Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags expected to Part ways with Malik Jackson

(01-10-2019, 10:41 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 11:59 AM)Kane Wrote: Jackson and 7 and next years first to trade up with 9ers.
Probably would take some other mid round pick swapping or something, but I hear they need DL pass rush help.

Either way, I'd expect Jackson to be traded for a late round pick at least. He's too talented and his guarantees in his contract are all paid up, so it'd be low risk high reward for a team in need of interior pass rush with a comfy cap situation.
No way some team doesn't wanna get first dibs at him for a late rounder I think. If he's cut, teams will have to bid for him and while it may be cheaper than picking up his current contract, I'd guess there are 10-12 teams that would be vying for his talents. That's a good bit of bidding. 1 in 10 chance in free agency or a guarantee plug and play DT for a late round pick

Wouldn't really sense with how many 3 techs the 49ers have but im with the general idea of using him to acquire capital for this years draft

9ers have a lot of 3T? I'm not aware of the actual roster situation of most other teams. Just been hearing 9ers have a need for DL/pass rush.

Regardless though... Jackson should have trade value and I'd be OK using him to gain picks or move up in the draft.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I seen scenarios where we trade Telvin to the 49ers for picks.
No Fun

(01-10-2019, 11:54 AM)Kane Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 10:41 AM)JackCity Wrote: Wouldn't really sense with how many 3 techs the 49ers have but im with the general idea of using him to acquire capital for this years draft

9ers have a lot of 3T? I'm not aware of the actual roster situation of most other teams. Just been hearing 9ers have a need for DL/pass rush.

Regardless though... Jackson should have trade value and I'd be OK using him to gain picks or move up in the draft.
Buckner, Armstead and Solomon Thomas all are pretty much 3T.

They need outside pass rusher help and Bosa would be ideal for them.

(01-10-2019, 01:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 11:54 AM)Kane Wrote: 9ers have a lot of 3T? I'm not aware of the actual roster situation of most other teams. Just been hearing 9ers have a need for DL/pass rush.

Buckner, Armstead and Solomon Thomas all are pretty much 3T.

They need outside pass rusher help and Bosa would be ideal for them.

They've been using Armstead and Thomas as DE's, but Buckner has been a fantastic 3 technique. Armstead was probably one of the most overrated prospects in the last 10 years. Thomas Shows promise as a 5 technique in a hybrid 4-3, once the Niners find their LEO. Bosa would indeed be ideal, opposite Thomas.

(01-09-2019, 11:59 AM)Kane Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 10:16 AM)JackCity Wrote: We'd easily get picks for him if he was moved. Probably not higher than a 3rd and saying you are planing on cutting him anyway doesn't help his value at all. Even if we got a 5th I'd be good. Could also be used as part of a trade up in the draft.  

Yeah me too. I'd say we should restructure him but for both parties its p clear moving on would be best.

Jackson and 7 and next years first to trade up with 9ers.
Probably would take some other mid round pick swapping or something, but I hear they need DL pass rush help.

Either way, I'd expect Jackson to be traded for a late round pick at least. He's too talented and his guarantees in his contract are all paid up, so it'd be low risk high reward for a team in need of interior pass rush with a comfy cap situation.
No way some team doesn't wanna get first dibs at him for a late rounder I think. If he's cut, teams will have to bid for him and while it may be cheaper than picking up his current contract, I'd guess there are 10-12 teams that would be vying for his talents. That's a good bit of bidding. 1 in 10 chance in free agency or a guarantee plug and play DT for a late round pick

The last thing the 49ers need are more DTs.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-10-2019, 10:38 AM)Kane Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 04:22 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: He got a ton of $ to sign. Those don't usually end up worth it, although Campbell is.

Jackson was worth it and in 2016 and 2017 dude balled out.

And in 2018, Todd Wash was all, "Let's play you as an interior lineman at 270 and see how long it takes for you to get owned by 315-lb. guards."

(01-11-2019, 10:12 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 10:38 AM)Kane Wrote: Jackson was worth it and in 2016 and 2017 dude balled out.

And in 2018, Todd Wash was all, "Let's play you as an interior lineman at 270 and see how long it takes for you to get owned by 315-lb. guards."

I don't recall anything about the team asking him to drop weight.  You have anything official on that?  I was under the impression that weight drop was a Malik Jackson decision.

(01-11-2019, 10:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 10:12 PM)TJBender Wrote: And in 2018, Todd Wash was all, "Let's play you as an interior lineman at 270 and see how long it takes for you to get owned by 315-lb. guards."

I don't recall anything about the team asking him to drop weight.  You have anything official on that?  I was under the impression that weight drop was a Malik Jackson decision.

Not a link, no, don't care enough about the topic to go trying to find one. Someone on jaguars.com at some point said that Jackson was playing at 270, and I may well have just assumed it was a coach's decisions since players don't typically just decide to drop 25 lbs without someone giving the ok.

(01-12-2019, 05:33 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 10:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't recall anything about the team asking him to drop weight.  You have anything official on that?  I was under the impression that weight drop was a Malik Jackson decision.

Not a link, no, don't care enough about the topic to go trying to find one. Someone on jaguars.com at some point said that Jackson was playing at 270, and I may well have just assumed it was a coach's decisions since players don't typically just decide to drop 25 lbs without someone giving the ok.

I remember him doing a sit down with Oehser in a video on the website and he indeed made it sound like he wanted to drop weight (back in the summer) - thought it would help him get after the passer. I really don't think that directive came from the team.

I'm not sure what the Teal Kool Aid has been spiked with on here, but Malik Jackson has no trade value. 

First, there aren't that many players traded in the NFL.  Second, Malik has a high salary for a DT.  Third, he's coming off an awful season where he was benched. 

Why would any team give up picks for a backup DT on a bad team who is earning high starter pay?  Especially when the 2019 draft is loaded with D-linemen?  There are going to be good D-lineman available all the way through the 4th round for cheap.

I think there will be a trade market for Malik, for at least a late round pick. The acquiring team picks up the remaining contract with no signing bonus, no guarantees, and 3 years remaining. It is very low risk for a 29 year old vet that has proven he can ball (and pressure the QB).

(01-12-2019, 06:58 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: I'm not sure what the Teal Kool Aid has been spiked with on here, but Malik Jackson has no trade value. 

First, there aren't that many players traded in the NFL.  Second, Malik has a high salary for a DT.  Third, he's coming off an awful season where he was benched. 

Why would any team give up picks for a backup DT on a bad team who is earning high starter pay?  Especially when the 2019 draft is loaded with D-linemen?  There are going to be good D-lineman available all the way through the 4th round for cheap.

He wasn't benched. He lost some snaps late in the season to a rookie the staff wanted to develop in the rotation. 

[Image: 2cohlzk.jpg]

He also pressured QBs at a decent pace in several games.  Not as consistently as 2017, but not terrible by any means. 

It was his play vs the run that took a hit more than anything - and it's not teal kool aid to attribute some of that to him dropping too much weight.

(01-12-2019, 06:58 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: I'm not sure what the Teal Kool Aid has been spiked with on here, but Malik Jackson has no trade value. 

That's completely ignoring the reality of the NFL trade market. 

Over a 3 year span Malik was something like top 5 in pressures amongst interior rushers. Any team with a brain will see that this year was an anomaly and was a year where almost every jaguars player regressed.  You'd be a fool to think a player like that has no trade value (also his contract is pretty much risk free)

He still has a huge dead cap hit. Darius has no dead cap hit and you instantly save 10 mil on the year. Plus I thought abbry filled in well when available. That would have made more since imo

(01-13-2019, 11:04 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: He still has a huge dead cap hit. Darius has no dead cap hit and you instantly save 10 mil on the year. Plus I thought abbry filled in well when available. That would have made more since imo

15 million cap hit vs 4 million dead cap

Jags would have 4.7 mil in dead money on Dareus' deal if they cut him this offseason.  (His cap hit in 2019 if retained in 10.2 mil.)
So they'd save about 5.5 mil by cutting him.

With Jackson, their options are as follows:

[Image: xbwfo3.jpg]

Jacksons cap hit in 2019 would be 15 mil. 
So cutting Jackson post 6/1 saves them 13 mil. 

There are numerous reports on Malik Jackson that he was outright benched this season for Abry Jones; he didn't just lose snaps in the rotation for the young players. And the defense did improve after Jackson was benched if that says anything.

His salary for a DT is top 7 in the NFL. He's not making much less than JJ Watt and I doubt anyone on here would argue that Malik Jackson is anywhere near the caliber player that JJ Watt is. Sure, it would be great if there was a trade market for Malik Jackson, but what team is going to give up precious draft picks for a DT scheduled to make $15M next year?

The reality is the 2019 NFL Draft is absolutely loaded with D-linemen this year, so why would any team looking for D-line help not spend a mid-round pick on a cheap rookie contract rather than overpay for someone like Jackson?

(01-13-2019, 07:02 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: There are numerous reports on Malik Jackson that he was outright benched this season for Abry Jones; he didn't just lose snaps in the rotation for the young players.  And the defense did improve after Jackson was benched if that says anything.

His salary for a DT is top 7 in the NFL.  He's not making much less than JJ Watt and I doubt anyone on here would argue that Malik Jackson is anywhere near the caliber player that JJ Watt is.  Sure, it would be great if there was a trade market for Malik Jackson, but what team is going to give up precious draft picks for a DT scheduled to make $15M next year?

The reality is the 2019 NFL Draft is absolutely loaded with D-linemen this year, so why would any team looking for D-line help  not spend a mid-round pick on a cheap rookie contract rather than overpay for someone like Jackson?

So - what you are talking about was Jones getting the start starting in week 11 because they liked him better against the run where Jackson was having a bad go of it. 

Here's what actually happened in the snap counts:

week 11:  Jones - 42  Jackson 33 - Bryan  -26
week 12:  Jones - 37 - Jackson 37 - Bryan - 30
week 13:  Jackson - 42 -Bryan 29 - Jones - 20
week 14:  Bryan - 37 - Jackson 36 - Jones - 0 (injured shin)
week 15:  Jones - 41 - Bryan 27 - Jackson 27
week 16:  Jones - 36 - Bryan 16 - Jackson - 11
week 17:  Jones 54 - Bryan 37  - Jackson 26

You can call that "being benched" if that's what it says to you. I just don't really see that. 
There are three weeks there when he played fewer than 30 snaps and  those are the weeks that Marrone stated they were trying to get a better look at Bryan playing 3tech. (team was out of playoff contention)

His rotation numbers took a hit because he was struggling against the run and then he took another hit when they wanted to see more from the rook.

I have no idea what another team would or wouldn't trade for him - but now that I've seen his contract details - the Jags can just cut him post 6/1 and save themselves 13 mil. 
So that's probably what happens - and since other teams know that - they'll probably wait and try to sign him off the street cheaper than his deal. That's my guess anyway.

(01-13-2019, 07:02 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: There are numerous reports on Malik Jackson that he was outright benched this season for Abry Jones; he didn't just lose snaps in the rotation for the young players.  And the defense did improve after Jackson was benched if that says anything.

His salary for a DT is top 7 in the NFL.  He's not making much less than JJ Watt and I doubt anyone on here would argue that Malik Jackson is anywhere near the caliber player that JJ Watt is.  Sure, it would be great if there was a trade market for Malik Jackson, but what team is going to give up precious draft picks for a DT scheduled to make $15M next year?

The reality is the 2019 NFL Draft is absolutely loaded with D-linemen this year, so why would any team looking for D-line help  not spend a mid-round pick on a cheap rookie contract rather than overpay for someone like Jackson?

You think nobody would give up a 7th a rounder for a pass rusher like Malik? 

You highly overestimate how many 7th rounders hit or even contribute positively to the team that drafted them.  Malik can be easily cut at any time and would be in favour of renegotiation for sure

(01-09-2019, 01:03 AM)TJBender Wrote: Not a surprise at all. Taven Bryan will step in.

And that’s it