Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you do at QB
Go for broke for Haskins?
Go for broke for Foles?
Sign cheap FA and let the chips fall where they may in the draft?
[Show Results]

Haskins or Foles

This is a great question. Honestly, I changed my mind from the time I voted (Foles) after reading the comments. Initially I chose Foles since his basement is higher than Haskins. However, Haskins' ceiling is way higher. Also, I'm still not sure what the price will be for Foles. Will the Eagles trade him or will he buyout his current contract and go on the free agent market for a very steep price? I guess the most important question to answer is: " Can the current Jaguars team go deep into the playoffs with Foles at q.b. and the injured players returning to full strength?

Coughlin and Caldwell will have to make this decision. To me, the 2017-18 team had extremely unusual luck regarding lack of injuries combined with an easy schedule. I don't think the Jaguars can afford to give up the farm for either Foles or Haskins. Therefore, I would pass on Foles and make a reasonable trade offer to see if I could acquire Haskins. I guess I'd be willing to part with next year's first rounder and our 2nd 3rd rounder this year. That would enable them to draft an offensive lineman in the 2nd round and a receiver and tight end in the 3rd and 4th rounds. They'd still need to find a bridge quarterback for the right price. If the price is too high for Haskins, I'd probably take Jones if he impresses at the senior bowl, combine and personal workouts. I want no part of Lock or Grier in round 1.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-17-2019, 01:50 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 01:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Watson and Mahomes were a part of an apparent weak class.

Also... Tua and Fromm are can't miss prospects? The only QB that looks like a lock is Trevor Lawerence. I think Haskins will be a better pro than both Tua and Fromm. I put Haskins behind only Baker and Darnold from last year.
Watson and Mahomes at least played three years to enhance their play. Even without the ability of hindsight, I liked those guys coming out of college. This Haskins guy just completed his first year as a starter and I don't have the same feeling.

In my opinion Tua is overrated and strictly a product of coaching and outstanding personnel around him. Fromm will end up being more successful if/when either get drafted. Everyone knew Baker was going to be a baller if he could stow the attitude. From a talent standpoint, safe pick there. Darnold, I was never high on but showed room for growth because he played disciplined, albeit safe. I liked what I saw from him this year.

Haskins, I don't see the disciplined pocket passer. I don't see that gamer that can come from behind. I don't see a guy that can take hits and still stand tall. I don't see the "it" factor. It doesn't mean he can't fufill all of those and more but in my opinion there is too much risk chasing those unknowns. I think a lot of teams would feel better seeing him another year or two in college but reality is, he and his agent were smart to jump and enter a weak draft. Some team will bet the farm and I hope it isn't the Jags.

(01-17-2019, 01:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: Pretty generic analysis. Most college QBs "struggle Vs pressure" , most NFL QBs do too.  Haskins is bad Vs pressure atm but that's to be expected at this point.

As for reads you can only judge him on the scheme he runs but there are multiple examples in every game of him making multiple reads on NFL concepts, even if it's relatively easy scheme to get production out of, similar to Clemson's  or Oklahoma's.  The term "one read QB" is lazy and ignores the keys , presnap and post snap decisions *every* QB in spread/air raid schemes has to make.

He doesn't really scramble much either unless it's a last resort.
Call it what you will but what more can you use to analyze? His body of work is too minescule to garner any type of specifics other than those provided. That is the point in all of this. How can you be so sure as to bet your future on a guy that is this raw and unknown?

I don't have a problem with being cautious about his lack of experience.  

Ignoring all of his high end traits because he didn't play more doesn't make much sense. Nor does it makes sense to ding him for being the best of a meh bunch, he'd hold up in every class. 

Watson was called a one read QB on here because people weren't able to understand that every scheme has multiple keys and reads, some just happen presnap , some happen post snap, and some include both. They missed his ability to quickly process through reads when he needed to and when it was required of him. Same is true of Haskins, despite how easy Ohio state makes it look.

Where’s the “pick Haskins at #7” option?

Haskins

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-17-2019, 02:04 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: This is a great question. Honestly, I changed my mind from the time I voted (Foles) after reading the comments. Initially I chose Foles since his basement is higher than Haskins. However, Haskins' ceiling is way higher. Also, I'm still not sure what the price will be for Foles. Will the Eagles trade him or will he buyout his current contract and go on the free agent market for a very steep price? I guess the most important question to answer is: " Can the current Jaguars team go deep into the playoffs with Foles at q.b. and the injured players returning to full strength?

Coughlin and Caldwell will have to make this decision. To me, the 2017-18 team had extremely unusual luck regarding lack of injuries combined with an easy schedule. I don't think the Jaguars can afford to give up the farm for either Foles or Haskins. Therefore, I would pass on Foles and make a reasonable trade offer to see if I could acquire Haskins. I guess I'd be willing to part with next year's first rounder and our 2nd 3rd rounder this year. That would enable them to draft an offensive lineman in the 2nd round and a receiver and tight end in the 3rd and 4th rounds. They'd still need to find a bridge quarterback for the right price.  If the price is too high for Haskins, I'd probably take Jones if he impresses at the senior bowl, combine and personal workouts. I want no part of Lock or Grier in round 1.

This is exactly why I prefer Haskins. "Playing it safe" might get you a decent QB, but taking a risk and going for broke could get you an elite QB. Haskins has an incredibly high ceiling. Just once in my lifetime I would like for the Jaguars to have a truly great QB. Maybe Haskins is that guy, maybe he's not. I believe he has shown he can be that type of QB though. Foles is good, but he is also very erratic at times and I just think he'd be a solid, yet unspectacular option. He'd obviously be much better than what we've had, but I also see him more of a middle of the road type QB in Jacksonville.

(01-17-2019, 02:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Where’s the “pick Haskins at #7” option?

This I am okay with if the Jags feel that is in their best interest. Giving away picks to move up for him is what I'd be iffy about. Not the Jags give two [BLEEP] what I think!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Personally, I fear seeing Foles on the Jags team. He would be the best QB they have had since Brunell. Don't get me wrong, I do root for the Jags, but after the Colts ... So, I do have my red line. Smile

For the people in the Foles camp... how many players is it going to take to cut to take on Foles contract, rookie contracts, and players to fill out the roster? That would be my concern. We are in a pretty tough spot.

For the sake of the thread, if they were able to make the space... between Foles and Haskins I’m all in on Haskins. I feel like a trade up would be absolutely needed. I see the Jags going with Daniel Jones though to be honest. Just seems like a Coughlin pick.

Right now I am saying stick at 7 and take the best QB available. I really like Haskins, Grier and Jones. I wouldn't be upset with any of the 3.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 04:09 PM by Jags.)

(01-17-2019, 02:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Where’s the “pick Haskins at #7” option?

I probably should have added more options like that or keep Bortles.  Discussion wise, that’s what I’d like to hear as well.  It kind of gotten to the point I had to go to a few different threads to keep up with the talk.  In the spirit of the poll, I was more so thinking would you rather spend big bucks and cut a guy or two to get a proven vet that could potentially be the starter for 5-7 years or go for broke on the top rated QB and hope it he turns out to be an Andrew Luck, not an RGIII.

It’s pretty split so far. Almost even on the poll. I can see all the above. It’s hard not to think about the possible firings if they don’t get it right. I’d love to have Foles. But I’m also impatient. Foles allows them to use that top pick for O-line and remaining picks on TE WR. If we don’t land Foles, I’d like to see them do what they can for Haskins. If neither happens, I fear it has potential for another looong season.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 04:25 PM by nhiverson.)

Haskins for sure.
Also the idiots on the radio not sure who saw on twitter but saying we should trade Ramsey for Foles is dumb and I would be so done with this team if they did that.
I am only fine with going after Foles if they still draft Haskins.
No Fun

(01-17-2019, 04:17 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Haskins for sure.
Also the idiots on the radio not sure who saw on twitter but saying we should trade Ramsey for Foles is dumb and I would be so done with this team if they did that.
I am only fine with going after Foles if they still draft Haskins.
That person probably can't walk and breathe at the same time!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We failed over and over again with drafting QBs

(01-17-2019, 04:28 PM)jaglyn Wrote: We failed over and over again with drafting QBs

Especially in the first round.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 04:54 PM by Cleatwood.)

(01-17-2019, 04:28 PM)jaglyn Wrote: We failed over and over again with drafting QBs
And?

Does that mean the Jags should never draft one? If Mayfield fell to the 29th pick last year, Jags should have passed on him because they failed to successfully draft one before?

Browns had way more back luck than the Jags at drafting QBs but it didn't sway them away from Mayfield. Keep drafting until you find the one.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 04:51 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(01-17-2019, 02:13 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 01:50 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Watson and Mahomes at least played three years to enhance their play. Even without the ability of hindsight, I liked those guys coming out of college. This Haskins guy just completed his first year as a starter and I don't have the same feeling.

In my opinion Tua is overrated and strictly a product of coaching and outstanding personnel around him. Fromm will end up being more successful if/when either get drafted. Everyone knew Baker was going to be a baller if he could stow the attitude. From a talent standpoint, safe pick there. Darnold, I was never high on but showed room for growth because he played disciplined, albeit safe. I liked what I saw from him this year.

Haskins, I don't see the disciplined pocket passer. I don't see that gamer that can come from behind. I don't see a guy that can take hits and still stand tall. I don't see the "it" factor. It doesn't mean he can't fufill all of those and more but in my opinion there is too much risk chasing those unknowns. I think a lot of teams would feel better seeing him another year or two in college but reality is, he and his agent were smart to jump and enter a weak draft. Some team will bet the farm and I hope it isn't the Jags.

Call it what you will but what more can you use to analyze? His body of work is too minescule to garner any type of specifics other than those provided. That is the point in all of this. How can you be so sure as to bet your future on a guy that is this raw and unknown?

I don't have a problem with being cautious about his lack of experience.  

Ignoring all of his high end traits because he didn't play more doesn't make much sense. Nor does it makes sense to ding him for being the best of a meh bunch, he'd hold up in every class. 

Watson was called a one read QB on here because people weren't able to understand that every scheme has multiple keys and reads, some just happen presnap , some happen post snap, and some include both. They missed his ability to quickly process through reads when he needed to and when it was required of him. Same is true of Haskins, despite how easy Ohio state makes it look.

Urban is a one-read, make it easy for the QB kinda guy.

Does that mean we should stop altogether? I don't think so. It just means we need to be smarter about who we take.

(01-17-2019, 12:33 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 11:33 AM)Mikey Wrote: If the OC was able to turn Foles from a backup into a valuable FA target, let's get a younger, cheaper guy and see if he can do it again.

Whether that's a backup who hasn't broken through as a starter or a rookie, I much prefer either option to overspending on a free agent QB who may end up being no better than the QB we already overpaid for.

Why not just keep BB, he is younger and will not cost you anything he is already signed.  If he can make a diff with BB5 we will be back in the playoffs. If he cant we are drafting top 10 in 2020 with a much better QB selection. Cue cleatwood

I never said I was opposed to that, here.  I've said that keeping Blake may make more sense in the long term in other threads. If we are pursuing a QB through FA, I fear that it will not yield results equal to expectations, and will end up hurting the cap more than it helps.

I don't remember 'Keep Blake" being one of the survey options. I guess we could be arguing why I didn't favor corn, either.

Get Foles on a 2 year incentive based deal based on wins and TD's thrown and take another QB later on in the draft. Maybe Grier on day two or early RD3. Would rather see the 7th overall pick traded for more picks or they take a lineman to either bulk up the offensive side of the football or defensive side of the football again.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-17-2019, 04:58 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 12:33 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Why not just keep BB, he is younger and will not cost you anything he is already signed.  If he can make a diff with BB5 we will be back in the playoffs. If he cant we are drafting top 10 in 2020 with a much better QB selection. Cue cleatwood

I never said I was opposed to that, here.  I've said that keeping Blake may make more sense in the long term in other threads. If we are pursuing a QB through FA, I fear that it will not yield results equal to expectations, and will end up hurting the cap more than it helps.

I don't remember 'Keep Blake" being one of the survey options. I guess we could be arguing why I didn't favor corn, either.

I didn’t include keeping Blake, because I only saw one poster that supported the idea as well as all reports indicate that the Jags will be moving on.  O-zone even talks as if Blake is gone.  Blake himself said in his gut he feels he is gone. Cap hit alone really is the only reason to keep him at this point.  Which is a valid argument I suppose.  Maybe they roll into camp with Bortles, McGough, a cheap FA and a draft pick or two.  I wouldn’t be surprised by anything.  

And yes, corn.