Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles will be a top 10 to 15 QB....Let's debate

Blake will be lucky if he is even starting 2-3 years from now
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2019, 06:50 PM by jagherd.)

(02-11-2019, 04:46 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:  I know he isnt a world beater, maybe its still the high from the playoff run;

^ There it is: the "playoff run/ AFCC Game" stuff yet again. Geez

Mark Sanchez played in TWO AFCC Games  (consecutive years IIRC). 
Yes, Mr. Butt-Fumble himself. He sure turned out really good, huh? 
Sanchez went to 2 AFCC games on a team with:
- An extremely good defense with an elite CB
- A strong running game
Sound familiar?

Grossman played in a SB. Rex Grossman.

I know many will still play the "Bortles made it to the AFCC, so he's gotta be good" card. To each their own, but it just doesn't sway me one bit.

Mark Sanchez 
Rex Grossman

(02-11-2019, 06:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 05:35 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I want the 15 QBs that will be better than Blake once the elites retire.  ...

Active QBs that will undoubtedly play better than Bortles in the next couple of years:

Mahomes
Brees 
Rivers
Luck
Rodgers
Wilson
Goff
Ryan
Rothlisberger
Brady 
Watson
Mayfield
Cousins 
Wentz
Newton
Stafford
Trubisky
Winston (under Arians)
Darnold

QB's that have a high percentage chance of playing better than Bortles in the coming years:

Eli Manning 
Alex Smith (if he heals up)
Joe Flacco
Tannehill
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Dak Prescott
Mariota

Plus a whole slew of new QBs from the upcoming '19 and '20 drafts. 

I'm not even dealing with this "when the elites retire" business. They aren't retired and Blake's contract would end before they do anyway. Makes no difference in this discussion of where he lands in the grand scheme of things. He has to compete against them still.

I hear ya but you're betting alot on plenty of QBs who i think have way more but have way underperformed.  Eli, Flacco, Winston, MM, etc.  I'll just say im the odd man out then.  I cant agree with these QBs, being better without seeing the glaring reason why.  

They have an OC and playmakers to help them on Offense.  Blake has no gameplan to work with, no receivers to throw to or go get any type of pass without perfect timing and placement.  I just cant think that with all of the help these other QBs get and the fact that they arent lighting up the league, they are sooooo much better.  Hell, give me blake from the Pats game and the run in dec 2017 and ill have a 4k passer with consistent playoff berths.  Thats just me though.  I also know im the same person that almost died when we took blake out and started passing with kessler like a foot to the face from the coaching staff.  I digress.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

The problem is that you won’t get “2017 Pats game Blake” all the time. He’s the most inconsistent QB I have ever seen. Sure he played well sometimes but he has also single handily lost the Jags games.

He’s not good and it’s really not even close. The Pats game just gave everyone (including Caldwell and Coughlin) false hope.

(02-11-2019, 06:49 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 06:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Active QBs that will undoubtedly play better than Bortles in the next couple of years:

Mahomes
Brees 
Rivers
Luck
Rodgers
Wilson
Goff
Ryan
Rothlisberger
Brady 
Watson
Mayfield
Cousins 
Wentz
Newton
Stafford
Trubisky
Winston (under Arians)
Darnold

QB's that have a high percentage chance of playing better than Bortles in the coming years:

Eli Manning 
Alex Smith (if he heals up)
Joe Flacco
Tannehill
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Dak Prescott
Mariota

Plus a whole slew of new QBs from the upcoming '19 and '20 drafts. 

I'm not even dealing with this "when the elites retire" business. They aren't retired and Blake's contract would end before they do anyway. Makes no difference in this discussion of where he lands in the grand scheme of things. He has to compete against them still.

Blake has no gameplan to work with, no receivers to throw to or go get any type of pass without perfect timing and placement

This whole narrative is way overblown IMO. 

Hackett did a pretty good job with Blake IMO. His failure was more in the ground game. He failed to solve the Fournette conundrum. 
I don't think Hackett held back Blake, I think Blake held back Hackett. 
Hackett was handcuffed by Blake's limitations and number of low percentage passes throughout the route tree. 
That he got what he did out of Blake in 2017 is actually impressive to me. 

The O-Line injury gripe is legit for 2018, but not so much in another two dozen career games in which Blake displayed horrible accuracy, terrible timing, zero route anticipation and bad decision making. 

How in the world all those things have not appeared glaringly bad to you over five years is a true mystery to me.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2019, 08:30 PM by Jags.)

I get that Blake is a pretty cool down to earth man’s man.  Most of us would love to hang out with him.   But holding onto him being a starter is a bit much.   I just don’t get it.  I mean who else has two interceptions off of their receiver’s foot and incompletions off their o lines helmets?  That stuff just doesn’t happen.  And the buffalo game in the playoffs...? Too windy to throw? C’mon.

(02-11-2019, 03:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: For Blake to post at least two consecutive seasons as a top 15 QB, he'll need a perfect storm to come together involving these three things:
  • A top 5 O-Line 
  • A top 5 receiving corps bolstered by a sure handed TE and very good run game
  • A coach/coordinator combo smart enough to get production consistently from a QB with wildly inconsistent accuracy, spurts of bad decision-making, and a general difficulty reading defenses. 

Odds of all of that ^ happening?

I probably have a better chance at winning the lottery and being struck by lightning in the same week.

You forgot one biggie: A running game that made Ds have to creep up the LOS with the LBs and safeties. Russell Wilson (who is infinitely better than BB) was a much less effective QB in 2017, but in 2018 he had a formidable rushing game again and, poof, he became a more effective QB again. The Rams were a high flying offense this season, but come the SB, Pats took away their rushing game and, blamo, Goff couldn't get anything going other than putting up 3 points all game. The only way BB is a top 10 QB, ever, is with a rushing attack that Ds fear. If not, bottom feeder.

(02-11-2019, 08:44 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 03:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: For Blake to post at least two consecutive seasons as a top 15 QB, he'll need a perfect storm to come together involving these three things:
  • A top 5 O-Line 
  • A top 5 receiving corps bolstered by a sure handed TE and very good run game
  • A coach/coordinator combo smart enough to get production consistently from a QB with wildly inconsistent accuracy, spurts of bad decision-making, and a general difficulty reading defenses. 

Odds of all of that ^ happening?

I probably have a better chance at winning the lottery and being struck by lightning in the same week.

You forgot one biggie: A running game that made Ds have to creep up the LOS with the LBs and safeties. Russell Wilson (who is infinitely better than BB) was a much less effective QB in 2017, but in 2018 he had a formidable rushing game again and, poof, he became a more effective QB again. The Rams were a high flying offense this season, but come the SB, Pats took away their rushing game and, blamo, Goff couldn't get anything going other than putting up 3 points all game. The only way BB is a top 10 QB, ever, is with a rushing attack that Ds fear. If not, bottom feeder.

from the post you quoted:

A top 5 receiving corps bolstered by a sure handed TE and very good run game

(02-11-2019, 08:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 08:44 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: You forgot one biggie: A running game that made Ds have to creep up the LOS with the LBs and safeties. Russell Wilson (who is infinitely better than BB) was a much less effective QB in 2017, but in 2018 he had a formidable rushing game again and, poof, he became a more effective QB again. The Rams were a high flying offense this season, but come the SB, Pats took away their rushing game and, blamo, Goff couldn't get anything going other than putting up 3 points all game. The only way BB is a top 10 QB, ever, is with a rushing attack that Ds fear. If not, bottom feeder.

from the post you quoted:

I missed it so I guess it wasn't emphasized well enough.

(02-11-2019, 11:23 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 08:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: from the post you quoted:

I missed it so I guess it wasn't emphasized well enough.

I felt it wasn't worth it's own bullet point since it's so incredibly obvious. (QB's benefitting from a run game is an endlessly parrotted refrain, no?)  So it was an addendum to the first point.
Sorry you didn't read and/or digest all of the words that you quoted.

(02-11-2019, 11:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 11:23 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: I missed it so I guess it wasn't emphasized well enough.

I felt it wasn't worth it's own bullet point since it's so incredibly obvious. (QB's benefitting from a run game is an endlessly parrotted refrain, no?)  So it was an addendum to the first point.

Dude, they've been minimizing the importance of RB for years, especially this season. It may be obvious to some, but not to the media/pundits so much first half of season.

Running backs can help a QB for sure, but it has to be in a complementing system. It was said ad nauseum by many before the draft, myself included, and it's still true now. What Bortles needed (shotgun heavy) and what Fournette needed (under center, 12/21/22 personnel) to succeed were oil and water. It was never going to work. We wound up making both of them their worst versions of themselves...not that they would be stars otherwise or anything, but still.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Jaguars/status/1...3618576386

(02-12-2019, 02:13 AM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 11:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I felt it wasn't worth it's own bullet point since it's so incredibly obvious. (QB's benefitting from a run game is an endlessly parrotted refrain, no?)  So it was an addendum to the first point.

Dude, they've been minimizing the importance of RB for years, especially this season. It may be obvious to some, but not to the media/pundits so much first half of season.
The importance of a RB has diminished but not the running game. It’s just that you don’t have to pay RBs big money or draft them high.

(02-12-2019, 09:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 02:13 AM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Dude, they've been minimizing the importance of RB for years, especially this season. It may be obvious to some, but not to the media/pundits so much first half of season.
The importance of a RB has diminished but not the running game. It’s just that you don’t have to pay RBs big money or draft them high.

You could argue that you don't have to draft anyone high; even great QBs are sometimes not drafted high. (see Brady). 

But, many of the best RBs are drafted high, even if it's popular to claim otherwise.

(02-11-2019, 04:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 04:46 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Maybe i dont.  I know he isnt a world beater, maybe its still the high from the playoff run; but i think he just needs a decent gameplan and playmakers to win a ship.

I've been right and horribly wrong about college QBs so i never place that bet.  I loved baker, mahomes and wilson.  I also liked manziel and rg3 alot too.
Still a high from the playoff run? His playoff run was blown so out of proportion. He was abysmal against the Bills and if they played anyone but Buffalo, they lose. He threw 1 TD against the Steelers while completing 53% of his passes. He had a decent game against the Pats but still only had 1 TD pass. The playoff run was fun but in the end, it was fools gold for Bortles. 

I appreciate everything he has done for this franchise but it's time to move on. I'll be glad when he's cut because at least then we can argue over a different QB.

Don't hold your breath.

I think if Bortles watches this video he could be the G.O.A.T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in0HefnhaHc

(02-11-2019, 08:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 06:49 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: ...

Blake has no gameplan to work with, no receivers to throw to or go get any type of pass without perfect timing and placement

This whole narrative is way overblown IMO. 

Hackett did a pretty good job with Blake IMO. His failure was more in the ground game. He failed to solve the Fournette conundrum. 
I don't think Hackett held back Blake, I think Blake held back Hackett. 
Hackett was handcuffed by Blake's limitations and number of low percentage passes throughout the route tree. 
That he got what he did out of Blake in 2017 is actually impressive to me. 

The O-Line injury gripe is legit for 2018, but not so much in another two dozen career games in which Blake displayed horrible accuracy, terrible timing, zero route anticipation and bad decision making. 

How in the world all those things have not appeared glaringly bad to you over five years is a true mystery to me.

I'm not delusional.  Blake has looked bad, like really bad, throughout his career.  He has had gems in there but with all of the excuses from the coaching staff, to the offseason work with house, etc. I never knew whether to blame blake for his slow progression or to blame the coaching staff for not knowing how to develop him.  Its your First Round Draft Pick and all you do is blame the player for being alot worse than you originally evaluated.  Thats just throw the whole staff away worthy to me.
Season Tix, Section 409

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 12:56 PM by Cleatwood.)

Steelers Beches

“You could argue that you don't have to draft anyone high; even great QBs are sometimes not drafted high. (see Brady).”

13 of the top 20 rushing leaders were 2nd round or later. You think the Giants would still take Barkley in a re-do or select Darnold and then Chubb? 

I’m not saying 1st round RBs can’t be elite (Gurley, Zeke, CMac, Barkley) but in most cases, the team should have taken a player at a more valuable position.

The only way this happens is if everything around him is great.

(02-12-2019, 12:55 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Steelers Beches

“You could argue that you don't have to draft anyone high; even great QBs are sometimes not drafted high. (see Brady).”

13 of the top 20 rushing leaders were 2nd round or later. You think the Giants would still take Barkley in a re-do or select Darnold and then Chubb? 

I’m not saying 1st round RBs can’t be elite (Gurley, Zeke, CMac, Barkley) but in most cases, the team should have taken a player at a more valuable position.

This is true.  Tell me this though, If you took 'Your' guy, QB or RB, in the first, wouldnt you have complete confidence in either his ability or how to develop it.  I dont know if its our GM, Scouts, or position coaches but something has to give about this QB Carousel for the last almost 10 to 15 years.
Season Tix, Section 409