Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars interview Mike McCoy for OC

(01-15-2019, 02:14 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Am I the only one that thinks firing Hackett was a mistake? Thought it was the day they did it and even more now. He called some impressive games over his time on this team with a very flawed offensive roster. It fell apart last year with injuries and Bortles losing his head, no one would have been successful. Offense regressed even more when he left.
(01-15-2019, 02:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 02:14 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Am I the only one that thinks firing Hackett was a mistake? Thought it was the day they did it and even more now. He called some impressive games over his time on this team with a very flawed offensive roster. It fell apart last year with injuries and Bortles losing his head, no one would have been successful. Offense regressed even more when he left.
I've always thought Hackett was hamstrung by Blake.
(01-15-2019, 02:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I was a Hackett fan until about midseason of this year when it became clear he was not maximizing the potential of the ground game.  He practically refused to run out of multiple personnel groupings. 

He scrapped the one page of the playbook that spread the defense out and gave LF and company more room to run after Grant went down. I think he should have just plugged in Yeldon to Grant's role and continued to run that group of plays as it was the only part of the offense that kept defensive coordinators guessing. 

I defended him up until it was clear he had just scrapped something good and chose to instead telegraph run plays via the personnel groupings against loaded boxes.
He was fine if you look at only 1 week. His main problem is he didn't utilize what worked. He finds something that works, uses it for a game or 2 and then removes it for weeks. Then when injuries happened he goes away from what the players do best and tries to throw it all the time. He just seems like he is trying to outsmart the other team instead of out playing them with the team's strengths.

He had to go because of his own issues, the injuries made it obvious though. A better QB would have hidden it though and he may have stuck around.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019, 09:34 AM by MoJagFan.)

We have a confluence of problems right now.  
We don't have a QB.
We have an authoritarian VP of Football Operations (with a reputation).
We have an upcoming potential work stoppage.
We are tight against the cap.
And most of all we have a potential lame duck coaching staff and general manager.

The only thing we have going is an owner that is committed to continuity and that is something but not many positives.  Warning signs were everywhere last off season.  I really, really hoped that we were starting an overall upward direction and not a lucky one year run.

EDIT:

And why is it every time we hit the top of our defensive success the offense spirals down and we start losing.  1999 was the end of the expansion era and 2007 ended the Del Rio stint.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-16-2019, 09:30 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: We have a confluence of problems right now.  
We don't have a QB.
We have an authoritarian VP of Football Operations (with a reputation).
We have an upcoming potential work stoppage.
We are tight against the cap.
And most of all we have a potential lame duck coaching staff and general manager.

The only thing we have going is an owner that is committed to continuity and that is something but not many positives.  Warning signs were everywhere last off season.  I really, really hoped that we were starting an overall upward direction and not a lucky one year run.

EDIT:

And why is it every time we hit the top of our defensive success the offense spirals down and we start losing.  1999 was the end of the expansion era and 2007 ended the Del Rio stint.

Work stoppage?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

God as my witness, if we hire Mike McCoy as our OC, our team will struggle to win 4 games next year.

Definitely would not be interested in renewing my season tickets with him on our staff. All the Fournette haters out there.. this guy made Melvin Gordon and David Johnson look like waiver trash in his offenses.

(01-16-2019, 02:00 PM)Inziladun Wrote: God as my witness, if we hire Mike McCoy as our OC, our team will struggle to win 4 games next year.

Definitely would not be interested in renewing my season tickets with him on our staff. All the Fournette haters out there.. this guy made Melvin Gordon and David Johnson look like waiver trash in his offenses.

I'll probably make a wager that he won't be....just a hunch...

(01-16-2019, 02:01 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 02:00 PM)Inziladun Wrote: God as my witness, if we hire Mike McCoy as our OC, our team will struggle to win 4 games next year.

I want in on this too!

(01-16-2019, 02:01 PM)JackCity Wrote:

Yeah was late to see the news, thank god. That was a very scary prospect to interview.

(01-16-2019, 02:05 PM)Inziladun Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 02:01 PM)JackCity Wrote: I'll probably make a wager that he won't be....just a hunch...

Yeah was late to see the news, thank god. That was a very scary prospect to interview.

Would have been a nightmare

(01-15-2019, 07:23 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: No, no, a billion times no.

The guy doesn't know how to run an O in the NFL, let alone building this new Madden-esqu, high scoring O's that looks the future.

I know a Chargers fan from when he was in San Diego and he would curse his name. He was happier the day they fired him than when they won games. Did anyone watch the Cardinals last season? 

Hell we may as well bring Hackett back at this rate. I'm getting worried by some of the names now.

A lot of Charger fans were happy when they fired him, including yours truly.