Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles presser

(03-14-2019, 01:36 PM)Monty Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 01:22 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Would it have been inappropriate to ask Caldwell why they paid more than market value for Foles? Or if any other teams were bidding for his services? From what I gathered, watching the presser, the answer to that second question would be no, there weren't any other teams that had the same level of interest as jax.

What's the market value for a QB coming off a Super Bowl win followed by a deep playoff run?  Did you think he'd accept 5 mil a year?

Uh, no. But all the critics of the deal-- everyone from this board to the national media--thinks the team could have got him at a lower price. So why not ask the guys who made the deal?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-14-2019, 01:51 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/actionsportsjax/stat...76192?s=21

[Image: giphy.gif]

Thank you, sweet baby Jesus.

(03-14-2019, 01:34 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/ashlynrsullivan/stat...49698?s=21

(03-14-2019, 01:20 PM)Brett Wrote: Anyone else that watched the presser notice the moment Marrone smiled for like 10 seconds straight? It was kinda creepy. I'm not used to that lol.

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...59841?s=21

https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/...13218?s=21

[Image: 2w1p4l.jpg]
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(03-14-2019, 01:50 PM)JackCity Wrote: Bit of a strange question about Chark and Jeffrey considering they're wildly different players with different skillsets, only similarity is height really
N'Keal Harry could be a round 2 guy in the mold of Jeffery.

(03-14-2019, 02:18 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 01:34 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/ashlynrsullivan/stat...49698?s=21

LOL what ever uncle Tom Says yeeehaaaawww!

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...85730?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-14-2019, 01:20 PM)Brett Wrote: Anyone else that watched the presser notice the moment Marrone smiled for like 10 seconds straight? It was kinda creepy. I'm not used to that lol.

You haven't seen him smile like that because he never had a legit NFL QB before. If you were saddled with Bortles as your QB, you'd be grumpy too.  Laughing

Marrone told JP Shadrick on the post presser interview with Lageman that Mike DiRocco was sitting there telling him to smile.  Apparently the press and the PR folks in the stadium think he should smile more.  He was basically making fun of the request.

(03-14-2019, 01:54 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 01:36 PM)Monty Wrote: What's the market value for a QB coming off a Super Bowl win followed by a deep playoff run?  Did you think he'd accept 5 mil a year?

Uh, no. But all the critics of the deal-- everyone from this board to the national media--thinks the team could have got him at a lower price. So why not ask the guys who made the deal?

Are the critics of the deal-- everyone from this baord to the national media, stroking that check?  If not, who cares?  The team set a value for Foles, they targeted him as their top priority, and they gave him a contract that makes him a fairly compensated franchise QB who is not even in the top 10 of most highly paid at his position.  The team was never going to get him for this fantasy $15-17M number.  Had that even been a possibility, I'm sure that would have been the offer.  The reality is, he was going to make $20M this year as a backup, so he wasn't going to be taking lowball offers from other teams.  

This notion that the front office "overspent" on him is borderline nonsensical considering we don't know what his value to this team will be long-term.  If we go to the playoffs 3 or 4 times over the next 4 years, and we get to and win a Super Bowl, are those same people going to complain because we overpaid him?

The bottom line here is simple.  For a franchise QB, we got a bargain.  Especially over the long-term as contracts are simply going to continue to grow for quarterbacks.  They got him for 4 years.  If it doesn't work out, then complain about the money spent, especially if it's you signing his checks.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(03-14-2019, 02:53 PM)FBT Wrote:

Marrone told JP Shadrick on the post presser interview with Lageman that Mike DiRocco was sitting there telling him to smile.  Apparently the press and the PR folks in the stadium think he should smile more.  He was basically making fun of the request.

(03-14-2019, 01:54 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Uh, no. But all the critics of the deal-- everyone from this board to the national media--thinks the team could have got him at a lower price. So why not ask the guys who made the deal?

Are the critics of the deal-- everyone from this baord to the national media, stroking that check?  If not, who cares?  The team set a value for Foles, they targeted him as their top priority, and they gave him a contract that makes him a fairly compensated franchise QB who is not even in the top 10 of most highly paid at his position.  The team was never going to get him for this fantasy $15-17M number.  Had that even been a possibility, I'm sure that would have been the offer.  The reality is, he was going to make $20M this year as a backup, so he wasn't going to be taking lowball offers from other teams.  

This notion that the front office "overspent" on him is borderline nonsensical considering we don't know what his value to this team will be long-term.  If we go to the playoffs 3 or 4 times over the next 4 years, and we get to and win a Super Bowl, are those same people going to complain because we overpaid him?

The bottom line here is simple.  For a franchise QB, we got a bargain.  Especially over the long-term as contracts are simply going to continue to grow for quarterbacks.  They got him for 4 years.  If it doesn't work out, then complain about the money spent, especially if it's you signing his checks.
This really really needed to be said. The guy was literally abut to get paid $20m in Philly this year but we're supposed to imagine he would've taken a 5M a year paycut  OK guys  <wink>

(03-14-2019, 02:53 PM)FBT Wrote: Are the critics of the deal-- everyone from this baord to the national media, stroking that check?  If not, who cares?  The team set a value for Foles, they targeted him as their top priority, and they gave him a contract that makes him a fairly compensated franchise QB who is not even in the top 10 of most highly paid at his position.  The team was never going to get him for this fantasy $15-17M number.  Had that even been a possibility, I'm sure that would have been the offer.  The reality is, he was going to make $20M this year as a backup, so he wasn't going to be taking lowball offers from other teams.  

Exactly.  Was he my first choice as a fan?  Not really, but I like the move that was made rather than taking a gamble on an unknown (college QB from the draft).  Any way you slice it the team still upgraded the position.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-14-2019, 01:54 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 01:36 PM)Monty Wrote: What's the market value for a QB coming off a Super Bowl win followed by a deep playoff run?  Did you think he'd accept 5 mil a year?

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...5446688768

(03-14-2019, 03:10 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 02:53 PM)FBT Wrote: Are the critics of the deal-- everyone from this baord to the national media, stroking that check?  If not, who cares?  The team set a value for Foles, they targeted him as their top priority, and they gave him a contract that makes him a fairly compensated franchise QB who is not even in the top 10 of most highly paid at his position.  The team was never going to get him for this fantasy $15-17M number.  Had that even been a possibility, I'm sure that would have been the offer.  The reality is, he was going to make $20M this year as a backup, so he wasn't going to be taking lowball offers from other teams.  

Exactly.  Was he my first choice as a fan?  Not really, but I like the move that was made rather than taking a gamble on an unknown (college QB from the draft).  Any way you slice it the team still upgraded the position.

That really sums it up.  It's like this fan base suffers from battered spouse syndrome.  We've been kicked in the giblets for so long by sub-standard QB play that we simply must complain about any guy who gets the job.

To be honest, I didn't have a favorite in this draft/free agency season.  None of the draftable QBs are a sure thing, and while I think Foles was the best of the vets availalbe, it's a pretty weak pool.  However, I think his resume pretty much assures us that we'll see much better QB play this year, and I've always been one of those who thinks that if the offense is ranked in the 10-15 range, and our defense doesn't spend the majority of the game on the field trying to clean up offensive mistakes, the team will easily pick up 5-7 wins over last year?  

The only thing that has helped our offensive rankings for the most part under Bortles has been garbage time.  I think a top 15 ranking with Foles on the field will be a far more honest ranking than picking up stats when games are out of hand.  Nobody thinks he's Tom Brady or an elite QB.  He's not being paid like one.  So, is it possible for this fan base to at least allow Foles to prove himself on the field before we deem this a horrible move?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Caldwell and Coughlin defending the move to extend Bortles just shows how clueless they are. Any honest human being would say, "in hindsight, it probably wasn't a good move, but we've learned from it. It's time to move into the future now and put the past behind us."

(03-14-2019, 03:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 01:54 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Uh, no. But all the critics of the deal-- everyone from this board to the national media--thinks the team could have got him at a lower price. So why not ask the guys who made the deal?

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...5446688768

The team may fib about how they came to Foles' value
But no reason for Foles to do so at this point

(03-14-2019, 03:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Caldwell and Coughlin defending the move to extend Bortles just shows how clueless they are. Any honest human being would say, "in hindsight, it probably wasn't a good move, but we've learned from it. It's time to move into the future now and put the past behind us."

Actions speak louder than words.  Coughlin simply said that it was the right decision at the time to extend Bortles coming off a deep playoff run in which he actually contributed to the success.  Neither of them is clueless.  If they were, Bortles would be out in California working on his mechanics...again, preparing to start another season with the Jaguars.  The fact that he's now a free agent is a pretty clear indication, they have a clue what they're doing.

(03-14-2019, 03:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Caldwell and Coughlin defending the move to extend Bortles just shows how clueless they are. Any honest human being would say, "in hindsight, it probably wasn't a good move, but we've learned from it. It's time to move into the future now and put the past behind us."

You really expect them to say my bad
They said they didnt have any regrets

Taking that 16.5 hit is them saying my bad

(03-14-2019, 02:18 PM)Ronster Wrote:

I don't think I've seen Marrone that happy ever.

That's the face of a man who's just won an all you can eat contest!

Just because they may have been dishonest doesn't mean they are clueless.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 03:34 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-14-2019, 03:19 PM)FBT Wrote:

Actions speak louder than words.  Coughlin simply said that it was the right decision at the time to extend Bortles coming off a deep playoff run in which he actually contributed to the success.  Neither of them is clueless.  If they were, Bortles would be out in California working on his mechanics...again, preparing to start another season with the Jaguars.  The fact that he's now a free agent is a pretty clear indication, they have a clue what they're doing.

Yes, they are. Many of us on this board, maybe even the majority of us were against the extension, because it didn't make sense to extend a guy who showed major consistency issues his entire career. Just because they release him now, when everyone in the world now agrees he's not the future of the team, doesn't make them any less clueless. I would say half of this board would've made better decisions regarding this issue and we wouldn't have been so close to the cap, like we are now.

(03-14-2019, 03:19 PM)jagshype Wrote:

You really expect them to say my bad
They said they didnt have any regrets

Taking that 16.5 hit is them saying my bad

I expect them to either say nothing, dance around the issue or say they made a mistake. Saying they didn't regret it, makes them sound either disingenuous or stupid.

(03-14-2019, 03:31 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

Just because they may have been dishonest doesn't mean they are clueless.

By being dishonest, they apparently don't realize how clueless they sound.

(03-14-2019, 03:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 03:31 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Just because they may have been dishonest doesn't mean they are clueless.

By being dishonest, they apparently don't realize how clueless they sound.

Dude, seriously...

Saying Blake earned the extension with the postseason performance was the classy way to handle it. No need to throw shade at the guy you just fired a few hours ago. 

You know damn well they wish they hadn't extended him know.