Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fournette versus Watson

(01-07-2019, 03:00 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 01:39 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: A good amount of the sacks he took this year were due to him holding the ball too long. He takes a long time to go through his progressions. Hes also fairly careless with the football. He improved somewhat this year, but he threw a ton of interceptions his senior year in college and his first year in the nfl he was far and away the leader in turnover worthy throws before his injury.

A good amount of his sacks were because he has a god awful line too and he actually avoided plenty of sacks with his mobility too. Does he hold the ball longer than most, yes, but it's his style of play and he's been a high level passer at every single level with it. Playmaking QBs generally hold the ball longer and take more sacks.

His interception rate in college when you factor in how much he threw the ball wasn't that bad. My concern was with how often he didn't see the underneath defender but he's cleaned that up.    

Taking lots of sacks behind a bottom 3 line and having an average interception rate throughout college and the NFL aren't valid reasons to discredit the rest of what he brings. He essentially had the same passer rating as Philip Rivers this year despite how much more pressure he was under

Rivers is the one had had a bottom 3 oline
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pr...er-week-17

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-07-2019, 01:03 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Watson's pretty scrappy, but I think Fournette probably has enough of a weight advantage that he'd put him out.

Both hurt their legs in the opening minute. No decision.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Not to mention look one they say about Cam, looks like Cam was ready to dominate before the injury, didnt a low a single pressure. Cams going to be a best next year

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2019, 11:28 AM by JackCity.)

(01-07-2019, 09:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 03:00 AM)JackCity Wrote: A good amount of his sacks were because he has a god awful line too and he actually avoided plenty of sacks with his mobility too. Does he hold the ball longer than most, yes, but it's his style of play and he's been a high level passer at every single level with it. Playmaking QBs generally hold the ball longer and take more sacks.

His interception rate in college when you factor in how much he threw the ball wasn't that bad. My concern was with how often he didn't see the underneath defender but he's cleaned that up.    

Taking lots of sacks behind a bottom 3 line and having an average interception rate throughout college and the NFL aren't valid reasons to discredit the rest of what he brings. He essentially had the same passer rating as Philip Rivers this year despite how much more pressure he was under

Rivers is the one had had a bottom 3 oline

They gave up 12 sacks in the first 8 games..Houston gave up like 35. That's not just down to the QBs playstyle.

62 sacks and 126 QB hits given up by Houston
36 sacks and 86 give up by LA.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2019, 11:35 AM by Mikey.)

(01-06-2019, 10:19 AM)old_man Wrote: Fournette may be cut before next season,  but Deshawn Watson layed out a stinker in the playoff game versus the Dolts.....

Fournette is still a better pick.

Wait until next year Watson will even be worse.

Both guys require a competent or better line to perform well.

Easier to replace RB, I'd be much less anxious with Watson on the roster than with Fournette.

(01-06-2019, 12:33 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 11:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd take Watson if we had the time machine.

Me too, but in a devil's advocate kind of way there is a case to be made that it's better to go 4-12 and get yourself a proper QB who can win in the playoffs instead of having a decent QB who can you get you to 10-6 and into the playoffs but not beyond.

Ah, the Alton Dandy!

(01-07-2019, 11:24 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 09:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Rivers is the one had had a bottom 3 oline

They gave up 12 sacks in the first 8 games..Houston gave up like 35. That's not just down to the QBs playstyle.

I posted the rankings.  Rivers get the ball out much faster than Watson

(01-07-2019, 01:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 11:24 AM)JackCity Wrote: They gave up 12 sacks in the first 8 games..Houston gave up like 35. That's not just down to the QBs playstyle.

I posted the rankings.  Rivers get the ball out much faster than Watson
He sure does. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would rather have the Texans line over the Chargers though, they allowed over 200 pressures this year and were 1st in pressure rate allowed. 
They were a worse pass blocking line than the Texans.

(01-06-2019, 10:19 AM)old_man Wrote: Fournette may be cut before next season,  but Deshawn Watson layed out a stinker in the playoff game versus the Dolts.....

Fournette is still a better pick.

Wait until next year Watson will even be worse.

Watson was playing behind the only OL in the NFL that might be worse than ours, and still looked like a future stud more often than not. Fournette displayed an inability to find the hole, a lack of burst through the hole, a lack of speed in the open field and an inability to stay on the field, whether by virtue of injury or immaturity.

Fournette is dangerously close to having his name mentioned in the same breath as Trent Richardson.

Dont talk about playoffs u hypocrites. Bb5 made it to the afccg with a putrid game plan and still gets hated on. Watson has a tailored gameplan n looked horrible. Fournette wasnt the better pick but watson sucks as well
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(01-10-2019, 11:02 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Dont talk about playoffs u hypocrites.  Bb5 made it to the afccg with a putrid game plan and still gets hated on.  Watson has a tailored gameplan n looked horrible.  Fournette wasnt the better pick but watson sucks as well

Last years gameplan was definitely tailored to Bortles. Run to set up the pass, play great defense. Take the game out of Bortles hands. BB5 made it to the conference championship but that playoff run was definitely driven by the run game and defense.

Well folks....what do we think?

Watson

(09-09-2019, 10:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: Well folks....what do we think?

Zero contest.

I don't hate Fournette as much as many here, but Watson is a star caliber player at the most important position.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-09-2019, 10:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: Well folks....what do we think?

I think I would be less fun if I didn't enjoy a beer once in a while.

That said, I'm not even that fun with a beer or two in me.

I was always against 2.4nette, but I wasn't on the Watson train either. Clearly he would have been ligtyears better than a RB in the top five.

(09-10-2019, 10:20 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I was always against 2.4nette, but I wasn't on the Watson train either. Clearly he would have been ligtyears better than a RB in the top five.
"At this point Watson isn't a true franchise passer and looks an awful lot like Kaepernick in his good seasons"

Clueless.

Watson is a franchise QB and they don't grow on trees. So happy to have him after the QB carousel we went through.

Sorry to hear about Nick Foles, that sucks. He could be back by the end of the season right?

(09-10-2019, 12:13 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Watson is a franchise QB and they don't grow on trees. So happy to have him after the QB carousel we went through.

Sorry to hear about Nick Foles, that sucks. He could be back by the end of the season right?

If all goes right he'll be back with 7 games to play.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-10-2019, 12:13 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Watson is a franchise QB and they don't grow on trees. So happy to have him after the QB carousel we went through.

Apparently they do grow on trees now.

The NFL just sucks when marginal players like Watson and Minshew have good games.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 12:45 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

(09-10-2019, 12:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Apparently they do grow on trees now.

The NFL just sucks when marginal players like Watson and Minshew have good games.

Really, where's your franchise QB then?

Y'all have been searching even longer than we did.

(09-10-2019, 12:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

If all goes right he'll be back with 7 games to play.

Good, I was curious to see how it'd work out.. atleast he'll still come back with some time to evaluate this season.