Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offensive Philosophy (merged)

(03-26-2019, 11:00 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 10:13 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Derp Derp Derp

We decided to finally tailor an offense around the QB

Derp Derp Derp

I truly believe if Bortles had a play book soley build around his strengths as a runner, he might still be our QB. He needs more RPO, less traditional pass plays.

He's a backyard football player.

Hike the ball and let him play.

Trying to bog him down with mental stuff was just stupid...

At a certain point when we knew the season was a loss, what did they have to lose by trying it?

Don't get me wrong, a change was needed, but why not at least try to play to his strengths instead of trying to bang a square peg into a round hole.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-26-2019, 11:30 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 11:00 AM)Dimson Wrote: I truly believe if Bortles had a play book soley build around his strengths as a runner, he might still be our QB. He needs more RPO, less traditional pass plays.

At a certain point when we knew the season was a loss, what did they have to lose by trying it?

Don't get me wrong, a change was needed, but why not at least try to play to his strengths instead of trying to bang a square peg into a round hole.

He could barely throw the ball from A to B, the amount of offense you can run with a player like that is tiny, and that's not even taking the mental side of his game into consideration

(03-26-2019, 11:30 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 11:00 AM)Dimson Wrote: I truly believe if Bortles had a play book soley build around his strengths as a runner, he might still be our QB. He needs more RPO, less traditional pass plays.

Yea. Stupid Marrone. Asking his franchise QB to make smart intelligent plays.

I love Blake, and I don't think Foles is the second coming of Joe Montana or anything, but isn't it nice to be able to talk about the strengths of our quarterback in the passing game?  I could probably meditate peacefully to this thought.

(03-26-2019, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 11:30 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: He's a backyard football player.

Yea. Stupid Marrone. Asking his franchise QB to make smart intelligent plays.

Yea, it was stupid of Marrone (but he's very, very stupid) to ask a guy like Blake Bortles to be Tom Brady.

(03-26-2019, 12:14 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Yea. Stupid Marrone. Asking his franchise QB to make smart intelligent plays.

Yea, it was stupid of Marrone (but he's very, very stupid) to ask a guy like Blake Bortles to be Tom Brady.
Be like Tom Brady?!

They dumbed the playbook down and just asked him not to turn the ball over. They never asked him to win games like Tom does every single week.

(03-26-2019, 01:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 12:14 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Yea, it was stupid of Marrone (but he's very, very stupid) to ask a guy like Blake Bortles to be Tom Brady.
Be like Tom Brady?!

They dumbed the playbook down and just asked him not to turn the ball over. They never asked him to win games like Tom does every single week.

To me that was the mistake. Yes they dumbed it down to avoid mistakes. But what they should have done is designed it from the beginning to fit what Blake does best. Read Option is where Blake shines. They should have had more of that in the play calling.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019, 01:16 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

Our offense is gonna look a lot like Philly's in 2017.. I just hope they change a few things up, or else all teams have to do is watch tape of that season and we are in trouble. I think as long as we give them a healthy dose of Fournette, switch between short, intermediate, and deep throws, and emphasize play action to keep the D honest, we will be good. Our schedule is basically the hardest in the league, though.

(03-26-2019, 10:15 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Marrone on the Foles/DeFilippo offense:

Marrone said the Jaguars’ offense in a very real sense will be Foles’ offense immediately – a relatively unusual situation for a free-agent quarterback joining a new team.

“We have changed some things,” he said. “There are going to be some challenges for Nick and some changes. I can’t speak for what would be subtle and what would be major for him. I’m a coach, so they don’t look like major changes, but when our players report April 15 [for the offseason program] if we handed the playbook out to each player, the player who is going to know the most in that playbook is going to be Nick Foles.

“He’s going to know more because there are things in there that he’s done, and it has been called that way and he’s very comfortable; everyone else is going to have to be learning and catching up to where he is. That’s a unique situation. It’s one that I think helps you.”

https://www.jaguars.com/news/league-meet...-defilippo
He's been really driving this home which is promising.  

My suspicion is the few changes he's referring to is a bigger under center section of the playbook than the Eagles had to make more use of a power run game and Fournette. 

I actually like that if so. Being able to run spread and switch up to a power game is a nice 1-2 to give teams to think about.

I think you suspect correctly and I think it can be a good mix-up.

(03-26-2019, 03:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 10:15 AM)JackCity Wrote: He's been really driving this home which is promising.  

My suspicion is the few changes he's referring to is a bigger under center section of the playbook than the Eagles had to make more use of a power run game and Fournette. 

I actually like that if so. Being able to run spread and switch up to a power game is a nice 1-2 to give teams to think about.

I think you suspect correctly and I think it can be a good mix-up.

The balance between those two will be interesting. For instance if Fournette is struggling on those shotgun runs and the run game as a whole isn't doing great, will Marrone switch up to a more power based game to compensate?

(03-26-2019, 07:11 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 03:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think you suspect correctly and I think it can be a good mix-up.

The balance between those two will be interesting. For instance if Fournette is struggling on those shotgun runs and the run game as a whole isn't doing great, will Marrone switch up to a more power based game to compensate?

I imagine they’ll go by what the opposing defense has given up historically coming into the contest and adjust if the initial plan isn’t working or the defense is adjusting to them well. 

Regardless, there will be a page in the book of power runs with Foles under center. 

I just hope that page includes some permutations involving Foles throwing the ball from that set if the defense is keyed on Fournette. 

The thing I’m most interested in is how they use Fournette catching the ball out of the backfield. 
I hope they get creative with that aspect.

Sort of an interesting draft in the context of our offensive philosophy. We took a move TE who probably ran more routes out wide than any TE in this years class and isn't the blocking type at all, and then added a back like Armstead who is very much so a one cut and go runner who isn't much of a space back at all.

Barring a trade it doesn't seem as though RBs will be emphasized in the passing game much bar the usual basic swing routes and stuff. I'd like to see a lot more screens with LF and Armstead as I think you can create a lot of big plays that way, kind of use it as a faux run game.

I

I’d still bank on plenty of RB swings and screens.

Fournette has good hands, Cunningham has good hands, and Armstead reportedly does too even though he wasn’t featured that way in school.

(04-30-2019, 09:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’d still bank on plenty of RB swings and screens.

Fournette has good hands, Cunningham has good hands, and Armstead reportedly does too even though he wasn’t featured that way in school.

Bumping this thread for a relevant update:

Quote:One hint: The offense under Foles and new coordinator John DeFilippo figures to heavily feature running backs in the passing offense.

“Backs are going to catch a lot of balls,” Foles said.
That will make the search for a reliable receiving back out of the backfield important. The Jaguars overhauled the running back position in the offseason, with starter Leonard Fournette the only player at the position returning from last season.

[font=NotoSerif]“They’ve done a good job,” Foles said. “The backs have to realize: I can’t tell you where the ball’s going until the play snaps. I can’t tell you. I have an idea in my brain, but I still have to read and react and play what the defense does.

“If you look at history, I like getting the ball to the backs at different times. They are a huge part of the offense – getting them out in a five-man pro, getting them in empty formation … If their protection check doesn’t come, getting them out so we have another guy down there. If we check it down, they have to get the first down.[/font]

https://www.jaguars.com/news/otas-day-2-...ng-offense

(03-26-2019, 01:15 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 01:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Be like Tom Brady?!

To me that was the mistake. Yes they dumbed it down to avoid mistakes. But what they should have done is designed it from the beginning to fit what Blake does best. Read Option is where Blake shines. They should have had more of that in the play calling.

Blake could not correct his mechanics, last year he reverted back to his drop the ball low windup.  As a result, the ball came out slower and his accuracy was diminished. He could never maintain a level of accuracy required to be effective. He had some great games but they were too few and far apart to hold the starting position.  So I don't believe any game plan could save his job. As a person he was a Hall of Famer, as a player he is at best a backup.

(05-24-2019, 09:33 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 01:15 PM)Dimson Wrote: To me that was the mistake. Yes they dumbed it down to avoid mistakes. But what they should have done is designed it from the beginning to fit what Blake does best. Read Option is where Blake shines. They should have had more of that in the play calling.

Blake could not correct his mechanics, last year he reverted back to his drop the ball low windup.  As a result, the ball came out slower and his accuracy was diminished. He could never maintain a level of accuracy required to be effective. He had some great games but they were too few and far apart to hold the starting position.  So I don't believe any game plan could save his job. As a person he was a Hall of Famer, as a player he is at best a backup.

You might be right but I am going to be following his career and I will be rooting for him as long as he isn't playing against the Jags.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...46656?s=09

The Jaguars played with 3 WRs on the field 80% of the time on Sunday, one of the highest marks in the league. Granted we were chasing the game so it somewhat distorts things but I think it's good sign nonetheless

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 04:17 PM by I am Yoda.)

(05-24-2019, 09:45 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 09:33 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: Blake could not correct his mechanics, last year he reverted back to his drop the ball low windup.  As a result, the ball came out slower and his accuracy was diminished. He could never maintain a level of accuracy required to be effective. He had some great games but they were too few and far apart to hold the starting position.  So I don't believe any game plan could save his job. As a person he was a Hall of Famer, as a player he is at best a backup.

You might be right but I am going to be following his career and I will be rooting for him as long as he isn't playing against the Jags.

+1

(09-10-2019, 04:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...46656?s=09

The Jaguars played with 3 WRs on the field 80% of the time on Sunday, one of the highest marks in the league. Granted we were chasing the game so it somewhat distorts things but I think it's good sign nonetheless

Thanks for this.
[Image: giphy.gif]