Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Woman who left US to join Islamic State loses round in court

(03-06-2019, 09:31 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 08:28 PM)copycat Wrote: Such open mindedness.  I applaud you.  Care to apply that same sentiment to Trump?

I do.  Most of what he says is both false and hateful.  Any truth the man states is almost always incidental and inconsequential to his point.

For instance, when aides encouraged him to renew the TPS visas of Haitians, he said, "why would we want any more people from s***hole countries?!"

This is hateful.  Haiti is doing poorly but the entire country is better than a literal toilet.  To the extent that the metaphor was true, that Haiti is literally a country is overloaded with untreated human waste, that was irrelevant to the questIon of if those individuals, who had by that time been in the US for six years, should be allowed to stay in the US.

if you're saying what needs to be said, and some people find it insensitive, and there was no nicer way to say it, you should probably get a pass.

I think this is true of Ms. Omar in this case, but generally not true of mr. Trump.

LOL!  Of all the examples of Trump miscues this is what you came up with to show how open minded you are when it comes to DJT?  What about all his black friends?  You know he once dated an African American?  How about the accolades he received from minority's when he was a democrat?  Using your examples there is all the proof one needs to expel the claims he is a racist since we are being so open minded and all.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-07-2019, 08:43 AM)copycat Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 09:31 PM)mikesez Wrote: I do.  Most of what he says is both false and hateful.  Any truth the man states is almost always incidental and inconsequential to his point.

For instance, when aides encouraged him to renew the TPS visas of Haitians, he said, "why would we want any more people from s***hole countries?!"

This is hateful.  Haiti is doing poorly but the entire country is better than a literal toilet.  To the extent that the metaphor was true, that Haiti is literally a country is overloaded with untreated human waste, that was irrelevant to the questIon of if those individuals, who had by that time been in the US for six years, should be allowed to stay in the US.

if you're saying what needs to be said, and some people find it insensitive, and there was no nicer way to say it, you should probably get a pass.

I think this is true of Ms. Omar in this case, but generally not true of mr. Trump.

LOL!  Of all the examples of Trump miscues this is what you came up with to show how open minded you are when it comes to DJT?  What about all his black friends?  You know he once dated an African American?  How about the accolades he received from minority's when he was a democrat?  Using your examples there is all the proof one needs to expel the claims he is a racist since we are being so open minded and all.

The example I brought up points to discrimination and hate based on national origin.
It's not the same thing as racism, but it is bad.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-07-2019, 09:10 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 08:43 AM)copycat Wrote: LOL!  Of all the examples of Trump miscues this is what you came up with to show how open minded you are when it comes to DJT?  What about all his black friends?  You know he once dated an African American?  How about the accolades he received from minority's when he was a democrat?  Using your examples there is all the proof one needs to expel the claims he is a racist since we are being so open minded and all.

The example I brought up points to discrimination and hate based on national origin.
It's not the same thing as racism, but it is bad.

That's your opinion and not one that's immutable or even readily shared.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-06-2019, 09:22 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 08:58 PM)pirkster Wrote: LOL... someone has no clue what "Arabs" means.  What a broad brush of ignorance.

Such is the failure of our education system.  No history, no context, no understanding at all.  It's horrific when you stop and think about the disservice our schools have done our nation, whether purposefully or not.

Who doesn't know what "Arabs" means? 
What does it mean?

OK just noticed Omar is actually Somali.  And Somalis are not Arabs.  I had her confused with Rashida Tlaib, who is an Arab.

Anyhow, it's ignorant to call a Muslim person anti-Semitic.  Very unlikely that a Muslim would hate the nationality of their prophet.

(03-07-2019, 12:03 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 09:22 PM)mikesez Wrote: Who doesn't know what "Arabs" means? 
What does it mean?

OK just noticed Omar is actually Somali.  And Somalis are not Arabs.  I had her confused with Rashida Tlaib, who is an Arab.

Anyhow, it's ignorant to call a Muslim person anti-Semitic.  Very unlikely that a Muslim would hate the nationality of their prophet.

Ummm, Arabs aren't the only Semites...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-07-2019, 12:03 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 09:22 PM)mikesez Wrote: Who doesn't know what "Arabs" means? 
What does it mean?

Your are spouting nonsense, and you know it. Words change meaning. "Gay" is no longer used as a synonym for festive.

These days, Anti-Semitic refers to Jews, not just anyone who comes from the area. Omar is rabidly Anti-Semitic. And yes, she claims some of her best friends are Jews. I remember when racists used that line about blacks.

Calling a country a [BLEEP] hole does not refer to their lack of sewage. It refers to a country where just about everyone except the ruling class is barely surviving (i.e. they are no better off than someone living in a [BLEEP] hole).

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-07-2019, 01:07 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 12:03 PM)mikesez Wrote: OK just noticed Omar is actually Somali.  And Somalis are not Arabs.  I had her confused with Rashida Tlaib, who is an Arab.

Your are spouting nonsense, and you know it. Words change meaning. "Gay" is no longer used as a synonym for festive.

These days, Anti-Semitic refers to Jews, not just anyone who comes from the area. Omar is rabidly Anti-Semitic. And yes, she claims some of her best friends are Jews. I remember when racists used that line about blacks.

Calling a country a [BLEEP] hole does not refer to their lack of sewage. It refers to a country where just about everyone except the ruling class is barely surviving (i.e. they are no better off than someone living in a [BLEEP] hole).

Words can change meaning.  But word origin is history and no one can change the past.

Semite refers to nationalities that the Bible lists as descendents of Shem.  Many nationalities were listed, but Jews and Arabs are the main two that large numbers of people still identify with today.

Why would anyone say anti-Semitic if they really mean to say "anti-Jewish"? It has more syllables.  It's not used in any other context.  No one says, "I have a Semitic friend." If people are using "anti-Semitic" when the clearer and shorter "anti-Jewish" captures their intended meaning, they are most likely trying to sound intelligent or sophisticated.  They should be laughed at.

(03-06-2019, 04:11 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 12:00 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: What is it about women that scare right-wingers to death?

Well here are just a couple of her quotes asking followers to kill people in America. Would you really want her loose in the same city your family lives? Why the right-winger remark? Obama probably would like her to stay out of the US as well. I believe he has even remarked as much.

Quote:“You can look up Obamas schedule on the white house website. Take down that treacherous tyrant!”

“go on drivebys” and “rent a big truck and drive all over them” at “Veterans, Patriot, Memorial etc Day parades.”

He's just solidifying his troll status.

(03-07-2019, 01:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 12:03 PM)mikesez Wrote: OK just noticed Omar is actually Somali.  And Somalis are not Arabs.  I had her confused with Rashida Tlaib, who is an Arab.

Ummm, Arabs aren't the only Semites...

Right.  Jews are also Semites. If you call someone anti-Semitic you are saying they hate Jews and Arabs.  Muslims revere Muhammad are required to say some of their prayers in Arabic even if they don't speak Arabic.  Calling a Muslim anti-Semitic is ignorant.

That's a stupid argument.

(03-07-2019, 02:27 PM)Last42min Wrote: That's a stupid argument.

They all are. This is a forum about the NFL's least popular team.

This subforum isn't about the NFL's least popular team, but if that's your defense, I'll take that into consideration as I read all your posts.

(03-07-2019, 02:28 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 02:27 PM)Last42min Wrote: That's a stupid argument.

They all are. This is a forum about the NFL's least popular team.

Nope, it's a political sub-forum. So blissfully unaware on what appears two accounts.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(03-07-2019, 01:32 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 01:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Ummm, Arabs aren't the only Semites...

Right.  Jews are also Semites. If you call someone anti-Semitic you are saying they hate Jews and Arabs.  Muslims revere Muhammad are required to say some of their prayers in Arabic even if they don't speak Arabic.  Calling a Muslim anti-Semitic is ignorant.

Since 1880 you've been wrong, it's specifically been Jew-related for 140 years now. 

[font=Lato, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]anti-Semitism
 noun
[/font]

[font=Lato, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]an·ti-Sem·i·tism | \ ˌan-tē-ˈse-mə-ˌti-zəm [/url] ˌan-ˌtī-\[/font]
[font=Lato, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Definition of anti-Semitism

[font=Lato, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group
[/font]
[/font]

First Known Use of anti-Semitism

1880, in the meaning defined [url=https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti-Semitism#h1]above

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona...i-Semitism

(03-07-2019, 01:30 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 01:07 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Your are spouting nonsense, and you know it. Words change meaning. "Gay" is no longer used as a synonym for festive.

Words can change meaning.  But word origin is history and no one can change the past.

Semite refers to nationalities that the Bible lists as descendents of Shem.  Many nationalities were listed, but Jews and Arabs are the main two that large numbers of people still identify with today.

Why would anyone say anti-Semitic if they really mean to say "anti-Jewish"? It has more syllables.  It's not used in any other context.  No one says, "I have a Semitic friend." If people are using "anti-Semitic" when the clearer and shorter "anti-Jewish" captures their intended meaning, they are most likely trying to sound intelligent or sophisticated.  They should be laughed at.

Clearly you know that anti-Semitic is just used about Jews. You are arguing the term just to annoy people. 

And you wonder why you get so many down votes?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2019, 09:04 AM by mikesez.)

(03-07-2019, 04:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 01:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: Right.  Jews are also Semites. If you call someone anti-Semitic you are saying they hate Jews and Arabs.  Muslims revere Muhammad are required to say some of their prayers in Arabic even if they don't speak Arabic.  Calling a Muslim anti-Semitic is ignorant.

Since 1880 you've been wrong, it's specifically been Jew-related for 140 years now. 

noun
[/font]

[font=Lato, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]an·ti-Sem·i·tism | \ ˌan-tē-ˈse-mə-ˌti-zəm [/url] ˌan-ˌtī-\[/font]

[font=Lato, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group
[/font]
[/font]

1880, in the meaning defined [url=https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti-Semitism#h1]above

So the word was invented first in Germany and then borrowed in England, during a time when both countries had very few if any Arabs.

Semite still means what it means. You can look that up. I maintain that a person who knows what the word semite means and then uses anti-semite to refer to opposition to only a small fraction of semites, was being too clever by half, regardless of if that person is speaking today or a hundred and fifty years ago. Perhaps both then and now they're trying to hide the disgusting-ness of it with a euphemism.

(03-08-2019, 08:27 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 04:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Since 1880 you've been wrong, it's specifically been Jew-related for 140 years now. 

noun
[/font]

[/font]
[/font]

So the word was invented first in Germany and then borrowed in England, during a time when both countries had very few if any Arabs.

You're like a breathing Foxworthy bit: If you think anti-semitism in 2019 is anything but hate directed towards Jews then you just might be a Mikesez.

(03-08-2019, 08:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 08:27 AM)mikesez Wrote: So the word was invented first in Germany and then borrowed in England, during a time when both countries had very few if any Arabs.

You're like a breathing Foxworthy bit: If you think anti-semitism in 2019 is anything but hate directed towards Jews then you just might be a Mikesez.

+1 for using the dictionary tho.

Give it up, guys. Arguing with him is like squeezing jello. When he’s cornered, words don’t mean what you think they mean.

(03-08-2019, 09:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Give it up, guys. Arguing with him is like squeezing jello. When he’s cornered, words don’t mean what you think they mean.

Hmm, haven't heard the squeezing jello bit before. +1 for you!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]