Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This FO is horrible!!

(03-12-2019, 08:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:29 AM)Upper Wrote: Because he shot the moon and won them a super bowl. Everybody loves and surrounds and cheers for the guy who is on a lucky streak at the craps table.

Now we're likely going to get the version of the guy that stayed at the table once his luck streak was over and loses all of his money back to the house. Which we all know is far more common than a second lucky streak.

It's amazing how so many so readily dismiss his successes.

2013 doesn't count because, well, it was 2013.

2017 doesn't count because...it was luck.

2018 doesn't count because...I don't know...still working on that.

Tell me, what was so "lucky" about his 2017 playoff run?  He absolutely torched one of the top 2 defenses in the league in the conference title game, and then beat Belichick, who has a history of shutting down the most explosive offenses, in the Super Bowl.

Yes, he was traded away by a guy who has proven since then he is clueless about coaching in the NFL. 

He's learned under some of the best QB gurus in the league (Andy Reid, Doug Pederson, and Frank Reich).

When does Foles get actual credit for his accomplishments?
Yet you discredit the years in between because of Fischer?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 09:25 AM by sfljaguarsfan.)

(03-12-2019, 09:18 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 08:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's amazing how so many so readily dismiss his successes.

Tell me, what was so "lucky" about his 2017 playoff run?  He absolutely torched one of the top 2 defenses in the league in the conference title game, and then beat Belichick, who has a history of shutting down the most explosive offenses, in the Super Bowl.

Yes, he was traded away by a guy who has proven since then he is clueless about coaching in the NFL. 

He's learned under some of the best QB gurus in the league (Andy Reid, Doug Pederson, and Frank Reich).

Foles has a career passer rating of about 93 under coaches not named Fischer. And it's a pretty good sample size as well with something like 45 TDs to 17 Ints. He's got it in him. Can we get it out is the only question I have but he's a massive upgrade over BB and that's mostly why I'm happy.

(03-12-2019, 08:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's amazing how so many so readily dismiss his successes.

We cant discount his stint with fisher. But we can all agree he was in a poor situation there just as Goff. And Brian Schottenheimer is/was awful

(03-11-2019, 08:23 PM)PAJag Wrote: I watch time and time again other teams trading their players they were going to get rid of for at least some compensation (Bennett to NE, Djax to philly etc) while we never get anything. Then we literally pay more for foles just for the sake of doing it?!???!! Really?!??! That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard were married to a qb that’s never played a whole season for at least 3 years. Wow!!

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM by Bullseye.)

He had only one year with Fisher. 

I'll gladly take his career in its entirety, the Fisher and KC year included.

At the end of the day, with his non Philly years included, we still signed a former Pro Bowler and Super Bowl MVP with a career TD-INT ratio better than 2-1 and a 62% completion percentage.

Now that we've addressed the Fisher year, could you please answer the question you were nice enough to bold?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 10:05 AM by sfljaguarsfan.)

(03-12-2019, 09:25 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 09:18 AM)Rico Wrote: Yet you discredit the years in between because of Fischer?

Foles has a career passer rating of about 93 under coaches not named Fischer. And it's a pretty good sample size as well with something like 45 TDs to 17 Ints. He's got it in him. Can we get it out is the only question I have but he's a massive upgrade over BB and that's mostly why I'm happy.

I was wrong here. His stats are better than what I posted.

Under every coach combined not named Fischer:

Career passer rating 95
49 TDs - 17 Ints

I'm trying to temper expectations but that is so much better than what we've had and I'm having trouble not getting excited.

(03-12-2019, 08:59 AM)JNev Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 08:57 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Constantly draft inconsistently. Better? Are you really going to stand behind an argument that this FO drafts well?

There is no team that constantly drafts well, so I hope that’s not your bar of success

This.

(03-12-2019, 09:50 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 09:18 AM)Rico Wrote: Yet you discredit the years in between because of Fischer?
He had only one year with Fisher. 

At the end of the day, with his non Philly years included, we still signed a former Pro Bowler and Super Bowl MVP with a career TD-INT ratio better than 2-1 and a 62% completion percentage.

Now that we've addressed the Fisher year, could you please answer the question you were nice enough to bold?

Where did I ever discredit them?

(03-12-2019, 07:22 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:35 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: What a ridiculous argument.  Foles base salary and incentives are in line for mid level starting qbs in the league, which is what he is.  We just got better for the next four years.  Be happy!

I just can't see how people are automatically assuming this.  I think we'll have a better idea after...you know...we see them play.

Are you saying you don't assume a team gets better by getting a better quarterback? Sure, there are a lot of variables, but all Foles can do is play the most important position on the field - and he'll do that so much better than Bortles.

As someone who has been in the stands at every Bortles home game (other than London) I look forward to watching games without having to hold my breath during the entire time the Jaguars are on offense.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(03-12-2019, 09:55 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 09:50 AM)Bullseye Wrote: He had only one year with Fisher. 

Where did I ever discredit them?

You haven't, but plenty have.

It's truly astounding how this amazing SB MVP and "pro bowler" only has amassed 1.5 good seasons worth of play so far in his career.

Look Foles is fine as a QB. He's in the low end to average starter tier of QBs, and is one of the most high variance QBs in the NFL history, good and bad. We don't need to pretend he's anything more than that nor do we have to pretend we are likely to get the version of Nick Foles that was in 2013 and 5 games in 2017+2018

(03-12-2019, 10:01 AM)JackCity Wrote: It's truly astounding how this amazing SB MVP and "pro bowler" only has amassed 1.5 good seasons worth of play so far in his career.

Look Foles is fine as a QB. He's in the low end to average starter tier of QBs, and is one of the most high variance QBs in the NFL history, good and bad. We don't need to pretend he's anything more than that nor do we have to pretend we are likely to get the version of Nick Foles that was in 2013 and 5 games in 2017+2018

We judge rookie QBs on MUCH MUCH less

(03-11-2019, 08:56 PM)PAJag Wrote: I just can’t think of a time in recent history where I thought to myself wow we really got a bargain. Weather in free agency or trade we always overpay and get bad value.

Marcell Dareus was a total bargain from the Bills.  He was a big time run stopper and helped lead the Jags to the AFC Championship game.  Prior to Dareus' arrival, the Jags were getting lit up by the Jets backup RBs.

(03-11-2019, 08:23 PM)PAJag Wrote: I watch time and time again other teams trading their players they were going to get rid of for at least some compensation (Bennett to NE, Djax to philly etc) while we never get anything. Then we literally pay more for foles just for the sake of doing it?!???!! Really?!??! That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard were married to a qb that’s never played a whole season for at least 3 years. Wow!!

Take a breath.

The contract Foles will sign tomorrow is perfectly in line with what you'd expect to pay a starting QB.  Especially a starting QB who has valuable experience winning a Super Bowl, and carrying his team to the playoffs this past season.  If you look at what he will sign for here, his salary is on par with guys llike Garopolo and Carr.  He's not even in the top 15 of starting QBs with his new deal.  

As far as trading for other team's cast-offs, no thanks.  The draft provides them with plenty of options to fill holes at WR, TE, and for depth on the defense.  The top of the draft presents them with options for OL help as well.  

We're not done in free agency yet.  We got our primary target.  Now we'll look at what other areas we can upgrade there.

Sometimes it's best to withhold judgment until you see what the ENTIRE offseason looks like. I think that's the case this year.  We've upgraded the QB position, and we were paying Bortles over $16M a year to stink up the place.  Foles' positive impact on the locker room is going to be almost immediate.

Like I said, take a deep breath and relax.  You'll live longer.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(03-12-2019, 09:53 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 09:25 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: Foles has a career passer rating of about 93 under coaches not named Fischer. And it's a pretty good sample size as well with something like 45 TDs to 17 Ints. He's got it in him. Can we get it out is the only question I have but he's a massive upgrade over BB and that's mostly why I'm happy.

I was wrong here. His stats are better than what I posted.

Under every coach combined not named Fischer:

Career passer rating 95
49 TDs - 17 Ints

I'm trying to temper expectations but that is so much better than what we've had and I'm having trouble not getting excited.

Same thoughts here. Seeing that difference of Fisher vs everyone else really shows you how garbage Fisher is. It's definitely an encouraging sign, especially since he'll be paired with DeFilippo

(03-12-2019, 10:01 AM)JackCity Wrote: It's truly astounding how this amazing SB MVP and "pro bowler" only has amassed 1.5 good seasons worth of play so far in his career.

His contract aligns with your evaluation of NFL starting QBs.  I think the team will be fine.  I also think that having his QB coach in Philly designing the offense, it will benefit him greatly.  We are more likely to get that 2017/2018 version of Foles than we are to get the guy who played for Jeff Fisher.  

He's the 11th highest paid QB in the league with this new deal.  I don't have a problem with that as long as I don't see a ton of batted balls at the line, interceptions off receivers feet, fumbles, or a ton of pick 6's.  We paid over $16M for that last year.  I think Foles will prove to be a significant upgrade over what we had on the field ast year, and with this defense, that's all we want.  It makes their lives easier to have a QB who isn't rattling off 3 and outs like he's Oprah Winfrey giving away cars.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 10:33 AM by Caldrac.)

It's not my money. So I have no personal stake in all of this. I'll just remain a humble spectator. But the season ticket holders keep this franchise in this city and I have no problem with anybody in that group [BLEEP] and complaining about it. They have every right. More so than I do.

My only concern with Foles being here is that it's not so much as him. But who he has to work with around here on offense is a concern. It's rare that you'll see one draft class fix or change everything in one year. So even if the FO manages to land four quality starters on offense to assist Foles it'll still be a work in progress. This isn't Madden where you can draft studs in every round or trick the system into giving you future draft picks for crappy picks the year before. Takes time, patience.

The Eagles from top down on offense are a much better football team. Doug Pederson is a much better offensive play caller and seems to have a better feel for the game in general. We don't have a Jason Peters, Lane Johnson or Jason Kelce on this team.

They have suffered through some injuries up there along the trenches but we're nearly guaranteed to see Linder miss a few games here and there due to various injuries. Robinson coming back off an ACL is a tall order for a man of his size. Parnell is gone. And that RG spot has been up and down for awhile. And Norwell? IDK. We'll have to see if he steps it up in 2019. Right off the top of my head though I can tell you this team will need a tall, go up and get it type WR on the outside. And we'll need either an above average athlete at TE or a pair of TE's that can nickel and dime a defense over the middle.

I think Westbrook and Lee can offer Foles some good targets here and there. But this offense will not operate smoothly nor consistently without viable weapons at the TE position. If they don't walk out of this draft with at least one of the top five TE prospects it'll be a long year for Foles. Hear me now. Believe me later.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-12-2019, 10:21 AM)FBT Wrote:

His contract aligns with your evaluation of NFL starting QBs.  I think the team will be fine.  I also think that having his QB coach in Philly designing the offense, it will benefit him greatly.  We are more likely to get that 2017/2018 version of Foles than we are to get the guy who played for Jeff Fisher.  

He's the 11th highest paid QB in the league with this new deal.  I don't have a problem with that as long as I don't see a ton of batted balls at the line, interceptions off receivers feet, fumbles, or a ton of pick 6's.  We paid over $16M for that last year.  I think Foles will prove to be a significant upgrade over what we had on the field ast year, and with this defense, that's all we want.  It makes their lives easier to have a QB who isn't rattling off 3 and outs like he's Oprah Winfrey giving away cars.

That, and also, we finally have a QB who can take advantage of that dreaded 8-men-in-the-box defense that has given us fits for the last few years.

(03-12-2019, 10:31 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's not my money. So I have no personal stake in all of this. I'll just remain a humble spectator. But the season ticket holders keep this franchise in this city and I have no problem with anybody in that group [BLEEP] and complaining about it. They have every right. More so than I do.

My only concern with Foles being here is that it's not so much as him. But who he has to work with around here on offense is a concern. It's rare that you'll see one draft class fix or change everything in one year. So even if the FO manages to land four quality starters on offense to assist Foles it'll still be a work in progress. This isn't Madden where you can draft studs in every round or trick the system into giving you future draft picks for crappy picks the year before. Takes time, patience.

The Eagles from top down on offense are a much better football team. Doug Pederson is a much better offensive play caller and seems to have a better feel for the game in general. We don't have a Jason Peters, Lane Johnson or Jason Kelce on this team.

They have suffered through some injuries up there along the trenches but we're nearly guaranteed to see Linder miss a few games here and there due to various injuries. Robinson coming back off an ACL is a tall order for a man of his size. Parnell is gone. And that RG spot has been up and down for awhile. And Norwell? IDK. We'll have to see if he steps it up in 2019. Right off the top of my head though I can tell you this team will need a tall, go up and get it type WR on the outside. And we'll need either an above average athlete at TE or a pair of TE's that can nickel and dime a defense over the middle.

I think Westbrook and Lee can offer Foles some good targets here and there. But this offense will not operate smoothly nor consistently without viable weapons at the TE position. If they don't walk out of this draft with at least one of the top five TE prospects it'll be a long year for Foles. Hear me now. Believe me later.

This is my problem with the signing precisely and exactly why I think it is a waste.  I can't see any way they make the playoffs this year.  I would have much rather seen them draft a rookie and (theoretically) have him develop along with the rest of the draft picks and whatever other players they picked up via FA to fill in the offensive line.

(03-12-2019, 10:21 AM)FBT Wrote:

We are more likely to get the guy who's inbetween both versions i.e the madly high variance QB who flies between his 2013 self and Jeff Fisher self depending on the down , series and game. His support system here Vs in Philly is tiers apart too. 

Main focus now is how we build that offense , not just talent wise. Hopefully Doug will be able to move away from the grind the gears bully scheme and let De Filippo install more of a finesse "go around the enemy not through him" scheme