Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What's good for the goose, is good for the gander?

(01-18-2019, 01:55 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 08:12 PM)Sammy Wrote: Pelosi and Trump are acting like children. Get together and hammer it out. Whine about it later.

Yes, these are the idiots we elected. Children.

Once people in the affected areas, particularly the TSA, start walking off the job entirely or finding other employment and leaving their positions, we'll see a very swift return to the table. One side will claim victory, the other will claim that they took one for the people who are unfairly held hostage by all of this, and they will keep fighting for XYZ.

Maybe TSA should be privatized and funded by the airlines they serve?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-18-2019, 09:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 01:55 AM)TJBender Wrote: Once people in the affected areas, particularly the TSA, start walking off the job entirely or finding other employment and leaving their positions, we'll see a very swift return to the table. One side will claim victory, the other will claim that they took one for the people who are unfairly held hostage by all of this, and they will keep fighting for XYZ.

Maybe we shouldn't have a federal work force so big 800k is a PARTIAL SHUTDOWN!

(01-18-2019, 09:19 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 09:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Maybe TSA should be privatized and funded by the airlines they serve?

Maybe we shouldn't have a federal work force so big 800k is a PARTIAL SHUTDOWN!

Nobody with a brain can disagree with that. However, our government will find other ways to spend that money rather than find ways to save it.

(01-18-2019, 09:22 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 09:19 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Maybe we shouldn't have a federal work force so big 800k is a PARTIAL SHUTDOWN!

Nobody with a brain can disagree with that. However, our government will find other ways to spend that money rather than find ways to save not take  it.

FTFY.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-17-2019, 10:16 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 09:47 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Then no.

It isn't negotiating if you're only willing to negotiate after you get what you want.

It is communicating though

Keep moving that goal post.

(01-18-2019, 09:55 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 10:16 PM)mikesez Wrote: It is communicating though

Keep moving that goal post.

Not me.  We were both using the word "communicate" and then someone said "negotiate" instead.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Military folks never disappoint with raw humor...

[Image: 50277523_1034090646777952_23988085899478...e=5CC5CABE]
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(01-18-2019, 09:05 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 07:53 AM)mikesez Wrote: Yes, Pelosi didn't show up at this scene until the shutdown had already begun.

Liar.  And we have video.

She had no power to change or stop the shutdown until it had already begun.
She was the House minority leader.

(01-18-2019, 10:06 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 09:05 AM)jj82284 Wrote:

Liar.  And we have video.

She had no power to change or stop the shutdown until it had already begun.
While technically she was elected speaker after, she was nominated well before. She laid out her plans well before here election and shutdown. If you believe she was powerless, that is a pretty naive point of view.  I wonder if those that went against her nomination that have now been shunned from committees would agree with you.

(01-18-2019, 10:24 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 10:06 AM)mikesez Wrote: She had no power to change or stop the shutdown until it had already begun.
While technically she was elected speaker after, she was nominated well before. She laid out her plans well before here election and shutdown. If you believe she was powerless, that is a pretty naive point of view.  I wonder if those that went against her nomination that have now been shunned from committees would agree with you.

I don't think the one thing has anything to do with the other.

I will agree that Chuck Shumer could have had some power to compromise on wall funding before the shutdown began.

But I clearly remember Trump and Shumer meeting in the white house with cameras on, before the shut down began, and Trump saying that he would "take the mantle," that he would gladly be the one responsible for shutting down the government.

(01-18-2019, 10:30 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 10:24 AM)B2hibry Wrote: While technically she was elected speaker after, she was nominated well before. She laid out her plans well before here election and shutdown. If you believe she was powerless, that is a pretty naive point of view.  I wonder if those that went against her nomination that have now been shunned from committees would agree with you.

I will agree that Chuck Shumer could have had some power to compromise on wall funding before the shutdown began.

But I clearly remember Trump and Shumer meeting in the white house with cameras on, before the shut down began, and Trump saying that he would "take the mantle," that he would gladly be the one responsible for shutting down the government.

You could see the weight lifted off Chuck's shoulders when he said that. It is literally all he cares about.

(01-18-2019, 10:52 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 10:30 AM)mikesez Wrote: I don't think the one thing has anything to do with the other.

You could see the weight lifted off Chuck's shoulders when he said that. It is literally all he cares about.

Yup.
That one soundbyte means that Chuck has no incentive to offer Trump anything new.
That one soundbyte can not be un-remembered.
The shutdown will never be anyone's fault but Trump's.
It ends with either him backing down, or an override of his veto after Republicans in Congress decide enough is enough.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019, 11:48 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(01-18-2019, 11:34 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 10:52 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You could see the weight lifted off Chuck's shoulders when he said that. It is literally all he cares about.

Yup.
That one soundbyte means that Chuck has no incentive to offer Trump anything new.
It ends with either him backing down, or an override of his veto after Republicans in Congress decide enough is enough.

There is simply no way Trump backs down. This ends with a compromise of 2.5-3B of wall funding and nothing else. 

Also, Trump doesn't care about owning the shutdown. The caravans headed this way will do his bidding for him.

Mexico avoiding any confrontation with caravan. This is going to end well for Chuck and Nancy.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/migrant-ca...frontation

(01-18-2019, 10:30 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 10:24 AM)B2hibry Wrote: While technically she was elected speaker after, she was nominated well before. She laid out her plans well before here election and shutdown. If you believe she was powerless, that is a pretty naive point of view.  I wonder if those that went against her nomination that have now been shunned from committees would agree with you.

Fairly certain it shows the power of persuasion based on heirarchy on the hill.

Because Schumer is a spineless schmuck! Trump realizes neither of the geritol crew is willing to break from their pre-game planning if they, not the American people, don't gain something. I also seem to remember Trump "taking the mantle" a few times to push this issue along towards a resolution without a leader in sight.

In my opinion, the Dems look more and more foolish the longer this carries on. Aside from a few ostriches, Americans are beginning to ignore words and pay attention to the actions or lack of when it comes to that party. Time to provide the DHS funding and regroup before even more resentment appears.

(01-17-2019, 06:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 06:17 PM)mikesez Wrote: I'm a never Trump republican. Not that it matters. Political affiliation shouldn't determine whether anyone is right or wrong.

Nate silver says you're wrong. A lot of the media misunderstood the polls. but the poles themselves were basically right, that's why Hillary won the popular vote.

Actually, the polls were wrong. You would literally argue that water is wet by saying not in a frozen state.

Water isn't wet.
You get wet from water...

but that isn't really the point I suppose lol

(01-18-2019, 10:04 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 09:55 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Keep moving that goal post.

Not me.  We were both using the word "communicate" and then someone said "negotiate" instead.

We both know we’re talking about negotiating a deal.

(01-18-2019, 09:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 01:55 AM)TJBender Wrote: Once people in the affected areas, particularly the TSA, start walking off the job entirely or finding other employment and leaving their positions, we'll see a very swift return to the table. One side will claim victory, the other will claim that they took one for the people who are unfairly held hostage by all of this, and they will keep fighting for XYZ.

I don't think the TSA should've existed in the first place, nor do I think we should be spending billions of dollars on low-powered microwave ovens to see through people's clothes when there's all kinds of evidence out there that security is less effective today than it was on 9/10/2001. The microwave ovens wouldn't have detected the box cutters used on 9/11, and I think we've all seen firsthand the result of sourcing your high-security workforce off of Craigslist and advertisements on pizza boxes.

But I digress. The TSA never should have been founded to begin with. The only good they've done was provide me with loads of laughs and great stories from when I was but a wee businessman who constantly arrived at the airport early enough to screw with them for a few minutes (or, in Newark, 33 minutes) before getting on my way.

(01-18-2019, 12:47 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 09:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Maybe TSA should be privatized and funded by the airlines they serve?

I don't think the TSA should've existed in the first place, nor do I think we should be spending billions of dollars on low-powered microwave ovens to see through people's clothes when there's all kinds of evidence out there that security is less effective today than it was on 9/10/2001. The microwave ovens wouldn't have detected the box cutters used on 9/11, and I think we've all seen firsthand the result of sourcing your high-security workforce off of Craigslist and advertisements on pizza boxes.

But I digress. The TSA never should have been founded to begin with. The only good they've done was provide me with loads of laughs and great stories from when I was but a wee businessman who constantly arrived at the airport early enough to screw with them for a few minutes (or, in Newark, 33 minutes) before getting on my way.
The TSA was established as a feel good for air travelers but they perform a needed service to the cargo industry whether through the air, land, or sea. Folks may not know that airports do not have to use TSA agents and can contract security services out but meet or exceed TSA established guidelines. Some big ones like SFO are contracted and ATL has been planning for non-TSA for a couple years.

(01-18-2019, 10:52 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You could see the weight lifted off Chuck's shoulders when he said that. It is literally all he cares about.

Yup.

And yet a significant portion of America is applauding him for that soundbite because they agree with his stance. That's what you miss for all your preening, that your perspective isn't shared among the Conservative half of America.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Yup.

I think you'll be happier in Cuba or China.. where the government just tells you what to do and when to do it and you comply or you're arrested, tortured and killed. Or if the government suddenly decides they don't like you or your ethnicity or your sexual orientation and just eradicate you totally.