Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This FO is horrible!!

They knew they could of had him for less but wanted him to get the “respect” of a franchise qb in the locker room

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-11-2019, 10:02 PM)PAJag Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 09:58 PM)Yea SCJagFan Wrote: You clearly have no idea how free agency works in the NFL.
I do know how it works there was no market for foles to be a starter other than Jacksonville nobody is gonna pay someone 18 million to be a backup qb like I said it’s been reported by multiple outlets they overpaid on purpose.

When the Eagles exercised the option on Foles' deal, they were willing to pay him $20 million to be the backup.

Foles had a buyout that he exercised.

Knowing that the Eagles were willing to risk that amount (because there would be no guarantee they could work out a trade), why would Foles not demand at least that much?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-11-2019, 10:04 PM)PAJag Wrote: They knew they could of had him for less but wanted him to get the “respect” of a franchise qb in the locker room
To be fair, franchise QBs tend to be paid better than half the league. Giving the guy and extra $2m to show him you're dedicated to him and his hopeful success isn't that bad..... Especially when you consider that he is still being paid basically exactly what he should be.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

(03-11-2019, 10:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:02 PM)PAJag Wrote: I do know how it works there was no market for foles to be a starter other than Jacksonville nobody is gonna pay someone 18 million to be a backup qb like I said it’s been reported by multiple outlets they overpaid on purpose.

When the Eagles exercised the option on Foles' deal, they were willing to pay him $20 million to be the backup.

Knowing that the Eagles were willing to risk that amount (because there would be no guarantee they could work out a trade), why would Foles not demand at least that much?

That's a good point. 

However the guaranteed money in this Jags contract versus the one year extension total are pretty stark in contrast. 

Personally, I feel they overpaid by around 4 mil per year and ~10 mil guaranteed if he truly had no other suitors, but I'm not upset about it. Overpaying in free agency is indeed the norm. 

End of the day, I'm confident we've upgraded the position. I'd have preferred Haskins, but I was never opposed to this happening.

(03-11-2019, 10:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:02 PM)PAJag Wrote: I do know how it works there was no market for foles to be a starter other than Jacksonville nobody is gonna pay someone 18 million to be a backup qb like I said it’s been reported by multiple outlets they overpaid on purpose.

I live just outside of philly I listen to philly sports radio on the way to work everyday that was predetermined by both party’s that he would just decline and pay the 2 million back it wasn’t going to work salary wise plus he wanted his own team so it was a mutual respect thing. The eagles didn’t pick that up thinking he was going to accept it or they’d never would have.

(03-11-2019, 10:14 PM)PAJag Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: When the Eagles exercised the option on Foles' deal, they were willing to pay him $20 million to be the backup.

I live just outside of philly I listen to philly sports radio on the way to work everyday that was predetermined by both party’s that he would just decline and pay the 2 million back it wasn’t going to work salary wise plus he wanted his own team so it was a mutual respect thing. The eagles didn’t pick that up thinking he was going to accept it or they’d never would have.

So tell me, have they done a similar "mutual respect thing" for any other backup in their history?

If not, why was Foles worthy of that degree of respect?

(03-11-2019, 10:03 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Obviously the Jaguars have made their fair share of mistakes.  However, many of the things being said here are unfair, misleading or outright false.  It's false that we would have gotten a third rounder for Fowler as a comp pick.  The determination of comp picks is based at the team level and considers everyone you gained versus lost in free agency.  Keep in mind cutting people (Jackson, Gipson, Parnell, Hyde, etc.) don't count on the "lost" side.  We just signed Foles.  We are going to be on the plus side of free agency.  As such, we would have gotten NOTHING if we had held onto Fowler and let him go in free agency.  A third round pick was great compensation considering he was only under contract for a part of a year and was not in our future plans.

As far as trades, I can ensure you that the Jaguars offered the players up.  They just didn't get any bites.  I know trades sometimes seem strange, but that's the NFL.  Why did the Jaguars get a draft pick for Luke Bowanko but not Malik Jackson?  One of the things you have to remember is salary.  Malik Jackson had a $15 million salary.  If you trade for him, you get him for that salary.  If you wait, like the Eagles did, you can sign him for LESS MONEY and NOT GIVE UP A DRAFT PICK.  Why would a team trade for him!?!?!  Big names don't necessarily generate the biggest trade value.  Caldwell has gotten trade value for some of "scrubs" too (Luke, Bowkanko, D'Anthony Smith, Chris Smith, etc.) as well as some big name guys who we no longer wanted (Blane Gabbert, Julius Thomas, etc.).  On the acquisition side, I think getting Macell Dareus for a 5th rounder was a steal.

As for Foles, time will tell.  You pay top dollar for anyone in free agency.  That being said, we needed a quarterback and he was the best free agent.  The other option would be the draft, but it's a risk.  We likely would have had to trade up (perhaps at a very steep price) to get one of the top quarterbacks.  You can't force teams to trade or they may trade with someone else.  If we didn't have Foles and didn't get a top quarterback in the draft, we would be royally screwed.  Also keep in mind that rookie quarterbacks rarely do much in the NFL.  We would largely be writing off the 2019 season if we went that route.  Also keep in mind that even highly rated college prospects fail roughly 50% of the time when trying to make it in the NFL.  Foles is a gamble, but relying on the draft was likely a bigger gamble.  Only time will tell which path was right.

I agree with you on a good part of this. The dareus trade was great I did forget that one I can’t think of any others though. As for the Fowler thing that comp pick also applies to the obtaining team so the could have received a 3rd as well. Negotiating power was what you would use it as the other way even if you knew you wouldn’t actually get a pick because you sign someone else.

(03-11-2019, 10:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:14 PM)PAJag Wrote: I live just outside of philly I listen to philly sports radio on the way to work everyday that was predetermined by both party’s that he would just decline and pay the 2 million back it wasn’t going to work salary wise plus he wanted his own team so it was a mutual respect thing. The eagles didn’t pick that up thinking he was going to accept it or they’d never would have.

So tell me, have they done a similar "mutual respect thing" for any other backup in their history?

I’m telling you pal, I live outside of philly this guy is worshipped by the fans and organization alike. There is a statue of him in philly. He was the qb for their long lost first ever super bowl they been tortured about for decades the front office and coaches LOVE him and he loves the team and city back he’s wrote a book about it and everything it’s like a love story between foles and philly

(03-11-2019, 10:04 PM)PAJag Wrote: They knew they could of had him for less but wanted him to get the “respect” of a franchise qb in the locker room

I don't buy this whole notion of overpaying Foles for "respect" in the locker room. He clearly had a value that he felt he was worth and the Jaguars were either going to have to overpay to reach that value or risk not getting him at all. The Eagles had pretty much set the floor, so Foles taking less money was not going to happen.

I certainly agree that Foles is overpaid given his past production, but given the Jags QB play over the last 15 years.....he's most likely worth it.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 10:41 PM by PAJag.)

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/free-ag...ntract/amp

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/26231953

Everyone seems to be shocked at the money except for the people on here

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 10:42 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-11-2019, 10:27 PM)PAJag Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote: So tell me, have they done a similar "mutual respect thing" for any other backup in their history?

I’m telling you pal, I live outside of philly this guy is worshipped by the fans and organization alike. There is a statue of him in philly. He was the qb for their long lost first ever super bowl they been tortured about for decades the front office and coaches LOVE him and he loves the team and city back he’s wrote a book about it and everything it’s like a love story between foles and philly

I don't deny anything you are saying in this post is true.

But my question is why is he so popular there?

Of all the years of football in Philly, with all of the great players that have gone through that franchise, why have a statue of Foles?

Why did the coaches and front office love him?

In a city known for fans being absolutely brutal towards its athletes, how did Philadelphia grow to love Foles?

(03-11-2019, 10:03 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Obviously the Jaguars have made their fair share of mistakes.  However, many of the things being said here are unfair, misleading or outright false.  It's false that we would have gotten a third rounder for Fowler as a comp pick.  The determination of comp picks is based at the team level and considers everyone you gained versus lost in free agency.  Keep in mind cutting people (Jackson, Gipson, Parnell, Hyde, etc.) don't count on the "lost" side.  We just signed Foles.  We are going to be on the plus side of free agency.  As such, we would have gotten NOTHING if we had held onto Fowler and let him go in free agency.  A third round pick was great compensation considering he was only under contract for a part of a year and was not in our future plans.

As far as trades, I can ensure you that the Jaguars offered the players up.  They just didn't get any bites.  I know trades sometimes seem strange, but that's the NFL.  Why did the Jaguars get a draft pick for Luke Bowanko but not Malik Jackson?  One of the things you have to remember is salary.  Malik Jackson had a $15 million salary.  If you trade for him, you get him for that salary.  If you wait, like the Eagles did, you can sign him for LESS MONEY and NOT GIVE UP A DRAFT PICK.  Why would a team trade for him!?!?!  Big names don't necessarily generate the biggest trade value.  Caldwell has gotten trade value for some of "scrubs" too (Luke, Bowkanko, D'Anthony Smith, Chris Smith, etc.) as well as some big name guys who we no longer wanted (Blane Gabbert, Julius Thomas, etc.).  On the acquisition side, I think getting Macell Dareus for a 5th rounder was a steal.

As for Foles, time will tell.  You pay top dollar for anyone in free agency.  That being said, we needed a quarterback and he was the best free agent.  The other option would be the draft, but it's a risk.  We likely would have had to trade up (perhaps at a very steep price) to get one of the top quarterbacks.  You can't force teams to trade or they may trade with someone else.  If we didn't have Foles and didn't get a top quarterback in the draft, we would be royally screwed.  Also keep in mind that rookie quarterbacks rarely do much in the NFL.  We would largely be writing off the 2019 season if we went that route.  Also keep in mind that even highly rated college prospects fail roughly 50% of the time when trying to make it in the NFL.  Foles is a gamble, but relying on the draft was likely a bigger gamble.  Only time will tell which path was right.

Long time no read Duke.

I'm not sure how I missed your post, but this was great stuff!

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 10:47 PM by surfon.)

So didn't we trade for brunell back in the day? Like a 4th or 5th. We got a one for Rob freaking Johnson right. I'm fine with this deal a few mil here or there for a fee agent q b pfffft. If anyone thought we were going to get a deal you should prly see a psychologist. Just saying.

(03-11-2019, 10:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:27 PM)PAJag Wrote: I’m telling you pal, I live outside of philly this guy is worshipped by the fans and organization alike. There is a statue of him in philly. He was the qb for their long lost first ever super bowl they been tortured about for decades the front office and coaches LOVE him and he loves the team and city back he’s wrote a book about it and everything it’s like a love story between foles and philly

I don't deny anything you are saying in this post is true.

Of all the years of football in Philly, with all of the great players that have gone through that franchise, why have a statue of Foles?

In a city known for fans being absolutely brutal towards its athletes, how did Philadelphia grow to love Foles?

Long time no read Duke.

I couldn’t really tell you cause I’m not a fan of the eagles I actually hate them with a passion. But I’m assuming it’s because he was drafted by the team and when wentz went down that year they thought the promising season they thought was finally theirs was over but they got to the championship game and then he lit it up. And he it was just this fairytale story to their very starved franchise

Foles is easily worth the 11th highest QB contract.

Look, I'm not THRILLED with the dollar number. But if he wins us a SB then who the [BLEEP] cares? Pay him $50mil a year for a SB win

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 11:09 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-11-2019, 10:50 PM)PAJag Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't deny anything you are saying in this post is true.

Long time no read Duke.

I couldn’t really tell you cause I’m not a fan of the eagles I actually hate them with a passion. But I’m assuming it’s because he was drafted by the team and when wentz went down that year they thought the promising season they thought was finally theirs was over but they got to the championship game and then he lit it up. And he it was just this fairytale story to their very starved franchise
I hate them too.  I hated them since I was 9. 

They did all of that for him because he performed his best when they needed him the most...when the stakes were the highest...and the reward for success were unmatched.

THAT is why he was worth all of that.

THAT is why the Jaguars took a chance on him.

It's NOT that difficult to understand, TBH.

(03-11-2019, 10:57 PM)Hey imtheblkranger Wrote: Look, I'm not THRILLED with the dollar number. But if he wins us a SB then who the [BLEEP] cares? Pay him $50mil a year for a SB win

I get what your saying and I agree but it matters cause he’s not gonna do it by himself he’s not that kinda guy and that handicaps the talent we can afford to put around him. The Vikings thought that way with cousins too now they’re screwed for the forseable future.

(03-11-2019, 10:50 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: Foles is easily worth the 11th highest QB contract.

Absolutely!

Garoppolo got a much bigger contract for far fewer starts and substantive wins, and Foles didn't cost any draft picks to acquire.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 12:43 AM by Bullseye.)

Walter football, no fan of the Jaguars,  loved this pick.

Quote:Jaguar coaches, players and fans are going to be in for a surprise. They're used to their quarterback not caring about his career, opting to party and neglect watching film instead. Their new signal-caller is going to be someone who actually cares about football. Times are indeed changing in Jacksonville.

This may seem like lots of money to some, but Nick Foles makes the Jaguars a legitimate Super Bowl contender. He was able to lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl victory and would have made another trip deep into the postseason had Alshon Jeffery not been responsible for an interception on Foles' final throw as an Eagle. Foles is a great leader, a hard worker and a clutch performer. He's not as physically gifted as Blake Bortles, but he's a much better quarterback overall. It's not even close.

I'd ordinarily be a bit skeptical of a team bringing in a high-priced quarterback and being competitive right away - see Kirk Cousins and the Vikings - but Foles seems like a great fit for Jacksonville. He won't have to learn a new offensive because he'll be playing for coordinator John DeFilippo, who was Foles' quarterbacks coach when the two won a Super Bowl together in Philadelphia.

I'm grading this as a B+. It shouldn't be in the "A" range because it's not a bargain, but this is a move that could put the Jaguars over the top and thus should be regarded favorably.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigni...z5hvgJcDK1

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigni...2d6Skek.99

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 02:02 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

I think it's a good signing. I'm interested to see what we do to get him some help before I pass judgment on anything. Hard to expect us to draft rookies to solve glaring issues.
No pain, no gain.