Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TE Talk

I have no idea why anyone would think the club believes the OL is "set" simply for re-signing Cann.

I really hope we have a chance to trade out and add picks. Regardless, I believe the first two picks will go RT, TE in that order.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-14-2019, 07:24 PM)pirkster Wrote: I have no idea why anyone would think the club believes the OL is "set" simply for re-signing Cann.

I really hope we have a chance to trade out and add picks.  Regardless, I believe the first two picks will go RT, TE in that order.

They haven't released the contract details. It would be really interesting to see how much they really trust Cann with guaranteed money.

I remember someone saying they really want at least some players at each position group so they can field a team pre-draft. I seriously doubt they would not take the opportunity to upgrade any position on the OL, if that happens.

(03-14-2019, 04:24 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 02:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Whether or not we re-signed Cann, is irrelevant. He still sucks and needs to be upgraded. That hasn't changed. I still believe O-Line is a much weaker unit than the WR's. Marquise Lee will be returning, Westbrook is still solid and Chark has some experience under his belt. I would like to see how they do with a much better QB throwing to them. I believe we should still add a WR in the 3rd to 4th round range, but I don't think it's as dire a need as some people. If we draft an elite TE, and come back with a healthy unit of Lee, Westbrook and Chark, I believe Foles can be successful, but only if we can keep him protected, which I have no faith in, considering we have a RT with little to no NFL experience and a RG that sucks. I believe our QB's bear the bulk of the blame for our passing woes last year.

It doesn't matter what you or I think unfortunately, the team thinks that Robinson/Norwell/Linder/Cann is set. I do not think that the team thinks our WR corps are set. Westbrook, Chark, and Lee might be the worst WR corps in the league, especially for a team that has contending aspirations. Especially for one that just signed an average QB that we know needs a top shelf supporting cast.

And yeah I agree they are finally going to prioritize TE as the major need that they haven't treated thus far.

Where are you getting this from? Can you site a source?

(03-14-2019, 07:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 04:24 PM)Upper Wrote: It doesn't matter what you or I think unfortunately, the team thinks that Robinson/Norwell/Linder/Cann is set. I do not think that the team thinks our WR corps are set. Westbrook, Chark, and Lee might be the worst WR corps in the league, especially for a team that has contending aspirations. Especially for one that just signed an average QB that we know needs a top shelf supporting cast.

And yeah I agree they are finally going to prioritize TE as the major need that they haven't treated thus far.

Where are you getting this from? Can you site a source?

hottakes.com

(03-14-2019, 09:14 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...0101664768

Quote is from Coughlin there for those not following along closely ^

Hypothetical: Suppose we take Hockenson at 7, and by some chance, Fant is there for us at our pick in the 2nd round.

Do you take him?

That's the conundrum I faced with a recent Fanspeak mock.

I wound up taking him, then Kaleb Mcgary in the 3rd.

(God bless Fanspeak! LOL)

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 11:30 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-14-2019, 05:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I fully expect this team to take a TE at #7. I believe it will be Hockenson, but Fant is very, very close as well and I'd be fine with either one. In fact, I believe both will be selected in the top 20. I just hope the team recognizes the need for offensive line help as well and uses that #38 pick to draft a guy like Chris Lindstrom. He would be a HUGE  upgrade over Cann. We could then find a swing Tackle type in the 3rd or 4th round like Chuma Edoga or Bobby Evans who could compete at both OT positions, giving us some flexibility a long the O-Line. With Will Richardson being a RT only, we're a little pigeon-holed at the moment.

Though I believe it is more likely than I thought a couple of weeks ago, I still think the team would go RT (Taylor or Ford) first.

I remember an interview TC gave during the 1995 draft, where he said when building a team, you take the QB first, then you take guys who can rush the QB, then guys who can protect the passer.

We now presumably have the QB.

We have guys who can get after the passer (though as strong as this defensive class supposedly is, and given Campbell's age, and with Ngakoue's rookie deal expiring soon, taking a guy like Sweat if available wouldn't be all bad). 

We desperately need a RT.

I think if TC has the deciding vote, he takes one of the Ts available.

(I think Williams is the "safest" pick, but I think Taylor and Ford have the potential to be the best RTs.)

But I think if there is a year where TC would take a TE in the first round, this might be it.

(03-14-2019, 11:07 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Hypothetical:  Suppose we take Hockenson at 7, and by some chance, Fant is there for us at our pick in the 2nd round.

Do you take him?

(God bless Fanspeak!  LOL)

I like the idea of taking two TEs - but I’d not use that much early capital with the question marks at RT.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 11:30 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-14-2019, 07:31 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we take a TE in the first it wont even be a debate.  I do hope we take another one in the mid to later rounds.  I like Caleb Wilson as a recieving TE if we want to go that route

If we take Hockenson at 7, I'd love a late 3rd or 4th round selection of Wilson.

(03-14-2019, 11:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 11:07 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Hypothetical:  Suppose we take Hockenson at 7, and by some chance, Fant is there for us at our pick in the 2nd round.

Do you take him?

(God bless Fanspeak!  LOL)

I like the idea of taking two TEs - but I’d not use that much early capital with the question marks at RT.

Understood.  It was a calculated risk.  Because I knew where McGary was on the board, I went Fant in the 2nd.

I've been running fanspeak mocks pretty much all night.  The way it's typically turned out, one of three things would happen.  If I took the T early, I wound up not getting the TE until much later.  If I took the TE, just the opposite would happen.  There was one scenario where Bosa was there at 7, and another scenario where Q Williams was there.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 11:27 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-14-2019, 12:17 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 11:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I have OL and TE prioritized WELL ahead of WR.
I think OL and TE ideally will consume 2 of the first three picks for the Jags.

I’d love to see a tackle with versatility to play inside selected.

I'm not sure about the OL need priority anymore. We basically have 4/5 of the OL locked in after Cann re-signed, and we drafted a pretty strong candidate to fill that 5th spot last year.

One the WR side, I think we only have one decent startable WR. Chark will hopefully show some development, but I have no faith in anyone after Dede and blind hope in Chark.

And y'all know my reservations for Cam Robinson, while knowing Cann sucks, so I'm definitely not saying oline is strong...just that WR is extraordinarily weak.

I still think OL is a huge priority.

Aside from the fact we have no RT, the entire left side of our OL are coming back from serious injuries.

Furthermore, as many have observed, Cann could be upgraded.

So from an immediate starter perspective, from a competition/upgrade standpoint, and from a depth standpoint, we need OLs.

(03-14-2019, 09:30 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 08:46 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I agree.

In fact double dipping on the o line in addition to TE would be my ideal scenario.  Assuming we keep all seven picks, we could still pick a WR, RB, and a defender.

My ideal positions to be selected would be a traditional TE, a pass catching TE, a guard who can play Center or Tackle as well, a Right Tackle, a shifty RB who can catch a ball, a possession WR and then the best defensive player remaining with the last pick or a developmental QB to compete for the back up role.

I can't argue too much with this.

(03-14-2019, 10:32 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I like the idea of Hockenson in round 1 and then finding another one in round 3 or 4. Last year, Ian Thomas, Mark Andrews, Chris Herndon and Jordan Akins all went in round 3 or later.

Yea, I think Moreau will be there at the top of round 4. He and Hockenson would be a great combo. If he's not Nauta would also be a good pick.

I want to see how Nauta does at his pro day.

His combine 40 was scary bad and awfully disappointing.

(03-14-2019, 02:37 PM)roycee Wrote: I could see them bringing in Tyler Eifert on a one year "prove it" deal. I don't think it would effect draft strategy too much and they'd look to pick one up early in the draft.

TC mentioned the team isn't done in FA and is looking for a bargain.

If he can be brought in at a bargain price, Eifert may be worth the risk, and if paired with a rookie TE like Hockenson, maybe some of the wear and tear can be taken from him and he can be more durable.

(03-14-2019, 07:24 PM)pirkster Wrote: I have no idea why anyone would think the club believes the OL is "set" simply for re-signing Cann.

I really hope we have a chance to trade out and add picks.  Regardless, I believe the first two picks will go RT, TE in that order.

I don't see us trading down from 7.

I don't recall TC trading down in the first when he was here the first time, and the same with Caldwell.

The only shot of that happening, I believe, is if Miami gets the hots for Lock, and wants to trade up over Denver to get him.  Maybe if Montez Sweat is on the board and a pass rush or CB (Greedy Williams) desperate team wants to get over Detroit.

(03-14-2019, 04:24 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 02:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Whether or not we re-signed Cann, is irrelevant. He still sucks and needs to be upgraded. That hasn't changed. I still believe O-Line is a much weaker unit than the WR's. Marquise Lee will be returning, Westbrook is still solid and Chark has some experience under his belt. I would like to see how they do with a much better QB throwing to them. I believe we should still add a WR in the 3rd to 4th round range, but I don't think it's as dire a need as some people. If we draft an elite TE, and come back with a healthy unit of Lee, Westbrook and Chark, I believe Foles can be successful, but only if we can keep him protected, which I have no faith in, considering we have a RT with little to no NFL experience and a RG that sucks. I believe our QB's bear the bulk of the blame for our passing woes last year.

It doesn't matter what you or I think unfortunately, the team thinks that Robinson/Norwell/Linder/Cann is set. I do not think that the team thinks our WR corps are set. Westbrook, Chark, and Lee might be the worst WR corps in the league, especially for a team that has contending aspirations. Especially for one that just signed an average QB that we know needs a top shelf supporting cast.

I'm curious how you know this?  Got a link?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-15-2019, 07:53 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 04:24 PM)Upper Wrote: It doesn't matter what you or I think unfortunately, the team thinks that Robinson/Norwell/Linder/Cann is set. I do not think that the team thinks our WR corps are set. Westbrook, Chark, and Lee might be the worst WR corps in the league, especially for a team that has contending aspirations. Especially for one that just signed an average QB that we know needs a top shelf supporting cast.

I'm curious how you know this?  Got a link?

In fairness to Upper, I don't think it's too far-fetched to believe this.

They just spent a 2nd round pick on Robinson, who had a pretty good rookie year before getting hurt in week 2 last year.

They had just signed Norwell to a huge deal.  As I indicated earlier, he had a shaky start but improved as the season wore on until he got hurt.

Linder has been stable for years until he got hurt last year.

We just re-signed Cann to a 3 year deal.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 08:52 AM by BlueEyedJag.)

(03-14-2019, 11:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I don't see us trading down from 7.

I don't recall TC trading down in the first when he was here the first time, and the same with Caldwell.

The only shot of that happening, I believe, is if Miami gets the hots for Lock, and wants to trade up over Denver to get him.  Maybe if Montez Sweat is on the board and a pass rush or CB (Greedy Williams) desperate team wants to get over Detroit.

I think trading down is a real possibility...speaking of Miami who are they trotting out as QB this year?  Bridgewater back to NO and Taylor to the Chargers...If one of the QBs is there @ 7 they would be my 1st call. What about Washington?

There is still a lot of elite D players that are going to be @ 7 all of which Jacksonville doesn't really "need".
Still think some team falls in love with Metcalf/D. White as the freaks at their positions and comes up for either.

(03-15-2019, 08:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 07:53 AM)Rico Wrote: I'm curious how you know this?  Got a link?

In fairness to Upper, I don't think it's too far-fetched to believe this.

They just spent a 2nd round pick on Robinson, who had a pretty good rookie year before getting hurt in week 2 last year.

They had just signed Norwell to a huge deal.  As I indicated earlier, he had a shaky start but improved as the season wore on until he got hurt.

I think we can all agree that LT/LG/C is set in damn near stone...

However if Lindstrom/Ford/J.Williams is there at the 2nd round pick/late 1st they would take a long look at drafting one to replace Cann.  Even if some of the other OG prospects fall to the 3rd they would be very high on the list.

Prior to FA needs ranked for me:
QB
TE/RG/RT all equal
WR
everything else

After FA:  
TE/RT
RG
WR
Everything else

(03-15-2019, 08:46 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 08:38 AM)Bullseye Wrote: In fairness to Upper, I don't think it's too far-fetched to believe this.

I think we can all agree that LT/LG/C is set in damn near stone...

However if Lindstrom/Ford/J.Williams is there at the 2nd round pick/late 1st they would take a long look at drafting one to replace Cann.  Even if some of the other OG prospects fall to the 3rd they would be very high on the list.

QB
TE/RG/RT all equal
WR
everything else

After FA:  
TE/RT
RG
WR
Everything else

Agreed on the needs, but I wonder if the team sees it that way. It's possible that they will sign a few more budget players at those positions and then draft for the future like they did last year. I have an unpleasant and unshakable feeling that we are gonna end up taking Rashaan Gary at 7 as a future replacement for Calais. Hope not.

But yeah, as for the needs I'd be delighted if they spent at least 4 of their first 5 picks on those positions alone. We only need one WR really, and he needs to be good enough to beat out the current middle-ground WRs we have around the lineup. Luckily this is an incredibly deep year for WRs, I think there will be a host of good starters going as late as the 4th round.

(03-15-2019, 09:02 AM)JagJohn Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 08:46 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: I think we can all agree that LT/LG/C is set in damn near stone...

QB
TE/RG/RT all equal
WR
everything else

After FA:  
TE/RT
RG
WR
Everything else

Agreed on the needs, but I wonder if the team sees it that way. It's possible that they will sign a few more budget players at those positions and then draft for the future like they did last year. I have an unpleasant and unshakable feeling that we are gonna end up taking Rashaan Gary at 7 as a future replacement for Calais. Hope not.

But yeah, as for the needs I'd be delighted if they spent at least 4 of their first 5 picks on those positions alone. We only need one WR really, and he needs to be good enough to beat out the current middle-ground WRs we have around the lineup. Luckily this is an incredibly deep year for WRs, I think there will be a host of good starters going as late as the 4th round.

I too have an uneasy feeling that they could grab Sweat/Gary if there to replace Campbell...or if they trade back grabbing Christian Wilkins to replace Dareus (22.5M next year guaranteed to not be here next year).

If it was up to me TE/OL for sure the 1st/2nd round picks.
3rd Round would be WR/OL.
4th Round TE2.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 10:39 AM by Bullseye.)

(03-15-2019, 09:02 AM)JagJohn Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 08:46 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: I think we can all agree that LT/LG/C is set in damn near stone...

QB
TE/RG/RT all equal
WR
everything else

After FA:  
TE/RT
RG
WR
Everything else

As to the part in bold...you and me both, pal.

I hope it's just indigestion.

(03-15-2019, 09:11 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 09:02 AM)JagJohn Wrote: Agreed on the needs, but I wonder if the team sees it that way. It's possible that they will sign a few more budget players at those positions and then draft for the future like they did last year. I have an unpleasant and unshakable feeling that we are gonna end up taking Rashaan Gary at 7 as a future replacement for Calais. Hope not.

I too have an uneasy feeling that they could grab Sweat/Gary if there to replace Campbell...or if they trade back grabbing Christian Wilkins to replace Dareus (22.5M next year guaranteed to not be here next year).

If it was up to me TE/OL for sure the 1st/2nd round picks.
3rd Round would be WR/OL.
4th Round TE2.

I could tolerate Sweat at 7 a little more than I could tolerate Gary.

At least with Sweat, we could reasonably replicate the 2017 dynamic with Campbell, Ngakoue and Fowler.

I see Gary being nothing but a tease.  Everyone talks about his athleticism.  I saw one scouting report calling him an athletic "freak."  Why didn't it translate into production?

(03-15-2019, 10:34 AM)Bullseye Wrote: At least with Sweat, we could reasonably replicate the 2017 dynamic with Campbell, Ngakoue and Fowler.

It could be even better since it would be Cambell, Ngakoue, and an actually good third EDGE rusher.