Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Metcalf or Hockenson
Metcalf
Hockenson
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Metcalf or Hockenson

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 07:51 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://youtu.be/32OHEh3s6ak

Great breakdown from Vooch. The more you watch of Hockenson the more impressive it is. He is easily the guy I want in the first. He is the best TE prospect I can remember and arguably our biggest need. Some of his plays are ridiculous, it's like men among boys at times for him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-25-2019, 12:30 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 08:53 AM)Upper Wrote: Come again?

my opinion of me-O in negligible.

You can say what you want about TO as a person and it'd be hard to find many people who'd disagree with you about that, but you can't deny his abilities and talents on the field. He's arguably the 3rd best WR of all time.

(03-25-2019, 07:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://youtu.be/32OHEh3s6ak

Great breakdown from Vooch.  The more you watch of Hockenson the more impressive it is.  He is easily the guy I want in the first.  He is the best TE prospect I can remember and arguably our biggest need. Some of his plays are ridiculous, it's like men among boys at times for him.

I wish he created a little more separation in his routes, but I really like what I've seen of him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Hockenson. Please not Jawaan Taylor.
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES 
ATLANTS BRAVES 

(03-04-2019, 01:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Only if we traded down a few spots. Neither is worth #7. We absolutely have to trade down if we get Foles, because there isn't an offensive player in this draft, (other than Haskins) worthy of that high of a pick. If we traded down into the #11 to #15 range, I would definitely take Hockenson though. People seem enamored with Metcalf's size/speed combo, but D.J. Chark is the same height and ran almost the exact same 40 time last year and didn't have the history of injuries Metcalf does. Hockenson is a much more productive player than Metcalf, but it's a toss up for me between TE's Hockenson and Noah Fant. I love them both. Personally, if I were to trade down after acquiring Foles, I would take the best OG/OT in the draft, Cody Ford. Foles is gonna need a lot of protection, because in Jacksonville, he isn't gonna have Peters, Kelce and Johnson in front of him. Instead, he's gonna have last year's cast of "The Walking Dead." We can find our TE in round 2. This is an unbelievably deep class.

I keep seeing Hockenson going top 10, including several mocking him to the Lions at #8. I don't see the logic behind trading down and praying he'd still be there.

As for the OL, we need a Right Tackle. The rest of the starting OL is set.
'02

As bad as Metcalfs 20 shuttle was, just found out if was the same as Deandre Hopkins

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dean...id=2540165

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/d.k.-metca...746f1b94aa

Calvin Johnson didnt do the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle because he knew has wasnt very good at it. Metcalf excelled at everything else.

I really think Metcalf overtrained and got too big too. I think whoever drafts him will have him slim down some and he'll gain agility while still being a beast everywhere else.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2019, 10:20 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-04-2019, 10:07 PM)Upper Wrote: I really think Metcalf overtrained and got too big too. I think whoever drafts him will have him slim down some and he'll gain agility while still being a beast everywhere else.

I think Metcalf will be a beast in the league.  Teams wont have him running every route three in the playbook.  I dont think we take him but I'd love it if we did.  If we can trade back with Cinci or Mia and gain extra picks and Hockenson is off the board, I'd take Metcalf

My issue with Metcalf is his ability to stay healthy. That is it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-04-2019, 10:15 PM)Dimson Wrote: My issue with Metcalf is his ability to stay healthy. That is it.

And I'd bet that is one of the biggest questions going forward about him, yea? 

A fracture in your C3 or C4 (can't remember which one he had off the top of my head) vertebrae is no joke. He even said himself, that he isn't suppose to be where he is at right now after that (can't remember the exact words he used, he said it at the combine in a interview). That is a serious injury to overcome, let alone being able to play football again. It's definitely something that can't be over looked.

(04-04-2019, 10:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 10:07 PM)Upper Wrote: I really think Metcalf overtrained and got too big too. I think whoever drafts him will have him slim down some and he'll gain agility while still being a beast everywhere else.

I think Metcalf will be a beast in the league.  Teams wont have him running every route three in the playbook.  I dont think we take him but I'd love it if we did.  If we can trade back with Cinci or Mia and gain extra picks and Hockenson is off the board, I'd take Metcalf
Metcalf isn't even the best WR in this class. He's big and fast but so are a lot of WRs.

(04-05-2019, 10:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 10:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Metcalf will be a beast in the league.  Teams wont have him running every route three in the playbook.  I dont think we take him but I'd love it if we did.  If we can trade back with Cinci or Mia and gain extra picks and Hockenson is off the board, I'd take Metcalf
Metcalf isn't even the best WR in this class. He's big and fast but so are a lot of WRs.

What WR is as big and as fast as Metcalf?

(04-05-2019, 11:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 10:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Metcalf isn't even the best WR in this class. He's big and fast but so are a lot of WRs.

What WR is as big and as fast as Metcalf?
So those are the only two qualities that make for a great WR? Metcalf is not quick at all which showed up in his lateral drills. He can't seem to stay healthy and doesn't have great hands.

I bet you Butler, Brown and Campbell have better pro careers than Metcalf.

(04-05-2019, 12:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 11:32 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What WR is as big and as fast as Metcalf?
So those are the only two qualities that make for a great WR? Metcalf is not quick at all which showed up in his lateral drills. He can't seem to stay healthy and doesn't have great hands.

I bet you Butler, Brown and Campbell have better pro careers than Metcalf.

When you're that big and that fast you dont have to have great lateral skills.  You dont have to be able to run every route three in the playbook like Antonio Brown does.  That said he has the same 20 yard shuttle as Hopkins.  Calvin Johnson didnt reun the 20 yard shuttle or 3 cone at the combine because he didnt have great lateral movement which he didnt have to.  It's funny you say something about Metcalfs hands but you love Butler lol.  Butler makes the easiest catches look hard

All I know is I'm not falling in love with Metcalf because of a shirtless pic while Hockensen has been proving his value on the football field. I'll take Hockensen all day.

Not understanding people who say we should pass on a TE and wait until later rounds, at all.There are serviceable TEs later, sure.  However there are plenty of OL/RT later as well.  Fant and Hock both represent potential elite talent, weapons to give our new franchises QB, and threats we may not have even really had.  I don’t believe either Taylor or Williams represent the difference maker that Fant or Hock do, especially in context to this team- although I’d lean heavily towards Williams over Taylor. 

Also, Osher, Lag and Boselli make no sense when they say “We have to surround Foles with weapons!!” Then say we should draft any old DE....

They just say “TE class is deep” without really saying what alternative there would be later that is going to do ANYTHING.  

I don’t care about the value of pick 7 versus having to trade down either to justify TE. Go get your guy....your difference maker.  Your offense changing talent. 

I’d rather do that then go another year with so few weapons, regardless of how well it is blocked up.  Again, you can get solid RTs later, ion R2, and maybe even R3, that can get the job done. 

Having another year where your main TE threat is O’Shannausey is something I’d hope to avoid, at a high cost.

For me, it's either Hockenson or Oliver unless Williams drops. No doubt, Oliver may turn out to be incredibly disruptive and a perennial pro-bowler. I just feel it's time to focus on the tight end position since prospects like Hockenson don't come along that often. If I had a crystal ball and knew Smith would be there in the 2nd round, I'd take Oliver. Unfortunately the chances are at least 50-50 that he won't be meaning that the Jags reach for a tight end like Knox or Sternberger in the 2nd or pass on tight end til round 3. Hockenson is my pick.

(04-05-2019, 10:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 10:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Metcalf will be a beast in the league.  Teams wont have him running every route three in the playbook.  I dont think we take him but I'd love it if we did.  If we can trade back with Cinci or Mia and gain extra picks and Hockenson is off the board, I'd take Metcalf

Best WR is a subjective term. Ask yourself who is the best for this team.

For instance, I have seen Marquise Brown ranked higher, but Marquise is a 168-lb WR coming off a Liz Frank injury. We already have tiny WRs. What we can use far more is Megatron 2.0. Who fits that role better?
'02

(04-07-2019, 09:59 AM)nate Wrote: Not understanding people who say we should pass on a TE and wait until later rounds, at all.There are serviceable TEs later, sure.  However there are plenty of OL/RT later as well.  Fant and Hock both represent potential elite talent, weapons to give our new franchises QB, and threats we may not have even really had.  I don’t believe either Taylor or Williams represent the difference maker that Fant or Hock do, especially in context to this team- although I’d lean heavily towards Williams over Taylor. 

Also, Osher, Lag and Boselli make no sense when they say “We have to surround Foles with weapons!!” Then say we should draft any old DE....

They just say “TE class is deep” without really saying what alternative there would be later that is going to do ANYTHING.  

I don’t care about the value of pick 7 versus having to trade down either to justify TE. Go get your guy....your difference maker.  Your offense changing talent. 

I’d rather do that then go another year with so few weapons, regardless of how well it is blocked up.  Again, you can get solid RTs later, ion R2, and maybe even R3, that can get the job done. 

Having another year where your main TE threat is O’Shannausey is something I’d hope to avoid, at a high cost.

I hear you, and Hockenson is my top pick for the #7 spot. That said, if we don't get Hockenson, or his teammate Fant, then I figure we don't even go TE until later. After whiffing on these two, you don't really see that difference maker at TE. I'd probably go RT, WR (Parris Campbell) and LB with my top three picks if we miss on Hockenson early. If we do get Hockenson or Fant, then I'd go RT in round two followed by a WR. 
'02

(04-08-2019, 02:28 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 10:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Metcalf isn't even the best WR in this class. He's big and fast but so are a lot of WRs.

Best WR is a subjective term. Ask yourself who is the best for this team.

For instance, I have seen Marquise Brown ranked higher, but Marquise is a 168-lb WR coming off a Liz Frank injury. We already have tiny WRs. What we can use far more is Megatron 2.0. Who fits that role better?

Lee - 6'0" - 198
Chark - 6'4" - 198
Conley 6'3" - 205
Cole - 6'1"  - 194
Westbrook - 6'0"  - 178

Westbrook is a little bit light, but he takes a hit better than plenty of receivers that outweigh him by 30 pounds. 

I can understand the desire to fit a big-bodied receiver into the X spot for the Jags, but saying we have tiny receivers is inaccurate.