Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trading Telvin

We were hurting at LB last year imo, mainly inside/early downs, but Smith didn't have a great year either. We really need to sure up the LB spot, its a bit of an underrated "need" we have being the defense still played relatively well. A true MIKE should be brought in, and Jack should go back outside again, I think he was much better opposite of Smith when we had a guy like Poz we could use inside.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-10-2019, 06:39 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: We were hurting at LB last year imo, mainly inside/early downs, but Smith didn't have a great year either. We really need to sure up the LB spot, its a bit of an underrated "need" we have being the defense still played relatively well. A true MIKE should be brought in, and Jack should go back outside again, I think he was much better opposite of Smith when we had a guy like Poz we could use inside.

From what I have seen, Myles Jack is a better WLB than Telvin Smith.   And Poz was a much better MLB than Myles Jack.   That tells me that if you want to improve the linebacking, you move Myles to WLB, and get a true MLB.   What that would mean for Telvin?   I like Telvin, but 215 is just way too light for decent run support.  

But, as I said earlier, this is not high on my list of priorities.  We have so many needs on offense that we might want to let this one go another year.

(01-09-2019, 07:06 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: It never ceases to amaze me how some people want to trade away or cut some of our best players... just for the sake of change and/or for draft picks.  Take a look at the big picture and the circumstances this past season.  The defense was on the field way too long in many games and were playing from behind more often than not.

I didn't get from reading this thread that anyone was forming a mob to storm the front office with demands to rid the roster of Mr. Smith.

It's a fun thought exercise - we have a guy with some talent, who may be in demand should we move on from him, and may not be in the long-term plans of the franchise. 

I don't consider Telvin expendable AT ALL as the roster currently stands.  In my scenario, drafting a true MLB prospect and moving Jack to the Will means you have two guys on the field likely costing as much or less than Telvin's cap figure. Only then would you begin to start looking at the potential of moving talent off the roster. As we move closer to the days of renewing some of our better players, we are going to begin parting ways with guys who are going to be good players here, and likely good players wherever they land, too.

If the team decides Telvin is a better fit than Jack, maybe he's the one that gets traded, or allowed to walk at the end of his rookie deal. Have fun with the topic, it beats crying about how we never have talent on the roster to even entertain these types of conversations.  I remember those days, too.

(01-09-2019, 11:33 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: What about Jacobs and Brown? Can they help?

The jury is out on Jacobs, he still has a few years (IMO) to show that he can develop and see the field.  Brown at this point is who he is. He was a late pick, and serves well as a reserve/backup who contributes on special teams. As a Bobcat, I hate to say but I don't see him turning a corner and becoming a fixture on the roster.  He probably doesn't get renewed after his rookie deal unless he agrees to a minimal offer.

Every time u look up, [Telvin]* lookin up from layin on his chest from a stiff arm or a missed tackle. The great athletic plays are cool, but... Consistency brother!

*mod edit
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(01-10-2019, 07:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 06:39 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: We were hurting at LB last year imo, mainly inside/early downs, but Smith didn't have a great year either. We really need to sure up the LB spot, its a bit of an underrated "need" we have being the defense still played relatively well. A true MIKE should be brought in, and Jack should go back outside again, I think he was much better opposite of Smith when we had a guy like Poz we could use inside.

From what I have seen, Myles Jack is a better WLB than Telvin Smith.   And Poz was a much better MLB than Myles Jack.   That tells me that if you want to improve the linebacking, you move Myles to WLB, and get a true MLB.   What that would mean for Telvin?   I like Telvin, but 215 is just way too light for decent run support.  

But, as I said earlier, this is not high on my list of priorities.  We have so many needs on offense that we might want to let this one go another year.

Telvins issue is more with his pass coverage than it is with run D

To get under the cap for this next season, the Jags are going to have to cut some players, including likely a couple solid defensive players. I am not sure that ridding through trade Telvin Smith, a defensive leader, is right from a timing standpoint for a staff that needs to win sooner than later.

Telvin and Ramsey are the only 2 players that didn't show up for the voluntary training camp. Ramsey is in Nashville with his dad again like last year but where is Telvin? As bad as a year he had, you think he would of showed up.

Not being in Jax this week isn’t going to determine whether Telvin has a bounce back season or not.

Non-issue.

Why people want to stress over voluntary workouts every year is beyond me...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Yes, they are voluntary per CBA agreement. However, it does not mean they are less important for the learning or development of the player.

(01-10-2019, 07:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: From what I have seen, Myles Jack is a better WLB than Telvin Smith.   And Poz was a much better MLB than Myles Jack.   That tells me that if you want to improve the linebacking, you move Myles to WLB, and get a true MLB.   What that would mean for Telvin?   I like Telvin, but 215 is just way too light for decent run support.  

Devin White at 7th pick.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(04-17-2019, 07:43 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Yes, they are voluntary per CBA agreement.  However, it does not mean they are less important for the learning or development of the player.

So what exactly is going to change on defense they he is going to learn?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2019, 08:28 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-16-2019, 11:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Not being in Jax this week isn’t going to determine whether Telvin has a bounce back season or not.

Non-issue.

Who said that?  It would be nice if he was there though being he his one of our team captains.  Why should anyone show up then?

(04-17-2019, 07:43 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Yes, they are voluntary per CBA agreement.  However, it does not mean they are less important for the learning or development of the player.

Exactly

(04-17-2019, 07:50 AM)PF* Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 07:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: From what I have seen, Myles Jack is a better WLB than Telvin Smith.   And Poz was a much better MLB than Myles Jack.   That tells me that if you want to improve the linebacking, you move Myles to WLB, and get a true MLB.   What that would mean for Telvin?   I like Telvin, but 215 is just way too light for decent run support.  

Devin White at 7th pick.
If we could get a 2nd for Telvin I'd like it.  The Raiders might give their 2nd for him.  Jack could move to Will where he is Taylor made for

White would be the leader of this D the team needs

(04-17-2019, 08:53 AM)Rico Wrote: https://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jagu...y-workouts

[Image: tenor.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Telvin needed Poz' tutelage in the worst possible way last year.

(04-16-2019, 10:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Telvin and Ramsey are the only 2 players that didn't show up for the voluntary training camp.  Ramsey is in Nashville with his dad again like last year but where is Telvin?  As bad as a year he had, you think he would of showed up.

There's only one thing that could happen this week that's likely to have an effect on Telvin come September: an injury. His not being with the team in April is not going to make or break his season.

(04-17-2019, 09:14 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Telvin needed Poz' tutelage in the worst possible way last year.

The defense as a whole needed him last year. I saw a lot of athletic ability and recovery ability trying to make up for the lack of leadership, veteran experience and instincts that we lost with Paul's retirement. Campbell held it down for the front four. Ramsey's play pretty much leads by example. 

Church fell off horribly. And now Gipson is gone. It's crucial that they either get more out of Jack this year at the Mike position or they add a major upgrade to that position through this draft between a guy like Devin White or possibly Mack Wilson later on in the draft to gain some type of instinctive and natural leadership at that position.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."