Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Choose a position priority for the draft:
TE, OL, WR , RB2
OL, TE, WR, RB2
OL, TE, RB2, WR
TE, OL, FS, WR
OL, TE, FS, WR
TE, OL, WR, FS
other
corn
Blank #2
[Show Results]

Draft Priority by Position

(03-15-2019, 03:12 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 03:01 PM)JagJohn Wrote: I disagree, I think we are just one big-bodied X Receiver type away from feeling quite happy with the WR group.

If it's a true dominant WR1 like Metcalf at 7 then sure that + Dede + whatever we get from Chark/Cole/Lee could be quite good. If it's Dede + the enigma trio + a mid round WR then we're going to be in trouble.

I know this is the smoke season, but if this statement from TC reflects the team's thinking, then you may not be happy with the team's approach to the draft as it pertains to the WR position.

Quote:Coughlin also was asked if he was concerned that rookies would be asked to improve an offense that struggled at times in an injury-plagued 2018 season.

“We have more than rookies,” he said. “We have some second-year guys who are going to help us.”

https://www.jaguars.com/news/moving-forw...n-shopping

He's clearly referring to Chark.  What other 2nd year offensive guys do we have that will contribute on offense, Tanner Lee?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Lol, we're talking about the Jaguars. Of course I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Voted corn in memory of Dakota.

Still wanna get Grier in the first 3, otherwise OL and TE are a must.

I'm not feeling that WR is definite. I think we have some decent young ones, and can pick up an unloved FA. I'm looking forward to UDFA for both WR and RB.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019, 07:10 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-15-2019, 12:52 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Although, thats not really the question I suppose. As for our needs, if we ignore value of different positions and just say which positions currently have the lowest rated players in them, I would say it goes TE, RT, FS, RG, RB2, WR, LB.

That's a pretty intelligent response.  I agree with that.  

We can't ignore value when the picks come up.

(03-15-2019, 01:35 PM)Upper Wrote: TE is the biggest need by far.

RT is a bigger need than WR2/3, but WR is a bigger need overall than OL.

We're one good player short of a good oline, we're at least 2 good players short of a good WR corps.

I would say a good offensive line is much more important than a good WR corps.

TE, OL, WR, FS

I hate the idea of drafting an OL in the first round. Hockenson should be the pick.
Cam-Norwell-Linder-Cann is an average core if healthy. Than you add a rookie and hope that Richardson is really to compete.
Lee-Westbrook-Cole-Chark. Just like the Oline, it's an average core.
Wilson-Harrison is a young and inexperienced duo. I hope they will bring a veteran and a rookie.

(03-16-2019, 07:22 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: TE, OL, WR, FS

I hate the idea of drafting an OL in the first round. Hockenson should be the pick.
Cam-Norwell-Linder-Cann is an average core if healthy. Than you add a rookie and hope that Richardson is really to compete.
Wilson-Harrison is a young and inexperienced duo. I hope they will bring a veteran and a rookie.

Why do you hate the idea of drafting an OL in the first round?

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019, 09:21 AM by MikePete54.)

(03-16-2019, 07:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 07:22 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: TE, OL, WR, FS

Why do you hate the idea of drafting an OL in the first round?

I feel like TE is the biggest need. Our new OC like to use tight ends in his attack. Right now, we have Swaim and Koyack...nothing really exciting. Hockenson would be the perfect fit for our offense, and he is know as a good blocker too, so it could help our Oline.
There will be some very good OL players in the second round for sure. The right side of the Oline could be fixed in the 2nd and 3rd round + maybe some cheap vets (bring back Parnell ?).

I think TE and OL are equally important. Next for me would be an inside linebacker and then a toss-up between a QB or FS. WR doesn't seem like a necessity to me this year. I feel like we have some talent at the position and depth. With a few possession TEs, healthy OL, and our newest QB, they should really be able to shine. A late draft guy may be okay. I think this is going to be a balanced, fast-paced offense that relies on spreading the ball around so a true #1 won't be necessary.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(03-16-2019, 10:24 AM)B2hibry Wrote: I think TE and OL are equally important. Next for me would be an inside linebacker and then a toss-up between a QB or FS. WR doesn't seem like a necessity to me this year. I feel like we have some talent at the position and depth. With a few possession TEs, healthy OL, and our newest QB, they should really be able to shine. A late draft guy may be okay. I think this is going to be a balanced, fast-paced offense that relies on spreading the ball around so a true #1 won't be necessary.

I think inside backer should be way down with how few snaps he'd play here personally

(03-15-2019, 03:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 03:12 PM)Upper Wrote: If it's a true dominant WR1 like Metcalf at 7 then sure that + Dede + whatever we get from Chark/Cole/Lee could be quite good. If it's Dede + the enigma trio + a mid round WR then we're going to be in trouble.

I know this is the smoke season, but if this statement from TC reflects the team's thinking, then you may not be happy with the team's approach to the draft as it pertains to the WR position.

Quote:Coughlin also was asked if he was concerned that rookies would be asked to improve an offense that struggled at times in an injury-plagued 2018 season.

“We have more than rookies,” he said. “We have some second-year guys who are going to help us.”

https://www.jaguars.com/news/moving-forw...n-shopping

He's clearly referring to Chark.  What other 2nd year offensive guys do we have that will contribute on offense, Tanner Lee?

Clearly he's referring to Richardson as well as Chark. Both will be expected to do the job they were drafted for this year.

(03-16-2019, 10:28 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 10:24 AM)B2hibry Wrote: I think TE and OL are equally important. Next for me would be an inside linebacker and then a toss-up between a QB or FS. WR doesn't seem like a necessity to me this year. I feel like we have some talent at the position and depth. With a few possession TEs, healthy OL, and our newest QB, they should really be able to shine. A late draft guy may be okay. I think this is going to be a balanced, fast-paced offense that relies on spreading the ball around so a true #1 won't be necessary.

I think inside backer should be way down with how few snaps he'd play here personally
I see your point. But I think it would be smart to go back to a more traditional look after seeing Telvin falling off, busts in the run game and big plays given up with safety/cb confusion. Our coverage sold out a ton to cover scrambling QBs and the run which contributed to some pretty huge play busts. I think moving Jack back outside and getting a more traditional ILB could help tremendously. Quit playing cute and let everyone do what they do best.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019, 12:27 PM by JackCity.)

(03-16-2019, 12:05 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 10:28 AM)JackCity Wrote: I think inside backer should be way down with how few snaps he'd play here personally
I see your point. But I think it would be smart to go back to a more traditional look after seeing Telvin falling off, busts in the run game and big plays given up with safety/cb confusion. Our coverage sold out a ton to cover scrambling QBs and the run which contributed to some pretty huge play busts. I think moving Jack back outside and getting a more traditional ILB could help tremendously. Quit playing cute and let everyone do what they do best.

What do you mean by a more traditional look? More base? Or just a bigger run stopper playing inside on base? 

Jack and Telvin are still the LBs 70% of the time and the guy playing inside on base still needs to be good at coverage or you'll get schemed to pieces by good OCs. I guess I'd be more inclined to leave Jack there

TE, OL, WR, RB, FS, LB.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-16-2019, 12:27 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 12:05 PM)B2hibry Wrote: I see your point. But I think it would be smart to go back to a more traditional look after seeing Telvin falling off, busts in the run game and big plays given up with safety/cb confusion. Our coverage sold out a ton to cover scrambling QBs and the run which contributed to some pretty huge play busts. I think moving Jack back outside and getting a more traditional ILB could help tremendously. Quit playing cute and let everyone do what they do best.

What do you mean by a more traditional look? More base? Or just a bigger run stopper playing inside on base? 

Jack and Telvin are still the LBs 70% of the time and the guy playing inside on base still needs to be good at coverage or you'll get schemed to pieces by good OCs. I guess I'd be more inclined to leave Jack there
Yes, in a traditional 4/3 base formation. Schemed to pieces? What, like now? If I'm being honest, there is a lot of scheming on our part to gloss over Telvin's weaknesses like not getting off of blocks and lack of recovery when biting on play action. Teams are now exposing those weaknesses. Last year the Jags gave up a ton of explosive plays, both in run and pass.

Find the weakness and exploit it: Teams got out of 11 personnel which we match really well, to more 12, 21, and 22 which we don't match well because TEs kill Telvin and lighter CBs.

Anyways, with depth shrinking on the back end and LB play falling off, it would be rediculous to keep rolling with a 60%+ nickle and not address the heavier side. If you can get a big body ILB with above average speed, all the better (there are a few in this draft).

The signing of Ryan tells me that this position will only be addressed further with an undrafted free agent. At this point, I agree that both offensive line and tight end are the top needs. If there was a great tackle, he'd be the logical 1st round pick. Unfortunately, 7 seems a little high for Taylor, Jonah Williams and Ford. Being able to trade back, as is usually the case, would be ideal so the Jags would feel better about taking one of those tackles. If unable to do this, Hockenson would be my choice with the best available offensive lineman (guard or tackle) in the 2nd round. I see this as the most likely scenerio unless crazy things happen and Bosa or Q. Williams are still on the board. I'd still listen to trade offers, but they'd have to be great to pass on either of these future pro-bowlers. With all that being said, I see the draft going like this (by position):

Rd. 1 - Tight End

Rd. 2 - Tackle or guard

Rd. 3 - Tackle or guard (whichever not taken in round 2)

Rd. 3 - Free safety or quarterback

Rd. 4 - Wide receiver 

Rd. 6 - Running back

Rd. 7 - Best special teams guy

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019, 05:23 PM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

RB better be a priority. I harped on this last year and we did nothing in the draft. Fournette will sit out some games at some point. And his productivity/motivation is still somewhat suspect when he is healthy. He is going to need someone to trade out runs with before his body breaks down. Really thought we would get an RB in free agency but doesn't appear likely now.

Still wouldn't mind getting Grier if he is there after round 2.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019, 08:25 PM by JackCity.)

(03-16-2019, 03:02 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 12:27 PM)JackCity Wrote: What do you mean by a more traditional look? More base? Or just a bigger run stopper playing inside on base? 

Yes, in a traditional 4/3 base formation. Schemed to pieces? What, like now? If I'm being honest, there is a lot of scheming on our part to gloss over Telvin's weaknesses like not getting off of blocks and lack of recovery when biting on play action. Teams are now exposing those weaknesses. Last year the Jags gave up a ton of explosive plays, both in run and pass.

Find the weakness and exploit it: Teams got out of 11 personnel which we match really well, to more 12, 21, and 22 which we don't match well because TEs kill Telvin and lighter CBs.

Anyways, with depth shrinking on the back end and LB play falling off, it would be rediculous to keep rolling with a 60%+ nickle and not address the heavier side. If you can get a big body ILB with above average speed, all the better (there are a few in this draft).

The amount of base we play is totally dependent on what the opponent uses though. So as long as we face 3 WR we'll have to counter most of the time with nickel or dime. So whatever happens it's Telvin and Jack as the backers for the vast majority of the time.

Also, I don't have stats for  how well we did in specific personnel groupings but we had one of the best first down defenses in run and pass for most of the year i.e where our base defense is played the most

Agree Telvin was a mess last year , so much so that you'd question if he can even get back to being above average in coverage like he was in 2017, Jacks floor seems pretty high there thankfully. 

Having a new base Mike is fine but it's a tiny part of the defense so i wouldn't use much assets at all to fix it (Ryan may be a guy we pegged for that very role).

(03-16-2019, 05:22 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: RB better be a priority. I harped on this last year and we did nothing in the draft. Fournette will sit out some games at some point. And his productivity/motivation is still somewhat suspect when he is healthy. He is going to need someone to trade out runs with before his body breaks down. Really thought we would get an RB in free agency but doesn't appear likely now.

Still wouldn't mind getting Grier if he is there after round 2.

We don't need to waste a draft pick on a RB. This RB is loaded and overcrowded. There will be several really good RB's who don't get drafted, because the class is just too big. We can address this via UDFA's.

I would like to see:

1st - TE (specifically Hockenson)
2nd - OL (Specifically Lindstorm)
3rd - WR
3rd - RB2 or QB backup (Grier if he falls)

I am undecided on how I think it may go but believe it’s more likely to be something along the lines of;

1st - DE or OT
2nd - OT or DE
3rd - TE
3rd - FS

From the little knowledge I have from reading as I don’t get to watch a lot of college games it seems this is a defensive draft. I don’t think the Jags will do what most of us are hoping and go Offense with the first four picks.

I don’t know why we would go DE, I know it’s a highly valued position, I think we look strong there when hoping some players will come on this year - Bryan / Smoot in particular. A lot of the experts are mock drafting us that way though and it scares me.

(03-16-2019, 08:24 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 03:02 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Yes, in a traditional 4/3 base formation. Schemed to pieces? What, like now? If I'm being honest, there is a lot of scheming on our part to gloss over Telvin's weaknesses like not getting off of blocks and lack of recovery when biting on play action. Teams are now exposing those weaknesses. Last year the Jags gave up a ton of explosive plays, both in run and pass.

The amount of base we play is totally dependent on what the opponent uses though. So as long as we face 3 WR we'll have to counter most of the time with nickel or dime. So whatever happens it's Telvin and Jack as the backers for the vast majority of the time.

Also, I don't have stats for  how well we did in specific personnel groupings but we had one of the best first down defenses in run and pass for most of the year i.e where our base defense is played the most

Agree Telvin was a mess last year , so much so that you'd question if he can even get back to being above average in coverage like he was in 2017, Jacks floor seems pretty high there thankfully. 

Having a new base Mike is fine but it's a tiny part of the defense so i wouldn't use much assets at all to fix it (Ryan may be a guy we pegged for that very role).

Another less likely scenario is that if Telvin doesn't bounce back in 2019, they could potentially put Jack at the Will spot and move on from Telvin in 2020. They'll owe 7mil in dead cap - but save far more (~ 18 mil) in salary. 

That requires a lot of ifs, and I'd rather see Telvin bounce back, but Myles Jack at the Will spot would probably be his best fit.