Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Drew Lock

So off topic... He looked fine with accuracy at practice yesterday. Any insights into today yet?
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Honestly I'd take Stidham out of Auburn before Lock.

(01-22-2019, 11:42 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 06:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: All of it, he can let throws get away from him at times but he doesnt have bad accuracy.  You say all this about Lock but you liked Lamar Jackson lol.  Lock is better at everything than Jackson was except running the football.  Lock is far from a finished product but to say he is bad at everything other than arm talent is comical

He's pretty inaccurate in short and intermediate. His placement is not good. He struggles in that area mightily. Deep ball accuracy is good but that's the least important area.  

I liked Lamar and acknowledged he was inaccurate
. He was much better reading coverage, much better with eye manipulation, ran more NFL style concepts and was a game breaking playmaker.  Lamar was way better playing the MOF too. Had better touch etc etc 

Lock isn't bad at everything bar his arm. He is bad at everything I listed though, he crumbles under pressure , his footwork is awful (he admits this) , he doesn't process things fast enough to make use of his amazing arm.

I wouldn't just say his deep ball accuracy is merely good. He has one of the best deep arms I've seen coming out of college. I also don't feel that he takes too long to process as he consistently gets the ball out in time possessing a nice, quick release.

My biggest issue with Lock is that you so rarely ever see him scramble or get outside the pocket to throw. I've watched many of his plays and could only find a couple where you see him actually get outside to throw. About 95 percent of the time, Lock simply takes the shotgun snap, at most takes a step or two usually backward, and then throws to open guy often deep downfield. If nobody is open in the mid-to-deep range, he'll take off running downfield.

That said, he's pretty good at running downfield, and he's also good at noticing if he's about to be tackled short, at the very last second before crossing the line of scrimmage he'll throw the check-down pass. But if he sees a lane, he's not even checking down. His short game is virtually non-existent. 
'02

(01-25-2019, 12:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 11:42 PM)JackCity Wrote: He's pretty inaccurate in short and intermediate. His placement is not good. He struggles in that area mightily. Deep ball accuracy is good but that's the least important area.  

I liked Lamar and acknowledged he was inaccurate
. He was much better reading coverage, much better with eye manipulation, ran more NFL style concepts and was a game breaking playmaker.  Lamar was way better playing the MOF too. Had better touch etc etc 

Lock isn't bad at everything bar his arm. He is bad at everything I listed though, he crumbles under pressure , his footwork is awful (he admits this) , he doesn't process things fast enough to make use of his amazing arm.

I wouldn't just say his deep ball accuracy is merely good. He has one of the best deep arms I've seen coming out of college. I also don't feel that he takes too long to process as he consistently gets the ball out in time possessing a nice, quick release.

My biggest issue with Lock is that you so rarely ever see him scramble or get outside the pocket to throw. I've watched many of his plays and could only find a couple where you see him actually get outside to throw. About 95 percent of the time, Lock simply takes the shotgun snap, at most takes a step or two usually backward, and then throws to open guy often deep downfield. If nobody is open in the mid-to-deep range, he'll take off running downfield.

That said, he's pretty good at running downfield, and he's also good at noticing if he's about to be tackled short, at the very last second before crossing the line of scrimmage he'll throw the check-down pass. But if he sees a lane, he's not even checking down. His short game is virtually non-existent. 

I definitely think his processing is sub par right now . He isn't good at moving defenders away from the ball and doesn't yet understand how to approach aggressive coverage sent his way. He leaves too many plays on the field because he isn't able to react quick enough.

(01-25-2019, 01:09 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 12:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I wouldn't just say his deep ball accuracy is merely good. He has one of the best deep arms I've seen coming out of college. I also don't feel that he takes too long to process as he consistently gets the ball out in time possessing a nice, quick release.

I definitely think his processing is sub par right now . He isn't good at moving defenders away from the ball and doesn't yet understand how to approach aggressive coverage sent his way. He leaves too many plays on the field because he isn't able to react quick enough.

It's not so much that he doesn't react quick enough. It's more like he doesn't react at all.
'02

(01-25-2019, 02:13 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 01:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: I definitely think his processing is sub par right now . He isn't good at moving defenders away from the ball and doesn't yet understand how to approach aggressive coverage sent his way. He leaves too many plays on the field because he isn't able to react quick enough.

It's not so much that he doesn't react quick enough. It's more like he doesn't react at all.

What do you mean?

(01-25-2019, 02:53 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 02:13 PM)Jags02 Wrote: It's not so much that he doesn't react quick enough. It's more like he doesn't react at all.

What do you mean?

I'm not sure if it's poise or if he lacks feel, but from the time he gets the ball into his hands until he throws it, he's literally just standing there. You don't see him reacting in any way aside from when he takes off downfield, but that's more about guys not being open. He also trusts his OL a lot and for good reason. You rarely see them allowing any pressure.

Simply put, Lock is not about to evade pressure, escape the pocket or buy time with his feet to throw even deeper. He's a sitting duck back there dependent on either throwing it quickly enough or running straight forward. He's not a natural qb talent in the pocket with his legs, but his arm is an entirely different story.

'02

(01-25-2019, 03:04 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 02:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: What do you mean?

I'm not sure if it's poise or if he lacks feel, but from the time he gets the ball into his hands until he throws it, he's literally just standing there. You don't see him reacting in any way aside from when he takes off downfield, but that's more about guys not being open. He also trusts his OL a lot and for good reason. You rarely see them allowing any pressure.

I'm talking about him reading the defense and reacting to what they're showing him. His processing is subpar in that regard. But yeah his movement and footwork in the pocket are not natural at all and I think he admitted so in a recent interview.    

He's 100% going in the first 20 picks or so this year but boy would I feel uneasy about taking a 4 year starter that raw at some of the most basic components of the game.

(01-25-2019, 03:11 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 03:04 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm not sure if it's poise or if he lacks feel, but from the time he gets the ball into his hands until he throws it, he's literally just standing there. You don't see him reacting in any way aside from when he takes off downfield, but that's more about guys not being open. He also trusts his OL a lot and for good reason. You rarely see them allowing any pressure.

I'm talking about him reading the defense and reacting to what they're showing him. His processing is subpar in that regard. But yeah his movement and footwork in the pocket are not natural at all and I think he admitted so in a recent interview.    

He's 100% going in the first 20 picks or so this year but boy would I feel uneasy about taking a 4 year starter that raw at some of the most basic components of the game.

Oh, well I disagree there. Lock can see downfield and seems to be processing what's going on just fine. You can see he wants to throw deeper as he'd rather run than throw short, but I don't see him taking too long before he throws. Rather I'd say he's a bit of a master when it comes to perfecting timing with his receivers, and when he does throw he has a rather quick release to boot. Maybe you can show me examples where you think he's being slow at processing info. I really don't see that at all.

Totally agree on his footwork and movement needing a lot of work. He's very devepmental, however, if he were to learn and acquire those skills, there's no telling how good he can be in time. Indeed it would be very risky letting him touch the field as a rookie.
'02

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2019, 09:01 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I really feel this guy will be at the top of our board and I'm good with it

You dont see college players making that under arm throw

Sooo draft lock at the bottom of the first and keep bortles?

(02-02-2019, 12:08 PM)archer56 Wrote: Sooo draft lock at the bottom of the first and keep bortles?

I doubt Lock makes it to the bottom of the first round.

Idk after watching the senior bowl and looking at the film that's put on, I feel like yeah there's a ton of media hype around the QBs on where they think they should be drafted, but I think this is going to be like the year where EJ manuel went in the first because the bills were desperate and the rest of the teams have 2nd or 3rd grades on the Qbs outside of Haskins and maybe Murray. I can see all the QBs at the Senior Bowl going to the 2nd round. They all have glaring issues in the game that if I were a team drafting in the top part of the draft I would rather go with a projected game breaker on the D or O rather than a project QB.

Lock worries me because while his release is better I'm scared at mechanical issues. We tried to do that with Bortles and it never really got better. How do you fix a QB who's had bad mechanies his entire life then expect to sit him on the bench one year and hope it fixes.

(02-02-2019, 12:23 PM)archer56 Wrote: Idk after watching the senior bowl and looking at the film that's put on, I feel like yeah there's a ton of media hype around the QBs on where they think they should be drafted, but I think this is going to be like the year where EJ manuel went in the first because the bills were desperate and the rest of the teams have 2nd or 3rd grades on the Qbs outside of Haskins and maybe Murray.  I can see all the QBs at the Senior Bowl going to the 2nd round.  They all have glaring issues in the game that if I were a team drafting in the top part of the draft I would rather go with a projected game breaker on the D or O rather than a project QB.

Lock worries me because while his release is better I'm scared at mechanical issues.  We tried to do that with Bortles and it never really got better.  How do you fix a QB who's had bad mechanies his entire life then expect to sit him on the bench one year and hope it fixes.

Lock had a pretty good week at the Senior Bowl so im not sure what this means but ill come back to this thread at draft.  If we dont get Foles I really think this will be our top on the board come draft time and we can only hope the Giants dont take him which it would shock me if they did.

He had a good week in an environment that he was forced to focus on his weaknesses but in the game itself he didn't do anything to impress me.

His game tape shows the same thing. He has a big arm but his footwork bothers me and its already bad at the college level. Defenses are only going to get faster and that footwork is going to get magnified.

(02-02-2019, 04:07 PM)archer56 Wrote: He had a good week in an environment that he was forced to focus on his weaknesses but in the game itself he didn't do anything to impress me.

His game tape shows the same thing. He has a big arm but his footwork bothers me and its already bad at the college level. Defenses are only going to get faster and that footwork is going to get magnified.

Meh, the footwork can be coached and he has already showed progress.  With our new OC that had Foles win the SB MVP I feel he can make Lock flourish.  Would love to see Lock with a real coach, that Favre like under handed pass he didn't at the SB was something you dont see from college players

My concern is that he tends to either melt or disappear against quality opponents. Yes, Mizzou was not a good team overall. But in a three game stretch against Georgia, SC, and Alabama he was 1 TD and 5 INT. And there's the Gabbert curse...

And Daniel Jones outplayed him in the Senior Bowl. Jones will be there at 7 if we don't move up to 4 to get Haskins. Please let it be Haskins...I want the closest thing we can get to sure success.
[Image: giphy.gif]

I don't think he's that good but am warming to him

Very plausible he's there at 38. Thoughts? Hard to pass on that guy sitting two years and developing. But then again there are always guys next year and probably someone with more instant impact available too

(04-20-2019, 12:21 AM)JNev Wrote: Very plausible he's there at 38. Thoughts? Hard to pass on that guy sitting two years and developing. But then again there are always guys next year and probably someone with more instant impact available too

He wont be there at 38