Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates

(02-09-2019, 11:29 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 07:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Wow, so with all that experience you still beg to be abused.

I'm not calling for more government run intercity rail.  Thats AOC.  Not me.  I'd like to see more commuter rail and buses, but that's less sexy I guess.

You ever been to the downtown bus station?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-10-2019, 12:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 11:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: I'm not calling for more government run intercity rail.  Thats AOC.  Not me.  I'd like to see more commuter rail and buses, but that's less sexy I guess.

You ever been to the downtown bus station?

Yes. When only the poorest of the poor use it, it looks like that. The one in Orlando is a little less scary than the one in Jax.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-09-2019, 11:29 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 07:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Wow, so with all that experience you still beg to be abused.

I'm not calling for more government run intercity rail.  Thats AOC.  Not me.  I'd like to see more commuter rail and buses, but that's less sexy I guess.

The Sunrail commuter rail in the Orlando area charges $2 (plus an additional $2 if you cross a county line, go figure). The fare not only doesn't cover the cost of the train, it doesn't even cover the cost of collecting the fare. It also causes significant traffic problems at some of the crossings.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(02-10-2019, 09:26 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 11:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: I'm not calling for more government run intercity rail.  Thats AOC.  Not me.  I'd like to see more commuter rail and buses, but that's less sexy I guess.

The Sunrail commuter rail in the Orlando area charges $2 (plus an additional $2 if you cross a county line, go figure). The fare not only doesn't cover the cost of the train, it doesn't even cover the cost of collecting the fare. It also causes significant traffic problems at some of the crossings.

Yeah and the new I-4 construction is only 50% funded with new tolls. Most roads are not funded with user fees at all.

(02-10-2019, 08:41 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 12:39 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You ever been to the downtown bus station?

Yes. When only the poorest of the poor use it, it looks like that. The one in Orlando is a little less scary than the one in Jax.

Bull, I have half a dozen people who work for me that use it and all of them are middle class. Class issues aren't the problem with public transit in a geographically dispersed city like ours.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-10-2019, 10:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 08:41 AM)mikesez Wrote: Yes. When only the poorest of the poor use it, it looks like that. The one in Orlando is a little less scary than the one in Jax.

Bull, I have half a dozen people who work for me that use it and all of them are middle class. Class issues aren't the problem with public transit in a geographically dispersed city like ours.

Really? Why do they use it?

(02-10-2019, 11:02 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 10:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bull, I have half a dozen people who work for me that use it and all of them are middle class. Class issues aren't the problem with public transit in a geographically dispersed city like ours.

Really? Why do they use it?

Not sure how the "why" is relevant to anything.

(02-10-2019, 09:55 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 09:26 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: The Sunrail commuter rail in the Orlando area charges $2 (plus an additional $2 if you cross a county line, go figure). The fare not only doesn't cover the cost of the train, it doesn't even cover the cost of collecting the fare. It also causes significant traffic problems at some of the crossings.

Yeah and the new I-4 construction is only 50% funded with new tolls. Most roads are not funded with user fees at all.

Sure they are. The gasoline/diesel tax is essentially a user fee.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(02-10-2019, 09:26 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:

Rail is only a viable means of transport if it's introduced early enough in a city's development that you can put stations in places that make sense for commuters and the metropolitan area spreads out evenly enough to make rail easier than driving. That's why cities like New York, London and Atlanta have some of the world's best subway/rail networks, and why the Jacksonville Skyway, Phoenix's light rail and, presumably, the Sunrail are massive wastes of taxpayer dollars.

(02-10-2019, 11:06 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 11:02 AM)mikesez Wrote: Really? Why do they use it?

Not sure how the "why" is relevant to anything.

2 have Epilepsy, 1 is legally blind, 3 I dont know why.

(02-10-2019, 02:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 11:06 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Not sure how the "why" is relevant to anything.

2 have Epilepsy, 1 is legally blind, 3 I dont know why.

The ones with epilepsy and legal blindness have probably made every effort to select a job and a home that is convenient as possible to the bus. Most people don't choose a job or a home based on that, but if traffic gets bad enough and new light rail or bus lanes are built, people will start using their homes and their jobs that way.

(02-10-2019, 12:12 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 09:26 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: The Sunrail commuter rail in the Orlando area charges $2 (plus an additional $2 if you cross a county line, go figure). The fare not only doesn't cover the cost of the train, it doesn't even cover the cost of collecting the fare. It also causes significant traffic problems at some of the crossings.

Rail is only a viable means of transport if it's introduced early enough in a city's development that you can put stations in places that make sense for commuters and the metropolitan area spreads out evenly enough to make rail easier than driving. That's why cities like New York, London and Atlanta have some of the world's best subway/rail networks, and why the Jacksonville Skyway, Phoenix's light rail and, presumably, the Sunrail are massive wastes of taxpayer dollars.

MARTA did not carry passengers until 1979.
Miami's metro rail system is even newer than that.

New systems in developed suburban areas will be underutilized until new high-density housing is built near the stations.

You see this in Miami, you swe it in Atlanta, and you will see it in Orlando.

It allows those metro areas to hold more workers without getting more road traffic.

Tens of people showed up for Betos rally. Nice going!

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 08:46 PM by homebiscuit.)

I watched Brett Baier interview Amy Klobuchar. It's been reported that she mistreats, and misappropriates, her staff. You can tell she's a shrill, entitled [BLEEP]. She briefly bristled a couple of times with Baier because she's used to getting tongue baths from the leftist MSM instead of pointed questions. I predict she'll drop out of the race when she loses composure either in a debate or when her own side continually accuses her of not being leftist enough.

(02-11-2019, 10:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Tens of people showed up for Betos rally. Nice going!

They carried Mexican flags and beat a Trump pinata. Wonderful.

As POTUS, Francis Beto said he would tear down all existing border walls.

I can't wait for these primaries.

The Bern is in! Already raising lot a of money too from those $27 donations. Get your popcorn ready!

(02-19-2019, 08:02 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The Bern is in! Already raising lot a of money too from those $27 donations. Get your popcorn ready!

The two front runners for the new, diverse, up-and-coming Democratic Party are a couple of white male millionaires aged 76 and 77.

Yep, that's totally how you do the whole "reinvent your party" thing.

(02-19-2019, 08:19 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 08:02 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The Bern is in! Already raising lot a of money too from those $27 donations. Get your popcorn ready!

The two front runners for the new, diverse, up-and-coming Democratic Party are a couple of white male millionaires aged 76 and 77.

Yep, that's totally how you do the whole "reinvent your party" thing.

Well AOC isnt old enough yet, so....

Is anyone really surprised?

https://twitter.com/brithume/status/1096821175701983233

(02-19-2019, 09:49 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Is anyone really surprised?

A woman enjoys clothes shopping. Listen, if that were the biggest problem with Kamala Harris, she'd have my vote already. I'm still waiting for her to tell the world what her favorite Tupac song is.