Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
R. Lee Ermey, Marine Corps Drill Instructor, Actor, Will Be Buried at Arlington

R. Lee Ermey, Marine Corps Drill Instructor Turned Iconic Actor, Will Be Buried at Arlington

Retired Marine Staff Sgt. R. Lee Ermey, the legendary Marine drill instructor turned iconic Full Metal Jacket actor who died last year, will be formally laid to rest with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery at 10 a.m. on Jan. 18, according to the cemetery's web site.

https://www.military.com/undertheradar/2...1547758916
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So are they exhuming his body and reburying him? If so, why wasn't the decision made at the actual time of his death?

Apparently, he was cremated and just laid to rest today
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

He was quite a character. He had also done corporate motivational and meetings along with his tV show...
met him several times and was a genuinely nice guy...unlike his "Gunny" side.
RIP Sir.....I hope heaven was ready for you.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

https://youtu.be/dhRrQHQv8JI

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2019, 10:36 AM by The Real Marty.)

(01-18-2019, 06:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: https://youtu.be/dhRrQHQv8JI

That's a great clip.  Of course, we all prefer the uncensored one we can't post here.  But I was listening to some music when I played it just now, and when you play it on silent you notice some interesting things.  For one, when he is cussing those guys out, he is always looking them in the eye very aggressively, and the other thing I noticed was, he never blinks.  Could be great acting, or it could be just muscle memory from his previous career experience, but I found that pretty interesting.  It's pure alpha male aggression.

I watched a "making of" video on that movie, and it said that most of his dialogue was ad-libbed.  The crew filming the movie was agog at the steady stream of highly original and obscene insults that kept pouring out of his mouth.  

It's really one of my favorite all time movie clips.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2019, 02:28 PM by homebiscuit.)

That's a great clip.  Of course, we all prefer the uncensored one we can't post here.  But I was listening to some music when I played it just now, and when you play it on silent you notice some interesting things.  For one, when he is cussing those guys out, he is always looking them in the eye very aggressively, and the other thing I noticed was, he never blinks.  Could be great acting, or it could be just muscle memory from his previous career experience, but I found that pretty interesting.  It's pure alpha male aggression.

I watched a "making of" video on that movie, and it said that most of his dialogue was ad-libbed.  The crew filming the movie was agog at the steady stream of highly original and obscene insults that kept pouring out of his mouth.  

It's really one of my favorite all time movie clips.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a masterful cinematic scene, IMHO. Given his experience as a Drill Instructor, he created a sense of tension and anxiety that no actor could ever accomplish. Being an effective DI requires a good sense of acting. However, most folks may not know that Ermey wasn't a blood and guts combat vet, nor a true gunny. He was an aviation supply clerk who was medically retired as a Staff sergeant. Regardless, his achievements as a military ambassador earned him a resting place in Arlington.

(01-20-2019, 02:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It's a masterful cinematic scene, IMHO. Given his experience as a Drill Instructor, he created a sense of tension and anxiety that no actor could ever accomplish. Being an effective DI requires a good sense of acting. However, most folks may not know that Ermey wasn't a blood and guts combat vet, nor a true gunny. He was an aviation supply clerk who was medically retired as a Staff sergeant. Regardless, his achievements as a military ambassador earned him a resting place in Arlington.

Fun fact; Bob Ross technically outranked Ermey. Ross was a Master sergeant in the Air Force (E-7), Ermey was a Staff sergeant in the USMC (E-6).

(01-20-2019, 02:35 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 02:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It's a masterful cinematic scene, IMHO. Given his experience as a Drill Instructor, he created a sense of tension and anxiety that no actor could ever accomplish. Being an effective DI requires a good sense of acting. However, most folks may not know that Ermey wasn't a blood and guts combat vet, nor a true gunny. He was an aviation supply clerk who was medically retired as a Staff sergeant. Regardless, his achievements as a military ambassador earned him a resting place in Arlington.

Fun fact; Bob Ross technically outranked Ermey. Ross was a Master sergeant in the Air Force (E-7), Ermey was a Staff sergeant in the USMC (E-6).

Bob Ross: “Now troops, while under my tutelage as your Drill Instructor, there will be no mistakes - only happy accidents.”

(01-20-2019, 02:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 02:35 PM)DragonFury Wrote: Fun fact; Bob Ross technically outranked Ermey. Ross was a Master sergeant in the Air Force (E-7), Ermey was a Staff sergeant in the USMC (E-6).

Bob Ross: “Now troops, while under my tutelage as your Drill Instructor, there will be no mistakes - only happy accidents.”

That does sound like the Air Force. But jokes aside, according to Ross he was "the guy who makes you scrub the latrine, the guy who makes you make your bed, the guy who screams at you for being late to work". Once he started making money from painting he left because he hated being that guy. 

Alright, one last joke though; Bob Ross in the Air Force; putting the friendly in friendly fire.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2019, 03:13 PM by Jags.)

(01-20-2019, 02:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 02:35 PM)DragonFury Wrote: Fun fact; Bob Ross technically outranked Ermey. Ross was a Master sergeant in the Air Force (E-7), Ermey was a Staff sergeant in the USMC (E-6).

BR “when marking the LZ you can use red or yellow smoke, whatever color you want.  There’s no wrong way.  I think I’ll use a little titanium white here.”