Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN Ticker - Jaguars Expected to Sign Foles

I'll believe it when I see it..

If it's true though, at least that means we'll be in the running for Trevor Lawrence in 2 years.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-03-2019, 02:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I know I'll sound like a dumbstupidhead for asking this, but why can't we sign Foles and draft Haskins?

Signing Foles likely means they believe they can win now. Sure they could draft a QB in round one, but if that's what they believe, Foles will need additional help on offense because just adding him isn't going to magically fill all the other holes that remain. Who knows, maybe they do believe that QB is the only thing holding back the offense, but I feel like we're going to be in for a rude awakening if that's the case.

(03-03-2019, 04:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: Does anyone actually think we are SB contenders with Foles? I don't think we'll even be the best team in our division

Depends on what they get done at OL and TE - and of course staying more healthy on offense in general. But I think they could contend for the division with Foles plus those fixes.

(03-03-2019, 05:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 04:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: Does anyone actually think we are SB contenders with Foles? I don't think we'll even be the best team in our division

Depends on what they get done at OL and TE - and of course staying more healthy on offense in general. But I think they could contend for the division with Foles plus those fixes.

Agreed.  The AFC South is going to be a battle next year.  Could be one of those years that 9-7 wins the division.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(03-03-2019, 05:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Hmm, a rookie TE might grab 40-50 catches, but a DK Metcalf can probably catch more his first year and bench press a few corners in the run game. Give me a potential #1 receiver in the top 10 over just about any TE, especially a non-freak athlete one or the unproductive freak who sat behind the non-freak
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Good. This is the model we should have taken last year: trade for Alex Smith, draft a second or third round kid and let him learn behind a competent starter. I get the sense that's what's going to happen here. Add Foles (added bonus, keep the third-rounder we would have had to give up to get him), add a rookie knowing that we have the freedom to develop him, not have to start him on day one, and get a player who can help right now in round one (offensive line por favor).

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2019, 05:49 PM by Steelers Beaches.)

And this post got moved too? Welcome the crazy. Discussing Foles getting signed by Jax is just a general football subject, not specific to the Jags at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMl94J6fbDw

(03-03-2019, 05:33 PM)TJBender Wrote: Good. This is the model we should have taken last year: trade for Alex Smith, draft a second or third round kid and let him learn behind a competent starter. I get the sense that's what's going to happen here. Add Foles (added bonus, keep the third-rounder we would have had to give up to get him), add a rookie knowing that we have the freedom to develop him, not have to start him on day one, and get a player who can help right now in round one (offensive line por favor).
Except that Mahomes was a first rounder. I wouldn’t want to develop any of this year’s scrubs after Haskins and Lock. Just suck for Lawrence if Foles fails.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Nick Foles career passer rating on 3rd down : 77

Some other Qbs:

Bortles: 68
Ryan: 95
Mariota: 87
Dalton: 82
Stafford: 80
Carr: 84
Flacco: 82
Keenum: 76
Tannehill: 74

I like it in that Foles is an upgrade over Bortles and/or Kessler. Use the draft to fortify the offense, and the team should contend. This team, in all likelihood, was (is) not going to give away this and future drafts in order to move up to get Haskins. And, although I like Haskins, I don't think he is a lock to be a good enough NFL QB to give away the now and future.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2019, 06:35 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-03-2019, 03:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 03:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Looks like the FO is trying to give this team the best chance to win a SB
For a single season.

Signing Foles does not give this team the best shot at continued success.

How old do you think Foles is?

Yes, just have to give him some help in the draft and be somewhat healthy

Love it use the draft to work on the oline now
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(03-03-2019, 05:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/theStevenRuiz/status...6040967168

Thats one way to interpret the stats

another: With Foles, they played 3 of the top rush defenses and were struggling to run leading up to Wentz getting injured. They were trying to support the run game with a short yardage passing game, a slight scheme shift from when they were running the ball well. Foles executed the scheme shift to a 4-1 record.

Mr Ruiz also forgot to mention right after Foles in the Average completed airs statistic is Stafford and Big Gen.

(03-03-2019, 07:00 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 05:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/theStevenRuiz/status...6040967168

Thats one way to interpret the stats

another: With Foles, they played 3 of the top rush defenses and were struggling to run leading up to Wentz getting injured. They were trying to support the run game with a short yardage passing game, a slight scheme shift from when they were running the ball well. Foles executed the scheme shift to a 4-1 record.

Mr Ruiz also forgot to mention right after Foles in the Average completed airs statistic is Stafford and Big Gen.

Houston was a good run defense the others were not. 

That's exactly the point he's making btw , that Foles's success was largely a creation of the scheme in 2018. They put training wheels on him and let him dump off on screens and quick passes to avoid pressure....when he was asked to throw past 5 yards he was not good at all.

(03-03-2019, 05:15 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 05:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Depends on what they get done at OL and TE - and of course staying more healthy on offense in general. But I think they could contend for the division with Foles plus those fixes.

Hmm, a rookie TE might grab 40-50 catches, but a DK Metcalf can probably catch more his first year and bench press a few corners in the run game. Give me a potential #1 receiver in the top 10 over just about any TE, especially a non-freak athlete one or the unproductive freak who sat behind the non-freak
In the scenario I described, O-line would be my first round focus. 

Metcalf, of course would make an impact as well. I simply believe the situation at RG/RT to be in much more dire straits than the WR situation.
TE meanhile has a completely bare cupboard. It absolutely must be stocked.

If the team ranks a receiver’s impact above those glaring needs, he better be a generational talent IMO.

The only way in in favor of getting Foles is if we get the best QB available by round 2. I don't think Grier makes it past the 2nd round. I don't think you can count on Foles being the franchise quarterback, but he can have a part in being the bridge. If he works out better than we think, then we are a good position.

(03-03-2019, 07:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 07:00 PM)jagshype Wrote: Thats one way to interpret the stats

Houston was a good run defense the others were not. 

That's exactly the point he's making btw , that Foles's success was largely a creation of the scheme in 2018. They put training wheels on him and let him dump off on screens and quick passes to avoid pressure....when he was asked to throw past 5 yards he was not good at all.

Chicago, New Orleans, Houston Top 5 Defense in rush yards and yards per attempt.

The scheme wasnt because of the pass rush and Foles supposed poor performance throwing past 5 yards but because of the Eagles inability to run the ball and the rush defenses faced. So they ran more short yardage quick hitting passes to supplement the run game.

Those stats are a result of the scheme shift and specific gameplans.

We cant make broad assumptions on 5 games worth of data. What Ruiz interprets as training wheels, can easily be described as shifting variables of the NFL. I could probably find a five game stretch by Wentz that can come to the same conclusion as Ruiz

Sneak peak of Foles and Caldwell working on that contract:

[Image: FB-IMG-1551655932577.jpg]

This seem really early for this leak, and given it has been leaked to a Philly source, Jeff McLane, that everyone is using I'm a little skeptical. This seems like what Foles' agent would leak to let other teams know, "We are talking to this team and he is going for under market value, why don't you also going the bidding?"

Essentially, I don't think this is as assured as it is being made out to be.