Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags hire DeFilippo as OC

(01-16-2019, 04:28 PM)#1calijagfan Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 03:53 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Question. In this scenario of drafting Haskins, do you think Foles would be okay being a placeholder, until our future QB emerges? That's essentially what he is in Philadelphia right now.

I wonder if he feels if he's earned the right to be a franchise quarterback. I think he has. Super Bowl MVP.

I would say it depends on how TC and DC feel about the QB's coming out this year. it's been pretty much a general consensus that it's a weak QB crop in this draft.

So my thinking is why not go get Foles and sign him to a 4 year deal with a possible 5th year option and wait another year or two to see what the 2020 or 2021 draft class has to offer as far as QB's go?

I would rather take a chance on Foles who has shown he can win in this league and win NOW rather than roll the dice on weak prospect in the draft and set the team back another 5-6 years.

I kind of suspect that this is the way that they go.  In my opinion, it's a better option rather than rolling the dice on some college QB, especially in a weak draft class.  Nick Foles would be my first choice with possibly Ryan Fitzpatrick as a second choice (I wince as I type this) and Joe Flacco as a third choice.  If anyone thinks that the top QB in the draft is the way to go... well, prepare for more losing seasons.  While yes, some rookie QB's come in and make an immediate impact for their teams, I just don't see it this next season.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Useless hire since the HC who inspires no one is still there.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(01-16-2019, 07:20 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Useless hire since the HC who inspires no one is still there.

Hello Brooklyn

(01-16-2019, 05:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:28 PM)#1calijagfan Wrote: I would say it depends on how TC and DC feel about the QB's coming out this year. it's been pretty much a general consensus that it's a weak QB crop in this draft.

So my thinking is why not go get Foles and sign him to a 4 year deal with a possible 5th year option and wait another year or two to see what the 2020 or 2021 draft class has to offer as far as QB's go?

I would rather take a chance on Foles who has shown he can win in this league and win NOW rather than roll the dice on weak prospect in the draft and set the team back another 5-6 years.

I kind of suspect that this is the way that they go.  In my opinion, it's a better option rather than rolling the dice on some college QB, especially in a weak draft class.  Nick Foles would be my first choice with possibly Ryan Fitzpatrick as a second choice (I wince as I type this) and Joe Flacco as a third choice.  If anyone thinks that the top QB in the draft is the way to go... well, prepare for more losing seasons.  While yes, some rookie QB's come in and make an immediate impact for their teams, I just don't see it this next season.

I'd still like to draft a QB in the second or third round. You're right, investing a first round pick in a QB commits the franchise to that QB.  But why not take a lower risk prospect who might pan out? If nothing else, he could replace Kessler at backup.

(01-16-2019, 05:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:28 PM)#1calijagfan Wrote: I would say it depends on how TC and DC feel about the QB's coming out this year. it's been pretty much a general consensus that it's a weak QB crop in this draft.

So because the rookie may not help right away, we shouldn’t draft them?

Drafting Haskins would be for the future and I’m not so sure he would fail if he started day 1. The overall class may not be strong but there is one QB who is.... Haskins.

(01-16-2019, 08:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 05:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I kind of suspect that this is the way that they go.  In my opinion, it's a better option rather than rolling the dice on some college QB, especially in a weak draft class.  Nick Foles would be my first choice with possibly Ryan Fitzpatrick as a second choice (I wince as I type this) and Joe Flacco as a third choice.  If anyone thinks that the top QB in the draft is the way to go... well, prepare for more losing seasons.  While yes, some rookie QB's come in and make an immediate impact for their teams, I just don't see it this next season.

Drafting Haskins would be for the future and I’m not so sure he would fail if he started day 1. The overall class may not be strong but there is one QB who is.... Haskins.

Haskins may or may not have a great NFL career.  But does the FO have the time to find out?

(01-16-2019, 08:20 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 08:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So because the rookie may not help right away, we shouldn’t draft them?

Haskins may or may not have a great NFL career.  But does the FO have the time to find out?

If the front office does a good job then they will.  Honestly our efforts on the offensive side of the ball have been poor.  Yeah but look at 2017.... yeah too bad that was one year and in hindsight we got lucky with opponent QBs being unavailable.  Going to be a wait and see season.  My expectations are 8-8 with some positives.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-16-2019, 07:35 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 05:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I kind of suspect that this is the way that they go.  In my opinion, it's a better option rather than rolling the dice on some college QB, especially in a weak draft class.  Nick Foles would be my first choice with possibly Ryan Fitzpatrick as a second choice (I wince as I type this) and Joe Flacco as a third choice.  If anyone thinks that the top QB in the draft is the way to go... well, prepare for more losing seasons.  While yes, some rookie QB's come in and make an immediate impact for their teams, I just don't see it this next season.

I'd still like to draft a QB in the second or third round. You're right, investing a first round pick in a QB commits the franchise to that QB.  But why not take a lower risk prospect who might pan out? If nothing else, he could replace Kessler at backup.

Theres too many holes that need to be filled on the offensive to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a so-so QB that's only backup material. The Jags will need every pick they have (and then some) to bring the offense up to a competitive level. They cant even afford to go BAP in my opinion it's going to be BAP on offense every round.

(01-16-2019, 08:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

That's not where I was going with my armchair GM assessment. 

Haskins is going to be the apple of a few teams eye so unless the Jags are will to invest more picks to move up (possibly to the 1st pick) then they may miss out on him. You have to ask yourself another question, is he worth multiple 1st round picks? Because that may be the price tag to land the spot to pick him.

I look at it this way, Foles is what? 26 years old? and he's a winner. He has everything your looking for in a franchise QB. I guarantee you the decision to let him leave Philly in favor of Wentz has been as easy as they make appear.

I am just weighing in on my opinion of the hiring of DeFilippo and what I infer it might mean to our offense in 2019.

First of all, I think Maronne and Company just hit a grand slam with the hiring of DeFilippo and the other position coaches. I am stoked!

Next, is anybody besides me wondering why we kept the WR and QB coaches? Hopefully the new OC will remedy this situation with either on the job training or replace them.

I am a big campaigner for putting Nick Foles in Teal not just because it matches his eyes rather on his record and proven poise under pressure. I say we go for broke on Foles. We already have his backup under futures contract so Blake and Cody can wave bye bye -?the sooner the better. No trading up for a QB. I say sit pat. Draft the best available OL at #7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its Haskins or no qb from this draft to me.
Well I'd be ok with drafting Tyree Jackson later to try and develop.
No Fun

(01-16-2019, 11:42 PM)#1calijagfan Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 07:35 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I'd still like to draft a QB in the second or third round. You're right, investing a first round pick in a QB commits the franchise to that QB.  But why not take a lower risk prospect who might pan out? If nothing else, he could replace Kessler at backup.

Theres too many holes that need to be filled on the offensive to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a so-so QB that's only backup material. The Jags will need every pick they have (and then some) to bring the offense up to a competitive level. They cant even afford to go BAP in my opinion it's going to be BAP on offense every round.

Is Foles a top 5 QB? No. Can he be a 10-15 type of QB? Yes. And that is all you really need if you have a top defense.

See Philadelphia Eagles 2017.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

haskins is the future. y’all asking for foles are crazy

dude played with possibly the best oline defense and amazing weapons for years.

he’s a system qb who won was carson had the team rolling. i love foles. but he’s not that great

Haskins is a bum, enough already.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(01-16-2019, 11:53 PM)#1calijagfan Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 08:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So because the rookie may not help right away, we shouldn’t draft them?

That's not where I was going with my armchair GM assessment. 

Haskins is going to be the apple of a few teams eye so unless the Jags are will to invest more picks to move up (possibly to the 1st pick) then they may miss out on him. You have to ask yourself another question, is he worth multiple 1st round picks? Because that may be the price tag to land the spot to pick him.

I look at it this way, Foles is what? 26 years old? and he's a winner. He has everything your looking for in a franchise QB. I guarantee you the decision to let him leave Philly in favor of Wentz has been as easy as they make appear.

Foles is turning 30 in a few days. I agree that spending picks to move up for Haskins (or anyone else really) is a bad idea and he most likely wont be there at 7.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 03:16 PM by Jagwired.)

The hiring of DeFilippo is a guarantee that the Jags will be all in on obtaining Foles. I am not sure what I think about that. I am not strongly if even slightly in the camp that Foles is all that special. The deal he will command will certainly negate any chance that the Jags go QB in either of the first two rounds IMO. Foles is not going to sign a bridge type contract, especially if he has to buy out his deal at two million.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I'd take Murray if Haskins is gone. The ultimate boom or bust. If he doesnt work out in the next 2 years, go for broke getting Lawrence.
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES 
ATLANTS BRAVES