Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Deficit to hit $897 Billion this year, Debt headed towards highest level since WWII

(02-01-2019, 09:32 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-31-2019, 06:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If that happens, we're most likely screwed, no matter what we spend. In that case, aliens had the technology to get here from light years away. That tells me they will probably have weapons much more superior to anything we've ever dreamed of.
Oh I'm sorry.... Do they aliens have Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith? I rest my case.

NEVER FORGET!!!

[Image: tenor.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-01-2019, 12:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 09:32 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Oh I'm sorry.... Do they aliens have Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith? I rest my case.

NEVER FORGET!!!

[Image: tenor.gif]

Pressing F for respect. FFFFFFFF godspeed alien abduction guy. This Bud's for you.

This thread is exactly how I picture budget debate in Congress. A lot of fire early on, only to agree to dim the lights and watch Independence Day in their jammies!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(02-01-2019, 04:49 PM)B2hibry Wrote: This thread is exactly how I picture budget debate in Congress. A lot of fire early on, only to agree to dim the lights and watch Independence Day in their jammies!

Pullman/Goldblum 2020

(02-01-2019, 06:47 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 04:49 PM)B2hibry Wrote: This thread is exactly how I picture budget debate in Congress. A lot of fire early on, only to agree to dim the lights and watch Independence Day in their jammies!

Pullman/Goldblum 2020
Vote Independent! Pullman/Goldblum 2020 ...’Aliens can suck it’ or is that to harsh in the current climate?

(02-01-2019, 07:14 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 06:47 PM)TJBender Wrote: Pullman/Goldblum 2020
Vote Independent! Pullman/Goldblum 2020 ...’Aliens can suck it’ or is that to harsh in the current climate?

Pullman/Goldblum 2020: Forget the fat lady.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2019, 09:01 PM by mikesez.)

well they could have watched Independence day about four hundred times during the 35 days that it took them to pass the last budget.
You know, I actually like your story even better in light of this fact.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-01-2019, 09:01 PM)mikesez Wrote:

well they could have watched Independence day about four hundred times during the 35 days that it took them to pass the last budget.
You know, I actually like your story even better in light of this fact.

Here is my counter point to your point:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201...ss-budget/
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

The February 2019 books are closed and the March 2019 books will be closed soon. So far we see a tiny reduction in nominal dollars comparing the previous 12 months to the 12 months that came before them. If you factor inflation, federal government receipts have declined in real terms by 2.5%.
Receipts are down.
They are down before you even look at inflation.
Meanwhile, inflation-adjusted, spending is up 3%. Most of that increase is probably due to Medicare always paying doctors more and more, and people aging into social security.

(03-31-2019, 09:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: The February 2019 books are closed and the March 2019 books will be closed soon.  So far we see a tiny reduction in nominal dollars comparing the previous 12 months to the 12 months that came before them.  If you factor inflation, federal government receipts have declined in real terms by 2.5%.  
Receipts are down.
Meanwhile, inflation-adjusted, spending is up 3%.  Most of that increase is probably due to Medicare always paying doctors more and more, and people aging into social security.

Marathon, not a sprint. Don’t forget to add in government shutdown. I think this has been hashed out with you before. The US GDP has risen beyond historical highs two years running. In any case, the slight spending increases as of late are actually debt. 

There are two option within the economy today if we are to address “receipts” more long term. Buy/sell more debt or increases corporate, personal taxes, increase social program wage deductions or mix of all. All could destabilize in some way. There are folks way more educated in the field than you or I that have chased this balance since the gold standard went away. 

What are you looking to say in your post that isn’t known?

Over leverage? Please. Speak more about this.

(03-31-2019, 09:04 AM)mikesez Wrote: The February 2019 books are closed and the March 2019 books will be closed soon.  So far we see a tiny reduction in nominal dollars comparing the previous 12 months to the 12 months that came before them.  If you factor inflation, federal government receipts have declined in real terms by 2.5%.  
Receipts are down.
Meanwhile, inflation-adjusted, spending is up 3%.  Most of that increase is probably due to Medicare always paying doctors more and more, and people aging into social security.

Lol, did you know the Medicare fee schedule is still Sequestered?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-31-2019, 11:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
Receipts are down.

Lol, did you know the Medicare fee schedule is still Sequestered?

LOL did you know that it was already too high?
LOL did you know that people age into qualifying for Medicare every day?

(03-31-2019, 12:32 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-31-2019, 11:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, did you know the Medicare fee schedule is still Sequestered?

LOL did you know that it was already too high?
LOL did you know that people age into qualifying for Medicare every day?

Lol, you're so funny.

(05-03-2019, 02:26 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Do-able?

https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/dr-rand...ced-budget

Cuts defense... Check
Leaves social security alone... Check
Cuts lots of other stuff equally... Check
Is proposed during a booming economy rather than during a recession... Check

Checks all my boxes.  I'm on board.

(05-03-2019, 02:40 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-03-2019, 02:26 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Do-able?

https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/dr-rand...ced-budget

Cuts defense... Check

Regarding the part in bold.  I can somewhat agree as long as baseline budgeting goes away.  I have seen so much wasted since back in my Navy days because commands generally have a "use it or lose it" attitude towards money allocated to them.

What I am saying is, I don't mind cutting spending on defense if it's rational.  However, defense is one of the top priorities when it comes to the national budget.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(05-03-2019, 03:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(05-03-2019, 02:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: Cuts defense... Check

Regarding the part in bold.  I can somewhat agree as long as baseline budgeting goes away.  I have seen so much wasted since back in my Navy days because commands generally have a "use it or lose it" attitude towards money allocated to them.

What I am saying is, I don't mind cutting spending on defense if it's rational.  However, defense is one of the top priorities when it comes to the national budget.

The biggest hold up in getting serious about deficit spending
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(05-03-2019, 03:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(05-03-2019, 02:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: Cuts defense... Check

It's not just the Navy. My ex-wife used to work in a very grant-dependent field, and one of the grant requirements was that if every penny was spent by the end of the grant period, no further documentation was required. If there was one penny left, they had to document and provide receipts and expense reports for every penny spent. Because they could buy just about anything except computers, it was very common for the office she worked at to get all new desks at the end of one grant, new chairs at the end of another, a new coffee maker at the end of a third, so on and so forth. Kind of sickening, actually.

Unfortunately, any government entity is going to have a "spend or lose it" mentality. Usually, the end of the fiscal year results in a mass government spending spree. It's the very nature of how the funding system has been set up. Agencies have been conditioned to believe if we don't spend it, we can't justify the same level or greater next cycle.