Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Congressional approval of border deal

(02-13-2019, 09:49 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 11:12 AM)B2hibry Wrote: The few details that have emerged are a non-starter. There appears to be less than $1.5 for barriers (vehicle), no wall. This is even lower than the bill offered up before the shutdown. In addition, Dems are looking to cap detention bed spaces after lowering the number from current levels. This means current overages must be released into the wild while waiting for a hearing. We already know how this works. Dems are also looking to put language in the bill that would prevent the POTUS from shifting funds to build wall segments during a declared emergency. So, all in all, so-called negotiations went backward. Let's also not forget, the Dems want to raise the debt ceiling and will be looking to use this as a bargaining chip if not already attached to this proposal.

http://fortune.com/2019/02/10/border-wal...reak-down/

And yet it has bipartisan support and will pass, although I'm not fond of the idea of limiting the number of beds ICE can have because of the effect it would have on due process, and the end result of just releasing people because there's no bed for them.
But it doesn't have bipartisan support. As of this morning, Congressional leaders haven't even seen the proposal! It's going to look a lot different once it leaves the room of negotiators and heads to House and Senate floors. The questions remains...Is another stop gap CR signed instead or does a proposal get signed with an immediate emergency declaration? Neither side wants a shutdown but I think you've softened one sticky point (wall funding) and introduced an even bigger one (eliminating bed space).
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I heard last evening that the democrats are trying to sneak in legislation to back pay government contractors from the shutdown.

(02-13-2019, 10:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I heard last evening that the democrats are trying to sneak in legislation to back pay government contractors from the shutdown.

If they worked during the shutdown, they should be paid. If they didn't, that's what unemployment is for.

(02-13-2019, 10:44 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 10:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I heard last evening that the democrats are trying to sneak in legislation to back pay government contractors from the shutdown.

If they worked during the shutdown, they should be paid. If they didn't, that's what unemployment is for.

I am just not a fan of sneaking in last minute legislation using MY tax dollars for the sole purpose of a party I don't support getting a political win.

(02-13-2019, 10:56 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 10:44 AM)TJBender Wrote: If they worked during the shutdown, they should be paid. If they didn't, that's what unemployment is for.

I am just not a fan of sneaking in last minute legislation using MY tax dollars for the sole purpose of a party I don't support getting a political win.

I'm not a fan of sneaking riders into a completed bill under any circumstances.

Hell, I'm not a fan of riders. Force every piece of legislation to be debated under its own merits. No more Durbin Amendments. Ever.

I was fortunate enough to see Trump's talk re the border security bill. Wow. This is your president! He's still babbling as I type.

At some point I thought someone was going to come out and throw a net over him. Totally spasmodic. He talked as much about China as he did border security. He barely talked about the bill - it was all about the "emergency". Weird.

Donald did try very hard to scare the bejezzus out of those who live at The Villages. Hide the women and children! Now I know what all that talk about the 25th Amendment is all about, lol.

If you get a chance try and see a replay. Not just the highlights but the whole thing. Pretty bizarre.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(02-15-2019, 12:11 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: I was fortunate enough to see Trump's talk re the border security bill. Wow. This is your president! He's still babbling as I type.

At some point I thought someone was going to come out and throw a net over him. Totally spasmodic. He talked as much about China as he did border security. He barely talked about the bill - it was all about the "emergency". Weird.

Donald did try very hard to scare the bejezzus out of those who live at The Villages. Hide the women and children! Now I know what all that talk about the 25th Amendment is all about, lol.

If you get a chance try and see a replay. Not just the highlights but the whole thing. Pretty bizarre.

???   It's been 2 years....   Have u been paying attention.

(02-15-2019, 12:11 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: I was fortunate enough to see Trump's talk re the border security bill. Wow. This is your president! He's still babbling as I type.

You are so addicted to your TDS you purposefully tune in just to have something to say on a message board lol

Get help.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 01:20 PM by Adam2012.)

(02-15-2019, 12:58 PM)jj82284 Wrote:

???   It's been 2 years....   Have u been paying attention.

I've never seen one of his rallies, so perhaps this is the norm. But he was speaking to the nation, trying to make his case re border security. Is it too much to ask that he be on point and somewhat articulate?

Now - don't get me wrong. This is comedy gold. The way he lies so casually. The way he mixes fact and fiction seamlessly. The way he tries to scare everyone with bluster and overwrought language. The way he's all over the map. The way he praises dictators and uses Angel Moms as political props.

It's like a car crash that you just can't help but gawk it.

(02-15-2019, 01:15 PM)Kane Wrote:

You are so addicted to your TDS you purposefully tune in just to have something to say on a message board lol

Get help.

lol ... don't your knees hurt?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 01:27 PM by Kane.)

(02-15-2019, 01:18 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 12:58 PM)jj82284 Wrote: ???   It's been 2 years....   Have u been paying attention.

I've never seen one of his rallies, so perhaps this is the norm. But he was speaking to the nation, trying to make his case re border security. Is it too much to ask that he be on point and somewhat articulate?

Now - don't get me wrong. This is comedy gold. The way he lies so casually. The way he mixes fact and fiction seamlessly. The way he tries to scare everyone with bluster and overwrought language. The way he's all over the map. The way he praises dictators and uses Angel Moms as political props.

(02-15-2019, 01:15 PM)Kane Wrote: You are so addicted to your TDS you purposefully tune in just to have something to say on a message board lol

Get help.

Nope... 
I don't pray.....
or is that some veiled homophobic slur tossed from the left?

Hmm... surprise.

(Just so you know, I'm pretty critical of our President. I just find it laughable at how you flakes react to everything--just as bad as the far righties that claimed Obama was either Kenyan or the anti-Christ lol)

(02-15-2019, 01:26 PM)Kane Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 01:18 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: I've never seen one of his rallies, so perhaps this is the norm. But he was speaking to the nation, trying to make his case re border security. Is it too much to ask that he be on point and somewhat articulate?

Nope... 
I don't pray.....
or is that some veiled homophobic slur tossed from the left?

Hmm... surprise.

(Just so you know, I'm pretty critical of our President. I just find it laughable at how you flakes react to everything--just as bad as the far righties that claimed Obama was either Kenyan or the anti-Christ lol)

Definitely homophobic. 

Just remember it next time ole Adam pulls the Trump-is-homophobic card. I’m sure Adam won’t have any issue admitting to his hypocrisy.

Beto O'Rourke suggests just removing all walls/barriers/fences, specifically El Paso.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/14/politics/...index.html

(02-15-2019, 03:22 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Beto O'Rourke suggests just removing all walls/barriers/fences, specifically El Paso.

Yep. These primaries are going to be fun. Crazy Uncle Joe will end up looking the most normal guy up there. Isn't that insane?

(02-15-2019, 03:22 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Beto O'Rourke suggests just removing all walls/barriers/fences, specifically El Paso.

If they aren't effective, what do you gain in removing them?

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/43028...esident-is

This didn't seem to merit its own thread, but putting it in amongst discussion of the spending bill (which is what got Coulter fired up) makes sense.

"The only national emergency is that our President is an idiot."
-Ann Coulter, Feb. 15, 2019

(02-12-2019, 10:17 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Not been following, so I assume the Mexicans have sent the money?

They did, but they had to send it back to Mexico to then send it back to the US.  It's complicated.

(02-15-2019, 11:58 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 10:17 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Not been following, so I assume the Mexicans have sent the money?

They did, but they had to send it back to Mexico to then send it back to the US.  It's complicated.

But hey, the banks make their transaction fees.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-15-2019, 11:13 PM)TJBender Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/media/43028...esident-is

This didn't seem to merit its own thread, but putting it in amongst discussion of the spending bill (which is what got Coulter fired up) makes sense.

Who? Is that the woman that a few on here claim is Trumps puppet master?

(02-15-2019, 11:13 PM)TJBender Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/media/43028...esident-is

Coulter was known for a bit more scholarship and sense of history than a lot of her peers.  I'm glad she's jumping off the wagon.  Could have done so a lot sooner.  I hope she considers her own role in what has gone wrong and writes a book about that, or at least offers some interviews.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-17-2019, 06:39 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Coulter was known for a bit more scholarship and sense of history than a lot of her peers.  I'm glad she's jumping off the wagon.  Could have done so a lot sooner.  I hope she considers her own role in what has gone wrong and writes a book about that, or at least offers some interviews.

If you've never heard Bill O'Reilly discuss American history, particularly back when he used to be a frequent guest on NPR, you're missing out.