Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Check out this mock and write up

Interesting insight and evaluations. Love the Jags selections.

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/fan-sub...hindenburg

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I read that earlier too. Unless Metcalf's neck injury gets red flagged that's a pie in the sky mock, but I'd be thrilled nonetheless.

I wouldn't hate that draft.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Where's the beef? Four offensive skill position players in the first three rounds and not a single body along the OL?

I also strongly disagree with the idea that Rawls means the end for Hyde. The guys you sign in January aren't of a caliber that you would make that decision without at least seeing them in OTAs. Rawls went downhill fast, and I'm not just talking about his running style.

Even if you replace Metcalf with someone who is more likely to still be available , like Kelvin Harmon or JJ Arcega-Whiteside, that would still be a killer draft.

No O-Linemen mean no success.

(01-11-2019, 11:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No O-Linemen mean no success.
I agree. We need to come out of the draft with at least one OL.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Yeah, nothing against those players but with Cam Robinson coming back from the injury, Linder always missing some games, Cann gone, Parnell aging, managing injuries and possibly cut for cap savings and a complete unknown in Richardson if we don't get a quality OL early (day 2 or even day 1 if for some reason we trade down or trade back into the first) I might have a meltdown lol.

(01-12-2019, 08:48 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Yeah, nothing against those players but with Cam Robinson coming back from the injury, Linder always missing some games, Cann gone, Parnell aging, managing injuries and possibly cut for cap savings and a complete unknown in Richardson if we don't get a quality OL early (day 2 or even day 1 if for some reason we trade down or trade back into the first) I might have a meltdown lol.

this ^

RG/RT is very up in the air right now

I like Cody Ford in the second round if he's still there.

(01-12-2019, 11:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 08:48 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Yeah, nothing against those players but with Cam Robinson coming back from the injury, Linder always missing some games, Cann gone, Parnell aging, managing injuries and possibly cut for cap savings and a complete unknown in Richardson if we don't get a quality OL early (day 2 or even day 1 if for some reason we trade down or trade back into the first) I might have a meltdown lol.

this ^

I have seen him mentioned quite a bit but I haven't watched any OL yet but ideally we find a quality one possibly with some versatility. Maybe someone who can play RG/RT or someone who can play both G and C so we can also eventually move Linder to RG when needed and be flexible with depth in case of injuries. And I'd be on board for doubling down on OL after the 3rd round as well. It all starts with Oline and QB play, the more quality OL we have the better.

(01-12-2019, 02:42 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 11:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: this ^

I have seen him mentioned quite a bit but I haven't watched any OL yet but ideally we find a quality one possibly with some versatility. Maybe someone who can play RG/RT or someone who can play both G and C so we can also eventually move Linder to RG when needed and be flexible with depth in case of injuries. And I'd be on board for doubling down on OL after the 3rd round as well. It all starts with Oline and QB play, the more quality OL we have the better.

This is one reason why I've zeroed in on Ford lately as there are analysts calling him a guard and other analysts calling him a future all-pro at RT. He also seems to have that mauling style in the run game which makes sense for the Jags.

(01-12-2019, 02:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 02:42 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: I have seen him mentioned quite a bit but I haven't watched any OL yet but ideally we find a quality one possibly with some versatility. Maybe someone who can play RG/RT or someone who can play both G and C so we can also eventually move Linder to RG when needed and be flexible with depth in case of injuries. And I'd be on board for doubling down on OL after the 3rd round as well. It all starts with Oline and QB play, the more quality OL we have the better.

This is one reason why I've zeroed in on Ford lately as there are analysts calling him a guard and other analysts calling him a future all-pro at RT. He also seems to have that mauling style in the run game which makes sense for the Jags.

Sounds like an ideal fit for what need as Richardson is really a complete unknown at this point. I will definitely check Ford out these days then.;-)

Ford's going top 20.

(01-12-2019, 11:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

this ^

I would be shocked if Ford makes it out of the first round. He is presently the most coveted OG in the draft and his ability to play RT makes him even more valuable. He could go as high as Washington, but teams like Minnesota and Tennessee could show interest as well.

I think Little is my top olineman in the draft. I think he has the highest upside. I doubt it but would love if he fell to our 2nd round pick.

(01-12-2019, 03:22 PM)Upper Wrote: Ford's going top 20.

Well, damn. 

Saw him at 31 on one board and 38 on another and I got hopeful.

(01-12-2019, 04:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 11:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: this ^

I would be shocked if Ford makes it out of the first round. He is presently the most coveted OG in the draft and his ability to play RT makes him even more valuable. He could go as high as Washington, but teams like Minnesota and Tennessee could show interest as well.

I think Houston is his absolute floor.

I don't see why we have to go OL. We just have to keep these guys healthy this year.

Let's look at each position...

LT - Cam Robinson is a darn good LT and I don't care to hear some nit-picky stat analysis. I know with my eyes he's good. Behind him, I'm thinking we re-sign Wells, who has developed quite nicely over the years into a guy that can play either OT spot in a clinch. We're set at LT imo.

LG - It's a shame that Norwell was injured so early, but remember he was the best interior OL in football when we signed him. He's actually a FA we didn't overpay for because he actually was the best. Usually, you overpay for a guy who is merely the best in FA, but nowhere near the best overall, which for instance would be the case for whoever pays up for Tyrod Taylor or Bridgewater. We're set at LG at least as far as the starting position.

C - Linder is easily one of the best Centers in this league, and Shatley has proven to be adequate depth at the spot. We're set at C.

RG - AJ Cann is a FA so he might be gone, but there's still a chance he's brought back with a modest contract. Cann was the one guy last year to remain healthy throughout, and his starting gig was never threatened. He gets a bad rap, but last year the OL was making up for near scrubs replacing those first three names I just mentioned. Cann wasn't as bad as the rap he gets as he's been slowly progressing and developing. He's not much of a powerhouse in the run game, but as a pass protector, he's not the guy we keep seeing getting beat. He's probably the best pass protector on the inside that we have after Norwell and Linder. We also got Omameh back, and I've always liked Omameh. He's not perfect, but he's good enough to contend for the starting role at RG even though he's a better LG. I'm not sure exactly why the Giants cut him midseason.

RT - Parnell still has something left in one of his tanks, but you can see he's starting to regress. I still like Parnell in the run game, but guys are starting to get past him in the passing game. It may be time to look for someone, however, I feel the answer lies in free agency... not the draft. I noticed there are a couple darn good starting RTs available in FA near the top of the overall FA list who would be able to take right over and improve the spot.  We also have our draft pick from last year still developing at RT.  Sorry for not naming names, but I'm being lazy. Remind me and I'll look up the names.

So maybe we can use a guy who can challenge for the start at RG and provide some depth at G, but if we miss out in the draft there are certainly FAs who can do as much. The key would be landing a good FA vet to replace Parnell, but even if we don't, Parnell still has a good year in him as a starter. We're not that desperate yet if guys would just stay healthy. Maybe we need a new conditioning guy to keep these players healthy. 
'02

(01-13-2019, 03:36 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I don't see why we have to go OL. We just have to keep these guys healthy this year.

Let's look at each position...

LT - Cam Robinson is a darn good LT and I don't care to hear some nit-picky stat analysis. I know with my eyes he's good. Behind him, I'm thinking we re-sign Wells, who has developed quite nicely over the years into a guy that can play either OT spot in a clinch. We're set at LT imo.

LG - It's a shame that Norwell was injured so early, but remember he was the best interior OL in football when we signed him. He's actually a FA we didn't overpay for because he actually was the best. Usually, you overpay for a guy who is merely the best in FA, but nowhere near the best overall, which for instance would be the case for whoever pays up for Tyrod Taylor or Bridgewater. We're set at LG at least as far as the starting position.

C - Linder is easily one of the best Centers in this league, and Shatley has proven to be adequate depth at the spot. We're set at C.

RG - AJ Cann is a FA so he might be gone, but there's still a chance he's brought back with a modest contract. Cann was the one guy last year to remain healthy throughout, and his starting gig was never threatened. He gets a bad rap, but last year the OL was making up for near scrubs replacing those first three names I just mentioned. Cann wasn't as bad as the rap he gets as he's been slowly progressing and developing. He's not much of a powerhouse in the run game, but as a pass protector, he's not the guy we keep seeing getting beat. He's probably the best pass protector on the inside that we have after Norwell and Linder. We also got Omameh back, and I've always liked Omameh. He's not perfect, but he's good enough to contend for the starting role at RG even though he's a better LG. I'm not sure exactly why the Giants cut him midseason.

RT - Parnell still has something left in one of his tanks, but you can see he's starting to regress. I still like Parnell in the run game, but guys are starting to get past him in the passing game. It may be time to look for someone, however, I feel the answer lies in free agency... not the draft. I noticed there are a couple darn good starting RTs available in FA near the top of the overall FA list who would be able to take right over and improve the spot.  We also have our draft pick from last year still developing at RT.  Sorry for not naming names, but I'm being lazy. Remind me and I'll look up the names.

So maybe we can use a guy who can challenge for the start at RG and provide some depth at G, but if we miss out in the draft there are certainly FAs who can do as much. The key would be landing a good FA vet to replace Parnell, but even if we don't, Parnell still has a good year in him as a starter. We're not that desperate yet if guys would just stay healthy. Maybe we need a new conditioning guy to keep these players healthy. 

LT - Cam - I don't have the issues w/ Cam that some do.  I think he'll be fine at LT
LG - We have to just hope Norwell bounces back and plays remotely up to his contract. 
C  -  Linder is fine
RG  - Total crapshoot.  Cann will likely get more money elsewhere and I think he struggles too much at times in both run and pass - I'd look to upgrade. 
RT  - Another total crapshoot. Parnell has been routinely burned by speed rushers the past two seasons and may be losing a step from age and piling up injury.  Richardson is a complete unknown. 

depth -  there is none -- cupboard is totally bare

I think (at the very least) you have to add a player that can compete at RT and move inside to RG if he doesn't win the spot. 
If the team thinks Richardson has the ability to play RG effectively then maybe that one ^ pick is the only early pick you take in the draft for the line. But I think you need to draft another player in the 5th/6th at least to stock depth.  
If they are smart they'll get Shatley and Wells re-signed affordably.  Those guys may be looking for a payday after putting some good work on tape this season though.

It's possible to address some OL in free agency (Daryl Williams, Roger Saffold, and a couple others)
but we definitely need young bodies. RT or RG should be addressed in one of the first 3 rounds.

Round 2 (assuming we keep that pick) certainly looks like a good place to get a solid OL piece.

QB
OL
TE
WR/RB (I think people are placing too high of a priority on WR and RB, personally we gotta let our WRs develop, rookie wide outs don't often make an impact and the RB position won't matter if the OL is trash)

Also.... regarding RB, LF is likely to stay. I don't see why our RB room can't be LF, Hyde, and Rawls (and Grant or draft a late round speed guy, maybe Treyveon from A&M)