Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DK Metcalf

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 08:15 PM by JackCity.)

7.38 3 cone for Metcalf. Still a freak athlete but that's awful

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If they decide to go with Foles, I definitely wouldn't have a problem with him at #7.

Best WR prospect since Amari Cooper in 2015

Kelvin Benjamin had a better 3 cone than Metcalf, that's wild

(03-02-2019, 08:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Best WR prospect since Amari Cooper in 2015
Being big strong and fast doesn’t make you a great WR. You’re acting like Al Davis.

I’ll take Hakeem Butler over Metcalf all day.

(03-02-2019, 08:14 PM)JackCity Wrote: 7.38 3 cone for Metcalf. Still a freak athlete but that's awful
(03-02-2019, 08:28 PM)JackCity Wrote: Kelvin Benjamin had a better 3 cone than Metcalf, that's wild
Similar to Matt Jones? Couldn't find a 3 cone for him though.

Tall and fast, but not quick enough to get off the line with any contact. LF is fast too, but again takes a long time to get up to speed.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2019, 12:43 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-02-2019, 08:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 08:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Best WR prospect since Amari Cooper in 2015
Being big strong and fast doesn’t make you a great WR. You’re acting like Al Davis.

I said that a while back before the combine. I thought Harry was your guy? Matcalf has a lot more than that.  Dude reminds me of Josh Gordon without the backage.

Metcalf could use some leaning down now. Those agility drill scores are pretty worrisome. Maybe being stronger than Trent Williams and heavier than Jaylon Smith isn't the most ideal for a WR.

He'll only know one route. The jump ball pass 50/50 prayer down the sideline. Then get injured. Pass.

Tom Brady beat him in the 3 cone drill. Yall need help if you think he's going to be any good.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

Everyone is falling to the combine hype on this guy....
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 05:51 AM by knarnn.)

(03-05-2019, 12:51 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Tom Brady beat him in the 3 cone drill. Yall need help if you think he's going to be any good.

He’s a one trick pony right now with his limited route tree and lack of agility. Not to mention his pedestrian production playing in an offense that was playing from behind more often than not. And then you look at his injury history....I can name a handful of other WRs I would rather have around the same slot than to take a gamble based solely on a 40 time and rock hard biceps and abs.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 11:37 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-05-2019, 05:47 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 12:51 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Tom Brady beat him in the 3 cone drill. Yall need help if you think he's going to be any good.

He’s a one trick pony right now with his limited route tree and lack of agility. Not to mention his pedestrian production playing in an offense that was playing from behind more often than not. And then you look at his injury history....I can name a handful of other WRs I would rather have around the same slot than to take a gamble based solely on a 40 time and rock hard biceps and abs.

There were quite a few people on here that had him as their top guy before the pic came out and before he ran the 40 so your comment doesn't make any sense for most, maybe just a few

(03-05-2019, 01:14 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: Everyone is falling to the combine hype on this guy....

(03-05-2019, 11:36 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 05:47 AM)knarnn Wrote: He’s a one trick pony right now with his limited route tree and lack of agility. Not to mention his pedestrian production playing in an offense that was playing from behind more often than not. And then you look at his injury history....I can name a handful of other WRs I would rather have around the same slot than to take a gamble based solely on a 40 time and rock hard biceps and abs.

There were quite a few people on here that had him as their top guy before the pic came out and before he ran the 40 so your comment doesn't make any sense for most, maybe just a few

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 12:40 PM by knarnn.)

(03-05-2019, 11:36 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 05:47 AM)knarnn Wrote: He’s a one trick pony right now with his limited route tree and lack of agility. Not to mention his pedestrian production playing in an offense that was playing from behind more often than not. And then you look at his injury history....I can name a handful of other WRs I would rather have around the same slot than to take a gamble based solely on a 40 time and rock hard biceps and abs.

(03-05-2019, 01:14 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: Everyone is falling to the combine hype on this guy....

(03-05-2019, 11:36 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There were quite a few people on here that had him as their top guy before the pic came out and before he ran the 40 so your comment doesn't make any sense for most, maybe just a few

People have been projecting DK the “athlete” for 2 years now. Everyone knew he would destroy the combine and he did for the most part. 

But let’s not act like he is a surefire prospect and the second coming of Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. He’s not. At least not yet. Red flags have popped up all over the place from his agility testing, lack of on field production, drop rate in the teens, limited route tree, and injury history amongst others. 

Maybe you are ok with all this but I have a hard time justifying him as a top 7 pick at this point.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-05-2019, 12:25 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 11:36 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There were quite a few people on here that had him as their top guy before the pic came out and before he ran the 40 so your comment doesn't make any sense for most, maybe just a few

People have been projecting DK the “athlete” for 2 years now. Everyone knew he would destroy the combine and he did for the most part. 

But let’s not act like he is a surefire prospect and the second coming of Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. He’s not. At least not yet. Red flags have popped up all over the place from his agility testing, lack of on field production, drop rate in the teens, limited route tree, and injury history amongst others. 

Maybe you are ok with all this but I have a hard time justifying him as a top 7 pick at this point.
I don't think you watched a single Ole Miss game this year if you don't think that DK Metcalf was the most dominant WR they had on the field last year.

Lack of on field production:
His true Freshman year he only played 2 games...2 catches for 2 TDs...then had a broken foot.

His Redshirt Freshman season they had a ton of playmakers that were taking up catches (AJ Brown - 75, DaMarkus Lodge - 41 , Van Jefferson - 42, DK - 39,  Dawson Knox - 24 , Jordan Wilkins - 26) All of these guy will be NFL players.

His Final season he was on pace for 975 yards and 9 TDs before he got his neck jarred on a Special Teams Kick Off play.

A lot of Ole Miss fans were irate with the OC his final 2 years because he focused almost entirely on RPO and underneath routes...while AJ Brown is a stud he got a lot of inflated stats due to the shear number of targets.  The OC basically told DK to go deep every route and didn't develop him...he also completely ignored Dawson Knox at TE who only got 15 catches his final season...it also doesn't help a go deep WR when the OC/RG/RT were either injured or true Freshman.

Drop Rates:
I don't know the exact numbers but while watching I always felt like Brown dropped a lot more than DK ever did.

Agility Testing and Limited Route Tree:
What was Calvin Johnson's Shuttle/3 Cone times? Larry Fitzgerald? Those weren't exactly top of that category either. You aren't drafting him to be an underneath WR thats not his game and he shouldn't be used in that way.

Injury History:
The foot injury obviously didn't have any linger affects on him and the neck injury came from him playing on Kick Off team which was stupid of the coaches...I don't know what other injury history he has...

Yup. Does he know how to run all the routes to be a 10 pick, can he get open and find the holes. 

Or is he just a wr that has gotten by using athleticism up to college and will be regulated to being a one trick pony against the best of the best football athletes

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 03:28 PM by knarnn.)

(03-05-2019, 02:15 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 12:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: People have been projecting DK the “athlete” for 2 years now. Everyone knew he would destroy the combine and he did for the most part. 

I don't think you watched a single Ole Miss game this year if you don't think that DK Metcalf was the most dominant WR they had on the field last year.

His true Freshman year he only played 2 games...2 catches for 2 TDs...then had a broken foot.

His Redshirt Freshman season they had a ton of playmakers that were taking up catches (AJ Brown - 75, DaMarkus Lodge - 41 , Van Jefferson - 42, DK - 39,  Dawson Knox - 24 , Jordan Wilkins - 26) All of these guy will be NFL players.

His Final season he was on pace for 975 yards and 9 TDs before he got his neck jarred on a Special Teams Kick Off play.

A lot of Ole Miss fans were irate with the OC his final 2 years because he focused almost entirely on RPO and underneath routes...while AJ Brown is a stud he got a lot of inflated stats due to the shear number of targets.  The OC basically told DK to go deep every route and didn't develop him...he also completely ignored Dawson Knox at TE who only got 15 catches his final season...it also doesn't help a go deep WR when the OC/RG/RT were either injured or true Freshman.

Drop Rates:
I don't know the exact numbers but while watching I always felt like Brown dropped a lot more than DK ever did.

What was Calvin Johnson's Shuttle/3 Cone times? Larry Fitzgerald? Those weren't exactly top of that category either. You aren't drafting him to be an underneath WR thats not his game and he shouldn't be used in that way.

Injury History:
The foot injury obviously didn't have any linger affects on him and the neck injury came from him playing on Kick Off team which was stupid of the coaches...I don't know what other injury history he has...

Regarding the bold - This is contradictory no? What kind of WR is he exactly?

He played in 12 games in 2017 and had 40 recs for 650 yards he was targeted 79 times averaging 3 catches a game. That puts him at an abysmal 50% catch rate. I believe he’s been credited with 11 drops on a career of 67 recs. He’s right around a 17% drop rate. Again, not stellar.

AJ Brown clearly outplayed him and the numbers prove it. DK was a glorified deep threat because unfortunately, he struggles running more complex routes and getting the separation to do so. He wins off the line by outmuscling his counterparts but his footwork is a mess. When matched up against more technical corners playing NFL styled defenses he struggled. Look at the LSU game. Look at the Cal game. Those cut ups are readily available.

He’s a project. Let’s just call a spade a spade. While I am absolutely intrigued about pairing his massive upside and physical skills with the likes of a technical coach in McCardell, there’s a strong possibility he may never reach full potential. Is he on par with the great WRs of the past decade? Because if you take him that early you are saying he is. Edit- ****Didn’t we just go thru this with Fournette!!!***

Question: how would you guys rate Randy Moss' route running out of college?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-05-2019, 03:25 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 02:15 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: I don't think you watched a single Ole Miss game this year if you don't think that DK Metcalf was the most dominant WR they had on the field last year.

A lot of Ole Miss fans were irate with the OC his final 2 years because he focused almost entirely on RPO and underneath routes...while AJ Brown is a stud he got a lot of inflated stats due to the shear number of targets.  The OC basically told DK to go deep every route and didn't develop him...he also completely ignored Dawson Knox at TE who only got 15 catches his final season...it also doesn't help a go deep WR when the OC/RG/RT were either injured or true Freshman.

Drop Rates:

Injury History:

Regarding the bold - This is contradictory no? What kind of WR is he exactly?

He played in 12 games in 2017 and had 40 recs for 650 yards he was targeted 79 times averaging 3 catches a game. That puts him at an abysmal 50% catch rate. I believe he’s been credited with 11 drops on a career of 67 recs. He’s right around a 17% drop rate. Again, not stellar.

AJ Brown clearly outplayed him and the numbers prove it. DK was a glorified deep threat because unfortunately, he struggles running more complex routes and getting the separation to do so. He wins off the line by outmuscling his counterparts but his footwork is a mess. When matched up against more technical corners playing NFL styled defenses he struggled. Look at the LSU game. Look at the Cal game. Those cut ups are readily available.

He’s a project. Let’s just call a spade a spade. While I am absolutely intrigued about pairing his massive upside and physical skills with the likes of a technical coach in McCardell, there’s a strong possibility he may never reach full potential. Is he on par with the great WRs of the past decade? Because if you take him that early you are saying he is. Edit-  ****Didn’t we just go thru this with Fournette!!!***
He is an outside WR that is going to run GO/Post/Fade type routes he isn't going to be a slot/drag route WR...not that hard to see that.

The OC was a guy that never should have been hired and was on record stating that the WRs in his system basically run backyard routes and just free lance once the play starts....he basically says DK go deep left...Lodge go deep right...AJ go over the middle...if you look at all of the Ole Miss guys none of them ran complex route trees b/c the OC didn't require it and thats why he is gone and why an Ole Miss offense with 3 NFL WRS (DK, Brown, Lodge), NFL LT (Little), NFL RB (Wilkins last year), NFL TE (Knox), and 2 potential NFL QBs (Shea Patterson/Taamu) sucked.

You blame DK for a 50% catch rate which tells me you didn't watch the games just cut ups...look at the LSU game where the Taamu went 19/38 for 178 yards and Shea Patterson went 10/23 116 yards with 3 Ints...or the Bama game where the Taamu went 7/22 for 135 (92 of that being DK), or the MS State game where the QB went 8/17 for 87 yards and the true freshman came in for 5/8 65 yards....the point being you can't blame DK's production dropping when its obvious that the right side OL/QB really sucked when facing better defenses. As for the Cal game, DK went 3 for 125 yards and a TD...I'll take that every day.

And I don't get what is contradictory about a WR thats asked to go 30+ yards deep on every play to not get many accurate passes his way when the entire right side of the OL is a turnstile...that's what eventually got Taamu's ankle hurt.

No doubt he needs coaching with some of the routes but I don't think he is something of the Heyward-Bey level project.

(03-03-2019, 12:42 AM)You flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 08:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Being big strong and fast doesn’t make you a great WR. You’re acting like Al Davis.

I said that a while back before the combine.  I thought Harry was your guy? Matcalf has a lot more than that.  Dude reminds me of Josh Gordon without the backage.

Harry is my guy. I think this is a guy who’s a prime example of the combine failing scouts. The guy doesn’t show up athletically but he finds a way of getting open and making plays similar to blhurns but better imo I think he ends up the best WR in my opinion!