Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Interview John DeFilippo for OC

(01-14-2019, 12:41 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 12:18 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The Teal Deal Books are enough to keep me excited.

So, we're 1 player away again?  Isn't that what lead to us trading up in 2008 and drafting Derrick Harvey?  Also, I know we drafted a punter in 2012 (early round 3 - pick #70) because all of the other pieces were in place.

I think I should have enclosed my sarcastic emoji..

Nah ... I definitely got it but couldn't resist digging back into the recent archives of also being ever so close.  This season was all about placement (high draft pick and setting up he 2019 schedule to play the Bengals and Jets instead of the 1st place teams again) --- this Front Office is thinking ahead and all along, they were looking to 2019 but had to throw in a playoff run in 2017 just to keep the fans excited (prior to the commencement of our dynasty)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

more news

=

more complaints.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(01-14-2019, 11:53 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 11:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Not understanding the hate against this interview-NOT hire, mind you- but interview.

Most of the people clamoring for coaching changes have insisted upon a coach that will pass the ball.

He was just fired in Minnesota for not running the ball enough.

What exactly do you want from a coordinator?

You don't shop for a Yugo before you buy a BWM..

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't his offense in the conference championship game just last year?

Didn't he have the 10th ranked scoring offense and 11th ranked passing offense just last year?

A Yugo?  I think not.

Same goes for Darrell Bevell.

Seattle DID manage to get to back to back Super Bowls with his offenses.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

What's a BWM?

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 02:11 PM by Jags.)

(01-14-2019, 02:07 PM)scottyg Wrote: What's a BWM?

It’s the car version of Rebook shoes.

(01-14-2019, 02:11 PM)Jags Wrote:

Cool.  Thanks for clarifying.  I thought it was something gross.

(01-14-2019, 11:15 AM)Shelley Thompson Wrote: You do realize the affect Foles’ signing would have on ticket sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short term, or long term?

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 04:06 PM by Mikey.)

(01-14-2019, 02:11 PM)Jags Wrote:

First thing I thought of was the Simpsons episode, where Homer is shopping for a TV and stated that he knew a Sorny or Magnetbox when he saw one.

(01-14-2019, 02:18 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 02:11 PM)Jags Wrote: It’s the car version of Rebook shoes.

Cool.  Thanks for clarifying.  I thought it was something gross.

Oh gad, all I can think of is Jameis' "Eat a W", but the other way around now. I blame you for this mental image.

(01-14-2019, 02:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't his offense in the conference championship game just last year?

Didn't he have the 10th ranked scoring offense and 11th ranked passing offense just last year?

A Yugo?  I think not.

DeFilippo was actually the QB Coach for the Eagles in the NFC Conference Championship Game last year.

If my calculation is correct, the Vikings were the 19th leading scoring offense in 2018

Stating Bevell got Seattle to b2b SBs with his offense is like saying Trent Dilfer managed to get the Ravens to their 1st SB victory.  They can both be argued in favor but both teams were lead by their top ranked defenses that were primarily responsible for their success.

This team makes me so damn mad i can't even type right..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 05:04 PM by Bullseye.)

(01-14-2019, 04:34 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 02:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't his offense in the conference championship game just last year?

A Yugo?  I think not.

DeFilippo was actually the QB Coach for the Eagles in the NFC Conference Championship Game last year.

If my calculation is correct, the Vikings were the 19th leading scoring offense in 2018

Stating Bevell got Seattle to b2b SBs with his offense is like saying Trent Dilfer managed to get the Ravens to their 1st SB victory.  They can both be argued in favor but both teams were lead by their top ranked defenses that were primarily responsible for their success.
I do not argue that Seattle  was primarily a defensive team.  Clearly defense was the strength of their tezm.

What I do maintain  is Bevell's offense was good enough to help get them over the top.

There have been many defensive teams over the years (Mora era Saints, Ryan era Eagles, Dungy era Bucs, 2006 Jaguars) whose offenses were not good enough to do the same for their teams.

I was referring to the 2017 season when I referred to "last year."

(01-14-2019, 05:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: What I do maintain  is Bevell's offense was good enough to help get them over the top.

There have been many defensive teams over the years (Mora era Saints, Ryan era Eagles, Dungy era Bucs, 2006 Jaguars) whose offenses were not good enough to do the same for their teams.

I'd personally call that the Russell Wilson offense. An bonafide franchise QB is the difference between your other examples IMO. Makes a large difference.

(01-14-2019, 05:06 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 05:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote: What I do maintain  is Bevell's offense was good enough to help get them over the top.

I'd personally call that the Russell Wilson offense. An bonafide franchise QB is the difference between your other examples IMO. Makes a large difference.

Perhaps, but you still have to be coach enough to get enough out of your franchise QB to get there.  Bevell did.

(01-14-2019, 05:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 05:06 PM)Upper Wrote: I'd personally call that the Russell Wilson offense. An bonafide franchise QB is the difference between your other examples IMO. Makes a large difference.

Perhaps, but you still have to be coach enough to get enough out of your franchise QB to get there.  Bevell did.
Under Bevell - Wilson was 11-5 as a rookie and won the SB in his second year. 
If we're not giving the OC a little credit here, we're kidding ourselves.

Didn't know where to post this but thought it made the most sense here

https://twitter.com/PhilAPerry/status/10...6510315520

(01-14-2019, 05:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 05:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Perhaps, but you still have to be coach enough to get enough out of your franchise QB to get there.  Bevell did.

Until Mayfield, Wilson held like every NCAA passing efficiency record. He was pretty darn ready and developed from the get go IMO. I'm not saying Bevell didn't help at all, but I'd say it's like 80% Wilson 20% Bevell that should get the credit, at best.

(01-14-2019, 11:15 AM)Shelley Thompson Wrote: You do realize the affect Foles’ signing would have on ticket sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be as magical as signing Tebow would have been?

(01-14-2019, 11:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Not understanding the hate against this interview-NOT hire, mind you- but interview.

Most of the people clamoring for coaching changes have insisted upon a coach that will pass the ball.

He was just fired in Minnesota for not running the ball enough.

What exactly do you want from a coordinator?

Right now we don't have a QB or a complete OL.  We've got one decent receiver, no TEs, and a rushing game that is sputtering and dysfunctional.  At the end of the day,the talent on the field matters more than the OC. You could have the finest offensive mind in the history of the league, and they couldn't polish that turd enough to be respectable. 

The OC matters once we have players filling roles.  Unfortunately every name is going to be mildly underwhelming until we have players in key spots. 

BoWel Movement. Pretty accurate for this team right now.  
(01-14-2019, 05:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 05:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Perhaps, but you still have to be coach enough to get enough out of your franchise QB to get there.  Bevell did.

Jimmy's and Joes philosophy.  A coordinator is only as good as the talent he has to work with in my opinion.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

With Monken and Kubiak gone, I guess this is my top choice now. Whoopity doo!

(01-14-2019, 09:10 PM)FBT Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 05:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Under Bevell - Wilson was 11-5 as a rookie and won the SB in his second year. 

Jimmy's and Joes philosophy.  A coordinator is only as good as the talent he has to work with in my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly. 
The post was worded to reflect that. 
Of course there are guys out there who are better than others at disguising their sub-par talent with smoke and mirrors.

I'm much more interested in who we place at QB than OC, but seeing an OC that's had success with a rookie QB is encouraging to me. Because I think we'll be starting a rookie after the bye week if not sooner.

(01-15-2019, 10:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 09:10 PM)FBT Wrote: Jimmy's and Joes philosophy.  A coordinator is only as good as the talent he has to work with in my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly. 
The post was worded to reflect that. 
Of course there are guys out there who are better than others at disguising their sub-par talent with smoke and mirrors.

I'm much more interested in who we place at QB than OC, but seeing an OC that's had success with a rookie QB is encouraging to me. Because I think we'll be starting a rookie after the bye week if not sooner.

I believe Haskins will start the year if we draft him.