Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars hire George Warhop as Oline coach

Jaguars hire Tampa Bay's Oline coach George Warhop, a guy who's been consistently one of the worst Oline coaches in football. 

What a god awful hire at a key position group. Got rid of one of the best guys at molding good offensive lines too..

Only interesting part is he worked with Todd Monken this year so perhaps it will foreshadow his hiring?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2019, 04:16 PM by Jags.)

Is it normal to fill positional roles before OC?  As in, would the OC have input on the hire or strictly a coaches decision?

(01-13-2019, 04:13 PM)Jags Wrote: Is it normal to fill positional roles before OC?  As in, would the OC have input on the hire or strictly a coaches decision?

You'd think there would be some communication about that at the least.

Maybe this is an indication they are close to a deal w/ Monken. 
Fingers crossed.

(01-13-2019, 04:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 04:13 PM)Jags Wrote: Is it normal to fill positional roles before OC?  As in, would the OC have input on the hire or strictly a coaches decision?

You'd think there would be some communication about that at the least.

Maybe this is an indication they are close to a deal w/ Monken. 
Fingers crossed.

Yeah if Monken is the reason he's here is. Otherwise, I have some serious questions about jaguars process

Well, here’s to hoping an announcement/tweets come out about Monken as well. If so, I imagine that would be within a day or so.

Stopgap head coach equals stopgap coordinators
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Yeah, these hires alone look disastrous. I've yet to see anyone say anything but negative about Warhop.

The only silver lining is that it might sway Monken. Otherwise, it just shows how bad things can get for a FO on the hot seat when they're competing with 8 or more more secure jobs.

https://youtu.be/v4jGSvxCRp4
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(01-13-2019, 04:06 PM)JackCity Wrote: Jaguars hire Tampa Bay's Oline coach George Warhop, a guy who's been consistently one of the worst Oline coaches in football. 

What a god awful hire at a key position group. Got rid of one of the best guys at molding good offensive lines too..

Only interesting part is he worked with Todd Monken this year so perhaps it will foreshadow his hiring?

I'll admit I don't know much about him, but doing a little reading up he certainly doesn't sounds like one of the worst OL coaches in football. He sounds like he's had some successes although last year they certainly stank. It is odd that they'd make the hire before getting a OC officially on board.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-13-2019, 05:09 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 04:06 PM)JackCity Wrote: Jaguars hire Tampa Bay's Oline coach George Warhop, a guy who's been consistently one of the worst Oline coaches in football. 

I'll admit I don't know much about him, but doing a little reading up he certainly doesn't sounds like one of the worst OL coaches in football. He sounds like he's had some successes although last year they certainly stank. It is odd that they'd make the hire before getting a OC officially on board.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/who-...ne-coaches

(01-13-2019, 05:32 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 05:09 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I'll admit I don't know much about him, but doing a little reading up he certainly doesn't sounds like one of the worst OL coaches in football. He sounds like he's had some successes although last year they certainly stank. It is odd that they'd make the hire before getting a OC officially on board.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/who-...ne-coaches

That's one guy's opinion based on some ad-hoc formula he made up. Certainly it's worth looking at but the opinions of coaching peers and the development of the players he's had at his disposal should mean more. For instance, the formula doesn't take into account the quality of the rosters he's with in his career (i.e. spending time with Cleveland). Also, the formula this guy was using throws out everything before 2004.

He's had some highlights too. In Tampa in 2015, they had the 5th best running game in the league and where 4th for fewest sacks allowed with a pretty inexperienced group (two rookie starters).  In his second year in San Fran, he took them from near the bottom of the league in rushing to 6th and middle of the pack for sacks allowed.  

I'm not saying he's a great OL coach necessarily but he doesn't sound like the worst coach given some of the roster's he's had to work with in his career.

(01-13-2019, 06:25 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 05:32 PM)JackCity Wrote: http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/who-...ne-coaches

That's one guy's opinion based on some ad-hoc formula he made up. Certainly it's worth looking at but the opinions of coaching peers and the development of the players he's had at his disposal should mean more. For instance, the formula doesn't take into account the quality of the rosters he's with in his career (i.e. spending time with Cleveland). Also, the formula this guy was using throws out everything before 2004.

He's had some highlights too. In Tampa in 2015, they had the 5th best running game in the league and where 4th for fewest sacks allowed with a pretty inexperienced group (two rookie starters).  In his second year in San Fran, he took them from near the bottom of the league in rushing to 6th and middle of the pack for sacks allowed.  

I'm not saying he's a great OL coach necessarily but he doesn't sound like the worst coach given some of the roster's he's had to work with in his career.

He's had bad lines in the vast majority of his seasons as Oline coach in the NFL. That's indisputable. The guys formula or Doug Marrones opinion don't matter to me as much as that fact. Conversly, the guy they fired has mostly done a very good job with his Olines despite limited talent (see jaguars 2017).   

I wouldn't care as much if they fired an awful coach and took a punt on this guy instead. 

Well let's put it this way. Can you name 5 current OL coaches not named Tom Cable with worse track records than him?

(01-13-2019, 06:45 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 06:25 PM)hb1148 Wrote: That's one guy's opinion based on some ad-hoc formula he made up. Certainly it's worth looking at but the opinions of coaching peers and the development of the players he's had at his disposal should mean more. For instance, the formula doesn't take into account the quality of the rosters he's with in his career (i.e. spending time with Cleveland). Also, the formula this guy was using throws out everything before 2004.

He's had bad lines in the vast majority of his seasons as Oline coach in the NFL. That's indisputable. The guys formula or Doug Marrones opinion don't matter to me as much as that fact. Conversly, the guy they fired has mostly done a very good job with his Olines despite limited talent (see jaguars 2017).   

I wouldn't care as much if they fired an awful coach and took a punt on this guy instead. 

Well let's put it this way. Can you name 5 current OL coaches not named Tom Cable with worse track records than him?

If you go strictly by OL performance, Flaherty would be on that list. He did do as good as job in 2017 as Warhop did in 2015 with Tampa. But Flaherty also did as bad if not worse job in 2018 than Warhop.

(01-13-2019, 08:03 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 06:45 PM)JackCity Wrote: He's had bad lines in the vast majority of his seasons as Oline coach in the NFL. That's indisputable. The guys formula or Doug Marrones opinion don't matter to me as much as that fact. Conversly, the guy they fired has mostly done a very good job with his Olines despite limited talent (see jaguars 2017).   

If you go strictly by OL performance, Flaherty would be on that list. He did do as good as job in 2017 as Warhop did in 2015 with Tampa. But Flaherty also did as bad if not worse job in 2018 than Warhop.

Wait, you think Flaherty is a bottom 5 Oline coach based on last year? 

You can apply context to Warhop and still see his lines were bad the vast majority of the time.

And the Jags don't even get Monken. What a disaster.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1084616798975205376

(01-13-2019, 09:04 PM)Upper Wrote: And the Jags don't even get Monken. What a disaster.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1084616798975205376

Why would any potential OC want to commit career suicide with leadership that still believes it's 1975.

Oh I know I've said that many times. Was told it was just pure opinion and assumptions too. Cause fandom bias > logic to some people.

(01-13-2019, 09:17 PM)Upper Wrote: Oh I know I've said that many times. Was told it was just pure opinion and assumptions too. Cause fandom bias > logic to some people.

If someone told you 4 years ago that coaching candidates would be ditching the Jaguars for Cleveland, we would have called that insane, right?