Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kubiak Interview Scheduled (merged)

I just hope they aren't rolling with borltes again and that is why OC's are running.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Kubiak Hired by Minn via Adam Schefter. He gone!!

[b]Adam SchefterVerified account [/b]@AdamSchefter
FollowFollow @AdamSchefter
Minnesota Vikings officially have named Gary Kubiak assistant head coach/offensive advisor, Brian Pariani tight ends coach and Klint Kubiak quarterbacks coach.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(01-14-2019, 09:21 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I just hope they aren't rolling with borltes again and that is why OC's are running.

I hope we are, and if we are, going with Bortles suggests we're using our first round pick, one way or another, to draft a QB. The prospect of shaping a young franchise caliber QB out of the gate should be attractive to OCs because they could put their stamp on the rookie. 
'02

It's getting soooooooo hard to stay positive.

(01-14-2019, 01:46 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 01:36 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: I do not see why he would take the Jags offensive roster over the Vikings.

He wouldn't be OC for the Vikings - they just signed their interim OC to a permanent job.

It's speculated that Kubiack would work with Kirk Cousins. Or something.

(01-14-2019, 01:48 PM)Rico Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 01:36 PM)RealJagsFan Wrote: I do not see why he would take the Jags offensive roster over the Vikings.

I don't know.  Maybe something crazy like money?

I don't know if u guys have been following this team long but I love your youthful optimism. Our offensive roster may be the worst in the league. We have zero pro bowl caliber weapons. We cannot expect any legitimate candidate to pick this over almost any other team. At this point it's highly likely they're hiring staff for someone already here. No legit OC would want his staff chosen for them. Looks like front office will definitely have to make a splash at QB to sell any tickets this off season.

(01-15-2019, 06:57 AM)RealJagsFan Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 01:46 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: He wouldn't be OC for the Vikings - they just signed their interim OC to a permanent job.

(01-14-2019, 01:48 PM)Rico Wrote: I don't know.  Maybe something crazy like money?

I don't know if u guys have been following this team long but I love your youthful optimism. Our offensive roster may be the worst in the league. We have zero pro bowl caliber weapons. We cannot expect any legitimate candidate to pick this over almost any other team. At this point it's highly likely they're hiring staff for someone already here. No legit OC would want his staff chosen for them. Looks like front office will definitely have to make a splash at QB to sell any tickets this off season.

You mean the roster that was first in the running game in 2017 and 17th in passing with an average QB and number 6 overall? There's talent there. The injuries to the OL in 2018 were unprecedented and were bound to have an impact. Unless you believe the loss of Marcedes Lewis made *that* big of a difference.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-15-2019, 06:57 AM)RealJagsFan Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 01:46 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: He wouldn't be OC for the Vikings - they just signed their interim OC to a permanent job.

(01-14-2019, 01:48 PM)Rico Wrote: I don't know.  Maybe something crazy like money?

Honest question - because I don't know the answer.

Is the OC ever/always/sometimes involved in hiring of offensive position coaches? Does an OC care who coaches running backs or Oline? Does it matter?

Is the QB coach more important (to the OC) than the other coaches?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(01-15-2019, 01:44 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 06:57 AM)RealJagsFan Wrote: I don't know if u guys have been following this team long but I love your youthful optimism. Our offensive roster may be the worst in the league. We have zero pro bowl caliber weapons. We cannot expect any legitimate candidate to pick this over almost any other team. At this point it's highly likely they're hiring staff for someone already here. No legit OC would want his staff chosen for them. Looks like front office will definitely have to make a splash at QB to sell any tickets this off season.

Honest question - because I don't know the answer.

Is the OC ever/always/sometimes involved in hiring of offensive position coaches? Does an OC care who coaches running backs or Oline? Does it matter?

Its all situation dependent. Kubiak likes having Rick Dennison as OL coach with him because he has his own zone blocking scheme and Rick has a long history of teaching it for him as OC or Oline coach under him.  

Oline coach is probably the most important position coach now with how much the college guys need to be taught up and how big of a disadvantage the line is Vs defenses. QB coach is next.

(01-15-2019, 01:52 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 01:44 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: Honest question - because I don't know the answer.

Its all situation dependent. Kubiak likes having Rick Dennison as OL coach with him because he has his own zone blocking scheme and Rick has a long history of teaching it for him as OC or Oline coach under him.  

Oline coach is probably the most important position coach now with how much the college guys need to be taught up and how big of a disadvantage the line is Vs defenses. QB coach is next.

But does the OC care or have a say? - except in special circumstances in which a position coach may be a blood relative or has been with the HC or OC for twenty years.

In other words - are the comments (oh, the drama) about hiring position coaches before the OC hiring valid? Does anyone know what the norm is? I realize many on here will assume the Jaguars don't know what they are doing (but they're fans!) but I'm curious as to what is standard operating procedure.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(01-15-2019, 02:04 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 01:52 PM)JackCity Wrote: Its all situation dependent. Kubiak likes having Rick Dennison as OL coach with him because he has his own zone blocking scheme and Rick has a long history of teaching it for him as OC or Oline coach under him.  

But does the OC care or have a say? - except in special circumstances in which a position coach may be a blood relative or has been with the HC or OC for twenty years.

In other words - are the comments (oh, the drama) about hiring position coaches before the OC hiring valid? Does anyone know what the norm is? I realize many on here will assume the Jaguars don't know what they are doing (but they're fans!) but I'm curious as to what is standard operating procedure.

Well almost every coach would want the ability to hire their own guys. Some might not care as much as others but they all want that ability.   

So when you have a job like the Jags which is already undesirable, asking those cosches to work with whoever you installed as position coaches is a weird move.  

Also, presuming the Jaguars don't know what they're doing should be your default setting unless proven otherwise. History has proven you'll be right 95% of the time.

(01-15-2019, 02:14 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 02:04 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: But does the OC care or have a say? - except in special circumstances in which a position coach may be a blood relative or has been with the HC or OC for twenty years.

Well almost every coach would want the ability to hire their own guys. Some might not care as much as others but they all want that ability.   

So when you have a job like the Jags which is already undesirable, asking those cosches to work with whoever you installed as position coaches is a weird move.  

Also, presuming the Jaguars don't know what they're doing should be your default setting unless proven otherwise. History has proven you'll be right 95% of the time.

So that means that the Head Coach would want the ability to select and hire their position coaches, correct?  An Offensive Coordinator is NOT a coach.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(01-15-2019, 03:34 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 02:14 PM)JackCity Wrote: Well almost every coach would want the ability to hire their own guys. Some might not care as much as others but they all want that ability.   

So that means that the Head Coach would want the ability to select and hire their position coaches, correct?  An Offensive Coordinator is NOT a coach.

Yes every coach would prefer to hire their own guys.  

If you are a head coach who needs a good OC, it stands to reason that the OC would prefer to hire his own guys. Some would be fine without it , but generally every coach would like that ability (yes OCs/DCs are coaches too)

(01-12-2019, 10:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 10:37 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: What about ASJ? I feel like he’d be good for Kubiak to work with

I have a feeling he's cut.

Getting the vibe he's sort-of gone rogue again.   When he was hurt there was a bunch of weirdness and baby-mama-drama on his social media - and Marrone/Coughlin seem bent on putting an end to that stuff. Not sure if he was doing what was expected in his rehab. He was eligible to return late in the season - but they never activated him. 

If he can come back healthy and sane... sure, he'd be a good piece of the puzzle.

I apologize for posting this in the Kubiak thread but I felt the twitter quote wasn't enough to open a thread on his own so I came back here to the ASJ situation.

ASJ tweeted this after/during Doug's presser:  

https://twitter.com/Aesj88/status/1085646769214480384

I don't know if we can read that he's been told he'll be back this season or it's just him on his part being in a good mood while the team has other plans lol

(01-17-2019, 07:59 AM)Iirontrooper83 Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 10:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I have a feeling he's cut.

Getting the vibe he's sort-of gone rogue again.   When he was hurt there was a bunch of weirdness and baby-mama-drama on his social media - and Marrone/Coughlin seem bent on putting an end to that stuff. Not sure if he was doing what was expected in his rehab. He was eligible to return late in the season - but they never activated him. 

If he can come back healthy and sane... sure, he'd be a good piece of the puzzle.

I apologize for posting this in the Kubiak thread but I felt the twitter quote wasn't enough to open a thread on his own so I came back here to the ASJ situation.

ASJ tweeted this after/during Doug's presser:  

https://twitter.com/Aesj88/status/1085646769214480384

I don't know if we can read that he's been told he'll be back this season or it's just him on his part being in a good mood while the team has other plans lol

Yeah, hard to say, but I hope it’s a good sign he’s trying to get back on track. 

It’s possible I read too much into the tea leaves and he was doing everything asked of him treatment and rehab-wise. I just caught a bad vibe from Marrone when he answered that question about ASJ. 

Would be great to see ASJ and a third or fourth round draft pick TE out there in September.