Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cann re-signed

(03-14-2019, 09:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 07:39 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Cann getting a $5m per year deal is a head scratcher to me.  He was a healthy liability last year.

Agreed.

5 million cap hit puts him in the bottom third. And we dont really know the structure. 
Man these guard contracts have really inflated. That Norwell contract is worrisome if his play doesnt pick up significantly

I still want to see a guard drafted in the 2nd or 3rd. Hopefully whatever rookie outplays Cann.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I feel like they need to draft and/or sign Tackles with versatility to play Guard and let Richardson, and the new guys all compete for RT - then the losers of that RT battle  can challenge Cann at RG.

In other words:
  • Add versatile talent to the O-Line pool of players
  • Get the best five players on the field
  • Doesn't matter if Cann becomes depth
I think they should be aggressive about adding competition for the right side and if Shatley isn't re-signed, one of those guys need to have center experience.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 11:21 AM by irontrooper83.)

(03-14-2019, 10:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I feel like they need to draft and/or sign Tackles with versatility to play Guard and let Richardson, and the new guys all compete for RT - then the losers of that RT battle  can challenge Cann at RG.

In other words:
I think they should be aggressive about adding competition for the right side and if Shatley isn't re-signed, one of those guys need to have center experience.

I agree with the points above and the profile you described makes me think of a guy like Dalton Risner: he's a right tackle who excellted at senior bowl, smart, has the tools to kick inside at guard if needed and has played center in college before moving to RT. Would be a fit at 38 if they choose not to go with a Lindstrom (I hope they get him). Less likely to happen if they sign an OT in the first but Risner is definitely a name to watch because of his versatility (and his attitude,  Marrone would love that guy)

(03-14-2019, 11:21 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 10:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I feel like they need to draft and/or sign Tackles with versatility to play Guard and let Richardson, and the new guys all compete for RT - then the losers of that RT battle  can challenge Cann at RG.

In other words:

I agree with the points above and the profile you described makes me think of a guy like Dalton Risner: he's a right tackle who excellted at senior bowl, smart, has the tools to kick inside at guard if needed and has played center in college before moving to RT. Would be a fit at 38 if they choose not to go with a Lindstrom (I hope they get him). Less likely to happen if they sign an OT in the first but Risner is definitely a name to watch because of his versatility (and his attitude,  Marrone would love that guy)

I agree on Risner, and I like Lindstrom too if they go that route.  If they draft either of them, I hope they don't stop there at adding talent. 

I'm hoping to see another free agent added as well - even if it's a lower tier guy for depth. 

After last season's debacle of injuries - versatile depth feels like a must and the cupboard is completely bare right now.

(03-14-2019, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 11:21 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: I agree with the points above and the profile you described makes me think of a guy like Dalton Risner: he's a right tackle who excellted at senior bowl, smart, has the tools to kick inside at guard if needed and has played center in college before moving to RT. Would be a fit at 38 if they choose not to go with a Lindstrom (I hope they get him). Less likely to happen if they sign an OT in the first but Risner is definitely a name to watch because of his versatility (and his attitude,  Marrone would love that guy)

I agree on Risner, and I like Lindstrom too if they go that route.  If they draft either of them, I hope they don't stop there at adding talent. 

I'm hoping to see another free agent added as well - even if it's a lower tier guy for depth. 

After last season's debacle of injuries - versatile depth feels like a must and the cupboard is completely bare right now.

I agree, I don't want to risk anything like last year on the OL, I hope we get at least 2 TE and 2 OL in the first 4 rounds, unless some really talented S , DE, LB or WR falls to us. And let's hope to find a gem among the undrafted guys, hitting on an OL or a NT (Abry Jones level) would be huge.

In other words:

That's what I've been saying for years. O-Linemen need to show versatility. I don't like drafting guys who have no experience playing outside of one specific position. Versatility is a must, especially when you have had as many injuries as we have had on the O-Line. Personally, I pray Cann does become depth, because he needs to be upgraded.

OL KC McDermott and Brandon Thomas are still on the Jaguars roster from last year. Maybe they become more than just depth in a new blocking/offensive?

(03-14-2019, 03:23 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

In other words:

That's what I've been saying for years. O-Linemen need to show versatility. I don't like drafting guys who have no experience playing outside of one specific position. Versatility is a must, especially when you have had as many injuries as we have had on the O-Line. Personally, I pray Cann does become depth, because he needs to be upgraded.

We've had a tremendous amount of versatility on our O-line for a long time.

Problem is, we have a serious lack of overall talent on our O-line for a long time.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(03-14-2019, 07:00 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: OL KC McDermott and Brandon Thomas are still on the Jaguars roster from last year. Maybe they become more than just depth in a new blocking/offensive?

They would have to make HUGE strides forward, just to be serviceable backups.

(03-14-2019, 07:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 07:00 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: OL KC McDermott and Brandon Thomas are still on the Jaguars roster from last year. Maybe they become more than just depth in a new blocking/offensive?

They would have to make HUGE strides forward, just to be serviceable backups.

But isn't that the entire purpose of the practice squads, player development?

I guess Thomas has been around league so not a lot of hope there.

But McDermott is going into his first full NFL off season. You never know how that will change things.

(03-14-2019, 07:56 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 07:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: They would have to make HUGE strides forward, just to be serviceable backups.

But isn't that the entire purpose of the practice squads, player development?

I guess Thomas has been around league so not a lot of hope there.

But McDermott is going into his first full NFL off season. You never know how that will change things.

I guess we'll find out in the preseason.

A bigger potential issue than Cann alone is our new Oline coach. We need him to rebound from a very poor coaching job with the Bucs and get them playing like a unit the same way we had em in 2017 with Pat Flat. As oline coach he'll have a huge role in our new run game and he failed miserably there with Tampa too. Fingers crossed he gets it done

When some players quit and pouted, like Fournette, AJ Cann played the whole season and played hurt.
I like that about him. He’s an average guard
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 07:29 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Cann I'd kinda like Bortles imo. Cann can have a really good game every now and then and then he will just look horrible in others

I would of rather kept Parnell though

My surprise backup guy last year on the line was Walker. I would like to see him back and compete.

(03-15-2019, 08:56 AM)ATLjag Wrote: My surprise backup guy last year on the line was Walker.   I would like to see him back and compete.

I thought Wells was miles better than Walker. 

Shatley and Wells are the only two I'd bring back from that depth pool. I tend to be hyper-critical of last year's o-line debacle, but I don't remember seeing much I liked from Walker.  What did you see?

(03-15-2019, 10:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 08:56 AM)ATLjag Wrote: My surprise backup guy last year on the line was Walker.   I would like to see him back and compete.

Shatley and Wells are the only two I'd bring back from that depth pool. I tend to be hyper-critical of last year's o-line debacle, but I don't remember seeing much I liked from Walker.  What did you see?

Wells is a good pass protector he just doesn't get push in the run game.

(03-15-2019, 10:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Shatley is SOLID...and has the versatility to play C and G.  Hopefully they made him a priority to bring back.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

In other words:

I seem to recall either Boselli or Oehser saying at one point last year that Cann was either taking practice reps at center because of injuries, or had worked some as a center previously and could play the position if necessary.

(03-15-2019, 08:56 AM)ATLjag Wrote: My surprise backup guy last year on the line was Walker. I would like to see him back and compete.

On an offensive line full of bad play last year, his was unquestionably the worst, imo. His "blocking" made Cann and Flowers look like superstars at times.

https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/11066...78880?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."