Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ed Oliver

(03-07-2019, 05:10 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 04:51 PM)JackCity Wrote: As a DT? Sure, still good. As a pass rusher, not so much. Yea thats essentially the crux of what I just said, the main source of pressure on the inside now is Bryan and whatever Calais gives when he shifts in.

I disagree and we'll get to find out this season when he's asked to rush the passer more often and not just focus on the run.

We also haven't even had FA or the draft... So we don't have a clue who might be added still..

(03-07-2019, 04:58 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Jackson was vastly underrated by the Jags fan base.

He's a very good player, but he's simply a cap casualty. I'm sure most of us would love to keep him around but there's bigger fish to fry with his cap $$.

yes thats why I prefaced it with "as it stands now".

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-07-2019, 05:16 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 05:10 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I disagree and we'll get to find out this season when he's asked to rush the passer more often and not just focus on the run.

We also haven't even had FA or the draft... So we don't have a clue who might be added still..

He's a very good player, but he's simply a cap casualty. I'm sure most of us would love to keep him around but there's bigger fish to fry with his cap $$.

yes thats why I prefaced it with "as it stands now".

Since you're so worried about Bryan, here's a little nugget.

https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/...1991848960

https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/...8798971910

(03-08-2019, 04:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 05:16 PM)JackCity Wrote: yes thats why I prefaced it with "as it stands now".

Since you're so worried about Bryan, here's a little nugget.

Yeah I've already seen his pressure stats. Based off the past season I don't think anyone should be expecting Taven as being ready to become the main source of interior pressure for a team. 

Can he develop this offseason and take the next step? Sure, he just hasn't shown enough to presume that yet. When/if he does, I'll commend him for it

(03-08-2019, 04:43 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 04:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Since you're so worried about Bryan, here's a little nugget.

Yeah I've already seen his pressure stats. Based off the past season I don't think anyone should be expecting Taven as being ready to become the main source of interior pressure for a team. 

Can he develop this offseason and take the next step? Sure, he just hasn't shown enough to presume that yet. When/if he does, I'll commend him for it

You mean based on last season where he spent most of it playing out of place, in a position hes never played in his entire life?

(03-08-2019, 05:03 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 04:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah I've already seen his pressure stats. Based off the past season I don't think anyone should be expecting Taven as being ready to become the main source of interior pressure for a team. 

You mean based on last season where he spent most of it playing out of place, in a position hes never played in his entire life?

Yes based on last season where he barely played at his own position as a rookie..the position he's expected to provide most of the disruption from this upcoming season. 

You are aware that's an argument FOR me right? I'd like to have seen more/better play before presuming he can be that guy year 2..and again, I hope he does get there next year.

(03-08-2019, 05:15 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 05:03 PM)Eric1 Wrote: You mean based on last season where he spent most of it playing out of place, in a position hes never played in his entire life?

Yes based on last season where he barely played at his own position as a rookie..the position he's expected to provide most of the disruption from this upcoming season. 

You are aware that's an argument FOR me right? I'd like to have seen more/better play before presuming he can be that guy year 2..and again, I hope he does get there next year.

Because they had one of the better 3T in the league still... You really expected them to bench Malik for a raw rookie straight out of the gate huh? That's really your argument?

(03-08-2019, 05:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 05:15 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yes based on last season where he barely played at his own position as a rookie..the position he's expected to provide most of the disruption from this upcoming season. 

Because they had one of the better 3T in the league still... You really expected them to bench Malik for a raw rookie straight out of the gate huh? That's really your argument?

What? I don't know how you took any of that from what I just said. 

Bryan was never going to contribute or play alot as a rookie. Before I'm comfortable with him as the main source of interior pressure I'd like to see him doing it first i.e without actually seeing him do it we don't know if he can be it yet. His rookie year gave us tiny flashes of his AA but that's about it. 

I don't get the opposition to not being totally sold on Bryan being a good pass rusher in a key role in year 2 based on everything we've seen. We all knew he's a raw pass rusher who would take time to develop when we drafted him.

(03-08-2019, 06:11 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 05:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Because they had one of the better 3T in the league still... You really expected them to bench Malik for a raw rookie straight out of the gate huh? That's really your argument?

What? I don't know how you took any of that from what I just said. 

Bryan was never going to contribute or play alot as a rookie. Before I'm comfortable with him as the main source of interior pressure I'd like to see him doing it first i.e without actually seeing him do it we don't know if he can be it yet. His rookie year gave us tiny flashes of his AA but that's about it. 

I don't get the opposition to not being totally sold on Bryan being a good pass rusher in a key role in year 2 based on everything we've seen. We all knew he's a raw pass rusher who would take time to develop when we drafted him.

You said that he barely played at his position this past season, and that's because of Malik, as well as they wanted to try Bryan out at the 5T. After that didn't really pan out and the season was well out of reach, they finally started playing guys for the future. Of course he wasn't going to see a lot of time at 3T. We all knew Bryan was a draft pick for the future and not year 1.

And that's exactly it, you keep saying "based on what we've seen", yet we haven't seen much of Bryan (due to how stacked this DL was) to really make that judgement. Which is why it's dumb to call him a good pass rusher, or a bad one at this point in time. You saying that you just don't see it when it comes to him, doesn't make any sense, because hes barely got his toe wet. As well as the fact that DL players rarely produce in their rookie year anyways.

The little bit we got to see of him at the 3T should get people a little excited and hopeful to see what kind of step he'll take next season.

(03-08-2019, 06:31 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 06:11 PM)JackCity Wrote: What? I don't know how you took any of that from what I just said. 

You said that he barely played at his position this past season, and that's because of Malik, as well as they wanted to try Bryan out at the 5T. After that didn't really pan out and the season was well out of reach, they finally started playing guys for the future. Of course he wasn't going to see a lot of time at 3T. We all knew Bryan was a draft pick for the future and not year 1.

And that's exactly it, you keep saying "based on what we've seen", yet we haven't seen much of Bryan (due to how stacked this DL was) to really make that judgement. Which is why it's dumb to call him a good pass rusher, or a bad one at this point in time. You saying that you just don't see it when it comes to him, doesn't make any sense, because hes barely got his toe wet. As well as the fact that DL players rarely produce in their rookie year anyways.

The little bit we got to see of him at the 3T should get people a little excited and hopeful to see what kind of step he'll take next season.

Yeah that's just the reality of what his rookie season was. That wasn't a surprise nor would I have expected him to play ahead of or take snaps off Malik. This wasn't news, it just means we don't have much to go off even independent from his actual performance. 

I'm not sure I can lay out my thought process here clearer than I have. Bryan is a raw pass rusher who we knew will take a while to develop, he didn't show much in his limited time as a rookie so I'm not going to expect him to suddenly become a good pass rusher in year 2. He is a ? mark at that spot as everything stands right now, and that's a very important spot for our defense.  

That doesn't mean he won't ever be good nor does it mean he won't play well and develop quickly. It just means I'm not gonna expect it. Until we actually see it happen, it's a ? mark. 

I have the same thought process with DJ Chark. I'm not gonna expect DJ Chark to be a good NFL receiver in year 2 based on the limited amount of reps we saw him have as a rookie. If he does great but thats not my expectation.

Watching more of Ed Oliver, really wouldn't mind taking him at 7. He easily goes top 5 in a draft with less generational defense talent

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2019, 07:18 AM by The Real Marty.)

This is a funny thread.   JNev starts if off with "I think we should look at taking Ed Oliver."  

And that's the last we hear from JNev until 3 pages later, when he gives the thread a little goose with "I really wouldn't mind taking Ed Oliver."

What if Bryan and Oliver become the new Stroud and Henderson would you guys want that? if they went that way
No Fun

(03-21-2019, 08:25 AM)nhiverson Wrote: What if Bryan and Oliver become the new Stroud and Henderson would you guys want that? if they went that way

I just don't see that happening, ever.

(03-21-2019, 08:25 AM)nhiverson Wrote: What if Bryan and Oliver become the new Stroud and Henderson would you guys want that? if they went that way

To me Stroud/Henderson is Taven/Williams. I would be stoked if somehow Williams fell to us. Even with our offensive needs.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-21-2019, 10:32 AM)Dimson Wrote:

To me Stroud/Henderson is Taven/Williams. I would be stoked if somehow Williams fell to us. Even with our offensive needs.

I just don't see Taven as ever being anything other than "decent" at best. I hope I'm wrong though.

(03-21-2019, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 10:32 AM)Dimson Wrote: To me Stroud/Henderson is Taven/Williams. I would be stoked if somehow Williams fell to us. Even with our offensive needs.

I just don't see Taven as ever being anything other than "decent" at best. I hope I'm wrong though.

He was playing out of position most of last year. When he moved to the 3 tech, he really flashed and showed his potential.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-21-2019, 07:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: This is a funny thread.   JNev starts if off with "I think we should look at taking Ed Oliver."  

And that's the last we hear from JNev until 3 pages later, when he gives the thread a little goose with "I really wouldn't mind taking Ed Oliver."

Glad you're amused, I'll be here all day.

(03-21-2019, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 10:32 AM)Dimson Wrote: To me Stroud/Henderson is Taven/Williams. I would be stoked if somehow Williams fell to us. Even with our offensive needs.

You never know.  However, he's strong, he's very quick, and from all reports he has a great attitude and works hard.  Also, as a rookie, he was playing behind some really great players last year.  When he did get in there, I saw a few plays that led me to believe he could very well justify that late first round pick.   So I'm a little more optimistic than you are.

Oliver looking like a beast

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...ic-pro-day

He's a future all pro, Hof. We better draft this guy at #7