, now it is hard to keep control with the cap. Wentz's contract can be renewed now, waiting will only increase the value. Are they really going to spend $50 million in cap on the QB position?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-06-2019, 04:22 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 03:59 PM)Jags Wrote: Which I think is what’s going to happen.  That’s the only way the Eagles can cash in on his success.  It’s either that or just let him go.

They don't have any leverage though. They can't afford him, so teams know that. They have to trade him or release him. He also knows they can't afford him, so why agree with the trade? If he goes on the open market, he gets a huge contract, if he signs and gets traded he is limited to 1 team setting the value.

They needed to trade him before this year, now it is hard to keep control with the cap. Wentz's contract can be renewed now, waiting will only increase the value. Are they really going to spend $50 million in cap on the QB position?

Perhaps I don’t have the full grasp of the situation.  But I’m under the same impression as what NYC posted.  So if the eagles franchise him, Foles has no choice.  Then the Eagles can trade and reap the benefits of the draft pick(s).  Otherwise they let the contract run out or pick up the option, in which Foles can get out of easily.  Which, as you said the last option makes no sense for the Eagle due to the money.  So the “smart” move would be franchise and trade to get some value out of him.  Whether they do that or not, who knows.  Would be a crappy way to treat a player that won you a Super Bowl in my opinion.

(01-06-2019, 04:48 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 04:22 PM)p_rushing Wrote: They don't have any leverage though. They can't afford him, so teams know that. They have to trade him or release him. He also knows they can't afford him, so why agree with the trade? If he goes on the open market, he gets a huge contract, if he signs and gets traded he is limited to 1 team setting the value.

Perhaps I don’t have the full grasp of the situation.  But I’m under the same impression as what NYC posted.  So if the eagles franchise him, Foles has no choice.  Then the Eagles can trade and reap the benefits of the draft pick(s).  Otherwise they let the contract run out or pick up the option, in which Foles can get out of easily.  Which, as you said the last option makes no sense for the Eagle due to the money.  So the “smart” move would be franchise and trade to get some value out of him.  Whether they do that or not, who knows.  Would be a crappy way to treat a player that won you a Super Bowl in my opinion.
He doesn't have to sign the franchise tag and could hold out. He also could sign it immediately and put them in a huge cap situation. He can refuse to sign a new deal when traded, which greatly decreases his trade value. The Eagles have to trade him if he signs the tag as they won't have the cap space.

Not looking so good tonight.

(01-06-2019, 05:08 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 04:48 PM)Jags Wrote: Perhaps I don’t have the full grasp of the situation.  But I’m under the same impression as what NYC posted.  So if the eagles franchise him, Foles has no choice.  Then the Eagles can trade and reap the benefits of the draft pick(s).  Otherwise they let the contract run out or pick up the option, in which Foles can get out of easily.  Which, as you said the last option makes no sense for the Eagle due to the money.  So the “smart” move would be franchise and trade to get some value out of him.  Whether they do that or not, who knows.  Would be a crappy way to treat a player that won you a Super Bowl in my opinion.
He doesn't have to sign the franchise tag and could hold out. He also could sign it immediately and put them in a huge cap situation. He can refuse to sign a new deal when traded, which greatly decreases his trade value. The Eagles have to trade him if he signs the tag as they won't have the cap space.

If Foles signs the tag he's not putting them in a cap situation, he'll simply be traded. 
There will certainly be multiple competing offers on the table, so it's just a matter of which offer the eagles accept.

(01-06-2019, 07:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 05:08 PM)p_rushing Wrote: He doesn't have to sign the franchise tag and could hold out. He also could sign it immediately and put them in a huge cap situation. He can refuse to sign a new deal when traded, which greatly decreases his trade value. The Eagles have to trade him if he signs the tag as they won't have the cap space.

If Foles signs the tag he's not putting them in a cap situation, he'll simply be traded. 
There will certainly be multiple competing offers on the table, so it's just a matter of which offer the eagles accept.
For a trade to include 1st rounders, etc he has to agree to a new deal. If he refuses, the trade won't happen or the trade costs go down a whole bunch because no team is going to trade a ton for 1 year player. So Foles still has some control unless they want to just get a low value pick.

They would get more from a compensatory pick than a later round pick for him.

So he can play hardball and try to pick his team to be traded too or hope they release him.

I’m sorry, but if this was the Jags playing and we’d 3 points into the 3rd Quarter, itd all be Blake Bortles fault. I don’t want any of these quarterbacks. None of them are significant upgrades to Blake. I want to draft a QB Round 1, keep Blake because of his contract, and start whoever wins the job. Then I want to extend Jalen and Yannick. I think it should be this simple.

(01-06-2019, 07:19 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 07:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If Foles signs the tag he's not putting them in a cap situation, he'll simply be traded. 
For a trade to include 1st rounders, etc he has to agree to a new deal. If he refuses, the trade won't happen or the trade costs go down a whole bunch because no team is going to trade a ton for 1 year player. So Foles still has some control unless they want to just get a low value pick.

They would get more from a compensatory pick than a later round pick for him.

So he can play hardball and try to pick his team to be traded too or hope they release him.

Is this a rule I'm unaware of? (I'm not being facetious, I'm not all that savvy with all of the inner workings of trades and tags and such)

I mean, I realize any team that is going to trade for him is going to have a conversation with his agent about the future. But I don't know that a deal has to necessarily be in place beyond some show of good faith. 
Couldn't the team trading for him work out his new deal prior to the end of his first season with that team?

(01-06-2019, 07:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Is this a rule I'm unaware of? (I'm not being facetious, I'm not all that savvy with all of the inner workings of trades and tags and such)

I mean, I realize any team that is going to trade for him is going to have a conversation with his agent about the future. But I don't know that a deal has to necessarily be in place beyond some show of good faith. 
Couldn't the team trading for him work out his new deal prior to the end of his first season with that team?

No rule, but his agent is going to request and the team making the trade will also request that a deal is worked out first. He also will want a new deal this off season, he isn't going to wait. So for high value picks to be traded, he will be signing a long term deal. The picks are worth too much to trade for and Foles also doesn't want to risk getting hurt without a longterm deal.

Rapoport already reported that the Eagles will do better than the 3rd rounder the Bills got from Cleveland for Tyrod. So not only are you going to have to sign him to a good money multi-year deal, your probably going to have to trade a 1st or 2nd round pick. No thanks. Just draft a QB.

(01-06-2019, 07:45 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: Rapoport already reported that the Eagles will do better than the 3rd rounder the Bills got from Cleveland for Tyrod.  So not only are you going to have to sign him to a good money multi-year deal, your probably going to have to trade a 1st or 2nd round pick.  No thanks.  Just draft a QB.

They already turned down a second rounder earlier this season.

Foles will be a FA.i wouldn't give him anything more than a 2 year contract. Seeing how handsomely average to below average QBs get paid in FA I'd probably end up passing and just roll with a rook.

Pivotal 3rd down, Foles has a guy open, and over throws him by 10ft.

He’s been throwing an abnormal amount of floaters and non spirals tonight.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2019, 08:38 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Foles Magic

That's what great QBs do

What an ending

Looking forward to watching him suit up for the Jags next year.

(01-06-2019, 08:53 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Looking forward to watching him suit up for the Jags next year.

Agree, sign him.  Metcalf in the 1st, a TE in the 2nd, and oline with our 2 3rd round picks

(01-05-2019, 01:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Foles leads the Eagles to another title they will probably trade Wentz and keep Foles.  Foles is playing like one of the best QBs in the league right now and the Eagles has gotten hot at the right time.  They are a scary team to play right now with Foles and that defense

I've mentioned before this is my dream scenario. Then just make the teade for Wentz here happen.

I'll take Foles. He has proved himself. Eagles will be dumb to let him go but either way, we should go after one of their quarterbacks.