Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Post Foles Signing - Ideal Draft Now?

(03-11-2019, 06:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOTS of ways to address it, but here's a fun one:

38 - Will Grier QB

I'm on board with the Grier at 38 contingent.  Seems to be a few of them on the board.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-12-2019, 01:01 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOTS of ways to address it, but here's a fun one:

38 - Will Grier QB

I'm on board with the Grier at 38 contingent.  Seems to be a few of them on the board.

It's not a very popular take right now as lots of internet big boards have Grier sliding to the third round, but I have a strong hunch someone scoops him up before that. New England has two late picks in the second round and the chargers and cowboys are sitting there as well.

(03-12-2019, 01:01 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote:

38 - Will Grier QB

No way.

The Jags first 4 picks need to be players to help improve the offense around Foles. Are we really about to take Grier at 38 if Lindstrom, Fant, Campbell, Harry or Butler are there?

Am not a big fan of taking OL with a top 10 pick - as we (and other teams) have found out the hard way, it's just such a tough position to grade. If no trade-down, I'd use the #7 pick probably on Hockenson, unless one of the truly elite DL's drops to 7 and we just can't pass him up. As others have said, I like the idea of fitting Isabella in there somewhere and I very much like the idea of jumping on Grier with a 3rd round pick or lower.

(03-12-2019, 01:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 01:01 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: I'm on board with the Grier at 38 contingent.  Seems to be a few of them on the board.
No way.

The Jags first 4 picks need to be players to help improve the offense around Foles. Are we really about to take Grier at 38 if Lindstrom, Fant, Campbell, Harry or Butler are there?

Depends on whether you think Foles is starting in 2021, whether he can play 16 games a season until then, and how highly you grade Grier. He could make a good back-up to Foles w/ his injury history while grooming to take over in two years. 

I'd be completely shocked if they picked him at all, much less at 38, but I think he's good value at that pick. 

I expect they'll be focused on OL and TE early and a lower tier FA to compete with Lee and an UDFA for backup QB duty.

(03-12-2019, 01:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 01:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: No way.

Depends on whether you think Foles is starting in 2021, whether he can play 16 games a season until then, and how highly you grade Grier. He could make a good back-up to Foles w/ his injury history while grooming to take over in two years. 

I'd be completely shocked if they picked him at all, much less at 38, but I think he's good value at that pick. 

I expect they'll be focused on OL and TE early and a lower tier FA to compete with Lee and an UDFA for backup QB duty.

If the Jags are needing to draft a QB in 2021, I would rather wait to draft a QB then instead of taking flyer on Grier now. Take the solid OL or TE guy that should be definite starters and will should (Knock on wood) still be here in 2021 and beyond.

(03-11-2019, 05:39 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: So now that we see that Foles has signed a deal that is not a "Bridge QB"...how do you see the draft picks going now?

Do you still grab Haskins now that you are fully locked in with Foles for 2-3 years?

I still feel like we go all in on on supporting cast...so OL/TE/TE/OL/WR in the 1st 4 rounds.

What is your ideal draft now?

7th: T.J Hockenson - TE - Iowa
38th: Josh Jacobs - RB - Alabama 
69th: Nasir Adderley - FS - Delaware
94th: Andy Isabella - WR - University Of Massachusetts
109th: Josh Oliver - TE - San Jose State
178th: Hakeem Butler - WR - Iowa State
222nd: Max Scharping - OT/G - Northern Illinois
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-12-2019, 01:01 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: I'm on board with the Grier at 38 contingent.  Seems to be a few of them on the board.
No way.

This. 

It's pointless to waste a pick on any QB in this draft, unless it's Haskins.

All 4/5 of those top 110 picks need to go towards helping Foles, because he's going to desperately need it.

Taking a QB in the 2nd-4th rounds would be a huge mistake.

I am promoting drafting Hockenson first round not because of Foles, but because almost every young QB needs a TE to ease into the league smoother. Might as well get a top tier one to have for 15 years.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

I'm increasingly thinking we will go d-line at 7...

(03-12-2019, 03:11 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 01:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: No way.

This. 

All 4/5 of those top 110 picks need to go towards helping Foles, because he's going to desperately need it.

I respectfully disagree, mainly because I like what I have seen out of Grier.  The Seahawks didn't "waste" a pick on Russell Wilson, and I don't think we'd be wasting one on Grier.  I agree on getting Foles a lot of help, but I also think it's time to groom a good prospect behind him.  The Jags used to do this back in the early days of the club, and if Grier's there, take him.

I don't think Haskins or Murray will be the only QBs from this draft to find success starting in the NFL.  And I've watched the Jags refuse to take a stab at developmental QBs for years now, mostly to their peril.

No way.

I know I wouldn't.   There us no way I take Grier over any of those guys at 38.

If he's there in the 3rd...maybe I consider it, depending on how the board is falling and what holes are left after those first two picks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-12-2019, 04:19 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 03:11 PM)Eric1 Wrote: This. 

I respectfully disagree, mainly because I like what I have seen out of Grier.  The Seahawks didn't "waste" a pick on Russell Wilson, and I don't think we'd be wasting one on Grier.  I agree on getting Foles a lot of help, but I also think it's time to groom a good prospect behind him.  The Jags used to do this back in the early days of the club, and if Grier's there, take him.

I don't think Haskins or Murray will be the only QBs from this draft to find success starting in the NFL.  And I've watched the Jags refuse to take a stab at developmental QBs for years now, mostly to their peril.

Agreed, Haskins isnt any better than Grier.  Way better value if you can get Grier in the 2nd or 3rd than reach for Haskins in the 1st

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 05:34 PM by Eric1.)

(03-12-2019, 04:19 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 03:11 PM)Eric1 Wrote: This. 

That's cool and all, but Wilson was the extreme outlier, not the norm.

If you think you have to get a QB behind Foles now for whatever reason, then you made a big mistake in scouting/signing Foles in the first place. It's his job going forward no matter what.

If he gets hurt, the season is over anyways because losing your starter = end of season. And if that's not the case, then again you made a huge mistake in scouting/paying Foles if a backup (especially a rookie) can come in with little to no drop off in play.

Sign a cheap Vet QB and let him and Tanner Lee compete for the back up job.

(03-12-2019, 05:32 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Sign a cheap Vet QB and let him and Tanner Lee compete for the back up job.

Actually, this is kinda my point.  This is what we've done since Garrard took over from Leftwich.  We get a cheap vet to back up our stabs at drafting the franchise QB, then when franchise QB fails, we don't have an honest prospect with potential.  Other teams do.  Hell, we used to, when we traded a pick to get Brunell, drafted Rob Johnson pretty high, and even when we drafted Garrard.  I don't hate Tanner Lee, and I thought Steven Morris had potential, but those choices are pretty speculative.  Drafting Matt Jones because we didn't need Aaron Rodgers and picking up Reggie Williams when Roethlisberger was on the board are 2 pretty bad mistakes that have haunted our franchise.  I realize most of us didn't see Wilson coming (I didn't), and Grier is probably slightly overdrafted in the 2nd round, but I think the early Jags teams had a better philosophy.

In 2012, do you think it might have been a good idea to take a shot on Nick Foles in the 2nd or 3rd round, even though we had our guy(s)?  Hindsight 20/20 and all, but we just never take a realistic stab at the QB of the future anymore, and other, more successful teams, do.  I think maybe it's time for a shot at it.

I also think it's time the Jags had 3 QBs on the roster again, given our many failings at the position.

(03-12-2019, 05:55 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 05:32 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Sign a cheap Vet QB and let him and Tanner Lee compete for the back up job.

Actually, this is kinda my point.  This is what we've done since Garrard took over from Leftwich.  We get a cheap vet to back up our stabs at drafting the franchise QB, then when franchise QB fails, we don't have an honest prospect with potential.  Other teams do.  Hell, we used to, when we traded a pick to get Brunell, drafted Rob Johnson pretty high, and even when we drafted Garrard.  I don't hate Tanner Lee, and I thought Steven Morris had potential, but those choices are pretty speculative.  Drafting Matt Jones because we didn't need Aaron Rodgers and picking up Reggie Williams when Roethlisberger was on the board are 2 pretty bad mistakes that have haunted our franchise.  I realize most of us didn't see Wilson coming (I didn't), and Grier is probably slightly overdrafted in the 2nd round, but I think the early Jags teams had a better philosophy.

In 2012, do you think it might have been a good idea to take a shot on Nick Foles in the 2nd or 3rd round, even though we had our guy(s)?  Hindsight 20/20 and all, but we just never take a realistic stab at the QB of the future anymore, and other, more successful teams, do.  I think maybe it's time for a shot at it.

I also think it's time the Jags had 3 QBs on the roster again, given our many failings at the position.

There's really no point in looking towards the possible future at QB for this front office now, because Foles is their future. They all likely got a 2 year window to make a deep run in the playoffs, or we're cleaning house.

All of their focus needs to be on helping out this Offense and Foles right now. Taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round doesn't help this team.

(03-12-2019, 06:19 PM)Eric1 Wrote: There's really no point in looking towards the possible future at QB for this front office now, because Foles is their future. They all likely got a 2 year window to make a deep run in the playoffs, or we're cleaning house.

All of their focus needs to be on helping out this Offense and Foles right now. Taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round doesn't help this team.

Totally disagree.  I think that failing to address a long term approach at quarterback held the Jags back for a decade, and will continue to hold us back.

If Grier ain't your guy, and it really is Haskins or bust, then let that be the reason to skip QB.  But if the front office sees the talent beyond round one, they're better off pulling the trigger than waiting for someone else to.

Russell Wilson isn't even an outlier, he was just the tip of the spear for the QB height is overrated truth. There were a ton of "if Wilson was X inches taller he'd be the top QB in the class" takes back then. He was amazing in college, had every tool you want for the NFL except prototype height, and would go 1.01 in this draft no question.

Here is a nice 3 rounds draft : LINK

7.) T. J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa – Most (including myself) would agree that the Jags should probably trade out of this pick, however, Draft Network’s simulator doesn’t account for trades, so Hockenson was the pick. If the Jags stay put at the No. 7 spot, however, Florida tackle Jawaan Taylor may be a better option, but he was off the board at this point. That said, Hockenson, who has great athleticism and offers a lot after the catch, would be a great addition to John DeFilippo’s offense and provide Foles with a tight end threat like he had in Zach Ertz while with Philly.

38.) Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas State – Risner is a great fit for the Jags being that he offers the physical and aggressive type of tackle that Doug Marrone and Tom Coughlin like in the trenches. He had a solid week at the Senior Bowl and pretty much flourished against any defensive lineman who challenged him. He also offers versatility on the offensive line though right tackle is probably where he belongs if added by the Jags.

69.) JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford – Allen Robinson’s presence has been heavily missed in Jacksonville, and at 6-foot-3, 228-pounds, Arcega-Whiteside is a player that offers a similar skill set. Like Robinson, his straight line speed when hand timed may not stand out to scouts, but he’d give Foles a target like Alshon Jeffery, who made all of the 50-50 catches and jump balls for Foles while with the Eagles.

103.) David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State – With T.J. Yeldon and Carlos Hyde hitting the free agent market, the Jags need depth at running back behind Leonard Fournette. Montgomery was the best available tailback on the board at this point and is a player that would offer the Jags a solid third-down back. On film, his balance, ability to change directions and ability to wear on teams stood out, which could work wonders for the Jags when paired with Fournette’s bruising style.

(03-13-2019, 10:30 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: Here is a nice 3 rounds draft : LINK

7.) T. J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa – Most (including myself) would agree that the Jags should probably trade out of this pick, however, Draft Network’s simulator doesn’t account for trades, so Hockenson was the pick. If the Jags stay put at the No. 7 spot, however, Florida tackle Jawaan Taylor may be a better option, but he was off the board at this point. That said, Hockenson, who has great athleticism and offers a lot after the catch, would be a great addition to John DeFilippo’s offense and provide Foles with a tight end threat like he had in Zach Ertz while with Philly.

38.) Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas State – Risner is a great fit for the Jags being that he offers the physical and aggressive type of tackle that Doug Marrone and Tom Coughlin like in the trenches. He had a solid week at the Senior Bowl and pretty much flourished against any defensive lineman who challenged him. He also offers versatility on the offensive line though right tackle is probably where he belongs if added by the Jags.

69.) JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford – Allen Robinson’s presence has been heavily missed in Jacksonville, and at 6-foot-3, 228-pounds, Arcega-Whiteside is a player that offers a similar skill set. Like Robinson, his straight line speed when hand timed may not stand out to scouts, but he’d give Foles a target like Alshon Jeffery, who made all of the 50-50 catches and jump balls for Foles while with the Eagles.

103.) David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State – With T.J. Yeldon and Carlos Hyde hitting the free agent market, the Jags need depth at running back behind Leonard Fournette. Montgomery was the best available tailback on the board at this point and is a player that would offer the Jags a solid third-down back. On film, his balance, ability to change directions and ability to wear on teams stood out, which could work wonders for the Jags when paired with Fournette’s bruising style.
This right here is beautiful.