Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.

(02-15-2019, 02:47 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: How is this political? More importantly, why is this something you worry about? It’s not as if you get voted off the board after a certain number of negatives.

Ooh can we?  Oh wait, we're dropping members without any help.  Never mind.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 05:23 PM by TJBender.)

(02-15-2019, 03:21 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 02:47 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: How is this political? More importantly, why is this something you worry about? It’s not as if you get voted off the board after a certain number of negatives.

A newcomer might read a thread, and just see the number, and think, "everyone hates this guy" when really it's more like, "just one or two people really hate this guy".

We have newcomers?

For whatever it's worth, I hate online popularity contests. I'd just as soon remove reputation entirely if asked for my opinion.

I think my reputation should be like at least 3-4 thousand. Just because I am so frigging awesome. Carry on.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 05:44 PM by copycat.)

I feel inadequate compared to you two fine upstanding citizen's of The Pride.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-15-2019, 03:21 PM)mikesez Wrote:

A newcomer might read a thread, and just see the number, and think, "everyone hates this guy" when really it's more like, "just one or two people really hate this guy".

@I usually check to see if the poster has started any threads about ratings points before judging them.@

Frankly, if someone is using some number beside your name to decide whether you are a commenter worth reading, or whether the comment you posted is worthwhile, their opinion is probably not worth worrying about.

(02-13-2019, 10:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: What is the appropriate use of the reputation button?

Do you just use positive reputation to posts yuo agree with and negative reputation for posts you disagree with?

How do you think it should be used?

I only use it on you whenever you use it on me, and only if your post truly is asinine and deserves it.

So I'm pretty glad you started this thread.

It sets the record straight on the fraud of your signature..

You never thought people could look at a poster's reputation history and see the truth on who's up/down voting for who and when, did you?  Well, they can.

Lessons:

1. Don't be so petty.

2. Not caring what other people think is a superpower.  People will post things you don't like.  No need to get triggered and respond.  every.  single.  time.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(02-16-2019, 11:34 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 10:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: What is the appropriate use of the reputation button?

Do you just use positive reputation to posts yuo agree with and negative reputation for posts you disagree with?

I only use it on you whenever you use it on me, and only if your post truly is asinine and deserves it.

You never thought people could look at a poster's reputation history and see the truth on who's up/down voting for who and when, did you?  Well, they can.

Lessons:

1. Don't be so petty.

2. Not caring what other people think is a superpower.  People will post things you don't like.  No need to get triggered and respond.  every.  single.  time.

But...but....b-b-but someone is WRONG on the internet!!!!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I never use the down vote, only the up vote for posts I like. That said, I think fretting about your reputation score is beneath you.

(02-15-2019, 05:26 PM)Jagwired Wrote: I think my reputation should be like at least 3-4 thousand. Just because I am so frigging awesome. Carry on.

3-4 thousand is negative 3,997

(02-17-2019, 09:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 11:34 PM)pirkster Wrote: I only use it on you whenever you use it on me, and only if your post truly is asinine and deserves it.

Lessons:

1. Don't be so petty.

But...but....b-b-but someone is WRONG on the internet!!!!!

He is wrong.  I mean he's right that the truth is in the reputation history, but he's wrong that it vindicates him.
He started this on July 23rd 2018 at 11:11 a.m.
I responded 3 hours later.
The pattern continues on and on.
The only times I have ever gotten irked enough at him to negative rate him, is when I notice that he has just done so to me.  
Call it petty if you want. Reputation is meant indicate that you are respectful and can stay on topic. If you see something and disagree with you have three choices here. One, you can ignore it and move on. Two, you can reply with why you think that person is wrong. Or three, you can put a little flag on that person's reputation that everybody sees and indicate to others that they can't stay on topic and are disrespectful to other posters. Three is obviously the most petty choice possible. Call me petty if you want, but I am not the most petty person on this thread.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-15-2019, 01:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The button doesn't even work for me as I use the throwback version of the board.

But yeah, I'd upvote a post here and there that struck me as very agreeable, making a keen point, or very funny.
If I could. 

I'm also on board with it going away entirely as there are just enough spiteful folks around that like to abuse the feature by downvoting someone they disagree with repeatedly.
If only I knew someone of real influence around here...

Congrats, you earned a rep point.

(02-17-2019, 09:26 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 09:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: But...but....b-b-but someone is WRONG on the internet!!!!!

He is wrong.  I mean he's right that the truth is in the reputation history, but he's wrong that it vindicates him.
The only times I have ever gotten irked enough at him to negative rate him, is when I notice that he has just done so to me.  
Call it petty if you want. Reputation is meant indicate that you are respectful and can stay on topic. If you see something and disagree with you have three choices here. One, you can ignore it and move on. Two, you can reply with why you think that person is wrong. Or three, you can put a little flag on that person's reputation that everybody sees and indicate to others that they can't stay on topic and are disrespectful to other posters. Three is obviously the most petty choice possible. Call me petty if you want, but I am not the most petty person on this thread.

Starting this thread is like PettyBoost3000.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-15-2019, 01:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

The button doesn't even work for me as I use the throwback version of the board.

But yeah, I'd upvote a post here and there that struck me as very agreeable, making a keen point, or very funny.
If I could. 

I'm also on board with it going away entirely as there are just enough spiteful folks around that like to abuse the feature by downvoting someone they disagree with repeatedly.
If only I knew someone of real influence around here...

I agree completely.

(02-17-2019, 09:26 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 09:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: But...but....b-b-but someone is WRONG on the internet!!!!!

You admitted you only down voted him because he down voted a post of yours. That’s pretty much textbook pettiness. You revenged voted him down, and now you’re complaining because he’s doing the same thing to you. Can you really be mad at him for something you started?

And btw, a thumbs down just means someone didn’t like your comment. That’s all. You give it WAY too much power over you.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2019, 09:02 AM by mikesez.)

(02-17-2019, 11:56 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 09:26 PM)mikesez Wrote: He is wrong.  I mean he's right that the truth is in the reputation history, but he's wrong that it vindicates him.

You admitted you only down voted him because he down voted a post of yours. That’s pretty much textbook pettiness. You revenged voted him down, and now you’re complaining because he’s doing the same thing to you. Can you really be mad at him for something you started?

And btw, a thumbs down just means someone didn’t like your comment. That’s all. You give it WAY too much power over you.

It wasn't just about revenge. I only ever downvote comments that I don't agree with. 
But like I said I don't think it's right to downvote somebody just because you don't agree with them when they're otherwise being respectful and staying on topic.
But apparently other people think it's just fine to downvote someone for this reason.
So I get revenge on them by imitating their exact behavior. Find a comment I disagree with and downvote it.
Normally I'd just leave the button alone.

(02-18-2019, 08:28 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 11:56 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: You admitted you only down voted him because he down voted a post of yours. That’s pretty much textbook pettiness. You revenged voted him down, and now you’re complaining because he’s doing the same thing to you. Can you really be mad at him for something you started?

It wasn't just about revenge. I only ever downvote comments that I don't agree with. 
But like I said I don't think it's right to downvote somebody just because you don't agree with them when they're otherwise being respectful and staying on topic.
But apparently other people think it's just fine to downvote someone for this reason.
So I get revenge on them by imitating their exact behavior. Find a comment I disagree with and downvote it.
Normally I'd just leave the button alone.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. The typical computer processor runs around 40-45C during normal use, much hotter if it's a laptop. 45C is 113F. The average temperature in Phoenix in July, the hottest month of the year for those poor bastards, is 106F, or 41C. Therefore, your computer is running hotter than Phoenix in July. That's not cold. Your revenge is bad and you should feel bad.

(02-17-2019, 08:54 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 05:26 PM)Jagwired Wrote: I think my reputation should be like at least 3-4 thousand. Just because I am so frigging awesome. Carry on.

3-4 thousand is negative 3,997

Give us all a week, I'm sure we can make this happen!

(02-17-2019, 09:26 PM)mikesez Wrote: He is wrong.  I mean he's right that the truth is in the reputation history, but he's wrong that it vindicates him.

That's your assertion as to what the reputation points represent. I don't remember reading in the terms and conditions that negative rep means your commentary should be ignored, or that high rep means you are elite when it comes to staying on topic.

When someone gives you negative rep, you have three choices here.
1) You can be petty and downvote them in response, for no other reason;
2) You can call them out with a response in the thread (or update your sig);
3) You can ignore it an move on.

You'll probably downvote me for this response. I'll survive, somehow.

Three pages.

Get a life, people.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2019, 06:58 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(02-18-2019, 10:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Three pages.

Get a life, people.

*Looks at 12k + posts with 300+ reputation*

Hmm, I must be doing something wrong, cause I sure don't have that life.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.