Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Boating and Offshore/Inshore Fishing

Curious if anyone around is into boating and/or inshore/offshore fishing? We enjoy going out crabbing and catching redfish on occasion. Haven't made it offshore for the bigger stuff...yet. We also don't mind just a lazy cruise for some good ol' vitamin D and food!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’m into the inshore stuff.

No boat currently, but I have a few friends with boats and I’ll occasionally borrow my Dad’s skiff.

I like getting after the Reds in Clapboard Creek.

I frequent the backwaters and main channel of the intracoastal between Beach Blvd. and Palm Valley generally at least once a week. Have a 16ft Stumpknocker that fits the bill beautifully. Regularly limit on Reds, flounder. I don't much care for the trout. This year has been great for some big Sheepshead. The freezer is always stuffed. I fish mainly live bait but will throw artificial as well.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2019, 11:52 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I live in Ohio, so I don't have access to the ocean, but during the spring, summer and part of the fall I'm normally at the local reservoir anywhere from 2-3 days a week. We mainly fish for bluegill, crappie, walleye, catfish, bass and stripers. It's my favorite thing on earth to do. I have a Bass Tracker Pro Guide V-175 with a 90 HP 2 stroke engine.

I got a deal on a 28' offshore boat a couple years back, but I'm rarely home to enjoy it. I've gone mackerel and bottom fishing with it, and yeah, I'd like to do it more.

Fuel costs sure do make it hard, though. Also, zoning means I have to move it out of my yard, so it's getting to be more trouble than it's worth.

I'll get rid of it next year, but dammit, I'm going after some tuna this year before she goes.

Canoers who get lost. That's what I like.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2019, 09:24 AM by B2hibry.)

We’ve got a Robalo 222ex that is a pretty good combination of family and fish. Surprisingly gets into some pretty skinny water. I can hit backwater, river and ocean comfortably. Easy to limit on redfish and flounder. Gold spoon or shrimp popper get er done. Eventually I’d like to get offshore but pretty content with inshore at the moment. Kind of a lazy fisherman so inshore suits me.

(02-28-2019, 10:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Canoers who get lost. That's what I like.

Throw kayak in there and Jax is your place!

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2019, 09:31 AM by Caldrac.)

I love it. Me and my dad pretty much live for it. If I could quit my job today and fish everyday instead I would. I dig inshore fishing. My dad and I have kayaks but he was able to rig them with foot pedals and trolling motors on the back. So it's pretty cool. We can get from point A to point B with relative ease. A simple marine battery is all you need and as long as you have a heavy duty kayak with high weight capacity it's a non issue. And it sure as hell beats paddling against the wind and current when the weather starts to turn.

We mostly fish for Redfish and Trout. We personally stick to top water lures. It works. It's fun. We usually hit the same spots around here between Brown's Creek, White Shell, Clapboard and Sister's Creek damn near every Saturday or Sunday if the weather permits. We don't mind the heat, cold or rain. We go year round. But it's usually the damn wind that will kill any plans for us.

Not a fan of Mayport. But I would say most days are fair. We chase after schools of fish. They're typically around oyster beds and the grass lines. Really fun horsing them in on top water lures though. Nothing beats that submarine like rise from underneath and that quick "POP" noise they make when they hit the lure. You know you've got a good one too when it's a drag and "see ya!" type of peel.

If we could afford a boat we would have gone that route years ago. But we make do with what we've got. As long as there's fish. That's all that matters. Sometimes once in awhile we'll just stop and grab a bag of dead shrimp, head out to Ponte Vedra beach and just fish and knock a few back. Mostly pull Catfish and Whiting out there. Whiting is good eating though. Little bit of Old Bay and Lemon in a pan fried up with it is solid.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-28-2019, 09:59 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: I got a deal on a 28' offshore boat a couple years back, but I'm rarely home to enjoy it.  I've gone mackerel and bottom fishing with it, and yeah, I'd like to do it more.

Fuel costs sure do make it hard, though.  Also, zoning means I have to move it out of my yard, so it's getting to be more trouble than it's worth.

I'll get rid of it next year, but dammit, I'm going after some tuna this year before she goes.

Nice! Yeah, it can be expensive for sure. Fuel is no joke! But we’ve kind of gotten used to all that is a pain in the [BLEEP] and try to brush off the stress. Nothing flat water, sea breeze, and a cold beverage can’t cure!

(03-01-2019, 09:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I love it. Me and my dad pretty much live for it. If I could quit my job today and fish everyday instead I would. I dig inshore fishing. My dad and I have kayaks but he was able to rig them with foot pedals and trolling motors on the back. So it's pretty cool. We can get from point A to point B with relative ease. A simple marine battery is all you need and as long as you have a heavy duty kayak with high weight capacity it's a non issue. And it sure as hell beats paddling against the wind and current when the weather starts to turn.

We mostly fish for Redfish and Trout. We personally stick to top water lures. It works. It's fun. We usually hit the same spots around here between Brown's Creek, White Shell, Clapboard and Sister's Creek damn near every Saturday or Sunday if the weather permits. We don't mind the heat, cold or rain. We go year round. But it's usually the damn wind that will kill any plans for us.

Not a fan of Mayport. But I would say most days are fair. We chase after schools of fish. They're typically around oyster beds and the grass lines. Really fun horsing them in on top water lures though. Nothing beats that submarine like rise from underneath and that quick "POP" noise they make when they hit the lure. You know you've got a good one too when it's a drag and "see ya!" type of peel.

If we could afford a boat we would have gone that route years ago. But we make do with what we've got. As long as there's fish. That's all that matters. Sometimes once in awhile we'll just stop and grab a bag of dead shrimp, head out to Ponte Vedra beach and just fish and knock a few back. Mostly pull Catfish and Whiting out there. Whiting is good eating though. Little bit of Old Bay and Lemon in a pan fried up with it is solid.

Beds and grass is where it’s at! Have you eaten any of the trout in the area? I gave it ago but the flavor seems off. In the Destin area, the trout is on point! 

When I retired I had every intention of fishing my butt off but there always seems to be some distraction. It has taken a backseat to just cruising at the moment. Trying to get kids into fishing so I have a good excuse but they just assume screw off in the water. Impatient suckers!

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2019, 10:12 AM by Caldrac.)

(03-01-2019, 09:39 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(03-01-2019, 09:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I love it. Me and my dad pretty much live for it. If I could quit my job today and fish everyday instead I would. I dig inshore fishing. My dad and I have kayaks but he was able to rig them with foot pedals and trolling motors on the back. So it's pretty cool. We can get from point A to point B with relative ease. A simple marine battery is all you need and as long as you have a heavy duty kayak with high weight capacity it's a non issue. And it sure as hell beats paddling against the wind and current when the weather starts to turn.

Beds and grass is where it’s at! Have you eaten any of the trout in the area? I gave it ago but the flavor seems off. In the Destin area, the trout is on point! 

When I retired I had every intention of fishing my butt off but there always seems to be some distraction. It has taken a backseat to just cruising at the moment. Trying to get kids into fishing so I have a good excuse but they just assume screw off in the water. Impatient suckers!

I haven't tried the trout around here. I might though now that you mention it. 

Fishing does require a ton of patience. I'll be 31 next month. I have two younger brothers. One is 24 and the other is 19. They're not even willing to get up at 400 AM to be on the water by 500 AM at that age. LOL. It's not for everybody. And I get that. And I understand that. But with my dad nearing 53 in June. You just never know when his time might be up. Especially in our family. Men are lucky to make it past 60. I need to get on some grandchildren for him and my mom though. 

When me and my brothers were younger we used to fish the living day lights out of any pond we found. Always had a pole and bag of white bread or worms on us to catch brim and bass. It was fun.

I plan on teaching my children how to fish. It's been a family tradition for years. I want to keep it moving forward.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-01-2019, 10:10 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-01-2019, 09:39 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Beds and grass is where it’s at! Have you eaten any of the trout in the area? I gave it ago but the flavor seems off. In the Destin area, the trout is on point! 

I haven't tried the trout around here. I might though now that you mention it. 

Fishing does require a ton of patience. I'll be 31 next month. I have two younger brothers. One is 24 and the other is 19. They're not even willing to get up at 400 AM to be on the water by 500 AM at that age. LOL. It's not for everybody. And I get that. And I understand that. But with my dad nearing 53 in June. You just never know when his time might be up. Especially in our family. Men are lucky to make it past 60. I need to get on some grandchildren for him and my mom though. 

When me and my brothers were younger we used to fish the living day lights out of any pond we found. Always had a pole and bag of white bread or worms on us to catch brim and bass. It was fun.

I plan on teaching my children how to fish. It's been a family tradition for years. I want to keep it moving forward.

Yeah hard to get others to jump on board a personal passion. Growing up in south Florida I was getting up at 5am on a Saturday to head out bass fishing in our local canals. I'd pack a lunch and my tackle to be gone all day. My mom never questioned it, even at 11 and 12 years old. My kids enjoy fishing but only in 30 minute chunks. They get distracted easily which I expect. At least there is some bonding time that I'm sure they can look back on later in life. Memories is what it is all about!

(03-01-2019, 09:23 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 10:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Canoers who get lost. That's what I like.

He was referring to the movie Deliverance.  Throw in a banjo and a few lost innocent dudes and homebiscuit is set for the weekend.

(03-01-2019, 12:49 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

He was referring to the movie Deliverance.  Throw in a banjo and a few lost innocent dudes and homebiscuit is set for the weekend.

They won’t be innocent for long.

(03-01-2019, 12:49 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

I got that. Apparently you haven't been to the back waters of Jax!

Canoes, kayaks - they all squeal the same.

This past Saturday's main haul in's. Caught some rain too. But worth it. [Image: 4c430427a9a13ea920c85c71eacd9e78.jpg][Image: bf3c32ce44ece87a82bbf6ebd0d50694.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

(03-04-2019, 09:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This past Saturday's main haul in's. Caught some rain too. But worth it. [Image: 4c430427a9a13ea920c85c71eacd9e78.jpg][Image: bf3c32ce44ece87a82bbf6ebd0d50694.jpg]

Nice! And on top water lure? Tried gold spoon yet?

(03-04-2019, 10:00 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This past Saturday's main haul in's. Caught some rain too. But worth it. [Image: 4c430427a9a13ea920c85c71eacd9e78.jpg][Image: bf3c32ce44ece87a82bbf6ebd0d50694.jpg]

Nice! And on top water lure? Tried gold spoon yet?

All top water. Haven't tried those lures yet. Usually have a ton of luck with just Heddon's Spook Jr's. We recently switched out of treble hooks on those though and opted for single hooks instead. Seems to work better at the moment.

Pretty fish Caldrac!  You weren't able to keep that, were you?