Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags hire DeFilippo as OC

Was hoping to get Kubiak but I think out of all the other interviewees this is the best possible consolation.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He worked with Coughlin in NY 05-06 , he has good of QB development experience, he’ll undoubtedly have wrinkles in the pass game we haven’t seen from the Jags in some time.

I’m on board.

The more I read - the more I like.
Not tough to guess why he’d not mesh with Zimmer and by that same token - encouraging that Marrone and TC seem to be on board with what Zimmer wasn’t hip to.

Thank God it's not Bevell or McCoy. Does this mean a new offensive ideology? I know DeFilippo likes to throw the ball quite a bit. Maybe Coughlin and Marrone are getting the hint that a good passing game is the best way to get back on track. Hopefully, this means we're gonna go all out on Haskins.

Since Foles was no better then blake after his first few years and Defilippo made foles into a better QB. If the price is too high to get foles do we hold on to blake and see what he can do with him. HAving an oc who can call plays to benefit your QB and not hamper him would be a bonus. I mean if we need to bring in ppl to make foles better same argument can be made for blake. If Jack wasnt down blake might have been the SB MVP remember that. No way the eagles beat the jags in 2017.

(01-16-2019, 02:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He worked with Coughlin in NY 05-06 , he has good of QB development experience, he’ll undoubtedly have wrinkles in the pass game we haven’t seen from the Jags in some time.

I’m on board.

The more I read - the more I like.
Not tough to guess why he’d not mesh with Zimmer and by that same token - encouraging that Marrone and TC seem to be on board with what Zimmer wasn’t hip to.

The last part is crucial. DeFillipo wouldn't be dumb enough to jump right back into the same situation he did with Zimmer where there's a conflict of philosophy all year on how the offense should be run.  

Remember, Marrone was the Saints OC under Payton and while he didn't call plays he was part of a really good and diverse passing attack. Coughlin history shows he's definitely not afraid to air it out either. We might see that the run heavy scheme was simply to try maximize Blake, albeit we will need a QB to run this potential pass offense.

(01-16-2019, 02:11 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Since Foles was no better then blake after his first few years and Defilippo made foles into a better QB. If the price is too high to get foles do we hold on to blake and see what he can do with him. HAving an oc who can call plays to benefit your QB and not hamper him would be a bonus. I mean if we need to bring in ppl to make foles better same argument can be made for blake. If Jack wasnt down blake might have been the SB MVP remember that. No way the eagles beat the jags in 2017.
OMG let it go! Blake is long gone dude. You're the only person who still believes he will be on this roster.

(01-16-2019, 02:11 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Since Foles was no better then blake after his first few years and Defilippo made foles into a better QB. If the price is too high to get foles do we hold on to blake and see what he can do with him. HAving an oc who can call plays to benefit your QB and not hamper him would be a bonus. I mean if we need to bring in ppl to make foles better same argument can be made for blake. If Jack wasnt down blake might have been the SB MVP remember that. No way the eagles beat the jags in 2017.

Ain't happening with Blake. But you could make the argument that Defilippo's history of improving QBs is a reason not to pay big for Foles but see what he can do with a cheaper option.

Either way I'm glad they have someone with some authority in house who will be able to say whether or not we should go heavy on Foles.

Stop it.

To all of you who want Foles, how are we going to create the cap space to sign him? We're already over the cap, and we need to re-sign Ngakoue and Jack. I'm good with letting Malik go. You could lose him and not feel much negative impact. But I think Dareus is our best run stopper.

So who gets the axe to make room for Foles?

(01-16-2019, 02:31 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: To all of you who want Foles, how are we going to create the cap space to sign him? We're already over the cap, and we need to re-sign Ngakoue and Jack.  I'm good with letting Malik go. You could lose him and not feel much negative impact. But I think Dareus is our best run stopper.

I asked this earlier.  I’m pro-Foles.  But I honestly don’t know the ramifications of making room.  Or to what extent they’d have to dismantle the defense.  Any of the cap gurus on here wanna offer more insight?

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019, 02:42 PM by Inziladun.)

(01-16-2019, 02:31 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: To all of you who want Foles, how are we going to create the cap space to sign him? We're already over the cap, and we need to re-sign Ngakoue and Jack.  I'm good with letting Malik go. You could lose him and not feel much negative impact. But I think Dareus is our best run stopper.

Malik Jackson alone is probably more than enough to cover the cap hit for Foles(11 mil in savings). But taking into account the overall cap situation and keeping our young players, the guys I think are easy cuts are: Bortles (4.5 mil in savings, plus much more the following year), Parnell (6 mil in savings), Kessler (900k in savings), Carlos Hyde (4.7 mil in savings, granted we'd be admitting to making a mistake), Gipson (7.4 mil in savings, albeit this isn't technically an "easy cut").

There's also a quite a few guys floating around the bottom of the depth chart that will not make the team, freeing up a few more million in cap space.

(01-16-2019, 02:41 PM)Inziladun Wrote:

Malik Jackson alone is probably more than enough to cover the cap hit for Foles(11 mil in savings). But taking into account the overall cap situation and keeping our young players, the guys I think are easy cuts are: Bortles (4.5 mil in savings), Parnell (6 mil in savings), Kessler (900k in savings, plus much more the following year), Carlos Hyde (4.7 mil in savings, granted we'd be admitting to making a mistake), Gipson (7.4 mil in savings, albeit this isn't technically an "easy cut").

There's also a quite a few guys floating around the bottom of the depth chart that will not make the team, freeing up a few more million in cap space.
You forgot Church as well. Church is already gone but it gives us more cap room for 2019. I would honestly keep Parnell though but that's just me. Unless we really do find someone better for the same price (which is hard to do).

Okay, this move is slowly restoring some confidence. Good hire in my opinion.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(01-16-2019, 02:41 PM)Inziladun Wrote:

Malik Jackson alone is probably more than enough to cover the cap hit for Foles(11 mil in savings). But taking into account the overall cap situation and keeping our young players, the guys I think are easy cuts are: Bortles (4.5 mil in savings, plus much more the following year), Parnell (6 mil in savings), Kessler (900k in savings), Carlos Hyde (4.7 mil in savings, granted we'd be admitting to making a mistake), Gipson (7.4 mil in savings, albeit this isn't technically an "easy cut").

I'd rather not cut Gipson. The Hyde cut might make sense, but we'd have to draft another RB-early...second or with one of our third round pick. It would be an easier decision if we could depend on Fournette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in0HefnhaHc

(01-16-2019, 02:47 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 02:41 PM)Inziladun Wrote: Malik Jackson alone is probably more than enough to cover the cap hit for Foles(11 mil in savings). But taking into account the overall cap situation and keeping our young players, the guys I think are easy cuts are: Bortles (4.5 mil in savings, plus much more the following year), Parnell (6 mil in savings), Kessler (900k in savings), Carlos Hyde (4.7 mil in savings, granted we'd be admitting to making a mistake), Gipson (7.4 mil in savings, albeit this isn't technically an "easy cut").

I'd rather not cut Gipson. The Hyde cut might make sense, but we'd have to draft another RB-early...second or with one of our third round pick. It would be an easier decision if we could depend on Fournette.
Why do we have to use an early draft pick on a RB? They come from all over. Damien Williams for the Chiefs came from no where. Phillip Lindsay was an undrafted rookie. Not to mention do you really want to pay a backup RB 5 million? I sure don't.

I would hate to see Hyde go because he’s a strong pile-mover, but after a couple of good games he just seemed to give up. I don’t know if it was lack of motivation or a porous O line. Maybe both.

Press conference at 3 to announce all the hires. I guess we’ll find out who’s the D-Line coach as well.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(01-16-2019, 02:52 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 02:47 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I'd rather not cut Gipson. The Hyde cut might make sense, but we'd have to draft another RB-early...second or with one of our third round pick. It would be an easier decision if we could depend on Fournette.
Why do we have to use an early draft pick on a RB? They come from all over. Damien Williams for the Chiefs came from no where. Phillip Lindsay was an undrafted rookie. Not to mention do you really want to pay a backup RB 5 million? I sure don't.

Given that we don't know if we can depend on Fournette, Hyde may very well be the starter. I also hate the idea that we would have wasted a draft pick on this guy.

I really do think Hyde can be a good player.  Many of us liked him when he played for the Browns and the Niners. It's not fair to judge him behind this battered OL of scrubs, most of who won't be here next year.

If cutting Hyde is essential to getting Foles, I guess it makes sense. You have to make sacrifices somewhere. I'm more sensitive to cuts on defense---since it was the defense that brought us to the dance last year.

(01-16-2019, 02:56 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 02:52 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Why do we have to use an early draft pick on a RB? They come from all over. Damien Williams for the Chiefs came from no where. Phillip Lindsay was an undrafted rookie. Not to mention do you really want to pay a backup RB 5 million? I sure don't.

Given that we don't know if we can depend on Fournette, Hyde may very well be the starter. I also hate the idea that we would have wasted a draft pick on this guy.

I really do think Hyde can be a good player.  Many of us liked him when he played for the Browns and the Niners. It's not fair to judge him behind this battered OL of scrubs, most of who won't be here next year.

If cutting Hyde is essential to getting Foles, I guess it makes sense. You have to make sacrifices somewhere. I'm more sensitive to cuts on defense---since it was the defense that brought us to the dance last year.
Dont think we need to draft a RB we have plenty i liked what i saw from williams.

RB on the roster- 4nett, Hyde, David Williams, Dirmitri Flowers, Thomas Rawls
RB Free Agents- Tommy Bohannan, TJ TYeldon, Cory Grant