Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: 2019 starter? (merged)

I would be more than surprised if Blake Bortles is back with the Jaguars for the 2019 season. The combination of Bortles rocky history with the Jaguars prior to the 2018 season and Bortles being benched for over 3 1/2 games this season makes it hard to picture Bortles even being a bridge for a QB prospect from the draft.

Even factoring in the enormous number of injuries on Offense this season for the Jags, it feels like a situation in which it would be best for both parties to go in different directions.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-25-2018, 08:29 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-25-2018, 07:56 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Oh? What indications might those be? 

They're keeping Doug, so I'm guessing they keep Dave too.

It's time for NFL relegation. Jokanovic leads Fulham to magical promotion season last year, then he gets fired after less than half a season this year year. Caldwell has 5 out of 6 terrible years and people think he is staying for a 7th year.

Make winning and the money tied to winning be the driving force of your franchise. Shad's raking in the dough either way in the NFL so he has put that on the back burner.

Are you referring to the record? I'm pretty sure that Gus was responsible for the record in four out of those six years. We don't know whether or not Caldwell could have fired Gus before he did, but it was clear Gus (and Babich) were a big factor in the Jags failure in 2015. If I were Khan and knew that Caldwell was the one defending Gus, then I'd fire him. OTOH, if it was Khan who insisted Gus be allowed to play out the four years he was promised, then Khan has no reason to blame Caldwell for the first four years.

As far as the draft, while the 1st round picks have been a disappointment overall, Caldwell only had one really bad draft, in 2015. Gene Smith's scouts were still on board for the 2013 draft (which was a bad draft year for the NFL in any case) so give Caldwell a mulligan on that one. Fournette was a reach, but we don't know how much Coughlin factored into that decision, and we got a starting LT and WR out of that draft too.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2018, 09:09 PM by Upper.)

A GM should be tied to his HC and QB choices. Both of Caldwell's two most important choices failed. That should be more than enough.

And sorry but I continue to reject this revisionist history about the 2013 NFL draft. It might not go down as one of the stronger drafts, but it's not like it was nearly bad enough that Dave should be given a free pass like he frequently has been. There were still a whole lot of very good players from that draft, and Dave missed every single one of them. It's a major bad mark on his record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_Draft

Bridge QBs? Who cares about them?

Draft a rookie and start them. Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, Darnold and Rosen are all starting and getting valuable experience. Sure they will have some bumps along the way but the Jags will have a strong D once again with a running game. That’s what you want for a young QB.

Cut Blake. Move on.

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2018, 10:07 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Then we end 2019 5-11. Shad Khans choice of if he wants a loser at the helm of his franchise.

(12-25-2018, 07:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-25-2018, 07:16 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: lol you are gonna be sad for all next season then.

No I won't, unlike some of you I cheer for who is here. It just seems that you guys have so much sheer hate for Bortles that things that aren't his fault are taken out on him and you aren't going to be satisfied as you think you will, just like with Cody and his failure. Bortles is better than Kessler and half the current NFL starters and here at a reasonable cost for one more year, so it wont be surprising if he stays.

Would enjoy hearing who half of those QB's are that Blake is better than. Thanks
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

What back up can the Jags sign for 4.5M that’s better than Bortles? That’s really the only question that should be discussed. If no one can be signed that’s better... you keep Bortles... really that simple

I can't recall the last time a 5 year starter was kept on as a back up, transitioning into a new year. I believe Blake is done as a Jaguar. The best thing they can do for him is cut him early in the offseason to give him the best chance to land with another team as a back up.

(12-26-2018, 02:12 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: What back up can the Jags sign for 4.5M that’s better than Bortles? That’s really the only question that should be discussed. If no one can be signed that’s better... you keep Bortles... really that simple

The one caveat to that is if you can find someone willing to trade a reasonable pick for him. That might sound like something that would be difficult to do but there are always teams looking for an answer at that position.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-26-2018, 09:52 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 02:12 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: What back up can the Jags sign for 4.5M that’s better than Bortles? That’s really the only question that should be discussed. If no one can be signed that’s better... you keep Bortles... really that simple

The one caveat to that is if you can find someone willing to trade a reasonable pick for him. That might sound like something that would be difficult to do but there are always teams looking for an answer at that position.

Gabbert, We got a pick for him, can hopefully get one for BB.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(12-25-2018, 08:29 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-25-2018, 07:56 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Oh? What indications might those be? 

They're keeping Doug, so I'm guessing they keep Dave too.

It's time for NFL relegation. Jokanovic leads Fulham to magical promotion season last year, then he gets fired after less than half a season this year year. Caldwell has 5 out of 6 terrible years and people think he is staying for a 7th year.

Make winning and the money tied to winning be the driving force of your franchise. Shad's raking in the dough either way in the NFL so he has put that on the back burner.
Don't forget about Coughlin. He is as just as responsible for where the team is and who is on the roster. If Coughlin didn't want Bortles, he wouldn't be on the roster. You can't blame just Caldwell when Coughlin has final say and agrees with Caldwell

(12-26-2018, 10:20 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 09:52 AM)hb1148 Wrote: The one caveat to that is if you can find someone willing to trade a reasonable pick for him. That might sound like something that would be difficult to do but there are always teams looking for an answer at that position.

Gabbert, We got a pick for him, can hopefully get one for BB.

Gabbert was still on his rookie deal and had less than a full season of starts. I'm not sure nobody would trade for Bortles, I mean, the jaguars traded for Kessler, but the contract makes it less likely.

(12-26-2018, 11:05 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 10:20 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: Gabbert, We got a pick for him, can hopefully get one for BB.

Gabbert was still on his rookie deal and had less than a full season of starts. I'm not sure nobody would trade for Bortles, I mean, the jaguars traded for Kessler, but the contract makes it less likely.

Somebody like Gruden might be willing to trade for him if they do indeed move on from Derek Carr. He's said they wouldn't but we'll know for sure come trade time.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-26-2018, 11:05 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 10:20 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: Gabbert, We got a pick for him, can hopefully get one for BB.

My thoughts exactly. If he was still on a rookie contract and wasn't an almost 20mil cap hit I could see them getting something decent for him. But paying that much for a back up (which is likely what he will become if he leaves) and giving up a dp for it as well will take a pretty stupid gm to pull off. 

It would almost make you wonder if there is a way for us to trade him to someone almost for free just for another team to take the cap hit off our hands lol.

(12-26-2018, 10:29 AM)wrong_box Wrote:
(12-25-2018, 08:29 PM)Upper Wrote: It's time for NFL relegation. Jokanovic leads Fulham to magical promotion season last year, then he gets fired after less than half a season this year year. Caldwell has 5 out of 6 terrible years and people think he is staying for a 7th year.

Don't forget about Coughlin. He is as just as responsible for where the team is and who is on the roster. If Coughlin didn't want Bortles, he wouldn't be on the roster. You can't blame just Caldwell when Coughlin has final say and agrees with Caldwell

I haven't forgot about Coughlin don't worry. I have said full measure so many times I'm starting to annoy myself.

(12-26-2018, 09:52 AM)hb1148 Wrote:

Very true.

(12-24-2018, 05:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
Quote:Shad Khan is not panicking, sources say, nor is he looking for a scapegoat. Less than a year after locking in his entire upper-level power structure to contract extensions, he wants to see it through.
^ Rapoport

Caldwell was among those extensions.

I had this feeling about midway through the season. Season turned out worse than I thought so I joined the fire everyone train.

But somewhere when the slide began and the injuries started mounting I remember figuring that it'd be the perfect storm of an excuse to buy everyone another season.
Firstly all the extensions were just signed.
Secondly regardless of how much people hate certain players, trends, coaching styles, etc.... the injuries piling up in the way they did certainly had a huge impact on the season.

Not saying I agree with it... and I wouldn't rule anything out. But if I'm Shad, I take a hard look at everything before deciding anything after the season is over.
How much better could the offense have been healthy?
How much do guys like Dave and Tom have to do with the depth not being there?
How much does a team being penalized 10 times for 100+ yards every game factor into coaching.....

Then he should start with Tom. If you're keeping him... you let him decide what to do from there.
If he keeps Dave, they keep Doug... he still has to retool his coach staff one would think. Hack is already gone... Maybe Wash too?

ugh.... I'm feeling nauseous now...

I really like Bortles, and I was truly hoping he would take the next step as a QB after showing improvement last season. However, nobody can reasonably argue that he wasn't a mistake... He shouldn't have been signed to an extension, and money definitely should not have been pushed out into the future on that contract. He Did get better last season, but looking back after that ridiculously bad 2016 season, it's easy to see that not drafting his potential replacement was a huge mistake as well.

I would be even more shocked if Blake was still on the roster to start next season than I was that the team stood pat at the QB position after 2016. Bottom line is, teams don't typically keep franchise defining mistakes in the building.

(12-25-2018, 10:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bridge QBs? Who cares about them?

Draft a rookie and start them. Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, Darnold and Rosen are all starting and getting valuable experience. Sure they will have some bumps along the way but the Jags will have a strong D once again with a running game. That’s what you want for a young QB.

Cut Blake. Move on.

Indeed. If we're drafting a top 10 QB in the first round we don't need a bridge. You start the rook, take the lumps and build around him.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018, 01:18 PM by MoJagFan.)

I think we are screwed if this happens.... that said the organization has their own ideas so I matter zero to them. Going to be a painful offseason.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.