Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stadium Talk

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2019, 11:04 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

You need more people living downtown with a large entertainment district within walking distance of their housing. Once that happens, more people will visit an already busy downtown nightlife. That’s easier said than done though.

As nice as having the river is, I think it’s been part of the reason for the slow growth of downtown. There are entertainment areas on both sides of the river but it’s not really walkable to go from one to another and none of the entertainment areas are all that big. The monorail was and continues to be a disaster, but perhaps expanding it to connect the various entertainment areas in downtown and the surrounding areas might go a long way to helping the situation and turning a useless asset into something that could actually be profitable. I have no idea how economically viable the monorail is, I just have to imagine it doesn’t currently turn a profit.

Ideally, I’d like to see the jail relocated out of downtown and to convert that spot into more nightlife and/or high rise housing. In conjunction with the shipyards development, you’d have a strip of bars/restaurants/housing going from the stadium and almost getting over to the Landing which should be enough to make downtown consistently busy at night and entice further housing developments downtown. The shipyards getting done is going to be the catalyst for anything else getting done, however.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-12-2019, 10:59 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: You need more people living downtown with a large entertainment district within walking distance of their housing.  Once that happens, more people will visit an already busy downtown nightlife.  That’s easier said than done though.

As nice as having the river is, I think it’s been part of the reason for the slow growth of downtown.  There are entertainment areas on both sides of the river but it’s not really walkable to go from one to another and none of the entertainment areas are all that big.  The monorail was and continues to be a disaster, but perhaps expanding it to connect the various entertainment areas in downtown and the surrounding areas might go a long way to helping the situation and turning a useless asset into something that could actually be profitable.  I have no idea how economically viable the monorail is, I just have to imagine it doesn’t currently turn a profit.

Ideally, I’d like to see the jail relocated out of downtown and to convert that spot into more nightlife and/or high rise housing.  In conjunction with the shipyards development, you’d have a strip of bars/restaurants/housing going from the stadium and almost getting over to the Landing which should be enough to make downtown consistently busy at night and entice further housing developments downtown.  The shipyards getting done is going to be the catalyst for anything else getting done, however.

They are already tearing down the old courthouse and old city hall, which, inexplicably, were built on the river.

That's a start.

The question then becomes whether the city "leaders" and FBC allows sensible development of those properties.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-11-2019, 06:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 05:20 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Hoa boy, some things to consider.

1.) Didn't the franchise just win "best stadium experience" in the NFL? That was like 1-2 years ago. I know the "experience" isn't a 100% reflection of the stadium itself, bu it has to be closely related. How can you be voted #1 stadium experience if your stadium was a dump? I can't see how. Shooting t-shirts into the crowd and having your mascot bungee jump from the top row can't make up for a total dumpster stadium. Yea, I understand how having a pool built into the stadium is more of a "cute" move that won't fix a bad venue on its own, but I just don't grasp how you can be voted #1 stadium experience if your stadium is terrible. It doesn't add up.
No one is calling it a dump. There really isn't some negative view of the stadium in general. 
I think the game day experience is pretty good and I've been to games in a dozen stadiums all over the country. 

All we are talking about the executive president of the franchise answering questions about hosting a superbowl. 

You seem to be running somewhere else altogether here. No one said it was terrible. 

It's not a bad venue. It simply cannot be competitive  with the influx of new stadiums like the ones in Dallas, Atlanta, Minneapolis etc when it comes time to attract a superbowl.  Not to mention the fact that the underlying structure of TIAA Bank Field is that of the old Gator Bowl - built in the late 1940's. 
That structure was razed down to it's most essential structural components in 1994 and rebuilt into largely what it is now. It's received a few facelifts and upgrades, but it is very far from "modern." 

Every owner and every franchise eventually reach a point where big decisions must be made about upgrading their stadium.  It's still several years away for Jacksonville, but Lamping is wise enough to begin creating the required expectations for city funding to help when the time comes. That's all he's doing. Planting the seeds for an eventual "big ask" from the city of Jacksonville to share in the cost of a stadium that ranks with the best in the world.

Well, the article I saw rated it as 23rd, another at 25th. I still maintain those are quite low for a place that was voted "best stadium experience" just a year ago. 

https://www.simplemost.com/nfl-stadiums-...t-to-best/

And, like I said, I find Heinz Field and Bank comparable, yet HF is ranked 5th to Bank's 25th ranking. But in one of the articles, it seemed to consider the view and location, which HF would come in much higher considering those factors. 

Attracting a Super Bowl is an entire other kettle of fish. At that point, the entire city is very much part of the picture. In my opinion, the NFL tries too hard in considering various towns for that. I am not a fan of cold weather cities being considered; who wants to go to MN or NY for a SB? That's bent. Fans should be rewarded by visiting a warm weather town in Feb. They should rotate it between New Orleans, Miami, Tampa, LA, ATL and Dallas and call it a day. We tried a SB here, and it seemed our lack of hotels, etc. did not make it a real hit. Weren't their fans lodging as far away as Orlando for the game? Plus, as stated, there really isn't a "party area" in J-Ville capable of properly fulfilling a SB crowd. A town like New Orleans is Taylor made to host it. 

But again, if anything I am defending TIAA. And as you mentioned, this particular story is born from the team pitching the city help pay for upgrades in the future. That being said, TIAA is still ranked low by 3rd-party sources, and I am not sure why, other than indictment of the general location - as far as the stadium itself, I don't see how it should rank so low. Bank is fine.

(01-12-2019, 01:34 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 06:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: No one is calling it a dump. There really isn't some negative view of the stadium in general. 
I think the game day experience is pretty good and I've been to games in a dozen stadiums all over the country. 

All we are talking about the executive president of the franchise answering questions about hosting a superbowl. 

You seem to be running somewhere else altogether here. No one said it was terrible. 

It's not a bad venue. It simply cannot be competitive  with the influx of new stadiums like the ones in Dallas, Atlanta, Minneapolis etc when it comes time to attract a superbowl.  Not to mention the fact that the underlying structure of TIAA Bank Field is that of the old Gator Bowl - built in the late 1940's. 
That structure was razed down to it's most essential structural components in 1994 and rebuilt into largely what it is now. It's received a few facelifts and upgrades, but it is very far from "modern." 

Every owner and every franchise eventually reach a point where big decisions must be made about upgrading their stadium.  It's still several years away for Jacksonville, but Lamping is wise enough to begin creating the required expectations for city funding to help when the time comes. That's all he's doing. Planting the seeds for an eventual "big ask" from the city of Jacksonville to share in the cost of a stadium that ranks with the best in the world.

Well, the article I saw rated it as 23rd, another at 25th. I still maintain those are quite low for a place that was voted "best stadium experience" just a year ago. 

And, like I said, I find Heinz Field and Bank comparable, yet HF is ranked 5th to Bank's 25th ranking. But in one of the articles, it seemed to consider the view and location, which HF would come in much higher considering those factors. 

Attracting a Super Bowl is an entire other kettle of fish. ...
No - it's not.  It's the topic of the damn thread. 
You were going on about some random ranking click-bait article and Heinz freaking field.
That's not the topic here.
Getting the COJ on board to improve radically - or completely replace the current stadium in Jacksonville YEARS from now is what we're talking about.

(01-11-2019, 10:07 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 10:04 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Not making this religious because it's not about religion. A Church isn't necessarily about religion.

FBC. They hold back downtown. They have since the beginning of Jacksonville.

If people only knew how many potential "night life" businesses the FBC has destroyed from getting a start in downtown Jacksonville, they would be astounded.

Amen.

Given everything that's been invested in the arena, whatever they call the new Wolfson Field and the fairgrounds. I don't think the city would be interested in discussing a stadium outside of its current area. I don't know that Khan would be open to it either considering the investments he's made in the area that would be pretty well wasted by moving everything. If they were to do something that makes sense, I'd say divert business air traffic to JAX, Cecil, even Herlong possibly, tear out Craig Field and replace it with a new stadium complex. Regency Square is also wasting a ton of prime land for a stadium complex, but the price of buying all of that out would be insane. I don't like the idea of St. John's County, though. That's a long haul, and when you consider that most of St. John's County's road grid is two lanes and old, it would take a ton to develop something new there. I think the next Jaguars stadium is very likely to be built in the parking lot of the current one.

(01-12-2019, 01:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 01:34 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Well, the article I saw rated it as 23rd, another at 25th. I still maintain those are quite low for a place that was voted "best stadium experience" just a year ago. 

Attracting a Super Bowl is an entire other kettle of fish. ...
No - it's not.  It's the topic of the damn thread. 
You were going on about some random ranking click-bait article and Heinz freaking field.
Getting the COJ on board to improve radically - or completely replace the current stadium in Jacksonville YEARS from now is what we're talking about.

No, the topic of the "damn thread" is "Stadium Talk." It says nothing about the Super Bowl. Get it straight. Every assertion I made was spot on. 

If the truth bothers you, then pull a sheet over your head. Your tendency to being combative for no apparent reason is obvious. Bank is rated the 25th best stadium in the NFL.

(01-12-2019, 10:59 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: You need more people living downtown with a large entertainment district within walking distance of their housing.  Once that happens, more people will visit an already busy downtown nightlife.  That’s easier said than done though.

As nice as having the river is, I think it’s been part of the reason for the slow growth of downtown.  There are entertainment areas on both sides of the river but it’s not really walkable to go from one to another and none of the entertainment areas are all that big.  The monorail was and continues to be a disaster, but perhaps expanding it to connect the various entertainment areas in downtown and the surrounding areas might go a long way to helping the situation and turning a useless asset into something that could actually be profitable.  I have no idea how economically viable the monorail is, I just have to imagine it doesn’t currently turn a profit.

Ideally, I’d like to see the jail relocated out of downtown and to convert that spot into more nightlife and/or high rise housing.  In conjunction with the shipyards development, you’d have a strip of bars/restaurants/housing going from the stadium and almost getting over to the Landing which should be enough to make downtown consistently busy at night and entice further housing developments downtown.  The shipyards getting done is going to be the catalyst for anything else getting done, however.

A lot of good points here. That monorail project.....dear word. It reminds me of that episode of "The Simpsons." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

(01-12-2019, 03:08 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 01:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: No - it's not.  It's the topic of the damn thread. 

No, the topic of the "damn thread" is "Stadium Talk." It says nothing about the Super Bowl. Get it straight. Every assertion I made was spot on. 

If the truth bothers you, then pull a sheet over your head. Your tendency to being combative for no apparent reason is obvious. Bank is rated the 25th best stadium in the NFL.

Maybe you should have read the article posted in the original post that began the thread.
It was titled "Future of Aging Stadium a Concern."  

Quote:“If we don’t start thinking about it, we’ll wake up one day and have a stadium that’s not meeting the needs of the fans or the community,” he said.

Quote:Lamping said the stadium is one of many issues Jacksonville will need to address if the city wants to host another Super Bowl. 

“I do believe the Super Bowl will come back to Jacksonville, but it’s not going to be in the short term,” he said.
“It’s probably after Downtown Jacksonville gets closer to realizing its full potential,” he said.

Also - as was stated earlier in the thread, Lamping's most recent comments on all of this "which prompted the article" were in response to a question posed about the city hosting a superbowl. 

My tendency to be combative here is just me trying to help you figure out how to post something relevant. 
There's  a bit of frustration with your thinly veiled backhanded compliments and insistence upon bringing up the squealers in Jags threads. But whatever... maybe you'll get better at this, maybe you won't. 
I'll ignore it as best I can.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2019, 06:27 PM by Steelers Beaches.)

(01-12-2019, 03:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 03:08 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: No, the topic of the "damn thread" is "Stadium Talk." It says nothing about the Super Bowl. Get it straight. Every assertion I made was spot on. 

Maybe you should have read the article posted in the original post that began the thread.

Quote:“If we don’t start thinking about it, we’ll wake up one day and have a stadium that’s not meeting the needs of the fans or the community,” he said.

My tendency to be combative here is just me trying to help you figure out how to post something relevant. 
There's  a bit of frustration with your thinly veiled backhanded compliments and insistence upon bringing up the squealers in Jags threads. But whatever... maybe you'll get better at this, maybe you won't. 

That's odd, because you said the Super Bowl was mentioned in the thread's TITLE. <shrugs shoulders>

"No - it's not. It's the topic of the damn thread."

And you've used the "I am only trying to get you to post something relevant" excuse before. It was nonsense then and it's nonsense now. You're clearly overly sensitive - taking everything as a slight to the Jags where there is none. As a matter of fact, I was more complimentary to Bank than most Jags fan. 

And yes, I give my opinion from MY vantage point, which includes me being a lifelong Steeler fan having moved down here. But my assertions are always relevant to the Jags.  It appears you will take every comment as a slight, due to whatever. So be it. But it's not on me. I guess your natural state is anger.

(01-12-2019, 06:25 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 03:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

That's odd, because you said the Super Bowl was mentioned in the thread's TITLE. <shrugs shoulders>

"No - it's not.  It's the topic of the damn thread."

A "topic" is not a "title."  Two very different things. I never said it was in the title. 
It's the topic because the quotes from Lamping that began this whole discussion were borne out of a question posed to him about the superbowl in Jax. 

I thought it was silly that you shifted the topic where you did, and given your tendency to take jabs at the Jags, it just seemed like more of the same from you. 

I'm not exactly sure why you expect that a poster with "steelers" in his screen name wouldn't be treated with some skepticism   -  especially when he starts multiple threads bashing Jaguars players and then shifts a thread about long term stadium finance into "the Bank is one of the worst." 

I'll try to take you at your word, but you just haven't convinced me you aren't simply here to troll Jags fans. 
Where you went with this thread is no different.

(01-12-2019, 06:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 06:25 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: That's odd, because you said the Super Bowl was mentioned in the thread's TITLE. <shrugs shoulders>

"No - it's not.  It's the topic of the damn thread."

A "topic" is not a "title."  Two very different things. I never said it was in the title. 
It's the topic because the quotes from Lamping that began this whole discussion were borne out of a question posed to him about the superbowl in Jax. 

I thought it was silly that you shifted the topic where you did, and given your tendency to take jabs at the Jags, it just seemed like more of the same from you. 

I'm not exactly sure why you expect that a poster with "steelers" in his screen name wouldn't be treated with some skepticism   -  especially when he starts multiple threads bashing Jaguars players and then shifts a thread about long term stadium finance into "the Bank is one of the worst." 

I'll try to take you at your word, but you just haven't convinced me you aren't simply here to troll Jags fans. 

Now you're gonna play semantics games. Sorry, not interested (nor is anyone else). You have TN fans who post here, and you're gonna be dirty with anyone just for being a Steeler fan?

Knock yourself out. You live in NY? Why do you even care about the Jville area? 

And show me where I have ever "bashed" Jag players anymore than Jag fans themselves? Oh wait, are you going to tell me Bortels is a Hall of Fame QB?

You seem highly susceptible to getting your heiney hurt over just about anything. That is not my issue, it is yours. 

You are obviously overly sensitive. Simple objective assertions make your heiney hurt.

(01-13-2019, 02:07 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 06:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: A "topic" is not a "title."  Two very different things. I never said it was in the title. 

Now you're gonna play semantics games. Sorry, not interested (nor is anyone else). You have TN fans who post here, and you're gonna be dirty with anyone just for being a Steeler fan?

And show me where I have ever "bashed" Jag players anymore than Jag fans themselves? Oh wait, are you going to tell me Bortels is a Hall of Fame QB?

You seem highly susceptible to getting your heiney hurt over just about anything. That is not my issue, it is yours. 

You are obviously overly sensitive. Simple objective assertions make your heiney hurt.
My man - You not knowing what two-syllable words mean is not semantics.  You are confusing two very different things. 

Like I said - I'll lay off of your posts as best I can.  I'm sure others here can correct your mistakes for a while. 

Moving on...

BTW - I live in Jacksonville where I was born in raised. I lived in NYC for 14 years prior to returning here.

(01-13-2019, 02:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 02:07 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Now you're gonna play semantics games. Sorry, not interested (nor is anyone else). You have TN fans who post here, and you're gonna be dirty with anyone just for being a Steeler fan?

My man - You not knowing what two-syllable words mean is not semantics.  You are confusing two very different things. 

Like I said - I'll lay off of your posts as best I can.  I'm sure others here can correct your mistakes for a while. 

Moving on...

BTW - I live in Jacksonville where I was born in raised. I lived in NYC for 14 years prior to returning here.

"Hey ya'll, I'm walking heah! I'm walking!"

(01-13-2019, 02:40 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 02:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: My man - You not knowing what two-syllable words mean is not semantics.  You are confusing two very different things. 

Moving on...

"Hey ya'll, I'm walking heah! I'm walking!"

I guess 14 years was too long. I'm just a bitter New Yorker now. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Given the $$$ spent by Khan on the area already along with the future projects he's taking on....
moving the stadium from the general area probably isn't in the cards.
Best thing the city could do is encourage the FBC to sell most of their properties in the downtown
and let Jacksonville be the city it can be.
They've held things back for years
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 03:54 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(01-11-2019, 09:15 AM)Bullseye Wrote: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/f...he-jaguars

We need to be proactive with this.

The closing sentence speaks volumes.

Agreed, I have been banging this drum for about 3 years now. If we don't do it in the next couple of years, London will become our boogeyman. Our stadium is too old.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(01-13-2019, 03:51 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: Given the $$$ spent by Khan on the area already along with the future projects he's taking on....
Best thing the city could do is encourage the FBC to sell most of their properties in the downtown

Everyone keeps saying it's such an "old" stadium, but how does that manifest itself? How, specifically, is Bank such a lesser stadium than other places higher on the list?

Didn't Kahn pour $ into improving it? I know the huge screen is one of the things they added. It's not like there aren't escalators and you have to walk up stairs to your
seat level. And I'll ask again: How do you get voted "best stadium experience" if your stadium is so outdated? It doesn't add up.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 05:36 PM by Steelers Beaches.)

(01-13-2019, 02:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 02:07 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Now you're gonna play semantics games. Sorry, not interested (nor is anyone else). You have TN fans who post here, and you're gonna be dirty with anyone just for being a Steeler fan?

Moving on...

BTW, does living in NY for 14 years and then moving back down here qualify as a carpetbagger? I don't know carpetbagger rules.

(01-13-2019, 02:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 02:40 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: "Hey ya'll, I'm walking heah! I'm walking!"

I guess 14 years was too long. I'm just a bitter New Yorker now. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

It did cross my mind. At least people who live at the beaches don't seem as angry. Everyone feels like they are on vacation 24-7. It's awesome. Everyone is just chilled out and happy.

(01-13-2019, 05:32 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 02:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: My man - You not knowing what two-syllable words mean is not semantics.  You are confusing two very different things. 

Moving on...

BTW, does living in NY for 14 years and then moving back down here qualify as a carpetbagger? I don't know carpetbagger rules.
no

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/carpetbagger

While you're at that site - go ahead and look up "title," "topic,' and "semantics." 
I'm just giving you a hard time with this bit ^
Tongue

(01-13-2019, 05:15 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 03:51 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: Given the $$$ spent by Khan on the area already along with the future projects he's taking on....

Everyone keeps saying it's such an "old" stadium, but how does that manifest itself? How, specifically, is Bank such a lesser stadium than other places higher on the list?

Forget about the age of the stadium, it's not about age, it's about money. TIAA Bank Field is still missing certain revenue streams other, newer stadiums have. It's not as bad as it could, since the stadium was built with luxury suites and has since been renovated enough to keep a decent revenue stream going, but my guess is that in it's current state it's simply not bringing as much high level revenue as it can be if it were renovated.