Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Woman who left US to join Islamic State loses round in court

(03-06-2019, 12:00 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 06:24 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Bring her back and charge her with treason. Win the conviction then put her to death.

What is it about women that scare right-wingers to death?

It has nothing to do with women and everything to do with terrorists or those that sympathize with them.  My guess is that you weren't even alive when the attacks happened on 9/11/01 nor were you alive during Desert Shield/Desert Storm.  If you were, you probably were too young to realize just what exactly happened and the reason(s) why.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

She might have a supporter in Congress. When Ilhan Omar was asked by a reporter today if she was antisemitic, she refused to answer.

(03-06-2019, 12:00 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 06:24 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Bring her back and charge her with treason. Win the conviction then put her to death.

What is it about women that scare right-wingers to death?

Dude really?  You have become such a one trick pony it is sad.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(03-06-2019, 07:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: She might have a supporter in Congress. When Ilhan Omar was asked by a reporter today if she was antisemitic, she refused to answer.

I really don't want to change the subject here.
But Arabs are Semites and Ilhan Omar does not hate herself.

As to the more precise question of if she hates Jews, she has Jewish friends and some Jews are defending her.

I think we should spend a little more time deciding if what she is saying is true, and a little less time virtue signaling and pearl clutching about whether or not it's the kind of thing that a racist or anti-Jewish person would say.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-06-2019, 08:15 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 07:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: She might have a supporter in Congress. When Ilhan Omar was asked by a reporter today if she was antisemitic, she refused to answer.

I really don't want to change the subject here.

As to the more precise question of if she hates Jews, she has Jewish friends and some Jews are defending her.

I think we should spend a little more time deciding if what she is saying is true, and a little less time virtue signaling and pearl clutching about whether or not it's the kind of thing that a racist or anti-Jewish person would say.

Such open mindedness.  I applaud you.  Care to apply that same sentiment to Trump?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

LOL... someone has no clue what "Arabs" means. What a broad brush of ignorance.

Such is the failure of our education system. No history, no context, no understanding at all. It's horrific when you stop and think about the disservice our schools have done our nation, whether purposefully or not.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(03-06-2019, 08:58 PM)pirkster Wrote: LOL... someone has no clue what "Arabs" means.  What a broad brush of ignorance.

Such is the failure of our education system.  No history, no context, no understanding at all.  It's horrific when you stop and think about the disservice our schools have done our nation, whether purposefully or not.

Who doesn't know what "Arabs" means? 
What does it mean?

(03-06-2019, 08:28 PM)copycat Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 08:15 PM)mikesez Wrote: I really don't want to change the subject here.

Such open mindedness.  I applaud you.  Care to apply that same sentiment to Trump?

I do.  Most of what he says is both false and hateful.  Any truth the man states is almost always incidental and inconsequential to his point.

For instance, when aides encouraged him to renew the TPS visas of Haitians, he said, "why would we want any more people from s***hole countries?!"

This is hateful.  Haiti is doing poorly but the entire country is better than a literal toilet.  To the extent that the metaphor was true, that Haiti is literally a country is overloaded with untreated human waste, that was irrelevant to the questIon of if those individuals, who had by that time been in the US for six years, should be allowed to stay in the US.

if you're saying what needs to be said, and some people find it insensitive, and there was no nicer way to say it, you should probably get a pass.

I think this is true of Ms. Omar in this case, but generally not true of mr. Trump.

(03-06-2019, 09:31 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 08:28 PM)copycat Wrote: Such open mindedness.  I applaud you.  Care to apply that same sentiment to Trump?

I do.  Most of what he says is both false and hateful.  Any truth the man states is almost always incidental and inconsequential to his point.

For instance, when aides encouraged him to renew the TPS visas of Haitians, he said, "why would we want any more people from s***hole countries?!"

This is hateful.  Haiti is doing poorly but the entire country is better than a literal toilet.  To the extent that the metaphor was true, that Haiti is literally a country is overloaded with untreated human waste, that was irrelevant to the questIon of if those individuals, who had by that time been in the US for six years, should be allowed to stay in the US.

if you're saying what needs to be said, and some people find it insensitive, and there was no nicer way to say it, you should probably get a pass.

I think this is true of Ms. Omar in this case, but generally not true of mr. Trump.

One man's unvarnished truth is another Mikesez's "hate."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 10:42 PM by mikesez.)

(03-06-2019, 10:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 09:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: I do.  Most of what he says is both false and hateful.  Any truth the man states is almost always incidental and inconsequential to his point.

One man's unvarnished truth is another Mikesez's "hate."

It was true, but irrelevant. Why did he bring it up?

(03-06-2019, 10:41 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 10:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: One man's unvarnished truth is another Mikesez's "hate."

It was a trope, much like Omar's antisemitic, er, anti-Jewish/Israel, tropes.

(03-06-2019, 08:28 PM)copycat Wrote: Such open mindedness.  I applaud you.  Care to apply that same sentiment to Trump?

You're just repeating the spin put on the statement by your Leftist media. It wasn't about Haiti. Trump was referring to a US government program that actively recruits immigrants from countries that have had no history of immigrating to the US in order to increase "diversity."

And yes, that program does include [BLEEP] hole countries.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-06-2019, 11:03 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 09:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: I do.  Most of what he says is both false and hateful.  Any truth the man states is almost always incidental and inconsequential to his point.

You're just repeating the spin put on the statement by your Leftist media. It wasn't about Haiti. Trump was referring to a US government program that actively recruits immigrants from countries that have had no history of immigrating to the US in order to increase "diversity."

And yes, that program does include [BLEEP] hole countries.

He was referring to temporary protected status. Allegedly. neither of us were in the room and it was a leak from someone who was in the room, perhaps Lindsey Graham, maybe John Kelly.

Regardless of if the discussion was about people who haven't come to the u.s. yet, or people who are already here, the average quality of sanitation in a country is irrelevant to the question of whether or not it's good for us to have people from that country here.

I have a master's degree in mechanical engineering. I'm a white American. I learned fluid mechanics from a citizen of Cameroon.  I learned materials science from a citizen of India.  A Bangladeshi was my graduate advisor.  I would never take my wife or my children to any of those three countries. But I'm glad those three individuals were here.

(03-06-2019, 11:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 10:41 PM)mikesez Wrote: It was true, but irrelevant. Why did he bring it up?

It was a trope, much like Omar's antisemitic, er, anti-Jewish/Israel, tropes.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

(03-06-2019, 10:41 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 10:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: One man's unvarnished truth is another Mikesez's "hate."

Because he thinks it's a problem obviously, as did the millions of people who elected him President. I mean, you're trying to literally interpret the term [BLEEP] hole to mean there's poop everywhere, like you dont grasp incredibly common vernacular just to make your point, but it just makes you look clueless, just like all the other NeverTrumpers.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2019, 01:53 AM by Jagfan44.)

Mr. Trump is just calling it what it is, he is saying what everyone else is thinking but is too afraid to say. At the same time he also asks why we cannot accept immigrants from countries such as Norway? Someone in this thread mentioned having the terrorist lady as a neighbor. I can't help but ask, would you prefer a Haitian neighbor or a Norwegian neighbor?

(03-06-2019, 11:30 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 11:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It was a trope, much like Omar's antisemitic, er, anti-Jewish/Israel, tropes.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Oh, ok.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2019, 07:25 AM by mikesez.)

(03-07-2019, 01:50 AM)Jagfan44 Wrote:

Mr. Trump is just calling it what it is, he is saying what everyone else is thinking but is too afraid to say. At the same time he also asks why we cannot accept immigrants from countries such as Norway? Someone in this thread mentioned having the terrorist lady as a neighbor. I can't help but ask, would you prefer a Haitian neighbor or a Norwegian neighbor?

Our Visa policy already reflects a preference for Norwegians. A Norwegian person can fly into the u.s., show their Norwegian passport, and, without having to fill out any other paperwork, obtain a 90-day visa to do whatever the heck they want over here except for work. Haitian people have to get a Visa issued from their US embassy in advance before they're allowed to board an airplane to the US, and not all of them get one.

However our overall immigration policy, deciding who gets green cards and H-1B visas and the like, does not discriminate based on what country you're from.

Which one would I rather have as a neighbor? I don't discriminate based on national origin and, since 1965, our government's immigration policy doesn't either.  And this is no blind idealism. I've had Haitian roommates.

Shame on anyone who discriminates based on national origin. Even Denny's cut that s*** out in the 90s.

(03-07-2019, 12:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 10:41 PM)mikesez Wrote: It was true, but irrelevant. Why did he bring it up?

Because he thinks it's a problem obviously, as did the millions of people who elected him President. I mean, you're trying to literally interpret the term [BLEEP] hole to mean there's poop everywhere, like you dont grasp incredibly common vernacular just to make your point, but it just makes you look clueless, just like all the other NeverTrumpers.

he's trying to equate filth and disorder in a place with all of the people in that place being bad.

If we were discussing state department travel advisories, or the living conditions for a visiting contingent of American soldiers, it would be completely in-bounds to discuss the overall hygiene and public order of a place. But how does it apply to the question of whose Visa gets renewed?!

(03-07-2019, 07:19 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 01:50 AM)Jagfan44 Wrote: Mr. Trump is just calling it what it is, he is saying what everyone else is thinking but is too afraid to say. At the same time he also asks why we cannot accept immigrants from countries such as Norway? Someone in this thread mentioned having the terrorist lady as a neighbor. I can't help but ask, would you prefer a Haitian neighbor or a Norwegian neighbor?

Our Visa policy already reflects a preference for Norwegians. A Norwegian person can fly into the u.s., show their Norwegian passport, and, without having to fill out any other paperwork, obtain a 90-day visa to do whatever the heck they want over here except for work. Haitian people have to get a Visa issued from their US embassy in advance before they're allowed to board an airplane to the US, and not all of them get one.

However our overall immigration policy, deciding who gets green cards and H-1B visas and the like, does not discriminate based on what country you're from.

Which one would I rather have as a neighbor? I don't discriminate based on national origin and, since 1965, our government's immigration policy doesn't either.  And this is no blind idealism. I've had Haitian roommates.

Shame on anyone who discriminates based on national origin. Even Denny's cut that s*** out in the 90s.

(03-07-2019, 12:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Because he thinks it's a problem obviously, as did the millions of people who elected him President. I mean, you're trying to literally interpret the term [BLEEP] hole to mean there's poop everywhere, like you dont grasp incredibly common vernacular just to make your point, but it just makes you look clueless, just like all the other NeverTrumpers.

he's trying to equate filth and disorder in a place with all of the people in that place being bad.

If we were discussing state department travel advisories, or the living conditions for a visiting contingent of American soldiers, it would be completely in-bounds to discuss the overall hygiene and public order of a place. But how does it apply to the question of whose Visa gets renewed?!

Because many of us do not want any more people from [BLEEP] hole countries, thanks. You always try to add complexity or morality to the simple to boost your ego, but shame us all you want, I dont care.

(03-07-2019, 01:50 AM)Jagfan44 Wrote:

Can I have both? One on one side, the other on the other side. I don't understand the relevance. Is there something wrong with either one that I should worry about?  Been to prison for rape, caught smuggling drugs, killed a man in Reno just to watch him die ...