Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: 2019 starter? (merged)

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2018, 02:48 PM by imtheblkranger.)

A few reasons:

He was pretty good the first few weeks of the year and the end of last year when we had a decent OL. We had a top pass blocking OL the first few weeks and we were 3-1 with him. Not a stretch to put a lot of blame on the OL. Look at the teams with bad OLs this year, most have a bad record.

Keeping Marrone (as is indicated) doubt they make a huge QB move. 

The cost of cutting him, even post June 1st, and signing a vet is expensive. Flacco, Stafford, even Teddy aren't coming cheap. And we all know the out for Blake is ideally 2020, financially. 

We'll draft a QB, that's a given I believe at this point. But the team likes Blake. They rallied around him against Miami. I don't expect them to bring an expensive stop gap. Not a traditional Jags style move.

The offense was decimated by injuries and Hackett was questionable in his game planning. We all know Bortles needs rollouts, RPOs, etc to utilize his real skillset. A new OC may do just that.

This is just my opinion, but I believe it's the most likely scenario. Bortles plays one more year/until the rookie takes over and then we cut him after the out in his contract comes up. Is it ideal? Probably not. But unless they sign a vet to a long term deal, this is what I expect to happen.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Is Bortles playing next week? You guys think they whoop the texans?
[Image: incredulous.gif]

If they beat the Texans, for better or worse, this is the most likely scenario

(12-24-2018, 02:58 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Is Bortles playing next week? You guys think they whoop the texans?

Whoop no, beat yes

Bortles as starter next year isn’t going to be a popular thought. Seems many people on here think that by getting rid of him magically makes all of our problems go away and that the 5 or so mil we will save would put us in a better position to sign someone better ?. I honestly think that we should stay the course and draft a QB in the upcoming draft and allow the guy to DEVELOP for at least a year. Invest heavily in the draft on offense to get the guy some protection and weapons. Fill the impending holes on defense and then in two years if Bortles is under achieving, cut ties with him with less cap penalty. I know that people want a Super Bowl overnight, but the patriots weren’t built in a day... and I also suspect that if the above does happen, I think we make the playoffs with Bortles next year as long as we aren’t decimated by injuries again.

Bortle is gone.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(12-24-2018, 02:58 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Is Bortles playing next week? You guys think they whoop the texans?

Ain't no way the Jags can beat the tinhorns with Chris Reed, Erick Flowers and Pat Omameh starting anywhere on their o-line. 

Miami's front four ate their lunch and the wonder-cows will do worse.

(12-24-2018, 02:43 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: A few reasons:

He was pretty good the first few weeks of the year and the end of last year when we had a decent OL. We had a top pass blocking OL the first few weeks and we were 3-1 with him. Not a stretch to put a lot of blame on the OL. Look at the teams with bad OLs this year, most have a bad record.

Keeping Marrone (as is indicated) doubt they make a huge QB move. 

The cost of cutting him, even post June 1st, and signing a vet is expensive. Flacco, Stafford, even Teddy aren't coming cheap. And we all know the out for Blake is ideally 2020, financially. 

We'll draft a QB, that's a given I believe at this point. But the team likes Blake. They rallied around him against Miami. I don't expect them to bring an expensive stop gap. Not a traditional Jags style move.

The offense was decimated by injuries and Hackett was questionable in his game planning. We all know Bortles needs rollouts, RPOs, etc to utilize his real skillset. A new OC may do just that.

This is just my opinion, but I believe it's the most likely scenario. Bortles plays one more year/until the rookie takes over and then we cut him after the out in his contract comes up. Is it ideal? Probably not. But unless they sign a vet to a long term deal, this is what I expect to happen.

Keeping Marrone isn't an indication we won't make a big QB move.   

Its much more likely Blake is gone , that's why he was benched.

Blake's contract and mobility are the only "reasons" why there's any sliver of possibility he sticks around as a bridge QB till a rookie is ready to take over.

I think the odds are more in favor of that bridge QB being someone else.

If the next OC gets really clever with Bortles as a bridge, maybe it could work out without disastrous consequences, but I don't really have much optimism in that plan.

(12-24-2018, 04:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Blake's contract and mobility are the only "reasons" why there's any sliver of possibility he sticks around as a bridge QB till a rookie is ready to take over.

If the next OC gets really clever with Bortles as a bridge, maybe it could work out without disastrous consequences, but I don't really have much optimism in that plan.

Agreed.  I still think Bortles is gone, but, they have to get him to rework that contract in some way to reduce his impact on 2020.  I just don’t see that happening.   

So, it’s not an absolute given he’s gone.  

Someone mentioned above that Marrone being retained means Blake is back are off target completely.  Doug inherited Blake.  That’s not his guy. He’s Caldwell’s legacy, and all indications are Dave is done.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Lol, someone's hit the Christmas drinks early!

Bortles is done. The O has not been better with Kessler but when Bortles still sits, you know he's done.

The only possible way he stays is they are going rookie QB and what Blake to realize he isn't the starter. It's a true QB competition but that's the only way. And it's really unlikely.

The Bortles experience is done.

(12-24-2018, 05:05 PM)FBT Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 04:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: ...

Someone mentioned above that Marrone being retained means Blake is back are off target completely.  Doug inherited Blake.  That’s not his guy. He’s Caldwell’s legacy, and all indications are Dave is done.

Actually the same source indicating Marrone is staying indicated the same for Caldwell. (more or less)

Quote:Shad Khan is not panicking, sources say, nor is he looking for a scapegoat. Less than a year after locking in his entire upper-level power structure to contract extensions, he wants to see it through.
^ Rapoport

Caldwell was among those extensions.

(12-24-2018, 05:05 PM)FBT Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 04:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Blake's contract and mobility are the only "reasons" why there's any sliver of possibility he sticks around as a bridge QB till a rookie is ready to take over.

Agreed.  I still think Bortles is gone, but, they have to get him to rework that contract in some way to reduce his impact on 2020.  I just don’t see that happening.   

So, it’s not an absolute given he’s gone.  

They don't have to get him to re work his contract to get rid of him. The cap is healthy enough to absorb it

Mentioned this in another thread but the team has put itself in a bind by insinuating Blake is done. But the problem is we dont save much money getting rid of him(what is it $5M?). And since we'd use that money on his replacement, its possible we dont find anyone better at that price. So we'd be left paying the same amount of money for worse QB play. All for the sake of "moving on". That seems dumb. At that point we should just keep him. But how do you do that after leaking word that he is a goner? Looks foolish.

But if we are hellbent on releasing him, hopefully we can find an equivalent, if not better, player for that $5M.

(12-24-2018, 05:25 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Mentioned this in another thread but the team has put itself in a bind by insinuating Blake is done. But the problem is we dont save much money getting rid of him(what is it $5M?). And since we'd use that money on his replacement, its possible we dont find anyone better at that price. So we'd be left paying the same amount of money for worse QB play. All for the sake of "moving on". That seems dumb. At that point we should just keep him. But how do you do that after leaking word that he is a goner? Looks foolish.

But if we are hellbent on releasing him, hopefully we can find an equivalent, if not better, player for that $5M.

Your points are well received, but they really put themselves in a bind by extending him. 

Besides, I haven't really gotten any message from the "team" that they've actually declared "Blake is done."  
That seems to be just assumption from media. 
Have any team staff or administrators been quoted with anything that supports that? 
I thought Marrone simply was doing what plenty of HC's with their butt on the line have done over the years. 
(making changes like firing coordinators and benching QBs)

(12-24-2018, 05:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 05:05 PM)FBT Wrote: ...

Actually the same source indicating Marrone is staying indicated the same for Caldwell. (more or less)

Quote:Shad Khan is not panicking, sources say, nor is he looking for a scapegoat. Less than a year after locking in his entire upper-level power structure to contract extensions, he wants to see it through.
^ Rapoport

Caldwell was among those extensions.

Ugh failure is an option it would seem. Oh well that one year with lucky breaks was good. At least the defense is capable.  Good thing defense is what drives the NFL, we would be toast otherwise.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-24-2018, 05:25 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Mentioned this in another thread but the team has put itself in a bind by insinuating Blake is done. But the problem is we dont save much money getting rid of him(what is it $5M?). And since we'd use that money on his replacement, its possible we dont find anyone better at that price. So we'd be left paying the same amount of money for worse QB play. All for the sake of "moving on". That seems dumb. At that point we should just keep him. But how do you do that after leaking word that he is a goner? Looks foolish.

this

Brunnell says Bortles will he playing for another team. This thread is closed for discussion.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jagu...ars-future

(12-24-2018, 07:09 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Brunnell says Bortles will he playing for another team. This thread is closed for discussion.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jagu...ars-future

His opinion counts as much as yours or mine.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Whatever vet we can get is unlikely to be better than Blake.

If the last few weeks have shown us anything it's having an average starter is better than having a backup playing.

If we were sensible we would start Blake and draft a replacement and pick up another to fight for the job in training camp open competition.