Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Reflections and Thoughts on the Silver Season

(02-12-2019, 01:09 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 12:50 PM)hb1148 Wrote: You may well be the *only* person who thinks that, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. MJD was pretty awesome too though in his prime.

I took out Fred Taylor's name and highlighted his supporting cast from the Original List.

QB-Mark Brunell
FB-Greg Jones
WR-Jimmy Smith
WR-Keenan McCardell
TE-Kyle Brady
LT-Tony Boselli
LG-Vince Manuwai
C-Brad Meester
RG-Chris naoele
RT-Leon Searcy

Agreed, Fred had to compete with other skill players which decreased his number of opportunities. Smile 

Fred was freaky fast and powerful and had all kinds of different moves. MJD was quick and crazy powerful for his size and liked to run guys over. Look, I'm not going to knock MJD, he was a great player for us. But the way I look at it is that MJD had maybe three seasons in which he was as productive as FT was over the course of his entire career.

Another way to look at it is that FT has a real shot at getting in the HOF at some point, I'd be honestly surprised if Mojo makes it.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

25 years is a long time yes,but what about the other teams who have been in NFL even longer then the Jaguars,and haven't made the Super Bowl ever.  no offensse inteded but i belieave the Detriot lions is on of those teams.  they have been in the nfl since 1934. :note they won champtionships,but never made it to the Super Bowl.  Lions haven't won a Champtionship since 1957.  yes 25 years is long,but the lions is even longer. again no offensse  D6.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(02-12-2019, 03:26 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 01:09 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I took out Fred Taylor's name and highlighted his supporting cast from the Original List.

QB-Mark Brunell
FB-Greg Jones
WR-Jimmy Smith
WR-Keenan McCardell
TE-Kyle Brady
LT-Tony Boselli
LG-Vince Manuwai
C-Brad Meester
RG-Chris naoele
RT-Leon Searcy

Agreed, Fred had to compete with other skill players which decreased his number of opportunities. Smile 

You'd be surprised that Freddie T had a lot of carries.  Most likely because they were able to extend drives due to their weapons.   Freddie T averaged 0.2 yards per carry more than MoJo whereas MoJo averaged 0.3 yards per reception more than Freddie T.  MoJo also added 2,000+ yards in kick returns.  We beat that dude into the ground, a la Le'Veon Bell

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2019, 12:15 PM by Firesky.)

(02-12-2019, 03:26 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 01:09 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I took out Fred Taylor's name and highlighted his supporting cast from the Original List.

QB-Mark Brunell
FB-Greg Jones
WR-Jimmy Smith
WR-Keenan McCardell
TE-Kyle Brady
LT-Tony Boselli
LG-Vince Manuwai
C-Brad Meester
RG-Chris naoele
RT-Leon Searcy

Fred was freaky fast and powerful and had all kinds of different moves. MJD was quick and crazy powerful for his size and liked to run guys over. Look, I'm not going to knock MJD, he was a great player for us. But the way I look at it is that MJD had maybe three seasons in which he was as productive as FT was over the course of his entire career.

Another way to look at it is that FT has a real shot at getting in the HOF at some point, I'd be honestly surprised if Mojo makes it.

I also prefer Freddy T as he's one of the reasons i became a fan as a young kid. But to play Devil's advocate:

MJD has 3x as many probowl appearances, 3x as many all pros (2 1st team, 1 2nd team), led the league in rushing/won a rushing title (which Fred never did), has more TD's in way less games (114 or so to Fred's 140 games played), was a better receiver, holds the franchise single season rushing yards record, holds the franchise single season all purpose yards record, and the single season rushing TD's franchise record (Fred has total TD's in a single season by 1 score) and Fred and MJD's career YPC are damn near identical at 4.6 and 4.5 respectively .. There is a VERY legit case for MJD being the best RB in franchise history. and MJD did all that with wayyyy less talent up front and around him in general; and in the "small market jacksonville" and adding to that, he did all that on some very very BAD Jaguars teams. (At least when Fred played the team around him was competitive and was in the playoff mix) the fact that MJD did all of that may make him a darkhorse HOF candidate one day if the logjam of RB nominees ever clears up; especially because he works in the media now and is generally very well liked.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2019, 09:22 AM by Bullseye.)

(02-12-2019, 10:27 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Very good summary of the 1st 25 years. It's difficult to argue with most of your opinions. If I were to add/change any of your thoughts:

1. Favorite players: After just 2 seasons as a Jaguar, Calais Campbell tops my list. Not only a great player, but a team leader and great with the fans. Honorable mention to Jurko- a good player and the most
                                entertaining guy to listen to, in my opinion.

2. Top mistakes: Extending Gus Bradley's contract after compiling the worst modern day record as a head coach. Caldwell should have been fired for that, alone. Honorable mention to also extending Bortles' contract.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories of our 1st 25 years. Not sure if I'll be around for the 50th anniversary (would be 90), but I totally expect everyone's list to be topped by the year we won our 1st Super Bowl,
most likely to occur sometime during the next decade!

Calais Campbell is a very good choice, and thinking about it more could lead me to amend my list.  He would easily make a best free agent signing list.

Extending Bortles deal is certainly hamstringing us now cap wise.

I am hoping to be around another 25.  Heck I will be happy to make it to tomorrow.

Thinking more about the first quarter century of Jaguars football, I  have had the good fortune of seeing great players on Jaguars opponent

If I had to pick an all time Jaguars opponents team based on guys I have seen in person here in Jacksonville...

QB Tom Brady
RB Barry Sanders-the one time an opponent scored a TD and I wasn't pissed on some level.  "Hey...it's Barry freaking Sanders."
WR Jerry Rice 
WR Terrell Owens
TE Tony Gonzalez 
LT Jon Ogden
LG Steve Hutchinson 
C Dermontti Dawson 
RG Bruce Matthews 
RT Jon Runyan

DE Dwight Freeney 
DT Vince Wilfork 
DT Bryant Young
DE TIE Reggie White and J.J. Watt
LB Derrick Thomas 
LB Ray Lewis
LB Kevin Greene
CB Rod Woodson
CB Deion Sanders
FS Ed Reed
Ss Troy Polamalu

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Very enjoyable read. Awesome post Bullseye.

(02-13-2019, 10:48 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Very enjoyable read. Awesome post Bullseye.

Thank you.

Let's see...Top 5 individual performances

1. Jimmy Smith 291 yards receiving against the 2000 Ravens
2. Fred Taylor's 234 yards rushing vs. Pittsburgh, 2000
3. Brunell's playoff game against Denver 1996
4. Boselli's game vs. Bruce Smith, 1996 wild card game
5. MJD's playoff game against Pittsburgh, 2007

Top 5 defensive performances

1. 48-0 win over Browns-The Browns v. 2.0 never even crossed midfield, 2000
2. 6-0 win over Indy 2018
3. 9-0 win over Pittsburgh, 2006
4. 10-3 loss to Indy, 2005-Held Peyton manning led Colts to 3 points most of the game in Indy
5. 3 way tie-10 sack games v. Atlanta, 1998, vs. Houston and Indy, 2017

Top 5 offensive plays

1. Brunell fade to Jimmy Smith v. Denver 1996 playoff game
2. Garrard Hail Mary to beat Houston
3. Fred Taylor trucking of Indy's Mike Doss, 2003
4. Bortles TD pass to Bohanon v. Pittsburgh in 2017 playoffs
5. MJD's pancake of Shawne Merriman

Top 5 defensive plays

1. Tony Brackens chasing down the Falcons receiver at the end of the game in 1996. Without his hustle, on that play, Atlanta scores a TD or has an even shorter FG, we lose, and never reach the playoffs in 1996.

2. Clyde Simmons INT of Jim Kelly in Wild card game 1996

3. The ten (10) player gang tackle of Tampa RB in 10th anniversary celebration game. The absolute embodiment of team defense. Thinking about it I'm tempted to put this higher.

4. Myles Jack vs. the Patriots-if the play was called correctly, would immediately go to the top of this list, and would have been one of the most amazing defensive plays in NFL history.

5. DD's hit on Bettis in MNF game, circa 1998. Exact replica of the classic Steve Atwater hit on Christian Okoye.

Honorable mention-any number of game changing/clinching INTs by Rashean Mathis

A few honorable mentions not mentioned:

The humiliation of Marino and Jerry Jones in '99 playoffs. I'm a Marino fan, and he may have been the greatest pure passer of all time. And man, the Jags made him look terrible.
In that same game, I believe Freddy T. had a 90 yard TD run.
The various Reggie Barlow kick returns. That guy was incredible in his brief tenure at the top of his game.
Bullseye, maybe you can tell me which game Brunnell had a hail mary as the halftime clock expired to Jimmy Smith from about 50 yards out, and just laid it in his breadbasket. Might have been the epic Broncos playoff game, but I forget.
Beating the crap out of several teams - with Jay Fiedler at QB.

(02-15-2019, 09:46 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: A few honorable mentions not mentioned:

The humiliation of Marino and Jerry Jones in '99 playoffs.  I'm a Marino fan, and he may have been the greatest pure passer of all time.  And man, the Jags made him look terrible.  
In that same game, I believe Freddy T. had a 90 yard TD run.
The various Reggie Barlow kick returns.  That guy was incredible in his brief tenure at the top of his game.
Bullseye, maybe you can tell me which game Brunnell had a hail mary as the halftime clock expired to Jimmy Smith from about 50 yards out, and just laid it in his breadbasket.  Might have been the epic Broncos playoff game, but I forget.
Beating the crap out of several teams - with Jay Fiedler at QB.

It was Jimmy Johnson, not Jerry Jones we humiliated.

Yes, FT had a 90 yard run, and also caught a screen pass for a TD.

Please don't mention Reggie Barlow.  Yes he had some good punt returns overall, but I can't forgive him for that muff of the punt right before halftime of the AFC Championship game. We had the lead and the momentum in the game until that muff.  It was downhill from that point forth.

I can't recall a hail mary right before halftime from Brunell.  The one Hail Mary from Brunell I remember was against the Patriots in 1996-regular season not title game.

(02-13-2019, 07:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 10:27 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Very good summary of the 1st 25 years. It's difficult to argue with most of your opinions. If I were to add/change any of your thoughts:

1. Favorite players: After just 2 seasons as a Jaguar, Calais Campbell tops my list. Not only a great player, but a team leader and great with the fans. Honorable mention to Jurko- a good player and the most
                                entertaining guy to listen to, in my opinion.

2. Top mistakes: Extending Gus Bradley's contract after compiling the worst modern day record as a head coach. Caldwell should have been fired for that, alone. Honorable mention to also extending Bortles' contract.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories of our 1st 25 years. Not sure if I'll be around for the 50th anniversary (would be 90), but I totally expect everyone's list to be topped by the year we won our 1st Super Bowl,
most likely to occur sometime during the next decade!

Calais Campbell is a very good choice, and thinking about it more could lead me to amend my list.  He would easily make a best free agent signing list.

I am hoping to be around another 25.  Heck I will be happy to make it to tomorrow.

Thinking more about the first quarter century of Jaguars football, I  have had the good fortune of seeing great players on Jaguars opponent

If I had to pick an all time Jaguars opponents team based on guys I have seen in person here in Jacksonville...

QB Tom Brady
RB Barry Sanders-the one time an opponent scored a TD and I wasn't pissed on some level.  "Hey...it's Barry freaking Sanders."
WR Jerry Rice 
WR Terrell Owens
TE Tony Gonzalez 
LT Jon Ogden
LG Steve Hutchinson 
C Dermontti Dawson 
RG Bruce Matthews 
RT Jon Runyan

DE Dwight Freeney 
DT Vince Wilfork 
DT Bryant Young
LB Derrick Thomas 
LB Ray Lewis
LB Kevin Greene
CB Rod Woodson
CB Deion Sanders
FS Ed Reed
Ss Troy Polamalu
These were great NFL players, most are in the Hall of Fame or will be once they become eligible. One other list not seen yet would be "Biggest Jaguars killers." This list would definitely include the following players:

1. Steve McNair
2. Samari Rolle
3. Phillip Rivers
4. Tom Brady

I still have nightmares of Steve McNair running over Jaguar defenders and Samari Rolle picking off Brunell during the 1999 AFC Championship game.

(02-16-2019, 09:18 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 07:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Calais Campbell is a very good choice, and thinking about it more could lead me to amend my list.  He would easily make a best free agent signing list.

QB Tom Brady
WR Jerry Rice 
WR Terrell Owens
TE Tony Gonzalez 
LT Jon Ogden
LG Steve Hutchinson 
C Dermontti Dawson 
RG Bruce Matthews 
RT Jon Runyan

DE Dwight Freeney 
DT Vince Wilfork 
DT Bryant Young
LB Derrick Thomas 
LB Ray Lewis
LB Kevin Greene
CB Rod Woodson
CB Deion Sanders
FS Ed Reed
Ss Troy Polamalu
These were great NFL players, most are in the Hall of Fame or will be once they become eligible. One other list not seen yet would be "Biggest Jaguars killers." This list would definitely include the following players:

1. Steve McNair
2. Samari Rolle
3. Phillip Rivers
4. Tom Brady

I still have nightmares of Steve McNair running over Jaguar defenders and Samari Rolle picking off Brunell during the 1999 AFC Championship game.
I thought about a similar list.

I would add...

5.  Peyton Manning
6. Reggie Wayne
7.  Frank Wycheck

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2019, 09:10 AM by The Real Marty.)

That brings back a lot of memories, Bullseye.  

I know I will never ever again in my life reach the high I felt when Morten Andersen missed that kick in 1996.  

We were 4-7, with about a 2% chance of making the playoffs, all the local media was criticising the team, David Lamm for example, said "Let's face it, this is a bad team."    And lo and behold, we reeled off 4 straight wins, a couple of them absolute miracle wins.   I remember a game against the Ravens when Vinnie Testeverde inexplicably lost the ball in the pocket with no one near him, and we recovered it and pulled the game out.  We were 8-7 and all we had to do was beat the 3-12 Falcons to make the playoffs in our second season!   We had a nice lead at the half and they came back on us.   They kept throwing that wide receiver screen and we couldn't stop it.   We were ahead I think 19-17 and they threw yet another WR screen, and what a lot of people forget, that WR was going for a TD, and Tony Brackens ran that guy down from behind and saved the TD.  

So they  had that chip shot to beat us and knock us out of the playoffs with just a few seconds left.   And one of the the best kickers ever.   I was sitting there in the stadium totally depressed.   And he kicks the ball, and immediately one section of fans behind the goal posts leaps up and my immediate thought in that split second was, those must be Falcons fans.   And then in the next split second, the entire stadium exploded.   And the refs were signaling no-good.  I've never experienced anything like that.  That was the highest high I have ever felt in my life.  The players were out one the field, jumping up and down, Coughlin took off his hat and looked up at the sky, and every single person in that stadium was jumping up and down with their arms in the air screaming.   It took a little time before everyone calmed down enough to throw themselves into the arms of everyone around them.  That's how crazy it was.  

That was a once in a lifetime experience.

(02-18-2019, 09:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: That brings back a lot of memories, Bullseye.  

I know I will never ever again in my life reach the high I felt when Morten Andersen missed that kick in 1996.  

We were 4-7, with about a 2% chance of making the playoffs, all the local media was criticising the team, David Lamm for example, said "Let's face it, this is a bad team."    And lo and behold, we reeled off 4 straight wins, a couple of them absolute miracle wins.   I remember a game against the Ravens when Vinnie Testeverde inexplicably lost the ball in the pocket with no one near him, and we recovered it and pulled the game out.  We were 8-7 and all we had to do was beat the 3-12 Falcons to make the playoffs in our second season!   We had a nice lead at the half and they came back on us.   They kept throwing that wide receiver screen and we couldn't stop it.   We were ahead I think 19-17 and they threw yet another WR screen, and what a lot of people forget, that WR was going for a TD, and Tony Brackens ran that guy down from behind and saved the TD.  

So they  had that chip shot to beat us and knock us out of the playoffs with just a few seconds left.   And one of the the best kickers ever.   I was sitting there in the stadium totally depressed.   And he kicks the ball, and immediately one section of fans behind the goal posts leaps up and my immediate thought in that split second was, those must be Falcons fans.   And then in the next split second, the entire stadium exploded.   And the refs were signaling no-good.  I've never experienced anything like that.  That was the highest high I have ever felt in my life.  The players were out one the field, jumping up and down, Coughlin took off his hat and looked up at the sky, and every single person in that stadium was jumping up and down with their arms in the air screaming.   It took a little time before everyone calmed down enough to throw themselves into the arms of everyone around them.  That's how crazy it was.  

That was a once in a lifetime experience.

The stadium was complete pandemonium.

Moreten's miss is one of the truly magical moments in team history.

But I am not yet prepared to concede I will never again reach that high, because that presumes we will never reach or win the Super Bowl.

I think we have a shot with our current roster, given good health.

(02-18-2019, 09:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The stadium was complete pandemonium.

But I am not yet prepared to concede I will never again reach that high, because that presumes we will never reach or win the Super Bowl.

We were in section 123 and I missed seeing the actual kick because I was sitting down with my head in my hands knowing we'd lost. I did see it miss the uprights though. It was pretty indescribable. People that weren't there will never know.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2019, 09:52 AM by Bullseye.)

(02-18-2019, 09:38 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 09:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The stadium was complete pandemonium.

We were in section 123 and I missed seeing the actual kick because I was sitting down with my head in my hands knowing we'd lost. I did see it miss the uprights though. It was pretty indescribable. People that weren't there will never know.

I thought I was the only one in the stadium that day that missed the kick!

Being at the top of the stadium, looking over the side, trying in vain to convince myself that an 8-8 record for a second year team was actually a pretty good accomplishment.

Unlike you, I missed it completely.

But the range of emotions experienced that day-from the pregame excitement about the possibility of our first winning season and first playoff experience after a 4-7 start, to the shock of being out played throughout the game by a 3-12 team, to the horror of seeing Atlanta drive down the field that final time and give this team its first ever truly crushing loss, to the jubilation of the inexplicable miss-is something I have rarely, if ever, experienced in a game.

If you think about it, we've had some pretty amazing kick related plays at the stadium in our history.

Morten's miss.

Clyde Simmons' blocked FG against the Steelers in the first Monday Night Game

The missed extra point after the River City Relay.

Josh Scobee crushed the Colts with a GW 59 yard FG.

A YouTube channel I found has been uploading tons of old classic Jaguars games if anyone is interested.

Jaguars Vs the 2000 Ravens defend is a joy to watch (yes the Jimmy Smith 15-291 3 TD game)

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2019, 10:22 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-18-2019, 09:45 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 09:38 AM)hb1148 Wrote: We were in section 123 and I missed seeing the actual kick because I was sitting down with my head in my hands knowing we'd lost. I did see it miss the uprights though. It was pretty indescribable. People that weren't there will never know.

I thought I was the only one in the stadium that day that missed the kick!

Being at the top of the stadium, looking over the side, trying in vain to convince myself that an 8-8 record for a second year team was actually a pretty good accomplishment.

Unlike you, I missed it completely.

But the range of emotions experienced that day-from the pregame excitement about the possibility of our first winning season and first playoff experience after a 4-7 start, to the shock of being out played throughout the game by a 3-12 team, to the horror of seeing Atlanta drive down the field that final time and give this team its first ever truly crushing loss, to the jubilation of the inexplicable miss-is something I have rarely, if ever, experienced in a game.

If you think about it, we've had some pretty amazing kick related plays at the stadium in our history.

Morten's miss.

Clyde Simmons' blocked FG against the Steelers in the first Monday Night Game

The missed extra point after the River City Relay.

Josh Scobee crushed the Colts with a GW 59 yard FG.

Look at the 11:56 mark of this video and you can see how Brackens saved our season in 1996.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Qqf7ya8o8

(02-18-2019, 09:59 AM)JackCity Wrote: A YouTube channel I found has been uploading tons of old classic Jaguars games if anyone is interested.

Jaguars Vs the 2000 Ravens defend is a joy to watch (yes the Jimmy Smith 15-291 3 TD game)

What is the name of that channel please?
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(02-12-2019, 03:24 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: What Fred did to three rivers stadium is epic.  The guy tore his groin making an impossible cut.

As I recall, he tore his groin in 1999 against Tennessee (figures), unless you are talking about someone on the Squeelers he faked out.