Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you do at QB
Go for broke for Haskins?
Go for broke for Foles?
Sign cheap FA and let the chips fall where they may in the draft?
[Show Results]

Haskins or Foles

(01-18-2019, 02:40 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 12:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don't think they will need to trade the farm but do you think Houston or KC is regretting tarding a 1st rounder for their QBs? If you believe the QB is a franchise guy, you do what it takes to get them. Some on here and around the league think Haskins is that type of guy. Others don't.

Some people last year thought Mayfield was a 2nd or 3rd round talent. Cleveland didn't and they look poised to take the AFC North by storm in the next couple seasons.

I hear you, but Haskins isn't Mahomes.

Frankly, I don't think he's quite Watson or Mayfield either. I do think he's the best this draft class has to offer where all the QBs are shotgun QBs, but I'm only giving up so much to get him. If he was a more accurate deep passer I'd be all over him, but as a passer, he reminds me more of David Garrard and Chad Henne where they were primarily masters of the short-to-mid passing game.  The perfect QB would be Haskins if he had Lock's ability to pass deep, and part of me wonders if that guy might actually be Grier.

Frankly, Mahomes wasn't Mahomes.  Until, of course, he was.  I still don't buy Watson, and it remains to be seen if Mayfield can keep the mojo going.  Haskins has enough traits that he can be elite.  He's very intelligent, his arm gets the job done, and he does everything you want your QB to do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-18-2019, 11:54 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 09:48 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I agree with the strategy if not the players. I'd take a hard look at Bridgewater and I wouldn't trade away the farm for Haskins. Although the sky's the limit in one sense, there's also a high risk factor there. If the cost is too high, I'd like to see them consider Daniel Jones. In a dream scenario, they could go OL in the 1st round and Jones somehow falls to them in the second round.

I don't even get the attraction to Bridgewater especially at his price. The two top FA QBs are Tyrod Taylor and Teddy. Think about it, and ask yourself if either is really that much better than Blake. If you think either is, you'll have to explain yourself, and even then, you need to ask yourself if the guy is truly worth more than $20 mil per year as I suspect they'll command as the top FAs. That's quite a lot of money to spend on additional garbage especially when we're already spending so much on Blake whether or not we keep him.

As for Foles, I'm leary of what he'll cost as well, but at least I'm confident in saying the guy is flat out better than Blake.

BTW, I wouldn't trade the farm for Haskins either, but in my mind trading the farm means moving up to a top-two pick. What I would do is trade away our 2nd and one of out 3rds in order to move up to #3 should the opportunity to get Haskins there arise. 

The main concern with Bridgewater is injury. He was actually developing pretty nicely before he got hurt. I had watched him particularly because I'd wanted the Jaguars to draft him. He's a much better player than Blake, accurate, makes quick decisions and limits mistakes, Blake's weak areas. He's not a franchise player certainly but if he were, we wouldn't think of him as being a bridge QB.

I have been watching a bit of Haskins lately with all the talk.  Watching the highlights makes you say wow; watching the cutups of the games makes you wonder.  I don't think I've ever seen him look off or go to a secondary receiver.  As Pete Prisco likes to say, he's Larry Lock-on.  That doesn't mean he can't be coached out of it, he probably can and he throws an amazing ball very accurate, but there's going to be growing pains at the least when he makes it to the NFL. I'd hate to have the Jags give away draft picks for a guy that could end up being less than expected.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-18-2019, 04:25 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 11:54 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I don't even get the attraction to Bridgewater especially at his price. The two top FA QBs are Tyrod Taylor and Teddy. Think about it, and ask yourself if either is really that much better than Blake. If you think either is, you'll have to explain yourself, and even then, you need to ask yourself if the guy is truly worth more than $20 mil per year as I suspect they'll command as the top FAs. That's quite a lot of money to spend on additional garbage especially when we're already spending so much on Blake whether or not we keep him.

As for Foles, I'm leary of what he'll cost as well, but at least I'm confident in saying the guy is flat out better than Blake.

BTW, I wouldn't trade the farm for Haskins either, but in my mind trading the farm means moving up to a top-two pick. What I would do is trade away our 2nd and one of out 3rds in order to move up to #3 should the opportunity to get Haskins there arise. 

The main concern with Bridgewater is injury. He was actually developing pretty nicely before he got hurt. I had watched him particularly because I'd wanted the Jaguars to draft him. He's a much better player than Blake, accurate, makes quick decisions and limits mistakes, Blake's weak areas. He's not a franchise player certainly but if he were, we wouldn't think of him as being a bridge QB.

I have been watching a bit of Haskins lately with all the talk.  Watching the highlights makes you say wow; watching the cutups of the games makes you wonder.  I don't think I've ever seen him look off or go to a secondary receiver.  As Pete Prisco likes to say, he's Larry Lock-on.  That doesn't mean he can't be coached out of it, he probably can and he throws an amazing ball very accurate, but there's going to be growing pains at the least when he makes it to the NFL. I'd hate to have the Jags give away draft picks for a guy that could end up being less than expected.

One of the best and most accurate posts I've seen on Haskins.  Well done.

(01-18-2019, 03:27 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 02:40 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I hear you, but Haskins isn't Mahomes.

Frankly, I don't think he's quite Watson or Mayfield either. I do think he's the best this draft class has to offer where all the QBs are shotgun QBs, but I'm only giving up so much to get him. If he was a more accurate deep passer I'd be all over him, but as a passer, he reminds me more of David Garrard and Chad Henne where they were primarily masters of the short-to-mid passing game.  The perfect QB would be Haskins if he had Lock's ability to pass deep, and part of me wonders if that guy might actually be Grier.

Frankly, Mahomes wasn't Mahomes.  Until, of course, he was.  I still don't buy Watson, and it remains to be seen if Mayfield can keep the mojo going.  Haskins has enough traits that he can be elite.  He's very intelligent, his arm gets the job done, and he does everything you want your QB to do.

Amusing.

Both will be better than the starting QB for the Jags for the next 2 seasons... and probably beyond that. Not to mention both are better than any QB the Jags ever had.

(01-18-2019, 04:58 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 03:27 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Frankly, Mahomes wasn't Mahomes.  Until, of course, he was.  I still don't buy Watson, and it remains to be seen if Mayfield can keep the mojo going.  Haskins has enough traits that he can be elite.  He's very intelligent, his arm gets the job done, and he does everything you want your QB to do.

Amusing.

Both will be better than the starting QB for the Jags for the next 2 seasons... and probably beyond that. Not to mention both are better than any QB the Jags ever had.

Watson wilted in the biggest game of his career so far.  And he throws a very large amount of dirtballs.  We saw what he is without a healthy Hopkins.

I'm a Baker fan, but he makes questionable decisions so far.  

Neither is better than Brunell was.  At least not yet.

how about neither.....now the draft is another story.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-18-2019, 06:14 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 04:58 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Amusing.

Watson wilted in the biggest game of his career so far.  And he throws a very large amount of dirtballs.  We saw what he is without a healthy Hopkins.

Can you elaborate on Baker making questionable decisions? Because he just set the TD record and he had a high completion % for a rookie (64%)(5. Not to mention he had a 93.7 rating.... as a rookie.

He has room to improve and that should scare the AFC North.

(01-18-2019, 08:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 06:14 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Watson wilted in the biggest game of his career so far.  And he throws a very large amount of dirtballs.  We saw what he is without a healthy Hopkins.

Can you elaborate on Baker making questionable decisions? Because he just set the TD record and he had a high completion % for a rookie (64%)(5. Not to mention he had a 93.7 rating.... as a rookie.

He thinks he can make it into windows that he can't always.  I didn't watch him often this season, but when I did he threw questionable INTs, specifically in the Baltimore game.  I think he's going to be good, but he hasn't arrived yet was my point.

Regardless of who is QB, you need to finish the OL and have playmakers in the passing game. Haskins or Foles can have success once these are fixed.

I feel sorry for any franchise that feels they have to spend $20M/year on a sub-par Free agent QB

Would be interesting to see what people who don't like Haskins thought of Trubisky Vs Watson and Mahomes two years ago

I chose option 3 because you said go for broke on both the other options. I think my plan would be

1) Do not trade for a QB unless the contract is cheap and the price is cheap.
2) Keep Blake as backup or bridge QB
3) If a Foles or some other alternative is available for decent price grab him. For example, Foles is free agent and he's not getting huge offers.
4. If we get to pick 5 and Haskins is there, try and move up as long as it's not too expensive.
5. If he's not try and get a Grier or Jones in late 1st or early 2nd.

We really should be exploring options like that Canadian League QB to see if we can find lightning in a bottle.

I’d rather have Grier

(01-18-2019, 10:01 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 08:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Can you elaborate on Baker making questionable decisions? Because he just set the TD record and he had a high completion % for a rookie (64%)(5. Not to mention he had a 93.7 rating.... as a rookie.

He thinks he can make it into windows that he can't always.  I didn't watch him often this season, but when I did he threw questionable INTs, specifically in the Baltimore game.  I think he's going to be good, but he hasn't arrived yet was my point.
“Didn’t watch him often”

Got it.

(01-18-2019, 11:54 PM)JackCity Wrote: Would be interesting to see what people who don't like Haskins thought of Trubisky Vs Watson and Mahomes two years ago

I like Haskins more then Watson, Trubisky, Goff, and Rosen.
Think he has potential to be as good as Baker for sure.
No Fun

(01-19-2019, 01:52 AM)newporttom Wrote: I chose option 3 because you said go for broke on both the other options.  I think my plan would be

3) If a Foles or some other alternative is available for decent price grab him. For example, Foles is free agent and he's not getting huge offers.
4. If we get to pick 5 and Haskins is there, try and move up as long as it's not too expensive.

We really should be exploring options like that Canadian League QB to see if we can find lightning in a bottle.

I'm on board with this although I'd go as high as the #3 pick for Haskins.

As it relates, another cheaper alternative I'd be ok with Fitzpatrick. Dude was on fire in several games last season. 
'02

(01-21-2019, 07:47 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 01:52 AM)newporttom Wrote: I chose option 3 because you said go for broke on both the other options.  I think my plan would be

I'm on board with this although I'd go as high as the #3 pick for Haskins.

As it relates, another cheaper alternative I'd be ok with Fitzpatrick. Dude was on fire in several games last season. 

That sounds very reasonable. However, I think the pressure to win now will Results in the team Signing Foles.

(01-19-2019, 09:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 10:01 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: He thinks he can make it into windows that he can't always.  I didn't watch him often this season, but when I did he threw questionable INTs, specifically in the Baltimore game.  I think he's going to be good, but he hasn't arrived yet was my point.
“Didn’t watch him often”

Got it.

Cool, be a jerk. Whatever, man.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2019, 12:32 PM by willybill6260.)

(01-17-2019, 11:33 AM)Mikey Wrote: If the OC was able to turn Foles from a backup into a valuable FA target, let's get a younger, cheaper guy and see if he can do it again.

Whether that's a backup who hasn't broken through as a starter or a rookie, I much prefer either option to overspending on a free agent QB who may end up being no better than the QB we already overpaid for.

I say keep Bottles and draft Daniel Jones as his heir apparent.

I agree with your assessment, with this qualifier. We draft Daniel Jones as our first pick if he is available.

Trading up for Haskins or even drafting him will doom this franchise for a decade.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up