Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offensive Philosophy (merged)

It was nice to read De Filippo and Marrone say the new scheme will be near exactly what Foles has had in the past.

Not a surprise really, but I had some doubts (still have some doubts i guess until i see it ) that Marrone would want to keep large parts of the power run game and under center stuff. The more he talks about how close to the Eagles scheme it will be the more hopeful I am.

Expect lots more shotgun runs vs light boxes , tons of RPOS, screens, quick hitters etc etc. Will be quite refreshing from what we've had here if they pull it off. You can still be very much so a ball control team with that offense..its just makes the margins of error a bit less + will help out the line

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-13-2019, 06:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: It was nice to read De Filippo and Marrone say the new scheme will be near exactly what Foles has had in the past.  

Not a surprise really, but I had some doubts (still have some doubts i guess until i see it ) that Marrone would want to keep large parts of the power run game and under center stuff. The more he talks about how close to the Eagles scheme it will be the more hopeful I am.  

Expect lots more shotgun runs vs light boxes , tons of RPOS, screens, quick hitters etc etc. Will be quite refreshing from what we've had here if they pull it off. You can still be very much so a ball control team with that offense..its just makes the margins of error a bit less + will help out the line

I've been offline today.  Where did you see that stuff, would like to read about it?

(03-13-2019, 06:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: It was nice to read De Filippo and Marrone say the new scheme will be near exactly what Foles has had in the past.  

In all honesty, I never fully bought into the “we want to run the ball every play” thing.  To me it reeked of, “we’ll play to our strengths, and BB isn’t our strength”. I was fooled after the playoff run thinking he could be the man.  But the play calling all of the playoff season just said “ we don’t trust Blake”. Having Foles on the roster, I do believe things will change offensively.

(03-13-2019, 06:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I've been offline today.  Where did you see that stuff, would like to read about it?

On the main page its only Marrone and De Filippo saying the terminology and scheme will be very similar for Nick so he won't be learning a new offense. So the more we hear about that the more we can be sure its an Eagles type scheme so the rest can naturally be expected

(03-13-2019, 06:49 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 06:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've been offline today.  Where did you see that stuff, would like to read about it?

On the main page its only Marrone and De Filippo saying the terminology and scheme will be very similar for Nick so he won't be learning a new offense. So the more we hear about that the more we can be sure its an Eagles type scheme so the rest can naturally be expected

Right. OK.

I'd be shocked if the quick hits, screens and RPOs are not part of the plan.  Very intrigued about who will be spelling Fournette and if they'll try to land a scat-back type to throw into the RB mix. Those players are likely to be heavily utilized if they play to Foles' strengths.

(03-13-2019, 06:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 06:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: On the main page its only Marrone and De Filippo saying the terminology and scheme will be very similar for Nick so he won't be learning a new offense. So the more we hear about that the more we can be sure its an Eagles type scheme so the rest can naturally be expected

Right. OK.

I'd be shocked if the quick hits, screens and RPOs are not part of the plan.  Very intrigued about who will be spelling Fournette and if they'll try to land a scat-back type to throw into the RB mix. Those players are likely to be heavily utilized if they play to Foles' strengths.

With how injury prone Fournette is I think we almost need two new backs , depending on what you think of Williams i guess. A scat back/big play type like you said that we can do all kinds of fun stuff with and then maybe a more traditional north south guy with size and contact balance to take over for Fournette.

(03-13-2019, 07:08 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 06:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Right. OK.

With how injury prone Fournette is I think we almost need two new backs , depending on what you think of Williams i guess. A scat back/big play type like you said that we can do all kinds of fun stuff with and then maybe a more traditional north south guy with size and contact balance to take over for Fournette.
My thoughts as well.

https://twitter.com/brentasjax/status/11...09632?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 01:51 PM by fredalwaysajag.)

Foles to Chark. Foles to Westbrook. Foles to Cole. Foles to Metcalf~ Sanders in the flats. Lee?
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(03-14-2019, 01:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/JohnReid64/status/11...5512272897

Both Coach and Tom saying, basically.. "We can open up the playbook now."- You gotta take Metcalf if he's there.  Tom talm'bout the oline str8, save for the injuries.

https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1...98816?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

So for two years we tried to force a QB to do somthing he is not comfortable with. Now we are going to design the offense to what the QB can and cant do. Makes sence these morons cant make up their mind.

(03-14-2019, 02:40 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: So for two years we tried to force a QB to do somthing he is not comfortable with. Now we are going to design the offense to what the QB can and cant do. Makes sence these morons cant make up their mind.

Blake's comfort zone(s) was/were very limited, as thus the option to really open up the playbook. Now they can really open up the playbook.

(03-14-2019, 02:40 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: So for two years we tried to force a QB to do somthing he is not comfortable with. Now we are going to design the offense to what the QB can and cant do. Makes sence these morons cant make up their mind.

You can't be this dense. 

The list of things Blake "wasn't comfortable with" i.e. couldn't do was as long as my arm and the list of things he was good at was 2 or 3 things - one of which was running the ball. 

They had to dumb it wayyyyyyy down for the guy. 

BTW - he's gone. 

Let it go for the sake of everyone's sanity including your own.

(03-14-2019, 01:46 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/brentasjax/status/11...09632?s=21

my fav part of this clip is how happy Vito looks

(03-14-2019, 03:31 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 01:46 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/brentasjax/status/11...09632?s=21

my fav part of this clip is how happy Vito looks

Vito is just happy to be breathing another day. 
(of course he was long ready to see Bortles go as well)

I don't buy the idea that the team had to "dumb down" the playbook for Bortles, at least not the past 2 or 3 seasons.  While he isn't/wasn't a very good QB, he's still pretty intelligent.

With that being said I like the idea of being "balanced".  I would still focus on being run-first with the ability to open it up passing should teams stack the box.  Once teams are forced to play what I call "honest" (ie. not stacking the box against the run) the run game can be very effective.  The problem wasn't just the QB position, though that was a major portion of it.  Other parts of the problem included ineffective receivers, the lack of good O line play (injuries played a role here) and the lack of a good TE.

One part of the equation has been addressed with signing Nick Foles.  Plug in 1 or 2 good O-linemen, a good hybrid TE and receivers that can get open and not drop passes are the rest of the equation.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-14-2019, 03:46 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't buy the idea that the team had to "dumb down" the playbook for Bortles, at least not the past 2 or 3 seasons.  While he isn't/wasn't a very good QB, he's still pretty intelligent.

With that being said I like the idea of being "balanced".  I would still focus on being run-first with the ability to open it up passing should teams stack the box.  Once teams are forced to play what I call "honest" (ie. not stacking the box against the run) the run game can be very effective.  The problem wasn't just the QB position, though that was a major portion of it.  Other parts of the problem included ineffective receivers, the lack of good O line play (injuries played a role here) and the lack of a good TE.

One part of the equation has been addressed with signing Nick Foles.  Plug in 1 or 2 good O-linemen, a good hybrid TE and receivers that can get open and not drop passes are the rest of the equation.
What are you basing this off of?

You can watch the games and see that he's not making 2 or 3 reads in a game. You can watch the games and see they run a super simple offense with crossers all the time.