Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Reflections and Thoughts on the Silver Season

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2019, 05:03 PM by Bullseye.)

2019 will mark the 25th on field season of Jaguars football. A quarter century!  Of NFL football in Jacksonville!

Whoda thunkit back in 1992?

Where has the time gone?!?  Indeed, time flies when you're having fun.

While the team has yet to win or appear in the Super Bowl, the past 24 years have been a lot of fun.

I still remember the goofy grins people had here when Jacksonville was awarded the team.  I still remember the kid at Christmas excitement I had seeing the completed stadium for the first time.  Boyz II Men singing the National Anthem still resonates.  I still chuckle with Coughlin as the fans chanted "playoffs" when exiting down the ramps after beating Pittsburgh for the team's first ever win at home.  I remember the team used to paint santa hats on the logo during Christmas time until the NFL put the kibosh on it.  I remember the cathartic win over the then hated Carolina Panthers, who were the media darlings. 

The fun of following that second year stretch from 4-7 to 9-7 and the first ever playoff appearance was a blast continues to set the standard, IMO for fun seasons, as it was totally unexpected.  Every team that we needed to lose lost over the last few weeks.   More importantly, the Jaguars did their part, at least until the final game, where they were outplayed by a 3 win Atlanta team.  But then we caught a break when a guy who normally did his job, hall of fame kicker Morten freaking Andersen, missed a 30 yard FG after making something like his last 59 straight from that distance.  Of course, despite being there at the game, just like Morten Andersen, I missed the kick- because I couldn't bear to watch.  But I remember the jubilant pandemonium afterwards, as a fan jumped into my arms and people embraced.  I recall running into my obnoxious Bills fan buddy after we knocked out the Bills in our first playoff game.  He wasn't so obnoxious then.  Sullen is a word that leaps to mind as he slunk out of Blockbuster video wearing his blue Bryce Paup jersey.

We all have had our share of similar memories over the years.  This is one reason why, no matter how much the team ticks me off...no matter how much the team disappoints me, I can't stay too mad at them.

Here are some of my actual on field thoughts over the last 25 years:

If I had to pick a 25th anniversary Jaguars team it would look like this

QB-Mark Brunell
RB-Fred Taylor
FB-Greg Jones
WR-Jimmy Smith
WR-Keenan McCardell
TE-Kyle Brady
LT-Tony Boselli
LG-Vince Manuwai
C-Brad Meester
RG-Chris naoele
RT-Leon Searcy

RE-Yannick Ngakoue-Tough decision over Brackens.  Both have had many game turning plays.  Yannick has done it over a longer period of time than T-Brack.
DT-Marcus Stroud-Lots of good DT prospects from which to choose
DT-John Henderson
LE-Calais Campbell
OLB-Telvin Smith
MLB-Mike Peterson
OLB-Kevin Hardy-He played SAM in his early years.
CB-Jalen Ramsey-if he stays healthy and out of trouble, he is destined for greatness and a spot in the pride-possibly Canton.
CB-Rashean Mathis-Was a tough one over Bouye, but Mathis has more game changing plays.

FS-Deon Grant
SS-Donovin Darius

K-Josh Scobee-I like Hollis, too, but I think Scobee had more dramatic game winning kicks and a stronger leg.
P-Bryan Barker

Top Five Games

1.  30-27 win over Denver in 1996 Divisional Playoffs-Some 23 years later, I still say screw Woody Paige and his "Jagwads," article.
2.  45-41 win in Pittsburgh in 2017 Divisional Playoffs
3.  375 yards rushing over the Colts
4.  First ever MNF win over the Steelers.  Cowher's reaction to the blocked FG and the dejection of Steelers fans leaving the game were classic.
5.  1998 win over Tampa-great crowd, great game.  Had the feel of a college rivalry game.

Top 5 favorite players-not necessarily the best players, just my favorites to watch

1.  Maurice Jones Drew-Seemingly a big play waiting to happen.  Judging from my spot as a fan, he seemed to have a blast playing the game.

2.  Tony Boselli-made watching OL play cool.  I still remember Paul Maguire observing "Tony Boselli just collapsed the entire right side of the Steelers defense!"

3.  Jimmy Smith-His fly routes were something to behold

4.  Tony Brackens-The first DE capable of taking over a game.  Had two of the most important defensive plays in team history during that 1996 playoff run

5.  Jalen Ramsey-Seeing him physically maul receivers while blanketing them on their routes is a lot of fun.

Top 3 defenses:

1.  The 2017 team.  Set a team record for sacks, and scored a bunch of points.  Tons of game changing plays and ruined the Steelers season.

2.  The JDR era "might getcha" group.  Lots of fun to watch dance to that song.  Very intimidating bunch, especially against the run.  only thing they lacked was a pass rusher.

3.  The 1999 defense.  They had their share of game changing and field flipping plays-just not as many as the 2017 group.  Imagine if Capers had a Jalen Ramsey at CB.

Top 3 mistakes:

1.  Cutting LB Eddie Robinson.  I list this because he was better for the defense than what they asked Bryce Paup to do, and cutting him enabled him to return to the tacks- along with him, our playbook.  Perhaps we don't lose to the tacks three times and maybe we go to the Super Bowl without that information.

2.  Firing Tom Coughlin.  Weaver himself said it was the biggest mistake of his tenure as Jaguars owner.  JDR wasn't bad, but TC is a HOF coach.

3.  Passing on HOF/Pro Bowl QBs.-I don't think the team knew they were passing on HOF signal callers at the time, but what would Jaguars history look like if we had either Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, DeShaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes?

Biggest annoyance:  The college first Gator homers.  Oh my God how annoying, overbearing and insufferable that group was in their incessant advocacy of Danny awful, Steve Spurrier, and Tim Tebow.  They became "Gator Skins" and "BroncGators," and to this day, swore up and down Wuerffel and Tebow failed because of some anti Christian bias in the NFL.  They had signs on the overpass over I-95 urging the team to sign Tebow, and some guy wearing a sandwich board advocated the same thing.  BTW, that sandwich board guy's message was "Why not sign Tebow?"  In one of the few times I have heckled someone at the stadium, I said "Because he sucks, that's why!"  It was so cathartic.

These are just a few of my thoughts over the last 25 years of Jaguars football.  I will add more as they come to me and as time permits.  in the meantime I welcome your perspectives.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Tongue 

Football was invented for fans like you, Bullseye. I read every word as excited as if I was living it ... Because I understood reading it, like you understood writing it.

Could have left that 375 off. Tongue

(02-11-2019, 05:58 PM)Sammy Wrote: Football was invented for fans like you, Bullseye. I read every word as excited as if I was living it ... Because I understood reading it, like you understood writing it.

Could have left that 375 off. Tongue

Thanks, Sammy.

But what fun would that have been, leaving off the 375?

I mostly agree with your Anniversary team, but I'd have to make one Change: Daryl Smith over Telvin Smith. I just can't see an argument for Telvin .. YET. I think it's similar to Bouye and Mathis. if Bouye continues to play well he may eventually overtake Mathis, but the sheer longevity, production, and versatility both Mathis and Daryl brought to the table makes it hard to put Telvin who had one really good year in 2017 but was a complete and utter liability last season.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Maybe I'm just too much of a "Debbie Downer," but it makes me depressed. 25 years and we've never played in a single Superbowl. It's been a fun ride, but I'm still patiently waiting for the big payoff. I pray it happens in my lifetime. I really wanna see the Jags win a Superbowl or at least get to one.

(02-11-2019, 06:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Maybe I'm just too much of a "Debbie Downer," but it makes me depressed. 25 years and we've never played in a single Superbowl. It's been a fun ride, but I'm still patiently waiting for the big payoff. I pray it happens in my lifetime. I really wanna see the Jags win a Superbowl or at least get to one.

We're still one of the teams that hasn't won (let alone MADE) a SB so i get that. But we've also played in 3 AFCCG's And we've had sporadic success in the playoffs. I'm sure Bills fans the last 2 decades would KILL for our playoff fortunes, ditto for Browns, Lions, Texan fans etc. We've been SOOOO close to a SB berth and it seems like each time we're a little closer. It'll happen eventually and I can't wait for that moment!!
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2019, 06:31 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-11-2019, 06:07 PM)Firesky Wrote: I mostly agree with your Anniversary team, but I'd have to make one Change: Daryl Smith over Telvin Smith. I just can't see an argument for Telvin .. YET. I think it's similar to Bouye and Mathis. if Bouye continues to play well he may eventually overtake Mathis, but the sheer longevity, production, and versatility both Mathis and Daryl brought to the table makes it hard to put Telvin who had one really good year in 2017 but was a complete and utter liability last season.

That is a reasonable take.

I wrestled with the LBs more than any other position, in large part due to OLBs.

Perhaps had I listed hardy as the Will, I may have put in Daryl as Sam.

I think D. Smith was steady but not spectacular.  Telvin Smith makes the game changing play, even though he was a liability against the run last year.  I tend to favor those who make the game changing play, but there is an argument for consistency.

There is also an argument that Daryl Smith could have done similar things in this current defense.

(02-11-2019, 06:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Maybe I'm just too much of a "Debbie Downer," but it makes me depressed. 25 years and we've never played in a single Superbowl. It's been a fun ride, but I'm still patiently waiting for the big payoff. I pray it happens in my lifetime. I really wanna see the Jags win a Superbowl or at least get to one.

In the early years of the franchise, I used to be unswayed by arguments by detractors that the Jaguars haven't won any titles.

Now?  The missed opportunities are a source of disappointment, no question about it.  If we can fix the offensive problems, hopefully despite our brutal schedule, we can rectify that inequity this year.

I'd pick Poz over Peterson TBH.

Very good summary of the 1st 25 years. It's difficult to argue with most of your opinions. If I were to add/change any of your thoughts:

1. Favorite players: After just 2 seasons as a Jaguar, Calais Campbell tops my list. Not only a great player, but a team leader and great with the fans. Honorable mention to Jurko- a good player and the most
entertaining guy to listen to, in my opinion.

2. Top mistakes: Extending Gus Bradley's contract after compiling the worst modern day record as a head coach. Caldwell should have been fired for that, alone. Honorable mention to also extending Bortles' contract.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories of our 1st 25 years. Not sure if I'll be around for the 50th anniversary (would be 90), but I totally expect everyone's list to be topped by the year we won our 1st Super Bowl,
most likely to occur sometime during the next decade!

I'm in the extreme minority here but I think MJD was better than Fred Taylor. Taylor was fully equipped with a Pro Bowl type offensive line, QB, and WRs. MJD played behind below average offensive talent and the defenses loaded the box to stop him. I recall coming to games for a number of years thinking he was pretty much the only reason I was renewing my season tix. He took a beating but those 2nd and 3rd efforts to get a few extra yards will be forever instilled in my memory bank.

I understand the Freddie T favoritism and no big deal because it's like choosing between 2 hot models but I just wanted to express my personal opinion.

Stay the course my man.

I’ve been a Caps fan my entire life and up until last season, it was the most depressing team I’ve watched. Season after season of high hopes and expectations only to end up with nothing..... until last year. It all came together with the Caps beating Pittsburgh (rivals) in round 2, TB in the conference finals (another playoff nemesis) and then finally beating Marc Andre Fleury (goalie nemesis) in the Stanley Cup Finals. All the years of letdowns are washed away with one swoop. It was so worth the wait and it’s sometimes hard to explain. 

Will the Jags win one or make it to one? No idea but I sure hope so. If it does? You’re gonna be living the high life for a while.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM by MoJagFan.)

I was new to the area and stationed aboard the USS Vicksburg (CG-69) out of Mayport.  We were standing up the ship and as a plank owner first crew we were floating off the coast when the announcement was made.  I'll never forget that.  So funny because we were using the signals equipment to intercept radio stations to get the news.  No iPhones, Mobile Internet or any way else to stay connected while we were underway.  The world sure has changed.

Man that Denver victory sure was awesome.  I had to work up at Kingsbay for an overnight shift during the AFC Championship game and boy the well timed lights going out in Foxborough sure derailed us.  Man I hate the cheatriots.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-12-2019, 11:04 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'm in the extreme minority here but I think MJD was better than Fred Taylor.  Taylor was fully equipped with a Pro Bowl type offensive line, QB, and WRs.  MJD played behind below average offensive talent and the defenses loaded the box to stop him.  I recall coming to games for a number of years thinking he was pretty much the only reason I was renewing my season tix.  He took a beating but those 2nd and 3rd efforts to get a few extra yards will be forever instilled in my memory bank.

I understand the Freddie T favoritism and no big deal because it's like choosing between 2 hot models but I just wanted to express my personal opinion.

You may well be the *only* person who thinks that, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. MJD was pretty awesome too though in his prime.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Dude, we just dumped a coach that went 12-48 in his Jag career, including 1-13 in September.

I just want to be average.  Heck, I'll take slightly below average at this point.  Just keep things exciting through Thanksgiving, then I can let the adrenaline of the Costco Christmas sales take me through the year.

(02-11-2019, 04:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Top Five Games

1.  30-27 win over Denver in 1996 Divisional Playoffs-Some 23 years later, I still say screw Woody Paige and his "Jagwads," article.

I was there!  14th row, 50 yard line.  Had busted my hand a week earlier skiing at Loveland trying to catch a little too much air.  When I chose the blue-ish color cast they asked me if it was broncos blue and i was like hell naw, its just jaguars teal!  Bronco fans have this really annoying "IN-COM-PLETE" chant whenever an the opponent throws an incomplete pass.  Still remember yelling that at the end when Elway was trying to lead them back.  Kept getting trash thrown at us.  It was great!

btw, I think I'd put Brackens ahead of Yannick for now.  Yannick's first 3 years are probably on par with Brackens best 3 year stretch but Brackens had some other pretty solid years in there mixed in plus seemed to come up with big plays at big times.  I'm assuming Yannick's career will end up being better but as of right now I'd vote Brackens.

(02-12-2019, 12:50 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 11:04 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'm in the extreme minority here but I think MJD was better than Fred Taylor.  Taylor was fully equipped with a Pro Bowl type offensive line, QB, and WRs.  MJD played behind below average offensive talent and the defenses loaded the box to stop him.  I recall coming to games for a number of years thinking he was pretty much the only reason I was renewing my season tix.  He took a beating but those 2nd and 3rd efforts to get a few extra yards will be forever instilled in my memory bank.

You may well be the *only* person who thinks that, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. MJD was pretty awesome too though in his prime.

I took out Fred Taylor's name and highlighted his supporting cast from the Original List.

QB-Mark Brunell
FB-Greg Jones
WR-Jimmy Smith
WR-Keenan McCardell
TE-Kyle Brady
LT-Tony Boselli
LG-Vince Manuwai
C-Brad Meester
RG-Chris naoele
RT-Leon Searcy

(02-12-2019, 05:19 AM)DragonFury Wrote: I'd pick Poz over Peterson TBH.

If for nothing else, the contrasting effect each reportedly had on the locker room.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(02-12-2019, 01:44 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

If for nothing else, the contrasting effect each reportedly had on the locker room.

You didn't like Peterson screaming "PAY ME" after each hit during training camp?  lol

(02-12-2019, 01:44 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

There are lots of great combos of LBs available in the Jags historical roster. 
Just one example: 

Myles Jack -Will    --   Poz - Mike       --     Daryl Smith  Sam

Always mystified by this take. No disrespect, you aren't the only one to see it that way. 

There is just no comparison to my eyes. Fred's skillset was so far beyond MJD's I seriously don't even consider it a fair comparison. 

Fred had a half dozen ways to make guys miss and find space to run.  MJD had two, or the option to get low and try to bowl the defender over.  
Two distinctly different levels of athleticism on display to my eyes.

What Fred did to three rivers stadium is epic. The guy tore his groin making an impossible cut.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.