Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney a FA!

I wouldn't mind signing him here, but I know it's a pipe dream for a few reasons.  He would be cost prohibitive given our salary cap and the need to sign a QB and re-sign Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue, but we already have two stud DEs in Campbell and Ngakoue.  If we were drafting him as a rookie to groom as a replacement for Campbell, that would be one thing, but with him as a veteran who, if he actually hits the open market, could break the bank, it would not be feasible for us to sign him.

But I am excited about the prospect of him leaving the tinhorns, but I can't see the Texans letting him walk.

Texans fans, what are you guys hearing?

Will you let him walk?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't see how they wouldn't franchise him, at the very least, unless their cap is as bad as ours. They have Watson playing on a rookie deal (and Hopkins too, I believe), so they may be able to get away with overpaying on a 1-year deal to see if they can make a run in the postseason.

I'd almost be more interested in Mercilus - he'll come cheaper, and with a chip on his shoulder to prove that he wasn't just on cleanup duty.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2019, 10:45 AM by KingJones.)

No thanks. He'll cost WAY too much, injury prone and overrated. If I was going to spend that kind of money in FA on defense I would go all in after CJ Moseley.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Out of curiosity I looked up the overall defense ranking for the 2018 regular season. I am somewhat surprised the Texans were rated at #12 ... Behind all 3 other AFC South teams was even a bit more surprising. I knew the Jags were near the top, and just figured with all the talent that the Texans have that they would also be in the top 5. I'm not sure Clowney is a difference maker worthy of the kind of contract that Donald, and Mack were given last season. I see the Texans letting him play next season under the tag. But, I would take a Texans fan opinion over mine, so mine isn't worth much at all.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?t...447263-n=1

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2019, 08:44 AM by BattleRedBlood.)

(01-25-2019, 04:22 PM)Sammy Wrote: Out of curiosity I looked up the overall defense ranking for the 2018 regular season. I am somewhat surprised the Texans were rated at #12 ... Behind all 3 other AFC South teams was even a bit more surprising. I knew the Jags were near the top, and just figured with all the talent that the Texans have that they would also be in the top 5.   I'm not sure Clowney is a difference maker worthy of the kind of contract that Donald, and Mack were given last season. I see the Texans letting him play next season under the tag. But, I would take a Texans fan opinion over mine, so mine isn't worth much at all.

My opinion, is that when healthy, he is a beast. That said, I don't think his knees will hold out the length of a long term contract. I would prefer to see him tagged and traded, or tagged and accept a better offer elsewhere giving Houston two 1st round picks. I like the guy, but in my opinion he isn't worth the money in the long term. He and Watt played the majority of the season together in '18, and our defense still faltered.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2019, 09:08 AM by JagsorDie.)

(03-07-2019, 08:44 AM)BattleRedBlood Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 04:22 PM)Sammy Wrote: Out of curiosity I looked up the overall defense ranking for the 2018 regular season. I am somewhat surprised the Texans were rated at #12 ... Behind all 3 other AFC South teams was even a bit more surprising. I knew the Jags were near the top, and just figured with all the talent that the Texans have that they would also be in the top 5.   I'm not sure Clowney is a difference maker worthy of the kind of contract that Donald, and Mack were given last season. I see the Texans letting him play next season under the tag. But, I would take a Texans fan opinion over mine, so mine isn't worth much at all.

My opinion, is that when healthy, he is a beast. That said, I don't think his knees will hold out the length of a long term contract. I would prefer to see him tagged and traded, or tagged and accept a better offer elsewhere giving Houston two 1st round picks. I like the guy, but in my opinion he isn't worth the money in the long term. He and Watt played the majority of the season together in '18, and our defense still faltered.
Not a bad take on the guy. I agree. The only thing I don't see happening is you getting a first for him. Not sure if that's what you were suggesting but I don't see that. Mainly for the same reasons you are more open to trade than contract, not because of lack of production or talent

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...8174212098

9 sacks (2 vs Jags and 2 vs Colts) and 1 FF....No thanks. Too expensive for this and not really sure about his long term health.

He'll go to the Patriots and they will win another SB

The secondary got hit with injuries and went to crap..

As far as Clowney goes, his knee is a ticking time bomb.. according to our resident surgeon on our home board.. Clowney's microfracture repair only has a certain shelf life and is now on borrowed time with a degenerative knee.. That's why Houston is hesitant about signing him to a long term contract and would rather carry him on a year to year basis or just trade him if another team is foolish enough to sign him long term and offer up draft picks.