Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Texans releasing former first-rounder Kevin Johnson

Texans releasing former first-rounder Kevin Johnson

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...in-johnson

The Texans have released CB Kevin Johnson, Ian Rapoport reports. Houston drafted Johnson in the first round four years ago. He played just one game in 2018 before going on injured reserve.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

In terms of ability I thought he was decent coming out of college, but it seems he has a slight build and could never stay healthy.

He might be a decent pickup for a team, but I am glad he didn't work for the Texans.

Screw the Texans!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-05-2019, 02:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: In terms of ability I thought he was decent coming out of college, but it seems he has a slight build and could never stay healthy.

He might be a decent pickup for a team, but I am glad he didn't work for the Texans.

Screw the Texans!

Lol, I feel the same way about every QB/WR y'all draft since y'alls inception.

Speaking of Kevin Johnson though.. if you fart in this guy's direction he gets a concussion, honestly for his long term health, he needs to just retire if he wants to even remember playing in the NFL.

(03-05-2019, 05:24 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 02:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: In terms of ability I thought he was decent coming out of college, but it seems he has a slight build and could never stay healthy.

Screw the Texans!

Speaking of Kevin Johnson though.. if you fart in this guy's direction he gets a concussion, honestly for his long term health, he needs to just retire if he wants to even remember playing in the NFL.

Isn't football rivalry great?  LOL

It's interesting how some guys have durability and others don't...how supremely talented guys like Steve Emtman and Ki-Jana Carter can have promising careers derailed due to injury while average guys can have careers lasting several seasons because they never took that one hit.  Not that average guys deserve that one hit.

(03-05-2019, 07:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 05:24 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Lol, I feel the same way about every QB/WR y'all draft since y'alls inception.

Isn't football rivalry great?  LOL

It's interesting how some guys have durability and others don't...how supremely talented guys like Steve Emtman and Ki-Jana Carter can have promising careers derailed due to injury while average guys can have careers lasting several seasons because they never took that one hit.  Not that average guys deserve that one hit.

I actually think some people aren't cut out for sports, and I don't mean from an athletic standpoint. Their bodies, however athletically gifted, are cursed from a reliability standpoint. Ignoring football for a moment, I'll cite an example from baseball. I'm a Tampa Bay Rays fan, and for years I was continuously annoyed by how often Evan Longoria was on the DL. We're talking a month to months every season. And none of it was from collisions or being hit by pitches. It was always running or swinging. Contrast him to someone like Cal Ripken Jr who missed what? Zero games?

And there's countless examples of that throughout sports.

(03-05-2019, 11:15 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 07:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Isn't football rivalry great?  LOL

I actually think some people aren't cut out for sports, and I don't mean from an athletic standpoint. Their bodies, however athletically gifted, are cursed from a reliability standpoint. Ignoring football for a moment, I'll cite an example from baseball. I'm a Tampa Bay Rays fan, and for years I was continuously annoyed by how often Evan Longoria was on the DL. We're talking a month to months every season. And none of it was from collisions or being hit by pitches. It was always running or swinging. Contrast him to someone like Cal Ripken Jr who missed what? Zero games?

That answer seems as plausible as any I've seen to explain that.

(03-05-2019, 11:15 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 07:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Isn't football rivalry great?  LOL

Talking about the Rays: Think about Rocco Baldelli.  Guy had all the talent in the world, but his body kept betraying him with that mitochondrial disorder to where he kept getting fatigued and injured.  I mean the guy could hit, throw, field, run....but he couldn't stay healthy.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 03:07 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

(03-05-2019, 05:24 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:

Screw the Texans!

Pretty frustrating when a player can't stay on the field. However, if I were a player and dealt with concussions, I'd be looking to hang it up too. We all love the violent nature of the game, but head injuries are no joke. Especially for smaller guys who have to use their head to tackle anybody.

(03-06-2019, 09:51 AM)NCJag Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 11:15 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I actually think some people aren't cut out for sports, and I don't mean from an athletic standpoint. Their bodies, however athletically gifted, are cursed from a reliability standpoint. Ignoring football for a moment, I'll cite an example from baseball. I'm a Tampa Bay Rays fan, and for years I was continuously annoyed by how often Evan Longoria was on the DL. We're talking a month to months every season. And none of it was from collisions or being hit by pitches. It was always running or swinging. Contrast him to someone like Cal Ripken Jr who missed what? Zero games?

Talking about the Rays: Think about Rocco Baldelli.  Guy had all the talent in the world, but his body kept betraying him with that mitochondrial disorder to where he kept getting fatigued and injured.  I mean the guy could hit, throw, field, run....but he couldn't stay healthy.

Yes. I really liked him as a player. Met him a couple of times, seems like a cool guy. I always felt bad for him, but now I'm glad he has a career in management. But yes, perfect example of what I was talking about.

i think about guys like Jackie Slater, Bruce and Clay Matthews Sr., Tom Brady and Darrell Green.

Was football somehow less brutal...less violent for them? I doubt it.

Yet they all had careers in the NFL approaching 20 years in length or more,and I marvel at their longevity, both from a quality of play standpoint and their durability.

Maybe it was fate. Maybe some are just cut out for sports from a durability standpoint and some aren't.

I don't know. But it would be interesting to see how the seasons would have transpired if somehow the physicality of football were maintained but somehow there were zero injuries.

For those that don't remember or simply didn't see it.. here's how Kevin Johnson suffered a concussion in the preseason.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2...or-yardage

He couldn't even run straight down the field without knocking himself out/silly.. He then returned for the season opener against the Pats where he went on I.R. after sustaining another concussion trying to make a tackle.. the guy needs to hang them up.

(03-06-2019, 10:46 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: For those that don't remember or simply didn't see it.. here's how Kevin Johnson suffered a concussion in the preseason.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2...or-yardage

He couldn't even run straight down the field without knocking himself out/silly.. He then returned for the season opener against the Pats where he went on I.R. after sustaining another concussion trying to make a tackle.. the guy needs to hang them up.

Looks like his head bounced off the turf.

I don't get it.