Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles

(01-09-2019, 01:00 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 09:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: With Foles and get us a true number 1 WR and TE with our first 2 picks on top of a healthy oline I see no reason why it couldn't be better than functioning properly, especially if Chark improves.  We can go oline with our 3rd round pick and get a defensive player with the other 3rd.  As I have been thinking more and more about this, getting Foles would be by far the best option.  SB MVP QBs dont go on trees and he is possibly the most clutch QB in the league.  He has ice in his veins and would take him over Cousins any day.

Am I crazy to think that before you can sign Foles, you're going to have to complete a trade with Philly? I don't think they outright release him. I don't see how we'll end up with both Foles and all those picks listed above.

I get that he has that opt-out clause, but I can't imagine Philly won't try to let some team get the jump on the bidding war by offering a pick(s) for the right to be the team he signs with.

The Eagles, though they control his contract, are really at a disadvantage.  They can't realistically pay him starter money as the backup and keep Wentz.  It's a no brainer to move on from him.  It's just according to whether the Jags or other potential suitors think he will take less than his current contract after he gets cut.
[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-09-2019, 06:31 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 03:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think overall it's more rare but it's happening more and more over the last 10 years or so. In the old days, these QBs had to sit and wait. Today? They get drafted and start right away. Just looking at 1st and 2nd round QBs

2018 saw Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Jackson start and play a significant portion of their rookie season.
2017- Watson, Trubisky, Kizer
2016- Goff and Wentz
2015- Winston and Mariota
2014- Bortles, Maziel, Teddy B, Carr
2013- EJ Manuel and Geno
2012- Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden
2011- Cam, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton
2010- Bradford, Tebow
2009- Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman

That's 33 QBs selected in the 1st 2 round of the last 10 NFL drafts who saw significant playing time as a rookie. That's extremely impressive and seems to be the new normal going forward instead of sitting and waiting.

not one of those qbs have won a super bowl,or even come close.
Wentz won a SB

(01-09-2019, 06:44 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 01:00 PM)Mikey Wrote: Am I crazy to think that before you can sign Foles, you're going to have to complete a trade with Philly? I don't think they outright release him. I don't see how we'll end up with both Foles and all those picks listed above.

I get that he has that opt-out clause, but I can't imagine Philly won't try to let some team get the jump on the bidding war by offering a pick(s) for the right to be the team he signs with.

The Eagles, though they control his contract, are really at a disadvantage.  They can't realistically pay him starter money as the backup and keep Wentz.  It's a no brainer to move on from him.  It's just according to whether the Jags or other potential suitors think he will take less than his current contract after he gets cut.

Yep it's going to be interesting. Wentz can renegotiate this offseason also, so that would be at least $25 million for each of them if they extend Wentz and tag Foles. Wentz will be cheaper if they resign him now, if they wait, it's over $30 million and only going higher.

Foles can opt out of the $20 million option. Do they tag him and try to see what they can get? Does Foles immediately sign the tag, forcing them to trade him? Do teams offer starter trade value or wait for the price to come down if he is tagged? Do teams just say nope waiting until to cut him?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(01-09-2019, 06:31 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 03:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think overall it's more rare but it's happening more and more over the last 10 years or so. In the old days, these QBs had to sit and wait. Today? They get drafted and start right away. Just looking at 1st and 2nd round QBs

2018 saw Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Jackson start and play a significant portion of their rookie season.
2016- Goff and Wentz
2013- EJ Manuel and Geno
2010- Bradford, Tebow

That's 33 QBs selected in the 1st 2 round of the last 10 NFL drafts who saw significant playing time as a rookie. That's extremely impressive and seems to be the new normal going forward instead of sitting and waiting.

not one of those qbs have won a super bowl,or even come close.

Cam Newton played in a SB so I’d say that’s pretty close.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 09:03 AM by irontrooper83.)

(01-09-2019, 09:01 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: With Foles and get us a true number 1 WR and TE with our first 2 picks on top of a healthy oline I see no reason why it couldn't be better than functioning properly, especially if Chark improves.  We can go oline with our 3rd round pick and get a defensive player with the other 3rd.  As I have been thinking more and more about this, getting Foles would be by far the best option.  SB MVP QBs dont go on trees and he is possibly the most clutch QB in the league.  He has ice in his veins and would take him over Cousins any day.

This is a scenario that has really  grown on me as well.
If we can find a way (either cause he opts out and has reasonable demands -if he'll go for the highest possible contract on the FA market we wouldn't be able to land him- or cause we get creative with a trade using Fournette or 2020 picks) to bring him here without using high draft picks this year it could be fun with all that we could do to help the offense and the starters coming back healthy hopefully.

Still a lot of IFs before this unfolds though...curious to see how Philly handles this one.

(01-10-2019, 09:03 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote:

This is a scenario that has really  grown on me as well.
If we can find a way (either cause he opts out and has reasonable demands -if he'll go for the highest possible contract on the FA market we wouldn't be able to land him- or cause we get creative with a trade using Fournette or 2020 picks) to bring him here without using high draft picks this year it could be fun with all that we could do to help the offense and the starters coming back healthy hopefully.

Still a lot of IFs before this unfolds though...curious to see how Philly handles this one.
Either you're giving up draft capital for Foles or you're paying him a big contract. Because of Bortles contract, the only reasonable option is to draft a young QB. Can't really pay Blake and then give Foles 20 million.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM by irontrooper83.)

(01-10-2019, 09:37 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Either you're giving up draft capital for Foles or you're paying him a big contract. Because of Bortles contract, the only reasonable option is to draft a young QB. Can't really pay Blake and then give Foles 20 million.

Oh I know and I agree. I'm fully on the Haskins train I just have a feeling this FO won't invest what it would take to move up and secure him. So I started thinking about other scenarios and Foles is pretty much the only veteran option I would really like here.
It's highly unlikely without being really creative, but it was fun to think of what it could be eventually.

(01-09-2019, 07:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 06:31 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: not one of those qbs have won a super bowl,or even come close.
Wentz won a SB

Cam lost one, but that's not close, either. Bortles was minutes away from denying Wentz his ring.

(01-08-2019, 05:04 PM)Jags Wrote:

2016- Goff and Wentz
2013- EJ Manuel and Geno
2010- Bradford, Tebow

To be fair, half on that list aren’t even starters anymore.  I think that is what he’s talking about with it being a gamble.

Exactly.  Many of those QB's are either out of the league or at best a backup.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(01-09-2019, 07:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 06:31 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: not one of those qbs have won a super bowl,or even come close.
Wentz won a SB

I wouldn't exactly say that he "won a super bowl".  He was on IR.

(01-10-2019, 02:31 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 07:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Wentz won a SB

Cam lost one, but that's not close, either. Bortles was minutes away from denying Wentz his ring.

As I said.  Wentz earned his ring while on IR.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(01-10-2019, 03:04 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 07:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Wentz won a SB

I wouldn't exactly say that he "won a super bowl".  He was on IR.

(01-10-2019, 02:31 PM)Mikey Wrote: Cam lost one, but that's not close, either. Bortles was minutes away from denying Wentz his ring.

As I said.  Wentz earned his ring while on IR.

Doesn't matter, he still won a SB

From what I saw of that Super Bowl, I’m not sure the Eagles wouldn’t have walked away champions if they played the Jaguars. But that’s just me.

And Wentz has a ring. Wether or not Foles got it for him. If ya love it, put a ring on it.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 08:57 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

[Image: 49368777_2162224203829553_24361638146017...e=5CB66BC0]Man I hope we somehow get Foles

I'm actually starting to think the market for Foles will be less than people think. He will definitely look for a deal with guarantees for 2 seasons, possibly 3.

To be really "in the market" for Foles, the teams would need believe their window is 2019 and probably also 2020. They would also need cap room, and QB who is currently on a questionable lease.

Teams considered possibly in the market are:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
New York Giants
Cincinnati Bengals
Denver Broncos
Miami Dolphins
Washington Redskins
Tennessee Titans

Maybe only the Broncos and Titans have win now teams that could be competitive for playoffs. Bengals and Buccaneers are close, but their biggest needs are on defense.
Plus all four of those teams still have some hope about their current QB's, can get out of those contracts easily after 2019 and chase the 2020 QB draft class.

Dolphins seem to be making press statements hinting at a full rebuild to get other positions in line to draft a 2020 guy and hopefully be ready when Brady retires.

Redskins cannot afford Foles because Smith's guaranteed money.

Giants and Bucs are both in good position to draft Haskins (presently), who will be cheaper, has more longevity, and possibly higher upside.

The more, this plays out. It really looks like main players should be the Broncos, if Elway has a quick trigger, and the Jags.

Broncos definitely have more cap room, but the Jaguars could possibly fit in a $16 million contract with incentives?

(01-16-2019, 04:11 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I'm actually starting to think the market for Foles will be less than people think. He will definitely look for a deal with guarantees for 2 seasons, possibly 3.

To be really "in the market" for Foles, the teams would need believe their window is 2019 and probably also 2020. They would also need cap room, and QB who is currently on a questionable lease.

Teams considered possibly in the market are:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
New York Giants
Cincinnati Bengals
Denver Broncos
Miami Dolphins
Washington Redskins
Tennessee Titans

Maybe only the Broncos and Titans have win now teams that could be competitive for playoffs. Bengals and Buccaneers are close, but their biggest needs are on defense.
Plus all four of those teams still have some hope about their current QB's, can get out of those contracts easily after 2019 and chase the 2020 QB draft class.

Dolphins seem to be making press statements hinting at a full rebuild to get other positions in line to draft a 2020 guy and hopefully be ready when Brady retires.

Redskins cannot afford Foles because Smith's guaranteed money.

Giants and Bucs are both in good position to draft Haskins (presently), who will be cheaper, has more longevity, and possibly higher upside.

The more, this plays out. It really looks like main players should be the Broncos, if Elway has a quick trigger, and the Jags.

Broncos definitely have more cap room, but the Jaguars could possibly fit in a $16 million contract with incentives?

All of the Haskins talk has me laughing.  How exactly does he possibly have higher upside?  Because he is considered the "best" prospect in a weak draft class?  If a turd doesn't stink as much as other turds does that make it the best one?

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM by snowwolf776.)

Nick foles would fail as a Jaguar. he was terrbille with the rams. lets all rember they drafted him first a while back. only reason he was good in phily is because the HC pederson.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(01-16-2019, 06:06 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:11 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Giants and Bucs are both in good position to draft Haskins (presently), who will be cheaper, has more longevity, and possibly higher upside.

All of the Haskins talk has me laughing.  How exactly does he possibly have higher upside?  Because he is considered the "best" prospect in a weak draft class?  If a turd doesn't stink as much as other turds does that make it the best one?

As good as some people believe Foles to be, no one expecting him to will a team to the playoff/Super Bowl for the rest of career. No is even suggesting that he get paid what Cousins got last year. The Eagles have good surrounding cast around him. Certainly not perfect, but definitely above average.

Sure Haskin's has a lot of question marks, but there are scouts/analysts suggesting he could become the next Big Ben. I never said he definitely has that upside. I just said possibly, because some are throwing it out there. Certainly, it all may be hype. But hype is precisely why even flawed QB's are regularly drafted in the 1st round. All it takes is 1 GM to think that way.

What's a god to a non believer?

God QBs come with God complexes.