Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
You're the GM, what FA do you sign?

Fitz and Saffold should be targeted. The draft is WR and TE heavy so leave them out of the free agent mix. There are also some decent OL prospects but whether they could start immediately would be the question. I would consider QB and RG to be a priority and we are limited in funds. One thing is for certain, this is not the draft to find a QB of the future.

Speaking of future...Drop Kessler and start pushing Tanner Lee for the backup position. He showed promise but as a third-stringer, we haven't heard of his progress/growth. And he can't be any worse than Kessler if thrust into a starting role.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If I'm planning on going pure run heavy I'll take Tyrod as QB and hope to just do enough on offense while not turning the ball over at all. Win the turnover battle, TOP and shut down the passing game and you have a good path to victory

Did anyone see Bridgewater in week 17 that Brees sat out he did not look good.

(01-15-2019, 03:32 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 07:36 PM)Caldrac Wrote: DEFENSE:
Landon Collins - SS
Adrian Amos - FS
Jordan Hicks - ILB
Grady Jarrett- DT
David Irving - DT
Danny Shelton - DT
Anthony Barr - OLB

OFFENSE:
Rodger Saffold - OG
Tevin Coleman - RB
Cole Beasley - WR
Randall Cobb - WR
Tyrell Williams - WR
Jordan Matthews - WR
Maxx Williams - TE
Tyler Eifert - TE
Trent Brown - OT

Of these players, how many do you like Jags could sign? 2? Collins is going to cost a lot.

(01-14-2019, 09:28 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'd sign nobody given the current cap situation.

But moves will be made to chip the salaries down, at least a little.

Realistically or ideally I would be happy with Collins and Hicks on defense. And offensively I think they could land Saffold, Brown, Max Williams & Beasley on decent contracts. 

If they can't afford Collins nor Hicks on defense I would be fine with them going after four to five of those guys offensively instead. Eifert is interesting too though. He's a great athlete but just can't seem to stay healthy. If they could pick him up on a one year deal with incentives based on his overall ability to stay healthy and they use him in a few spots here and there to keep him healthy. He could be a steal.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

LAMBO LINDER GRANT AND MICKENS

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 05:03 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

QB Targets (as a possible bridge)

Ryan Fitzpatrick
Trevor Siemian
Kevin Hogan (RFA)
Nate Sudfeld (RFA)

WR

Tyrell Williams

TE

Jesse James

OT

Greg Robinson

OG

Roger Saffold
Ramon Foster

C

Mitch Morse

NT

Steve McLendon

(01-15-2019, 04:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 03:32 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Of these players, how many do you like Jags could sign? 2? Collins is going to cost a lot.

But moves will be made to chip the salaries down, at least a little.

Realistically or ideally I would be happy with Collins and Hicks on defense. And offensively I think they could land Saffold, Brown, Max Williams & Beasley on decent contracts. 

If they can't afford Collins nor Hicks on defense I would be fine with them going after four to five of those guys offensively instead. Eifert is interesting too though. He's a great athlete but just can't seem to stay healthy. If they could pick him up on a one year deal with incentives based on his overall ability to stay healthy and they use him in a few spots here and there to keep him healthy. He could be a steal.

Collins, Hicks, Saffold, Brown will all cost a bomb.

(01-15-2019, 05:06 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 04:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Realistically or ideally I would be happy with Collins and Hicks on defense. And offensively I think they could land Saffold, Brown, Max Williams & Beasley on decent contracts. 

Collins, Hicks, Saffold, Brown will all cost a bomb.

I know. That's why I think realistically or ideally we would be lucky to land Collins and/or Hicks. They'll have to address a lot of needs on offense. At this point I would rather skip on Collins and Hicks. And then focus heavily on fixing some of the offensive line. In particular the right side of it. 

And then I am assuming they'll target skill position players for a fair price. Similar to how they went after Moncrief. With Lee returning I think they might want to look at another WR like Beasley to help out from the Slot position. Cole needs some competition this summer. Lee and Westbrook can't do it all. I think Chark will improve. So having a good veteran like Beasley could go a long way this summer at the minimum. 

If they could land Saffold, Brown and Beasley that would be cool. They may give them a little bit more flexibility to focus more on BAP Vs. Need during the first three rounds. The QB situation is just.... I don't know anymore. LOL. It's a [BLEEP] mess man. It's honestly a huge concern for everybody I am sure. But how they'll go about addressing it is anybody's guess.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-14-2019, 05:40 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: A lot will come down to how many players the Jags cut to create cap room, as I don't see many Jag FAs that they will re-sign (there was already a thread on it and it looks like the only FAs Jax will bring back are low level, special team types). 

Most here feel Jackson is gone, and most Jag fans feel Blake will be cut too. Here are the top FAs to consider. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2814...y-position

So they obvious big decision is at QB. They will probably sign a "bridge" vet and draft one. I don't see many FA names likely to become a long-term starter. 

1. 1. Teddy Bridgewater 2. Tyrod Taylor 3. Robert Griffin III 4. Ryan Fitzpatrick 5. Geno Smith
I've never been high on Teddy; he's too wispy to last in the NFL. If he does start for many games, he will get hurt. And his history shows that. 

Taylor is limited but not flat horrible. RG3...don't trust his durability either. Fitz is too close to retiring and can get stone cold. Geno sucks.

RBs to consider

No one, really.

WR

No one on this list, probably, not even your own, Moncrief. Way overpaid his entire career.

TE - a real area of need

Cook would be nice but probably too pricey.

OL - probably will sign one mid-tier guy and draft another.

Defense - at a later time

QB - Fitzpatrick, but if he's gonna cost more than the cap savings we get from moving on from Bortles I'll pass.
RB - None, keep Fournette, draft a rookie in the late rounds behind him, no need to throw money at yet another RB that will underwhelm.
WR - Golden Tate, Jalen Ramsey is married to his sister so I think that family may be a factor in getting him to come play in Teal. Tate won a SB with the seahawks so "SB contender" may not be the #1 thing in terms of importance to him when deciding team fit. That said he's 31 and I wouldn't spend top dollar on him, but hey we payed 10 million for [BLEEP] moncrief so it'd be nice to actually get production for spending that kind of cash.
TE - Marcedes Lewis - on a 1 year deal, they shouldve never let him leave tbh. We missed his blocking and veteran leadership last year. TE needs an overhaul and Marcedes won't break the bank and there's really no one else out there we won't overpay for (Eifert, Cook etc.)
Oline - No one i really covet, granted I don't know enough about other teams linemen to make an informed decision here

Defense - No One... our defense is fine no need to overpay for guys who likely wont start for us here. although if Earl Thomas doesn't want a lot of $$ i'd move on from Gipson.

Realistically any cap space we create by shedding some of our bigger and unfriendly contracts should really be used to resign our own core guys like Yannick, Ramsey and Myles Jack. If we enter the free agency pool for anything more than bargain bin type value signings ... this team is in the wrong hands and heading towards a cliff frankly. We need to be VERY careful we don't handicap ourselves out of resigning our homegrown talent.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(01-15-2019, 07:02 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 05:06 PM)JackCity Wrote: Collins, Hicks, Saffold, Brown will all cost a bomb.

I know. That's why I think realistically or ideally we would be lucky to land Collins and/or Hicks. They'll have to address a lot of needs on offense. At this point I would rather skip on Collins and Hicks. And then focus heavily on fixing some of the offensive line. In particular the right side of it. 

And then I am assuming they'll target skill position players for a fair price. Similar to how they went after Moncrief. With Lee returning I think they might want to look at another WR like Beasley to help out from the Slot position. Cole needs some competition this summer. Lee and Westbrook can't do it all. I think Chark will improve. So having a good veteran like Beasley could go a long way this summer at the minimum. 

If they could land Saffold, Brown and Beasley that would be cool. They may give them a little bit more flexibility to focus more on BAP Vs. Need during the first three rounds. The QB situation is just.... I don't know anymore. LOL. It's a [BLEEP] mess man. It's honestly a huge concern for everybody I am sure. But how they'll go about addressing it is anybody's guess.

Saffold, Brown and Beasley would cost the bones of like 30 million

(01-14-2019, 05:40 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: A lot will come down to how many players the Jags cut to create cap room, as I don't see many Jag FAs that they will re-sign (there was already a thread on it and it looks like the only FAs Jax will bring back are low level, special team types). 

Most here feel Jackson is gone, and most Jag fans feel Blake will be cut too. Here are the top FAs to consider. 

So they obvious big decision is at QB. They will probably sign a "bridge" vet and draft one. I don't see many FA names likely to become a long-term starter. 

1. 1. Teddy Bridgewater 2. Tyrod Taylor 3. Robert Griffin III 4. Ryan Fitzpatrick 5. Geno Smith
I've never been high on Teddy; he's too wispy to last in the NFL. If he does start for many games, he will get hurt. And his history shows that. 

Taylor is limited but not flat horrible. RG3...don't trust his durability either. Fitz is too close to retiring and can get stone cold. Geno sucks.

RBs to consider

No one, really.

WR

No one on this list, probably, not even your own, Moncrief. Way overpaid his entire career.

TE - a real area of need

You're more than welcome to take Geno off our hands. Geno's time as a Charger backup QB has been characterized by his inability to master the simple skill of holding on to a football. 

P.S. Upon further review, it has come to my attention that Geno's entire career has been characterized by his inability to master the simple skill of holding on to a football.

1. Line
2. Line
3. Line

Bring in Fitz as a QB. Draft Haskins/Grier in the first (if Haskins in gone, attempt to trade back in the first to recoup some picks). Draft some receivers in the 2nd/3rd rounds. Sign Jesse James as TE

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

I'd like a veteran WR or TE to come in, in addition to a G. I'd continue to draft Defensive depth in later rounds.

Im in the draft Haskins camp.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2019, 03:32 PM by JagsorDie.)

I recently posted that I would release Darius, Parnell, and bortles(after june because our dead cap would be lower) because other the bortles the other two do not appear to have a dead cap hit. NYC posted something about Darius having a big dead cap hit but everything I have looked at is saying otherwise. Everything I am reading is saying that he and parnelle carry no deadcap money,

was wondering if someone could verify that this is not the case because those three would free up something like 30 mil in cap room.

And this is without releasing Jackson.

If this is the case we would be a decent position this ason to sign some of our FA's back and still go for a Qb in fa

I think the Jags should sign Chad Kelly. Smile    In all honesty, I did watch him in the preseason, and what little bit I seen was pretty impressive.

He looked better in Denver preseason games than Case Keenum did ... before he went all weirdo (again). Yep, Perfect Fit.

(01-14-2019, 08:26 PM)TJBender Wrote: Sean Lee, prove-it deal. We need a Poz in the middle, and he's a Poz if he's healthy.

Completely agree.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(01-28-2019, 03:12 PM)MojoKing Wrote: I'd like a veteran WR or TE to come in,  in addition to a G. I'd continue to draft Defensive depth in later rounds.

Im in the draft Haskins camp.

It's looking like NYG might take Haskins just before your pick. But who knows. I don't think he's a sure-fire NFL QB - he seems like he lacks some instincts if you ask me.

(01-27-2019, 11:44 PM)jachba Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 05:40 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: A lot will come down to how many players the Jags cut to create cap room, as I don't see many Jag FAs that they will re-sign (there was already a thread on it and it looks like the only FAs Jax will bring back are low level, special team types). 

RBs to consider

No one, really.

WR

TE - a real area of need

You're more than welcome to take Geno off our hands. Geno's time as a Charger backup QB has been characterized by his inability to master the simple skill of holding on to a football. 

P.S. Upon further review, it has come to my attention that Geno's entire career has been characterized by his inability to master the simple skill of holding on to a football.

Geno never had "it" and never will. There is so much more to being an NFL QB than physical traits.

(01-14-2019, 09:13 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 09:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They won't be. 

I'd only expect second and third tier depth players that can be cut for little cost in August. 

OL, TE and bridge QB are probably the only places where maybe they'll spend more than 4 or 5 mil per year on a guy and that may be pushing it.

I'm kind of hoping we don't waste any money on a QB. Just let Blake be our bridge guy and draft a franchise guy.

Agree.  Think BB5 will be opening day QB.  Only in transitional role.

QB - Fitz
RB- Mark Ingram
WR- Golden Tate
OL- Omameh, Shatley, Wells
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!